See the urban legends below. These stories are all over the internet... are they true? Read our reviews & investigations into each location by visiting: Creepy Hollows Haunted Houses Review

Remember that most of these locations are private property and trespassing is illegal!

Alabama
Anniston ~ Parker Memorial ~ A nun took her life within the halls of Parker Memorial by hanging herself. It is said her sobbing and choking can be heard from time to time and the transparent image of her noose has appeared on more than one ocassion.

Birmingham ~ Tutwiler Hotel ~ The original owner of the home, Colonel Tutwiler, still lives and roams about the now bed and breakfast hotel. His favorite part of the house is the kitchen where he waits until the day's work is through and the employees are ready to leave. He then turns on everything in the kitchen and has even been known to cook a meal and remove a bottle of wine!

The University of Alabama ~ said to be haunted by the spirits of civil war soldiers, both Union and Confederate. A Union soldier who was captured, tortured and murdered within the walls of the University is the most energetic of the lot. It is also said to be haunted by a man who hung himself in the University and the founder of the University library, Amelia Gorgas, who couldn't stop her work even after her death. A walk on the grounds of the University proves to be an enlightening experience.

Oxford ~ Hell's Gate ~ This bridge hosts the legend that if you walk to the middle of the bridge and turn around the road will look like the fiery gates of Hell. The legend began when a couple lost their lives on the bridge. Their car burst over the bridge to their watery grave below. It is said if you go onto the bridge at night, turn off your headlights and wait one of the couple will enter your car leaving a soaking seat behind!

Alaska
Anchorage ~ Dimond Center ~ While the Dimond Center was being built construction workers came across grave sites while digging. Because of the cost to stop construction and the delays it would cause they continued on and the disturbance of the resting hasn't been forgiven. Now numerous ghosts populate the area appearing mostly to those who walk the hallways or occupy the bathrooms alone.
Arizona
Bisbee ~ 45 OK St. ~ The Bisbee Inn is home to an older woman whose ghostly presence can be felt in what was Room 23 and is now Room 13. She is a benevolent presence and many welcome her appearance.

Bisbee ~ 116 Clawson Ave. ~ The Clawson House Inn is home to three murdered miners. After demands for better labor wages and conditions a strike broke out amongst the miners. Eventually the striking miners were driven from their jobs and were replaced. The three miners living at the Clawson home were strikebreakers who were found out and murdered by the striking workers who'd lost their jobs.

Bisbee ~ 26 Souls St. ~ Oliver House Bed and Breakfast is home to at least five different spirits. The most well-known being that of Nat Anderson who was shot and killed in the hallway of the home. The home was built in 1909 by Edith Ann Oliver, the wife of the owner of a local mining company. It was a home, then mining offices and now the Oliver House Bed and Breakfast where a side of paranormal comes with your stay.

Douglas ~ 1046 G Ave. ~ The ghost of Pancho Villa haunts the Gadsden Hotel. He is seen wearing military garb riding his horse up and down the marble staircase. His presence was not disturbed when the hotel burnt down in 1929 or its being remodeled in 1988.

Flagstaff ~ 409 Riordan Rd. ~ The beautiful log mansion known as the Riordan House State Park was built by the Riordan brothers who made a large fortune in the lumber industry. The home is haunted by Caroline Riordan and her daughter Anna. Their ghostly figures have been seen by employees and guests alike for many years.

Arkansas
Eureka Springs ~ 75 Prospect Ave. ~ The Crescent Hotel is the site of many ghosts. Built in 1908 it has had its share of issues. It has been a hotel, a college, a hospital and then a hotel again! During its stint as a hospital under the ownership of inventor and self-proclaimed doctor, Norman Baker, cancer patients who had been transported their for Baker's miracle cure died. They haven't left the hotel and continue to haunts its rooms and hallways. And the ghost of a construction worker who fell during construction into Room 218 has not left the room and people clamor to reserve the ghostly bedroom.

Gurdon ~ The Gurdon Light ~ If you are ever in the city of Gurdon stop at any local gas station, store, etc. and ask for directions to the Gurdon Light. It has been featured in photography, television programs and is the paranormal phenomena accepted widely as undisputed. It is about 75 miles south of Little Rock and you have to see it to believe it (and I recommend seeing it). A railroad worker accidentally fell into the tracks and was severed through the neck by the oncoming train (this is a heavily document fact). Shortly after his death a light appeared on the tracks and it swings back and forth up and down the tracks. Locals are certain the light is either the ghost himself or the lantern he carries looking for his lost head. Whatever the bond between the man and the light one thing is certain... it exists.

Little Rock ~ Mount Holly Cemetery ~ This is the not-so-final resting place of early Arkansas citizens. Senators, Governors, Confederate Generals, soldiers and the early inhabitants of Arkansas can be found roaming the cemetery day and night. It is the final resting place of David O. Dodd, the Confederate spy, who at age 17 was executed by the Union. There is more paranormal activity located within the cemetery boundaries than anywhere else in Little Rock. It is open to the public and therefore is a place not to be missed.

California
Long Beach ~ The Queen Mary ~ Known as the Grey Ghost during her active years in World War II she is now the host of ghosts. To date she has been the site of 49 reported deaths and there are at 20 known ghosts who roam her halls. She is now open for dinner and a ghost tour which is highly recommended if you are in Long Beach. You might see the spirit of crewmen, a man in the swimming pool, a woman in blue or a man in black... keep your eyes and mind open and you might see more than that! See the Site

Old Town San Diego ~ 2476 San Diego Ave ~ The Whaley House has supported the celebrity likes of Regis Philbin who stayed the night in the haunted home to experience the ghosts and experience them he did! Some time after midnight he and his companion saw "something" move from the study to the music room and when they turned on the flashlight it disappeared. The Whaley House was built atop a former gallows site. When you visit you may see... Jim Robinson who was hanged after stealing a boat, a girl with the last name Washburn died after a household accident while playing with the Whaley children, a woman in a print dress wearing gold hoop earrings in an upstairs bedroom, Mr. and Mrs. Whaley (they smell Mrs. Whaley's extravagant lavender perfume and Mr. Whaley's cigar smoke), Mrs. Whaley is also heard playing the piano and seen rocking in her rocking chair (sometimes holding an infant), and objects move around the house without reason. See the Site

San Diego ~ 1500 Orange Avenue ~ Hotel del Coronado is home to Kate Morgan. The beautiful con artist was once wife of Tom Morgan. The two ran scams via railroad. Kate was the beautiful vixen in Tom's plans and the two did quite well for themselves. Kate outgrew Tom's foolish ways and wanted a family. Kate became pregnant and she wanted a home of their own. Tom left Kate at the Hotel del Coronado and he was expected to return on Thanksgiving. Employees of the hotel said Kate looked ashen and sickly and it is later known once she realized Tom wasn't coming back to live their dream life she aborted the child by drinking large amounts of quinine. Five days after checking into the hotel she was found dead on the stairs outside of the hotel that lead to the beach. A housemaid Kate befriended also went missing and her body was never found. Now the two haunt the hotel and Kate's spirit is most strongly felt in her old room, room 3312. See the Site

San Jose ~ 525 South Winchester Blvd ~ Winchester Mystery House is home to the ghost of Sarah Winchester, the original owner and builder. She was the heiress to the Winchester rifle fortune and with those monies she built the most incredible mansion one has ever seen. It is has staircases that lead nowhere, doors in the floors, eerie angles and architecture that breed the emotions of fear. If you are easily frightened this is not the place for you, but for those of you who want a spine-chilling experience you must make the trip. See the Site

Colorado
Boulder ~ 646 Pearl Street ~ The Arnett-Fullen House is home to objects falling from the wall, a ringing telephone with no one on the other end, flickering lights and more. It hosts the legends and the spirits of two separate families, the Arnetts and the Fullens. It is open to the public and offers tours. See the Site

Denver ~ 1128 Grant Street ~ The Peabody-Whitehead Mansion located on "Millionaires Row" was home to both Governor James Peabody and William Riddick Whitehead. Dr. Whitehead was a battlefield surgeon during the Russian Crimean War and the American Civil War. The spirits within the home are not known but their presence is. Even today it is home to falling objects, objects being tampered with and temperature extremes. See the Site

Estes Park ~ 333 E Wonder View Ave ~ The Stanley Hotel was the inspiration for Stephen King's "The Shining" when he booked a vacation there at the end of the season and the hotel was virtually empty. Even though Stephen King stayed in room 217 it is rooms 408, 418 and the entire fourth floor is the most haunted. F.O. Stanley built the hotel that opened in 1909. He and his wife Flora haunt the hotel and are seen often by employees and guests. Flora plays the piano and is highly visible day and night spotted most frequently in the billiards room and the lobby. The handprints of children appear in the room on the fourth floor, mostly room 408. Guests hear the giggling voices of children in the hallways. See the Site

Connecticut
Poquetanuck ~ 109-111 Route 2A ~ Captain Grant's Inn is the haunted home of Captain William Gonzales Grant and his wife Mercy Adelaide Avery. He built the home for his wife in 1754. Captain Grant died at sea and Mrs. Grant lived well into her 80s. During the Revolutionary War the soldiers used the Grant's home as a garrison and during the Civil War the home protected runaway slaves. It is home to many spirits who make this charming mansion even more appealing. It is open to the public and should not be missed! See the Site

Griswold ~ 306 Preston Rd. ~ Homespun Farm Bed & Breakfast was purchased by Simon Brewster in 1740. He was the great-grandson of William Brewster who came over on the Mayflower in 1620. The Brewster family ran the farm for over 200 years. The ghosts of Simon and his wife still haunt their beloved farm home. It is open to the public. See the Site

Delaware
Delaware City ~ Junction of U.S. Highway 301 and Highway 7 ~ Fort Delaware has been home to many prisoners... from pirates to Confederate soldiers and therefore is home to many ghosts. Fort Delaware is a military fortress complete with its own dungeon. It's dungeon is the most haunted portion of the fort and now that it is open to the public you can experience for yourself the moaning, temperature extremes and noises of agony coming from its dungeon walls.

