Haunted Houses - Jekyll Island Club Hotel


Jekyll Island Club Hotel


Why did we rate this "Confirmed"? Because multiple sources off the internet sites have experienced paranormal activity at this location & therefore warrants a rating of "Confirmed".

What's the tale? This 1887 Victorian hotel is home to some very prominent spirits. The ghost of J. Pierpont Morgan enjoys to sit on the third story porch early in the morning, the ghost of General Lloyd Aspinwall loves to walk the perimeter of the hotel and in the Aspinwall room, the ghost of Samuel Spencer haunts the room given his name, and a 1920s bellhop still haunts the second floor.

What do we know as fact? Thanks to this site we know the island saw its first structure when James Oglethorpe settled on the island naming it after his friend Sir Joseph Jekyll. Oglethorpe died in 1748 and his house had a number of different owners up until 1800. The clubhose was built between 1886-1888 and opened its doors in January 1888 becoming eventually the most exclusive, most inaccessible club in the USA. It was a thriving club during the early 20th century but World War I put a serious strain on the business and the Great Depression moved its prominent position down the ladder even further. The ultimate end of the thriving club was during World War II when all occupants of the island were ordered to evacuate by the US government. The state bought the island after the war and transformed it into a state park. It then became a hotel and business again after 1950 which is how it continues to operate today.

Thoughts: With the number of people who have lived, worked, visited and stayed for elongated periods of time on the island there is a great deal of activity and numerous reports between the hotel, clubhouse and cottages of paranormal activity from multiple sources.

Tags: Jekyll Island Club Hotel
Last update:
2011-07-23 20:44
Author:
riane
Revision:
1.0
Average rating:0 (0 Votes)

You cannot comment on this entry

Records in this category

Tags

Sticky articles