Dover ~ 151 King's Highway ~ The Woodburn Mansion is home to multiple spirits, mostly good and one bad. It was built in 1790 and its first haunting was reported in Judge Fisher's paper written in 1924. It is host the ghosts of Mrs. Bates's father, a white-wigged ghost who enjoys to drink expensive wine, a Revolutionary War period woman, a little girl in a red-checked dress, and the unpleasant slave raider. The home was a stop for the runaway slaves and one night slave raiders came to the home (Daniel Cowgill owned it at the time). He managed to run off the slave raiders but one hid in the Poplar tree that stands today. He lost his footing and fell into the branches where his head was caught in a hole of a split branch and there he hung until he died. His body can still be seen hanging to death. See the Site

Wilmington ~ 800 Carr Road ~ Bellevue Hall Mansion is home to many spirits that enjoy the 2nd and 3rd floors of this beautiful edifice. Unfortunately noone kept records of the Dupont family who owned the beautiful mansion or of the servants and employees who worked her grounds so the identity of the spirits are unknown. The spirits like to play games... they play with the lights, electrical devices, moving objects around the house, they also laugh, scream, make noises and in general are noisy. It is open to the public.

Florida
Anastasia Island ~ Near St. Augustine ~ The lighthouse on the island is home to the spirit of a young woman, a man who was hung on the island, and a few pirates. It is known that 13 executed pirates have their final resting place behind the lighthouse.

Miami ~ 5811 North Miami Avenue ~ Villa Paula Mansion was built in 1925 for Senior Don Domingo Milord, and his wife, Paula. He was the first Cuban Consulate in Miami. It went through a number of owners and hosts quite a few spirits. One spirit knocks on the door repeatedly, one spirit (thought to be Paula) shuts the bedroom door, the strong aroma of Cuban coffee comes from the kitchen, the strong scent of roses comes from the dining hall even in the winter season, two spirits appear visually to guests, you can hear the tapping of high heels on the stone path, and objects are moved (sometimes thrown) about the house. It is not open to the public.

Micanopy ~ 402 N.E. Cholokka Boulevard ~ The Herlong Mansion is home to one of the spirits of the Herlong family... Inez. Inez fought for over 15 years after her parents died to gain custody of the mansion from her 5 siblings. Shortly after she took possession of the Herlong Mansion at 68 years old she died of a diabetic episode in her bedroom. Her spirit still haunts her beloved home today. Workers and employees in the home hear phantom footsteps, hear whispers and feel her presence strongest in her room. The home is open to the public as a bed and breakfast.

Georgia
Jekyll Island ~ 371 Riverview Drive ~ This 1887 Victorian hotel is home to some very prominent spirits. The ghost of J. Pierpont Morgan enjoys to sit on the third story porch early in the morning, the ghost of General Lloyd Aspinwall loves to walk the perimeter of the hotel and in the Aspinwall room, the ghost of Samuel Spencer haunts the room given his name, and a 1920s bellhop still haunts the second floor.

Savannah ~ 123 Habersham Sreet ~ Kehoe House is now a bed and breakfast that is home to the spirits of William and Annie Kehoe and some of their children. William and Annie Kehoe were the original owners who were madly in love and had 10 surviving children. There were others Annie lost in miscarriage and others they lost from childhood accidents (their 5 year old twin sons died while playing in the chimney). Annie haunts mostly rooms 201 and 203 appearing to the guests who stay in those rooms. She can also be seen walking about the third floor. William can be seen walking throughout the house and seems to be keeping an eye on things. He has been known to make all the doors in the house, on all floors, open by themselves! There are lights that come from unknown sources, the sounds of children playing, the children will touch the guests while they sleep or sit downstairs... many have experienced this gorgeous haunted mansion and its spirits and we recommend you do too! See the Site

Savannah ~ 23 Abercorn Street ~ The Olde Pink House was built in 1771. James Habersham Jr., the original owner of the home, died in his beautiful mansion and his physical manifestation has been seen by every employee who has worked in the Olde Pink House in the months of October to March. He appears to patrons as well and has been known to make eye contact with patrons and smile. He also enjoys a candlelight atmosphere and will light the candles on the tables of the tavern if they are out. An unknown female presence haunts the second floor dining area, and there are the ghosts of slave children in the basement who play tricks with the restaurant's supplies and employees.

Hawaii
The spirits of many native Hawaiians walk the islands known as Hawaii. As centuries of ritual proceed its civilization by the English, French and Spanish the spirits of those sacrified in the volcanoes still take their walks towards death.

Honaunau ~ Pu'uhonau O Honaunau National Park ~ This is the location of the largest Huna temple. During the reign of Hawaii's old religion known as Huna, sinners who were caught breaking the laws had to make it to the temple at Pu'uhonau O Honaunau before being caught or they would be killed. If they made it to the temple they could work off their sin. There are many spirits that cry at the gates of the sanctuary at the temple... those poor spirits who didn't make it to the temple before being caught and killed.

Kawaihae ~ Pu'ukohola Heiau ~ It is the sacred site that receives its spiritual power from the natural spring at the base of the hill. In order to become king of all the islands in Hawaii Cheiftain Kamehamha built a temple in honor of the war god Ku and made the necessary ceremonies and human sacrifices. The temple is heavily haunted by those human sacrifices.

Idaho
Bayhorse ~ Yankee Fort ~ The ghost of a Bulgarian monk still haunts his home. While he was alive he would chase adventurous children away from his home and it is said to be something he enjoyed as well as the children. One day while he was chasing the children away he tripped and fell over a boulder to his death. He drowned in the Salmon River. His ghost is seen to this day running around the area.

Boise ~ 1109 Main Street ~ The Idaho State Penitentiary is home to many spirits of the incarcerated. The area known as "Siberia" is the solitary confinement area and emits freezing temperatures. The Rose Garden was once the area that hosted the gallows and many energy and temperature interuptions are around the Rose Garden. In Building 5 (Deathrow), an inmate jumped from the third story and killed himself, he is often seen as a greenish light.

Idaho City ~ Boot Hill Cemetery ~ Many ghosts circle this cemetery that hosts the spirits of many when the town was booming during the goldrush. It is now home to only a few hundred people. The cemetery has quite a few ghosts... old miners, teenagers, chinese girl and boy, young women and men all float about in this ancient cemetery. If you visit you are sure to have a paranormal experience.

Illinois
Belleville ~ Buried Alive ~ For many of us it is a horrific nightmare that we can hardly imagine coming true but for one Illinois resident it wasn't a dream at all. She had been sick for some time and one morning her husband found her "dead". A visit from the local doctor confirmed the "death" after a simple examination. Had they tried to embalm her the following events would have never happened. She was buried promptly and the night of her funeral grave robbers came to see if the newly deceased woman was buried with any valuables. They pried the lid off her coffin and one of the robbers tried to coax her ruby ring from her finger. When they couldn't budge the valuable he decided to cut her finger off to take the ring with him. As the blade sliced through her flesh her arm shook and a second later she was sitting straight up. Her eyes popped open and the pair of grave robbers screamed and fled the cemetery. The "dead" woman made her way home to the gasps and shock of her family. She told them she was aware of everything going on around her... she heard the doctor, the funeral and knew she'd been buried alive but couldn't speak or move. It was the pain of the knife that snapped her into recovery of her faculties!

Cairo ~ Litte Egypt ~ Dug Hill ~ A marshall named Welch was murdered near Dug Hill by Union Army deserters. It is a road that cuts through a hill about five miles west on Jonesboro on State Highway 146. Welch arrested the deserters and the soldiers were imprisoned. A few days later the prison received word that a peace treaty was signed at Appomattox and the soldiers were released. The enraged deserters lay in wait for Welch who had to take the road through Dug Hill to go home. When Welch passed the deserters attacked him and he was ultimately shot through the head. His body was found the next day, his horse tied to a tree. None of the deserters were ever convicted of his murder and Welch haunts the hill to this day.

Cairo ~ Litte Egypt ~ Dug Hill ~ This hill is also haunted by an entity known as the Boger. Somewhat of a resemblence to the bogeyman. Accounts of travelers through Dug Hill encountering a "hulking figure" appearing from nowhere and following closely behind them are large in number. There are those who refuse to travel through Dug Hill after dark.

Grand Tower ~ Devil's Bake Oven ~ It is but a short distance from the Devil's Backbone. They are rocky landmarks used by explorers, soldier, fur traders, boatmen, steamboaters and river pirates since the late 17th century. River pirates were large in number along the area of Devil's Bake Oven and Devil's Backbone. They would attack boats murdering the passengers and crewmen. Any belongings on the boat that were not ready for sale were dumped in the river. The Devil portions of the Mississippi River are packed with the wandering spirits of the murdered pirate victims.

McLeansboro ~ Lakey's Creek ~ Mr. Lakey gave his name to the creek that ran near the site of his new cabin home. Now there is a street that passes over the stream but long ago it was the location of Mr. Lakey's home. The cabin was nearly completed and he had only to lay clapboards. Several travelers the night of his death reported seeing him near his home working steadily. Early the following morning Lakey's torso was found propped against a tree stump and his severed head found a few feet away. Lakey's broadaxe was the murder weapon and his abrupt murder sent a shockwave through the community. Lakey was a kind, simple man who was a poor as a churchmouse. He had no enemies and his murderer and the motive were never discovered. The townspeople buried Lakey next to his never completed cabin. But! Lakey did not lay to rest. The night following his burial two men riding home near the Lakey cabin nearly reach Lakey Creek when they saw a headless man riding a black horse. The men were scared stiff and tried to gallop away from the headless ghost but no matter how they spurred their horses they could not get away from the specter. Later they admitted it did not seem the ghost was trying to be antagonistic but rather reaching out to them. Eventually Lakey's beloved cabin was demolished and made way for civilization and concrete bridge crosses Lakey's Creek. To this day Mr. Lakey's ghost haunts his beloved parcel of land and his creek.

Prairie du Rocher ~ The route between the ancient Fort de Chartres to the nearby cemetery on the 4th of July gives way to a phantom funeral procession. The original funeral occured on a Friday on the 4th of July. It can only be seen on a 4th of July that falls on a Friday between 11pm-12am has been witnessed by hundreds since its original procession in the mid 18th century. It was a procession for an aristocrat who was murdered and his murderers were never caught. The procession includes forty wagons followed by thirteen pairs of horsemen. Despite the large number not a single sound can be heard even though the hooves and wagon wheels kick up the dust of the earth around them and you can see the horsemen talking to each other. If you want to see the funeral procession here are the years when the 4th of July will fall on Fridays... 2014, 2025, 2031, 2042 and 2053... see the phantom funeral for yourself!

Quincy ~ Burton Cave ~ This was once quite the spot for having a picnic or spending the day with nature. However, it holds a quite mysterious secret most visitors are oblivious to. In the late 19th century a group of adults spent the day at the beautiful location of Burton Cave. An oncoming storm forced to seek shelter in the cave. As the sky had blackened it was nearly impossible to see and some of the group lit candles to light the way. As they neared the entrance to Burton Cave they saw a dark-robed figure spring from the cave and dart away. None of the group could identify the person as the hood cast a shadow over their face. The sleeves of the robe ran past where their hands would be and the hem puddled the floor. None wanted to continue but the increasing winds of the storm gave them little choice. Frightened and terrifed they moved inside the cave to seek shelter. None had previously explored the cave and were reluctant to move too far inwards... however, their eyes were captured by a faint glow coming from a cave ledge. As the group moved to the light they saw a woman, dressed entirely in white, laid out in burial pose with candles illuminating her still face and feet. It appeared to them all the woman was dead and this heart-stoppingly eerie sight sent the group in full sprint for their carriages despite the raging storm. Officials of Quincy visited Burton Cave the following morning and found nothing. The identities of the robed figure and the lifeless woman are still unknown.

Quincy ~ Madison School ~ Many years before the school was erected at Twenty-sixth and Maine streets a home stood on the location and a woman was murdered there. The killer(s) was never identified. The killer(s) grabbed the woman at the top of the staircase and dragged her screaming down the steps and at the bottom of the stairs stabbed her until she screamed no more. A trail of blood snaked across the floor of her home as the killer(s) dragged her to a closet under the staircase. The families who occupied the home before it was demolished said it was impossible to clean the victim's blood from the floor. Most of the families covered the blood-stained floor with carpet runners and needless to say no one dared use the closet. Since the home was destroyed to make way for Madison School it has not been able to shake the result of the gruesome murder and the school nearly burnt to the ground in 1982... a fire whose origin was never discovered...

Quincy ~ "Old Rebel House" in Quincy at Second and Vermont streets ~ The home harbored Confederate soldiers offering them a secure place to rest. It is said during the 1880s the devil visited the occupants of the home and confronted the two eldest siblings living in the home while their mother was gone. It is said he thrashed the mother's quilts about the home then curiously rearranged them on the hand railing of the stairs. Few question the children's story and many still believe.

Springfield ~ Sober Duck Disco & Rock Club ~ On June 27, 1968 Albert Cranor, the club's bartender shot himself in the head. He didn't die right away, he didn't die until the next morning. Since his torturous death Cranor has haunted the club giving patrons more than they asked for. Places in the Sober Duck plunge into freezing temperatures, bar glasses are thrown across the room, and one witness saw a disembodied head with an inhuman voice warn the club owner was soon to find his own death. Just as it was spoken Tom Blasko, the club owner, died.

Woodstock ~ The Opera House ~ A landmark of Elvira for years it has hosted the talents of Paul Newman, Betsy Palmer and Tom Bosley... it is also the home of a ghost, a very tragic young actress. The woman is known as Elvira, a passionate actress lived to be known as a great actress on the Opera House's stage. As she was rejected for a role in an upcoming production to be featured at the Opera House she threw herself from the belfry descending six stories to the ground below. She taunts young actresses who go to the Opera House in search of a role on the stage. The actresses report having a terrible urge to climb the belfry tower steps! Elvira has made appearances and her sightings have been told by members of the board of directors for the Opera House. She has proved to be a prankster. She moves props and sets about, she pushes scenery over even though they were securely tied down. Her seat in the Opera House is seat 113. It is often found in the "down" position though its spring-loaded mechanism holds the seat in an upright position if a human is occupying it. The seat has often been examined and has been declared in working order.

Indiana
Danville ~ Bridge over White Lick Creek ~ It is a bridge constructed by Irish workers during the railroad boom of the 1850s... it is also the final resting place of one of the workers. During the construction of the bridge a worker lost his balance and fell into the sucking concrete mixture. The idea of recovering the body was momentarily considered but the cost recovering the body coudn't outweigh the cost of progress and so the man was left in the trestle of the bridge. He was often seen on the bridge, a lantern clutched in his right hand. When he sees passersby he swings the lantern left to right in vain, trying to reach out for help. The bridge has since been destroyed but at the banks of the creek below they still see him trying to get help.

Dublin ~ Cry-Woman's Bridge ~ It was a rainy night and the young woman driving her car with her infant daughter in the back seat was driving too fast for the conditions. She lost control of her car and it plunged over the bridge into the swollen creek below. Her body was later found by rescuers but the body of her baby was never found... just a little pink blanket and a pacifier. The woman was buried and next to her was the baby blanket and pacifier. For years she haunted the bridge desperately crying out for her lost infant daughter. It broke the hearts of all those who heard her pleading cries.

Greencastle ~ DePauw University Library ~ The library has been home to a ghost librarian since the turn of the 20th century. The ghost is the late Governer James Whitcomb who previously given the University library his rare book collection. The Whitcomb contributions were to never leave the library but be used for research purposes only. However, over the years students would sneak the books from Whitcombs collection to their room and on each occasion the students reported being tormented in their sleep by a ghost demanding their return the book. A new library opened in 1956 and at that time Whitcomb's books were secured behind lock and key and that is where they sit to this day.

Indiana Dunes State Park ~ Diana of the Dunes as she is known was actually born Alice Mable Gray. The daughter of a well-to-do Chicago doctor. After a tumultuous break to a long-term love affair Alice moved to the remote dunes living on the sand of the dunes for a few days before finding an abandoned fisherman's shack. She moved into the shack and lived quietly. She traveled into nearby Miller, Indiana on foot for essentials and library books. The inhabitants of Miller found Alice to be a quiet, polite, kind woman but the same could not be said for those who came across Alice in the dunes. She was a naturalist and often swam in the nude. After a few stray fisherman found this and word spread voyeurs began to make Alice's tranquil life a living hell. Wives of the men who traveled to see her nude confronted Alice and she warned them away gun in hand. Sometime in the year 1920 Alice moved a man named Paul Wilson into her home. He was a wild hair himself and the two made a perfect match. He was an ex-con but did well living off the land. It was June 1922 when a few hikers found the rotting remains of a man. He had been strangled and authorities wasted no time in pointing their fingers at Paul Wilson. They went to arrest Paul and both Paul and Alice put up a fight. Paul was shot in the foot and Alice was cracked in the skull with the butt of a pistol. Paul was transported to jail and Alice to Mercy Hospital in Gary. The dead man was never identified and due to lack of evidence Paul was exonerated. Alice recovered and the two returned home to see their shack had been vandalized and their belongings gone. They moved to Texas but after a short stay they returned to the dunes. Shortly after their return Alice contracted uremic poisoning. On February 11, 1925 Alice died in the arms of Paul Wilson. Before she died she asked Paul to cremate her and spread her ashes over her beloved dunes but the authorities refused to let Paul build a funeral pyre so she was buried in Gary's Oak Lawn Cemetery. No one is sure where her body lies and at last Alice has found privacy. The site of her home is now covered by the homes of the development known as Ogden Dunes BUT a naked woman bathing at the dunes is still seen to this day. How she came to be known as "Diana" is unclear but Alice lives on at her beloved home.

Indianapolis ~ Hannah House ~ The stately red brick mansion was built in 1858, the home of Alexander M. Hannah. He was a state legislator, the postmaster, the sheriff and the clerk of the court. Prior to the civil war Hannah used the basement of his home as a stop on the Underground Railroad for fleeing slaves. His good deed didn't go unpunished as a tipped lantern set his basement ablaze and the fire killed most of the slaves who were hiding there. Their bodies were shoveled into a grave in the basement. Alexander and his wife Elizabeth Jackson were a kindly couple and Elizabeth joined Alexander in his home after their marriage in 1872. Elizabeth did not produce any heirs but only a stillborn child. After Alexander's death Elizabeth sold the home to a jeweler named Roman Oehler. And upon Roman's death his daughter Romena Oehler Elder inherited the mansion. Romena lived in the home until all her children grew up and moved away. An empty-nester she left the home and gave it to her youngest son, David. It sat vacant for six years and when David returned to his childhood home to make it suitable for occupancy again it started a wave of bizarre events. He was working on the home in 1967 when he heard glass breaking in the basement. Suspecting child's play he ran to the basement to find nothing disturbed. On both hot and cold days the stench of death plagues the home's second floor bedroom and the offensive odor of rotting flesh turns the stomach. Thankfully the smell of roses also occurs in the home on the second floor hallway for no reason as there are no flowers in the home or on the premises. The door of the second-floor bedroom often flys open into the hallway and a presence is sensed coming through the doorway. It is thought the bedroom is the site of Elizabeth's stillborn birth.

Terre Haute ~ Highland Lawn Cemetery ~ In 1920 John Heinl died and his beloved dog Stiffy Green was inconsolable. He refused to leave John's side and when family tried to pull the dog away Stiffy snarled and snapped. Eventually they were able to transport John's remains to the family mausoleum. Stiffy lay at the doors of the mausoleum and guarded his master's final resting place. The dog did not leave the mausoleum and when family members brought the dog home he found his way back to his master. There he sat day and night guarding his master and that is where he died. Stiffy Green passed away at the entrance to the mausoleum and Mrs. John Heinl didn't have the heart to separate John and Stiffy so she had the dog placed on the floor of the mausoleum near John. To this day if you peer through the filigreed bronze work of the doors you can see Stiffy's body. He guards the mausoleum at night and you can hear Stiffy bark when you walk past the mausoleum at night... he doesn't want you to disturb his master.

Iowa
Dubuque ~ 2241 Lincoln Street ~ The Ham House was buikt in 1837. It was built by Mathias Ham for his wife and five children. Mathias was an outspoken man who made his fortune through many ventures. From his home he could see the Mississippi River and alerted authorities one day when he saw river pirates harassing a ship. The pirates were arrested and the pirate captain vowed revenge on Mathia. But, by the 1890s none of the Ham family was alive save for Mathias's daughter Sara. She lived alone in the large mansion and one night she heard someone in the lower portion of her home. She stayed still and eventually the intruder left. The next day she told her neighbors of her frightful experience and they told Sara to put a lit lantern in the window if she needed help. The next night she heard the stranger's footfall. It was heavy and as the leaded footsteps came closer she lit a lantern, placed it in the window and readied her gun. The intruder's footfall grew heavier and louder, they were coming for her. They ran up the staircase and stopped outside her bedroom door. She pulled the trigger and fired two shots through her bedroom door. She screamed wildly in anticipation of what may come and stayed in her room, frozen with her finger on the trigger. The neighbors heard the shots and saw the lantern in her window. They came to see her and found a trail of blood smeared from her bedroom door, through the hallway, down the stairs and out of the front door. They found the dead pirate captain who had made it to the river's edge. It is known that at least 3 ghosts haunt the house. Lights are seen traveling through the house. The lights move through the hallways and up and down staircases. It is known that Mathia and Sara both haunt the house. Mathias makes appearances and moves things about the house. Sara haunts the home and can be seen walking throughout the house and plays the organ. The third floor makes anyone feel ill at ease and it is thought the pirate captain's ghosts haunts the floor where he met his grisly end.
Kansas
Kansas City ~ 720 West 4th Street ~ The Strawberry Hill Mansion was built in 1887 by lawyer John B. Scroggs for his wife Margaret. Margaret was a widow and brought her children with her to live in their new mansion. Margaret's eldest son died as a young man while living in the mansion but Margaret's three surviving children continued life within the walls. The middle child, Emma, married a man named John McFadden and they continued to live with Margaret and John after their marriage. After John and Margaret's death Emma and her husband inherited the mansion. In 1918 many children lost their parents to the flu epidemic that had swept through Kansas City. The McFaddens were selling the mansion at the time and so the Sisters of Saint Francis bought the home as an orphanage. The "Lady in Red" is the mansions most famous ghost. She can be seen all over the mansion and has been witnessed by many employees and guests. There is an unknown ghost that lives inside the attic. Their footsteps can be clearly heard pacing back and forth. An unknown male entity haunts the third floor and doesn't like to be disturbed by the living. He has been known to scare employees. It is open to the public Saturdays & Sundays.

Kansas City ~ 935 Shaunee Road ~ Sauer's Castle was built by Anton Philip Sauer while he was dying of TB. The home was finished in 1872 and boasts a beautiful red brick facade with a watchtower atop the roof so the viewer could see the Santa Fe Trail (back then it would have been in all its glory). Anton died in a second floor bedroom in 1879. Many of the Sauers died in the mansion...there was one suicide, one infant death, one child drowned in the swimming pool, and Anton's son, Julius, was killed in a train accident, burned to death. So aside from Anton and Mary's deaths of natural causes there are plenty of spirits to choose from. The home being so heavily haunted it has attracted trespassers and onlookers since 1930.

Kentucky
Frankfort ~ 218 Wilkinson Street ~ Liberty Hall Mansion was built by Senator John Brown in 1796. The structural plans of this fine mansion were designed and drawn up by Thomas Jefferson himself. Senator Brown had studied law in Jefferson's office. The Brown family lived at Liberty Hall until 1956, when this grand mansion was willed to the Colonial Dames of America, to be a "living museum of Kentucky history." The ghost of Mrs. Varick, Mrs. Brown's aunt, haunts the beautiful, red brick mansion the most. A caretaker while she was alive Mrs. Varick appears to still feel the loyalty to be the home's caretaker. She has been seen by many employees and guests. While the Brown family lived in the home Mrs. Varick's ghost was seen tucking them in, folding their blankets, straightening their clothes, and other acts of thoughtfulness are a mile long list. There exists a photograph of Mrs. Varick's ghost. While restoration work was being done on the mansion the curator took photographs and in one a grey lady can be seen coming down the staircase when there was no one there. See the Site

Louisville ~ Waverly Hills Sanitarium ~ More than 60,000 souls saw their last days in this Sanitarium. TB had a deadly epidemic stranglehold on Lousiville between 1910-1936. It was a disease that discriminated against no one... everyone, old - young, rich - poor, black - white found their deaths within the walls of Waverly Hills. There are so many spirits that live within the 29 acre Sanitarium it would be tiring to type them all. Needless to say it is a heavily haunted area and certainly worth seeing if you live in the area. See the Site

Louisiana
Baton Rouge ~ 7747 U.S. Highway 61 ~ The Myrtles Plantantion has seen more than 10 victims fall to murder and there are 12 ghosts who haunt the mansion and its grounds. It was built in 1796 atop an ancient Native American burial ground by General Bradford who had a price on his head due to his leadership during the whiskey rebellion. The mansion was owned by General Bradford's son-in-law, Judge Woodruff, in 1817. He had a torrent love affair with the housemaid Chloe. The judge ended the affair and when he caught Chloe eavesdropping on a business call he cut her ear off. In retaliation Chloe poisioned Mrs. Woodruff and their two daughters. The three died horrific, painful deaths. The deaths of the sweet angel children enraged the slaves on the plantation and they hung Chloe from a tree on the property. Chloe is an angry and vengeful ghost who has frightened many guests and owners of the Myrtles. The softer side of the ghosts are those of the Woodruff children. Little blonde cherubs they play about the mansion and the grounds, they peek through windows, can be heard giggling and playing with toys. The ghost of William Winter haunts the 17th step of the mansion's staircase. Sarah & William lived in the mansion from 1860 - 1871. William was shot in the chest by an unknown man as he came out the door. He managed to stagger back into the house and up the stairs, before dying in Sarah's arms on the 17th step. His unseen presence is heard today as he relives the last moments of his life by thumping and staggering across the entrance way, and up the stairs to the 17th step.

Lafayette ~ 1905 Verot School Road ~ T'Freres House and Garconniere is home to the ghost of Amelie. Many families have lived in the white-washed mansion since it was built in 1880 but Amelie is the most active ghost. Shortly after buying the home Amelie's husband died. Not long after her husband's parting Amelie was washing her face from the water in the well and she was either pushed or fell to her death at the bottom of the well. Her death was ruled a suicide by the Catholic Church and when they buried her they did not bury her next to her dearly departed husband! She is a disgruntled ghost who plays with the lights, doors, objects in rooms and becomes agitated when people discuss her aloud. If anyone plays hymns on the piano she will throw hot candle wax across the keys in dispute of the Catholic Church's decree of her cause of death. She does have a soft side as previous owners have stated she has helped their children with their homework, nursed the ill back to health and woke one of the families when a fire started and was able to save them all.

Maine
Kennebunk ~ 45 Main Street ~ Kennebunk Inn was originally built by Phineas Cole in 1799 for his family. It was owned by a number of families before it was converted into an Inn in 1920. The ghosts of the Inn have been known to throw wine glasses and goblets across the room, silverware and chairs move by themselves, guests who stay the night have been disturbed by a moaning, raspy voice, and guests have walked into freezing air. The ghosts are thought to be Silas Perkins and Cyrus... Silas owned the Inn for a good many years and Cyrus was a desk clerk who worked in the Inn for many years.

Tenant's Harbor ~ East Wind House ~ It is now a beautiful home open from April - November as an Inn and for dining. It was built in 1860 by John Fuller, a local businessman. As the Inn was originally home to a general store, a masonic lodge, a sewing factory and a tin shop all occuring at the same time the Inn has seen it's fair share of humans. The third floor and attic is haunted by a very disturbed woman who was strangled and stabbed to death on the acreage of the Inn in the late 1800s. There have been grey manifestations floating on the staircases, wailing and moaning sounds, unknown presences frighten dogs that come onto the property, and there are temperature extremes throughout the Inn and its property.

Maryland
Annapolis ~ 2 Market Space ~ Middleton Tavern was built in 1740 and was originally a private residence. In 1750 the owner, Elizabeth Bennett, sold her home to Horatio Middleton, a ferry operator who by law needed to have lodging for his customers. During the Revolutionary War era, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin stayed here during their travels. Other members of the Continental Congress also stayed in this tavern on various occasions when they met in the Maryland state house. Since its erection over 260 years ago it has seen literally hundreds of spirits come through its doors so it is difficult to say who, exactly, haunts within its walls. Ghosts have materialized but due to the hazy nature of their shadows it is difficult to tell if they are men or women. The heavy smell of cigar smoke rises and lingers in the rooms, dishes, chairs, silverware, and other objects are thrown about the rooms, noises and laughter echo in the hallways. If you have a chance to stop at the tavern it is certainly worth it. See the Site

Towson ~ 535 Hampton Lane ~ The Hampton House is truly one of the greatest mansions in the United States. It was originally built on 2,000 acres but now resides on the surviving 60 acres. It is open to the public and is currently owned by the Federal government as its beauty and architectural stature is unmatched. The home is haunted by Priscilla Ridgely, who was the wife of Charles Carnan Ridgely (the original owner and governor of Maryland). The home was completed in 1790 and Priscilla walked it gilded halls. She suffered from an agonizing mental depression and took little care of their 11 children. She spent the majority of her life along, holed up in her bedroom. She never took visitors and didn't entertain guests and she died a very unhappy woman. She has been seen in most of the rooms in the house. It seems in death she has found the will to walk around the mansion's halls once again. Many employees, guests and previous Ridgely family members have witnessed Priscilla manifesting physically before their eyes.

Massachusetts
Sudbury ~ 72 Wayside Inn Road ~ Longfellow's Wayside Inn is 300 years old, being built in 1707. It was built by David Howe for his pregnant wife and their expected family (they went on to have seven children). In 1717 Howe converted his home to an Inn and provided dining and entertainment as well. It went on to David's son, Colonel Ezekiel Howe, who managed the Inn and changed the name to "The Red Horse". It became a meeting place for the militia to group and organize before they followed Colonel Ezekiel on April 19, 1775 to fight in Concord during the Revolutionary War. Colonel Ezekiel passed the Inn to his son, Adam Howe, in 1796 who in turn passed it to his son Lyman in 1830. Lyman never married and died childless. The most famous person to sign in to stay at the Inn was Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, who came for a rest, to recover from his wife's death and to find inspiration to overcome his writer's block, in 1862. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow indeed found comfort and inspiration here. He wrote his book, Tales of a Wayside Inn in 1863 in the Hotel parlor. In 1897 Edward Lemon bought the Inn and remodeled the entire property. He renamed the Inn to Longfellow's Wayside Inn as to take advantage of its most famous guest. Edward Lemon died and his widow sold the property to Henry Ford in 1923, who renovated the Inn, moved the old school house onto the property, and made the last additions to the Inn. The ghost of Jerusha Howe still haunts the Inn. A lovesick young woman she still waits for her love to come rescue her. She fell in love with a man fron England who wooed and courted her during his stay in Massachusetts, but he left and never returned. Jerusha believed his promises to come back and make her his wife and she died unmarried waiting for her lover. She still waits and it was her powerful testament of love that developed the "Secret Drawer Society". Those who have worked or stayed at the Inn who have felt Jerusha's presence leave her notes in the drawers of the desks and tucked inside other crannies of the house.

Yarmouthport ~ 277 Main Street ~ The Colonial House Inn was built in 1710 by Captain John Minot. In 1730 another part of the present building was built next to the Minot house by the Josiah Ryder family, a two story Federal style home with a hip roof, an attic and a basement. The Ryder family lived there for only a short time. Captain Joseph Eldrige bought the home. During the Revolutionary War, this house was used as a hospital and room 24 was Dr. Minot's operating room. The ghosts that haunt the Inn are those kindly spirits who died under the good doctor's care... perhaps they feel they owe the doctor the favor of watching over his beautiful, beloved, stately home. They can be seen and felt in most of the rooms of the house - the upstairs and downstairs as well as the grounds surrounding the home. In room 224 the entities of Dr. John Minot, Ralph Waldo Emerson and an Indian girl have made their presences known to the living. They have appeared, separately, as physical manifestations to employees and guests of the Inn. Is the most popular room to stay in and the most haunted. See the Site

Michigan
Reed City ~ 110 E Upton Ave ~ Osceola Inn was originally a structure known as The King Hotel and Saloon built in 1881, but it burned to the ground in 1884. It was prompty rebuilt in brick, rather than wood, and was operational well into the early 1900s. It was purchased by Ray and Anita Rogalla in the 1940s and was renamed teh Osceola Inn. The ghosts inhabiting this old structure include a couple by the name of Josephine and Andrew who stayed on the third floor during the early 1900s. Andrew severely beat Josephine during their time on earth and despite their deaths she still cannot bear to be away from him. Their presence is one not to be encountered as the energy around the pair is stifled with anger. Peter is a ghost that haunts the second floor. During the 1940s he lived in the hotel while trying to make his life as a gambler. He was a miserable gambler and eventually took his own life in a room on the second floor. Audrey is a female ghost who had lived in the Inn with her children. She died from an unknown illness and she is still looking for her children. Louisa haunts the second floor with Peter as she fell down the second floor stairs and died.
Minnesota
St Paul ~ 476 Summit Avenue ~ Griggs Mansion is a privately owned home so please respect their privacy. It has the reputation of being the most haunted home in Michigan. In 1883 a wealthy businessman named Chauncey Griggs built this home. He only lived in the home for 4 years before moving out West to seek other business ventures. The greatest amount of hauntings appear on the 4th floor of the Griggs Mansion. The mansion's spiritual occupants are a young maid, a gardener, a child apparition, a thin man in a black suit, a teenager, Amy, and a Civil War general, perhaps Chauncey Griggs himself. In 1915 a young, heart-broken woman hung herself on the 4th floor of the mansion. The gardener, Charles Wade, haunts the grounds of the home desperately trying to upkeep his prized garden. The thin man dressed in black was witnessed through physical manifestation by two occupants of the home at separate times. Occupants have witnessed drastic temperature changes, coughing sounds, wailing sounds, footsteps that pace the hallways, door and windows flying open or shut, annoying noises in the middle of the night, occupants being shaken awake in the middle of the night and other disturbing acts. There are many inexplicable events that occur at Griggs mansion and its wild antics have earned it the title of Michigan's most haunted!
Mississippi
Madison ~ 674 Mannsdale Road ~ Chapel of the Cross is an Episcopal Church built in 1852. The Chapel and its graveyard are closed promptly at 6 p.m. to give the ghosts their respected privacy. A young woman in her twenties is seen crying over the grave of Henry Vick. In 1857 the love of Helen, Mr. Henry Vick, was killed in a duel. He killed just two days before their scheduled wedding. Helen cried unconsolably at his gravesite for a long period of time before her family convinced her to move on with her life and she moved to Europe. She later married a minister but it is obvious she never forgot the pain of her lost love. The organ inside the church is played by unseen hands after 6 p.m.. There is non-stop giggling and laughter that breaks out inside and outside the Church. The bloodstains of a murdered woman appear on the Church's stone floor. A caretaker of the Church beheaded his wife then hung himself by the Church's rafters. It is heavily haunted and is worth seeing if you are in the area. See the Site

Natchez ~ 36 Melrose Avenue ~ Monmouth Plantation was built by John Hankison in 1818. General John A. Quitman bought the mansion and its acreage in 1826. His family maintained ownership of the plantation until 1914 after which the mansion fell into the hands of multiple owners. The ghost haunting the plantation is General John A. Quitman who died a very long, painful, tragic death after being poisioned. He has made his presence known on more than one occasion. He has appeared to employees and guests in his full military garb and his regular day-to-day clothes... he watches over his home closely and makes it known when someone does something to the plantation he disagrees with. His heavy stomping can be heard coming from the attic down the stairs and through the house. It is open to the public.

Vicksburg ~ 1010 First East Street ~ The Anchuca Mansion was built in 1830. It is now a lovely B&B that you can take a tour through for just $6. One of the mansion's owners was Joseph Emory Davis, the wealthy owner of Hurricane plantation and brother of Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederate States of America. It is from this balcony that Jefferson Davis conceded defeat to the Union forces in a speech to the townspeople. The ghosts of this beautiful mansion include a young woman named Archer who can be seen in a brown dress haunting the parlor. In the slave quarters strong presences are felt and so far are not threatening. The home also served as a hospital for Civil War soldiers and there is one soldier left from its hospital days who has not left the mansion.

Missouri
Kansas City ~ 4347 Oak Street ~ Donaldson House was built in 1901. Mr. and Mrs. Lewin W. Donaldson owned the home until 1967 when it was sold to the Kansas City Art Institute who used it for many years as offices and studios. 8 different spirits have been identified within the home and only one of them is benevolent. The other 7 are very annoyed with the living and make life very difficult for those who try to go about their business. They make their presence known through shrewd noises, throwing and strewing papers and objects about the home and general miserable antics.

St. Genevieve ~ 1 North Street ~ The Guibourd-Valle Home was built in 1784 by a French settler. It has slave quarters and was originally built to house Spanish officers. The first owner on record was a Frenchman Jacques Guibourd. The Guibourd family lived in the house from 1806 - 1906. The ghosts are unknown in identity but are believed to be family members of the Guibourd family. They are all benevolent spirits who seem to bring a happy, loving feeling to the home. Those who have experienced their presence say it is like a warm breeze coming over your body and you feel at peace.

St. Louis ~ 3322 DeMerit Place ~ Lemp Mansion was built in the 1868 by Jacob Feickert with his son-in-law's money, William J. Lemp, Sr. William bought the mansion in 1876 and tunneled a cave from the mansion to the brewery he owned so it would be connected. Later some of the cave space was converted into an auditorium, a theatre, a swimming pool and a bowling alley. In 1922 William Lemp Jr. sold everything, including the brewery and its property, one year before prohibition. His brother, Charles, bought the mansion and transformed it back into a family dwelling. Charles died in 1949, one year after his 30 year old nephew who had downs syndrome. The mansion fell into strangers hands over the years and was eventually converted into an upscale bed and breakfast. The mansion is haunted by many of the Lemp family members. William Lemp, Sr. haunts the home still restless from his son's death in 1901. Mrs. William Lemp who died of cancer in an upstairs bedroom wanders the home. In 1922 William Jr. shot himself after selling the brewery and the death of his sister in the same room his father took his own life. Lillian Hadlen Lemp known as the "Lavender Lady" haunts the home desperately seeking her husband's, William Jr., affections (he had driven her away and divorced her out of his own self-misery). William's son, who had downs syndrom and was known as "Monkey-Face Boy" during his life runs through the home with his youthful exuberance. He is most often heard in the attic where he was stashed and ignored most of his life out of the family's shame (he was the birth of an affair). Elsa Lemp Wright shot herself in her bed on the 2nd floor on March 20, 1920. She was suffering from a painful illness and still wails through the home in agony. In 1943 William Lemp III died of a heart attack at the young age of 42. Charles shot his dog in the basement, though the dog's body was found halfway up the back stairway, which goes up to the third floor. Charles then shot himself in his 2nd floor room. Needless to say the mansion is restless and quite busy with the ghosts' antics. Who says money buys everything? It bought the Lemp family nothing but turmoil and gruesome deaths.

Montana
Bannack ~ Bannack Ghost Town ~ The entire town is haunted by spirits. Fourteen infants died in the Amede Bassette house during a smallpox epidemic, you can still hear the babies' cries. A girl who drowned in Grasshopper Creek can also be seen wandering the town.

Butte ~ 219 West Granite Street ~ Copper King Mansion was built in 1888. William Andrews Clark built the mansion for his wife Katherine and their six children. Katharine died in 1893. Clark remarried in 1901 to a lovely woman, Anna Lachapelle, with whom he had two daughters. One of these girls died of meningitis at the age of 17, but the other daughter is still going strong, living in New York. Upon Clark's death the mansion was left to his son. His son was an avid gambler who soon lost his inheritance and the mansion was sold. All of the original furniture was sold off and the mansion eventually was sold to a Catholic Church and it became the nun's quarters. It was sold again and after sitting vacant for 3 years it was turned into a bed and breakfast which is open to the public May-September. The mansion is haunted by unknown entities who leave strong temperature changes in their wake as well as communicating through loud noises, knocks, footsteps and whispers.

Helena ~ 600 Harrison Street ~ Kleinschmidt House was built in 1892. It was the home of Theodore H. Kleinschmidt and the love of his life, Mary M. Blattner who was from St. Louis in 1867. They had 6 children, one of whom died in childhood. Five children who survived were Theodore Jr., Arthur, Marie, Eugene and Erwin H. In 1904, Mary Kleinschmidt died and her grieving husband held the funeral in the mansion. The original lady of the house, Mary Kleinschmidt and her young son, who died in childhood, have been heard and seen throughout the years. They have both manifested physically and have been seen by owners of the home. It is still a private residence.

Nebraska
None listed - please tell us if you know of any haunted homes or areas in Nebraska!
Nevada
Carson City ~ 710 West Robinson St. ~ Bliss Mansion was completed in 1879 by lumber millionaire Duane L. Bliss. In order to complete the mansion he had to exhume the bodies that existed on the property that was once an 1860s grave yard. His disregard for the resting has caused the spirits of the dislocated dead to haunt the home and its property.

Virginia City ~ MacKay Mansion ~ Located on D street it is the home of three ghosts. The first is thought to be a servant as she walks up and down the stairs all day long. The second is a lady who floats about on the third floor, the way she is dressed suggests she is a former lady of the house. The last is a Colonel who occupies the kitchen and is often seen sitting at the kitchen table.

New Hampshire
Henniker ~ Highway 114 ~ Henniker House is home to "Ocean Born" Mary. She is was nicknamed so because she was born on the Irish Immigrant ship the "Wolf" in 1720. The residence is privately-owned but you may be able to visit the house if you contact the Chamber of Commerce first. The day Mary was born on the "Wolf" the ship was boarded by pirates. Seeing Mary's birth on the ship the captain told the Mary's mother she was to name the baby "Mary" in honor of his mother. Mary's mother complied and the pirate spared her life and the life of Mary. Mary's mother continued her voyage eventually settling in Londonderry. Mary grew up and married a man name Wallace, she bore him four sons and they lived their adult lives in Londenderry. Shortly after the birth of their fourth son Mary's husband died and Mary was left a widow. The pirate who had spared her life all those years ago had made permanent residence in Henniker. Through the grapevine he had heard of the widow Wallace and discovered it was the same Mary he had named aboard the "Wolf". He sent word to Mary and asked that she and her four sons come to live with him, and they did. She married the pirate and lived on his 6,000 acre grand estate. The pirate was eventually murdered. Mary found him dying of a knife-inflicted wound in the garden and as his wishes stated she had him buried under the hearthstone in the kitchen. Mary died in 1814 at 94 years old but she never left the house. She haunts it to this day appearing frequently as an apparition to owners of the home.

Portsmouth ~ 40 Court Street ~ The Sise Inn was built in 1881. It was built by John Sise for his family and it remained a private residence until the mid-1930s when it was converted into business space. Through the years the mansion has served as business offices, a doctor's suite of offices, a beauty parlor, a fashion shop, apartments, and a half-way house for mental patients. Suite 204 is the hotspot for paranormal activity as an Mr. and Mrs. Sise continue to haunt the house. They disturb the ice machine, play with the doors and windows, lock and unlock doors and windows at their pleasure, make disturbing noises, knock on doors, ring the telephones and other general nuisance. Looks as though they don't enjoy their home being remodeled.

New Jersey
Cape May ~ 720 Washington Street ~ Built in 1863 the Southern Mansion Inn was home to rich industrialist George Allen and his family and descendants for 83 years. The last of the Allen descendants passed away and the home was sold. It was converted into a boarding house and continued to operate as such well into the 1980s. Eventually the home fell into disrepair and wasn't rescued until the 1990s. Many people have called the Southern Mansion home and there are many spirits who never left. Strong scents of perfume, cigar smoke, and flowers fill the upstairs bedrooms, misty apparitions appear throughout the home, the sound of a woman moving through the home can be heard, numerous orbs and streaks of light have been captured on film, temperature extremes can be felt throughout rooms in the house, doors open and lock all by themselves, and sometimes the owners and guests have been touched by the ghosts.

Somerset ~ 1289 Easton Avenue ~ In 1752 the Evert Van Wickle home was built as a wedding present for Evert and Cornelia Van Wickle. The couple died the same day, March 3rd, 1757. They are buried, side-by-side, under a tree on the estate. The home was a private residence until 1976 when the town bought it for restoration. But through its many change of hands one thing is certain... everyone has experienced the ghosts of Evert & Cornelia. Pools of water appear for no reason, cats hiss at the ceilings, objects fly through the air, slamming doors, radios and televisions flipping on and off.

New Mexico
Cimarron ~ Intersection of U.S. Highwy 64 and Highway 21, at 17th and Collinson Streets ~ The Saint James Hotel was built in 1880. The hotel was built by Henn Lambert, a former cook of General Grant and President Lincoln. Many famous people stayed at the hotel including Annie Oakley, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Sheridan, Zane Grey & Bat Masterson and so did many criminals who considered New Mexico a haven from legal justice. There are 26 documented murders that occured in the Saint James and who knows how many undocumented ones. There are 22 bullet holes in the dining room's ceiling and the only thing preventing those bullets from killing patrons sleeping in the rooms upstairs was a double layer of heavy wood... seems the builder anticipated the Saint James reputation. Needless to state the Saint James is a heavily haunted building. You should visit if you have a chance. It is haunted by Mrs. Lambert, three child spirits who died in the Saint James, a little man nicknamed the "Little Imp", cardplayer T. James Wright haunts room 18, and numerous others haunts the halls and bedrooms of this antique establishment.

Santa Fe ~ 330 East Palace Avenue ~ La Posada was built in 1882 by Abraham Staab. The family trouble began when the seventh Staab child died shortly after birth. The tragedy sent Abraham's wife Julie into a dark depression. She kept herself locked in her room until her death at 52 years old in 1896. Abraham followed her in 1913. Though the home has changed many hands through the years Julie has never left it. Room 256 was her bedroom and it is where she died. The room is heavy with paranormal activity and sometimes Julie wanders to other parts of the home. Her ghost has been witnessed by owners, employees, guests and workers who have remodeled the home. She is usually dressed in black and moves about the home. She is also known to draw a bath in the tub late at night. She will also sit in the chairs, move objects around the home and touch occupants of the home lightly on their shoulders.

New York
New York City ~ 1765 Jumel Terrace ~ The Morris Jumel Mansion was built by Colonel Rodger Morris before the Revolutionary War. The home served as a headquarters for George Washington in 1776. Stephen Jumel bought the mansion in 1810 as a fixer-upper and that he and his wife did. Five different ghosts haunt the second and third floors of this beautiful home. It is now a museum open to the public and so we recommend you visit when you are in Manhattan. School students waiting outside for the tour to began received a visit from Mrs. Jumel as she hushed them from the balcony. She was dressed in a purple gown and the children did not realize they'd been corrected by a ghost until one of the students mentioned it to the tour guide. Guests have felt the presence of Stephen Jumel, her first husband, as well as her second husband, the infamous Aaron Burr. A soldier has appeared to numerous people in different locations throughout the home, a servant girl carrying trays has been witnessed walking up and down the stairs. A teacher who had a heart condition suffered a fatal heart attack in the mansion after seeing a ghost appear to her. So you must remember if you don't want to see a ghost, don't go looking for them. See the Site

New York City ~ 1564 Broadway ~ The Palace Theatre has had its stage performed on by Irving Berlin, Eddie Cantor, Leon Errol, Helen Keller, Sophie Tucker, Blossom Seeley, Harry Houdini, Fanny Brice Jack Benny, Judith Anderson, George Burns and Gracie Allen, Laurette Taylor, Helen Morgan, Bob Hope and Ethel Merman. These stars brought fame to the theatre but there is one performer who never left, Louis Borsalino of the "The Four Casting Pearls" . While attempting a tight-rope walk acrobatic routine he fell to his death on the stage below. This horrific demise was witnessed by terrified audience. Louis still walks his phantom rope above the stage and many have seen him repeat his gruesome death over and over.

North Carolina
Asheville ~ 119 Dodge Avenue ~ The Reed House was built in 1892 by one of George Vanderbilt's lawyers, Samuel Harrison Reed... and Mr. Reed never left the house. Owners and guests have heard thundering footsteps barging through the house, a Christmas tree rose up and was thrown a short distance, phantom games of pool are played on the pool table, and The Circus Room and The Lavender Room have doors that open and close at will.

Charlotte ~ 400 Hermitage Road ~ White Oaks was built in the 1920s by tobacco tycoon, James Duke. The house was later to be owned by a man named Jon Avery and his family. Jon had his ailing wife commited to an insane asylum where she later died. Jon, his mother and his sisters continued to live in the mansion. Jon fell in love with a woman who had come to write a story about White Oaks but the woman didn't want to be involved with a married man. Jon didn't want to give up the opportunity to be with the woman and got her to agree to meet with him a year later at in the garden. During the year apart the woman became engaged to another man. But she didn't want to be rude so she took a friend with her to meet Jon Avery in the garden on their scheduled date at 11:50pm. She was met by Jon Avery but not in the flesh, she met his ghost! He had died a few days prior and had not forgotten their date. And since that time he appears the same time every year for his unrequited love.

North Dakota
None listed - please tell us if you know of any haunted homes or areas in North Dakota!
Ohio
Cincinnati ~ 3517 Cornell Place ~ Stenton House is a victorian mansion built in 1850. The original owner of the home commited suicide within and afterwards the home sat vacant until it became a school in 1900. One student hung herself in a bedroom upstairs and another student was found stabbed to death on the stairs. Around 1945 the home was converted into apartments. Precisely at 2:10 A.M nearly every night you hear a loud thud, the sound of a body hitting the floor. Phantom footsteps walk the staircase, doors slam and lock at will and dogs owned on the property have been known to bark, snarl and refuse to go inside.

Cleveland ~ 4308 Franklin Boulevard Northwest ~ Franklin Castle was built in 1864 by Hannes and Luise Franklin. The year 1881 brought the beginnings of many suspicious deaths of the Franklin family members. 15 year-old Emma Franklin and Hanne's 84 year-old mother died of unknown causes. In 1883 three more Franklin children died of an "illness" that had neighbors begging for an investigation. The deaths took a toll on Luise who had hidden rooms and turrets built in the mansion and they still exist today. After Luise died Hannes sold the mansion and since that time is has passed through many hands. To this day, however, it still sits vacant as these incidents have been reported by all who have owned the mansion... doors have been seen flying off their hinges without any visible help, lights freely go on and off by themselves, chandeliers twirl with no help from air currents, mirrors fog up without a logical reason and murmuring voices can be clearly heard in visibly empty rooms, the loud, mournful crying of a child, long dead, seeing a sad little girl in a long dress, organ music coming from a non-existent organ, heavy footfalls on the third floor, an eerie, "vaporous blanket of fog" materialize right in front of them, phantom phone ringing in the middle of the night, having the blankets pulled off sleeping people.

Hiram ~ 25 miles southeast of Cleveland ~ The Garfield House was built in 1836 and was a boarding school for students. James Garfield was one of the students who stayed in the Garfield House. His friend, Almeda Booth, was also a student who stayed in the Garfield House. James Garfield married Lucretia in 1856 and the couple lived in the home until 1861 when he joined the Union Army to fight in the Civil War. James Garfield went on to be elected President, but was assassinated after only serving one term in office, on Sept. 19th, 1881. A teacher named Marcia Henry bought the mansion in 1907 and after her death was willed to the Hiram College. The ghosts of James and Lucretia Garfield, Marcia Henry, Almeda Booth and a boy named Andrew haunt the mansion and have caused these events: Whenever someone leaves the mansion, the dining room light pops on, whenever Garfield's name is mentioned, the dining room light flickers, lights in the bedroom turn on at 3:20 AM, faucets are found running, the temperature in the kitchen and dining room is sometimes freezing cold, dogs have refused to enter these rooms, objects in the house moved and flew on their own, candles suddenly explode, sending wax everywhere, the smell of cigar smoke is so strong your eyes water, a crossword puzzle in the paper had been done over night for the living, in a handwriting style not like anyone in the owner's family, the front door opens by itself, even when it was securely locked, the owner's let a tape recorder run to see if they could pick up anything... when they played back the tape they heard a man and a woman speaking Greek, discussing where to hang the picture (Garfield was fluent in Greek, and so was his wife), on various occasions all the pictures on the walls were taken down and placed in neat piles on the floor, and other various paranormal occurence haunt this mansion.

Oklahoma
Guthrie ~ 1016 W. Warner ~ The Stone Lion Inn was built in 1907 by F.E. Houghton who had a family comprising of 12 children! The Houghton family owned it until it was sold in the 1920s and became a boarding house, then a funeral home and then a boarding house again. The home saw its first death... little Augusta Houghton who died of whooping cough. The home is primarily haunted by her and a few other stray spirits from the time when the home operated as a funeral home. The footfall of a child can be heard throughout the home and little Augusta likes to tap the faces of sleeping patrons of the Inn. A male apparition has been seen in the basement more than once and the ghost of a maid has been seen carrying trays, blankets and other objects throughout the home. The Oklahoma Ghost Patrol keeps close watch on this heavily haunted mansion.

Tulsa ~ 1400 Gilcrease Museum Road ~ Gilcrease House was built in 1913 by Flower Nelson, a local lawyer. The Nelsons lived in the home until Thomas Gilcrease saw the beautiful sandstone mansion and made the Nelsons an offer they couldn't refuse. The Gilcrease family owned the mansion from 1914-1962. There was a short period of time when the Gilcrease family didn't live in the mansion. In the 1943, the house became a home for orphan Indian children from nearby reservations, until Thomas Gilcrease moved back into the home in 1949. Thomas Gilcrease haunts his beloved home to this day.

Oregon
Oregon City ~ 713 Center Street ~ McLouglin House & Barclay House is a white mansion that was built in 1845 by Dr. John McLoughlin. He was the founder of Oregon City in 1842. He was a tender-hearted man who served as the doctor, mayor and investor for the town. He would put up travelers coming through the city in his own home and after he retired he took charity cases for those who didn't have any money for their health care. He was married to a woman named Marguerite. After his death on September 3rd, 1857 his daughter sold the mansion and it became and elegant hotel. It has also been used to house Chinese workers of a wool mill, then a brothel, then an apartment complex and finally it was saved in 1909 when it became a museum (as it is today). Dr. John McLoughlin and his wife Marguerite both haunt the mansion. The doctor has manifested in human form in his bedroom and many have seen him. He plays a harpsichord and the music can be heard throughout the home. On September 3rd, every year, when the sun hits his face on his portrait above the fireplace his face glows eerily. Marguerite manifests in human form and many have seen her peering through the 2nd floor window. She smoked tobacco pipe and when you are upstairs you can smell the smoke. She has also been known to put her hands on the owners and the guests of the museum. There are other ghosts as well haunting the home. While the home was a brothel a murder was committed in the parlor. There is a restless and sickening feeling you can get when the ghost makes its presence known. A lady ghost dressed in a gown has been seen by several visitors.

Yachats ~ 101 South ~ The Heceta House was built over 110 years ago under the Heceta Lighthouse. It was originally built as a duplex to house the lighthouse workers. There is a ghost that has been nicknamed "Rue" that haunts the home. She plays with the lights, makes the temperature in the home unbearably hot, manifests as a white skirt that can be seen swooshing down the hallway and disappearing through closed doors, manifests in whole form carrying something in her hands, and she has been known to move things in the home.

Pennsylvania
Cashtown ~ 1325 Old Route 30 ~ Cashtown Inn was built in 1797. It was the site where many Confederate soldiers stayed during the Gettysburg battle. It was also the site of Confederate headquarters for a period of time. Due to this thee are many Confederate soldiers who still haunt the Inn as many died in the hotel of injuries sustained during battle. One Confederate soldier is extremely active and is very pressing to have his presence known. A picture of the Cashtown Inn was taken in 1895 and it caught the image of the ghost soldier dressed in his Confederate uniform. The picture is used in the Inn's brochure. He can be seen walking the halls and has been known to suddenly appear before a guest in their bedroom. He likes to knock on doors and walk through the hallways late at night to toy with the Inn's guests.

Merion Station ~ 625 Montgomery Avenue ~ The General Wayne Inn was built on land originally owned by William Penn. It is a structure that has been used continuously since 1704 when Robert Jones operated the building as an Inn and restaurant. It was originally called the Wayside Inn and became the General Wayne Inn in 1793. It was renamed to honor a Revolutionary War hero. The Inn has hosted some very famous patrons such as General George Washington, Marquis de la Fayette, and Edgar Allen Poe (who scratched his initials into a glass window). The ghosts of children, Hessian soldiers, and two adult females haunt the Inn.

Philadelphia ~ 244 South 3rd Street ~ Powel House is now open to the public and the second floor is where George and Martha Washington celebrated their anniversary in 1779. The home was built in 1765 by Charles Stedman. Samuel Powel bought the mansion in 1769 to keep Charles Stedman out of debtor's prison. He was one of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence and entertained MANY prominent, American Historical figures in his home as he was the mayor of Philadelphia before and after the Revolution. And so there are some very famous ghosts who reside in the Powel House. The ghost of Marquis de Lafayette, Continental army soldier, a woman in a lavender dress, and the ghost of Benedict Arnold have all been seen by visitors to the home.

Rhode Island
Narragansett ~ on Highway 1A ~ The Wedderburn Mansion was the home of Japhet Wedderburn, a rich sea captain. He wasn't home often but when he was lonely and wanted companionship. The locals were shocked when he brought home a new wife. Her name was Dona Mercedes Weddderburn. She was from Barbados, the daughter of a wealthy family, but she didn't speak English. She was a small woman, fragile looking and always dressed in black. She had a beautiful tortoise shell comb and lace mantilla she wore every day. They seemed quite happy until the captain had to return to the sea. So Dona was left with the housemaid Huldy for company. Huldy found Dona crying often and she looked very distraught as she stared out of the window. Huldy didn't understand was Dona was saying but she would cry, pacing back and forth, while pointing out of the window to the sea. Huldy did her best to try to make Dona happy. She would take Dona into town to eat and tried to teach her English but Dona secluded herself. On the captain's return home Huldy told him of his wife's miserable time. The captain took Huldy with him and two years later the captain returned without his wife. He said she wanted to spend time at home and he would bring her back next time... there never was a next time as the captain died at sea. Many believed that was what had become of Dona Mercedes Wedderburn but her fate was much more sinister. In 1925 the home was bought by a charitable organization. The hearthstone of the fireplace in the library needed to be replaced and when the construction workers pulled up the hearthstone they found a wooden coffin and inside was a skeleton wrapped in a black lace mantilla with the tortoise shell comb laying at the top of her skull. Since the unearthing of her coffin many have seen Dona pacing the floor and they can hear her wailing. They see her pointing out of the window to the ocean but if anyone gets too close to her she disappears.
South Carolina
Charlestown ~ 32 Legare Street ~ The Talvande Mansion was a boarding school for the wealthy daugthers of plantation owners in the Old South prior to the Civil War. Madame Talvande was a teacher and guide for the young girls and she prided herself on her impeccable reputation. As with all pedestals hers toppled when a student eloped with a less than worthy man right under the supervision of Madame Talvande. After that her beautiful mansion was transformed into more of a prison feel as she fought to regain the trust and admiration of the wealthy socalites. It is her brooding spirit that haunts the mansion to this day. Owners have seen Madame Talvande manifest and walk about the mansion looking as though she is checking on phantom guests. They have seen doors fly open, heard thuds, heard whispers and footfalls pacing the hallways.

Charlestown ~ 173 Meeting Street ~ The Meeting Street Inn was built in 1874 by German immigrant Adolph Tiefenthal. He operated the building as a saloon, restaurant and wholesale beer company. His family (a wife and three daughters) lived on the second and third floors. Adolph died in 1878 and his wife continued to run the saloon. In 1886 she leased the retail space on the first floor to Atlantic Brewing and Ice Company. Around 1900 a man named George Hormickel took over the lease and opened and upscale club and restaurant. He catered to the very best in Charlestown Society. He even went as far as to install extra large doors to accomodate hoop-skirted women. There are two spirits who haunt the Meeting Street Inn. The first is a man in room 303. They wanted to room to themself so badly they locked the room and when a master key was used to open the door they put over 100lbs. of resistent pressure so the owners had ram the door to get it open. There is a female entity who lives in room 107. She is a kind ghost who has appeared to many who have stayed in the room. She is a smiling, happy woman who makes the guests feel at ease.

South Dakota
Deadwood ~ 633 Main Street ~ The beautiful Bullock Hotel was built in 1895. Captain Seth Bullock, a pioneer and incredible business man built the hotel with his business partner Sol Star. He loved this hotel, and he died in 1919 in room 211. He haunts the hotel even today. Photos taken in the hotel have been known to show orbs and streaks, one photo shows a white fog over the bed in room 211. His ghost has been seen walking the halls and will stare into the eyes of those he encounters (very strange for a ghost), he calls the names of patrons in the hotel and many feel his presence, he has even guided those who are lost in the hotel!
Tennessee
Franklin ~ 1345 Carnton Lane ~ The Carnton Mansion is the most haunted house in Tennessee as it sits atop the location of a bloody Civil War battle. A graveyard of 1,700 Confederate soldiers lies adjoined to the Carnton Mansion. During the Civil War the mansion was a hospital where numerous died. A young servant was murdered in 1840 in the kitchen and only two of the Cantron children lived to makw it into adulthood.

Nashville ~ 1900 Belmont Boulevard ~ Belmont Mansion was the home of Adelicia Hayes Franklin Acklen Cheatham, a woman who befell numerous tragedies. She lost six of her ten children to scarlet fever and other childhood illnesses... her fiance, first and second husband all died. Adelicia watches her mansion closely and continuously haunts within its walls. She has manifested before many guests, rearranged the furniture within and makes herself known through noises and footfalls.

Nashville ~ 4580 Rachel's Lane ~ The Hermitage was built by Andrew Jackson and was a gentleman's farm for many years. Andrew and Rachel never had any children of their own but they adopted a nephew they named Andrew Hackson, Jr. and a little orphaned Indian boy. Other children stayed for a time with the Jacksons but it was Jackson Jr. who inherited the family estate. President Jackson, Rachel and slaves who worked the plantation still haunt today. Many have seen the physical manifestation of President Jackson appear before them. He walks the halls and sometimes talks to unseen presences. Rachel has been seen throughout the home and doesn't initiate contact with the living like her husband. There have also been reports of slave ghosts as the sound of their hymns being sung can be heard, chains rattling outside the home and ghostly manifestations of the slaves appear.

Texas
Galveston ~ 2061 Strand ~ Ashton Villa Mansion was built in 1865 and was used as a hospitable for Confederate soldiers. As the war progressed it changed hands between the Confederacy and the Union each using it as headquarters. After the war Bettie Ashton Brown, the daughter of the owner James Brown, grew into a live of privelege. She has an incredible life and loved the home with all of her heart. She was captured by the romance and historical background of her childhood home. She lives there to this day and has appeared to many who have visited its walls. Her presence can be felt the most in the Gold Room and she is a smiling, enchanting ghost who everyone looks forward to making the acquaintace of.
Utah
None listed - please tell us if you know of any haunted homes or areas in Utah!
Vermont
Cuttingsville ~ Highway 103 ~ Bowman Mansion was home to tragedy. John P. Bowman built the home for his beautiful family who departed this earth too early when they befall a tragic accident in 1880. John was inconsolable and hired 125 sculptors to erect a mausoleum on the property in memory of his beloved wife and children. It took one year to complete. Mrs. Bowman haunts the mansion and there is a dark stain at the top of the staircase that cannot be cleaned. When guests stand on or near the stain they feel uneasy and sick. It isn't known whether or not the stain is connected with Mrs. Bowman's death or perhaps the death of the children. She has appeared numerous times to the guests and owners of the home and though she doesn't make any ill-desired actions she doesn't make them feel at ease either.

Waterbury ~ 18 N. Main Street ~ The Old Stagecoach Inn was built in 1826 by a wealthy millionaire who used the building as a home, tavern and stagecoach stop until it became solely a private residence in 1920. It was the home of Margaret Spencer. She died in 1947 in room 2 at 98 years old. She loved this home so much she continues to live in it to this day. She is willing to share her beautiful home with the living and makes only pleasant manifestations to the owners and guests.

Virginia
Alexandria ~ 607 Oronoco Street ~ This was General Robert E. Lee's boyhood home. It is no longer opened to the public but it had a period of time when it was a museum and the owners and guests of the museum all experienced the manifestations of a little boy ghost who lives in the mansion. You can hear his giggles, his soft footfall running through the mansion, and see his physical manifestation throughout the mansion. It has also been reported the ghost of Robert E. Lee is seen downstairs walking through the home as though it is just another day at home. See the Site

Portsmouth ~ 218 Glasgow Street ~ Gaffos House was a hospital during the yellow fever epidemic of 1855. It was the final home for many men, women and children who were taken by the horrible disease. It is haunted by the restless victims of yellow fever and they can be seen walking through the home, opening and closing doors, opening and closing windows, their footsteps can be heard through the hallways and rooms and sometimes you can hear voices but no one is there.

Portsmouth ~ 222 North Street ~ Glen Coe Bed & Breakfast was built in 1890. The original owners named their home Glen Coe in rememberance of their homeland Scotland. The home is haunted by an elderly lady who can be seen in the rose garden most often. She sits silently and watches something that cannot be seen by human eye. See the Site

Virginia Beach ~ 1636 Parish Road ~ Adam Thoroughgood House was built in 1680. It was home to the Thoroughgood family well into the 1950s. It is haunted by two of the Thoroughgood family members, a man and woman. It isn't known that they know the other exists and they seem to be from two different time periods. They can be seen walking through the home and the property surounding the home.

Washington
Spokane ~ 2208 West 2nd Avenue ~ Patsy Clark Mansion was built in 1897 by millionaire Patrick "Patsy" Clark. The Spokane fire of 1889 destroyed Clark's home and he rebuilt it even more elaborate than before. The rebuild cost him 13 million dollars in 1889! Patsy and his wife Mary loved their new home and lived there until their deaths. Patrick died in 1915 and Mary passed on in 1926. The home is haunted by this loving pair making physical manifestations, extreme temperature changes and moving onjects inside their home.
West Virginia
None listed - please tell us if you know of any haunted homes or areas in West Virginia!
Wisconsin
Waupaca ~ Lake Street ~ Cristy Mansion was built in 1893. In 1907 the Cristy family moved into the home. Joseph T. Cristy and his family lived in the mansion until 1967. From 1967 to 1981 the home sat vacant but both the mansion and its property were taken care of. The home is haunted by a few members of the Cristy family and the Cristy's beloved horses. The new owners have heard a horses whinny and horses hooves cutting through the lawn of the property on many occasions. Laughter can be heard throughout the home and a troublesome spirit has caused the lenses in glasses to shatter, footfalls can be heard throughout the home as though someone is pacing back and forth, and the doors fly open for no reason.
District of Columbia
Washington DC ~ 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue ~ The White House is home to all of America's Presidents and some have not ended their term of office even after death. The most restless spirit in the White House is President Lincoln... perhaps he feels there is unfinished business. He has been seen in the oval office and in the bed. The late Queen Wilhelmia while sleeping in the Queen's room heard a knocking on her door late at night. She opened to the door to come eye to eye with the ghost of Lincoln and she fainted.


Copyright © 1998-present. Creepy Hollows all rights reserved