Catnip-Medicinal Uses

Share you information, tips, & tricks for working with alternate methods for health, cleansing, and balance.
Cheese Sandwitch
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Your favorite spirit to work with: demons
Zodiac:

Catnip is such a cool herb. When given to our feline friends, it puts them in a state of euphoria ( mine actually dribbles with pleasure! )
But what I really love about it is how healing it is on humans. It stimulates cats, but will relax a human. It can treat insomnia (I've used it in a sleep tea recipe I've come up with) it soothes tummy aches in children and even colicky babies. It's also excellent for colds, flus and fevers!

In a compress for pain relief of piles. (steep 2 tbsp in about 3 cups of hot water for about 15-20 minutes, strain, let the water cool. Add 1-2 drops of lavender oil. Get clean cotton wool pads, immerse in the mixture and apply to the affected area. The only downside, you have to leave it for a couple of hours. Good idea for before going to bed) can be stored in a fridge for 48 hours.

I'm going to do this the lazy way (only because it's Mothers day here and I'm off and on today )and quote the uses from a website I frequent its called "earthnotes" I'm not advertising a website, but quoting my sources.
MEDICINAL:
Bitter, appetite stimulant (taken before a meal), astringent, antispasmodic, anodyne, antibiotic, diaphoretic, febrifuge, carminative, emmenogogue, nervine, sedative, digestive aid (taken after a meal); affects nervous and digestive systems, lungs and liver.
Has been used in infusion form for anemia, to improve circulation, colds, flu, catarrh, bronchitis, feverish illnesses, indigestion, flatulence, insomnia, measles, neuraligia, nightmare, scurvy, tuberculosis, chicken pox, hives, headaches (also a compress of the infusion on the forehead), hyperactivity, palpitations, colic, nervous dyspepsia, nervousness, drug and nicotine withdrawal, fatigue, hemorrhoids, hiccups, infertility, insanity, pain, restlessness, shock, skin problems, external sores, stress, vomiting, roseola, amenorrhea (also for difficult periods; for delayed or spotty periods, 1 tbsp of the juice of the leaf jas been taken 2 or 3 times daily), diarrhea (due to the presence of tannins), worms and head congestion before a flu.
Two cups of infusion has been added to a shallow bath as an alternative to internal use.

I make this tea for my kids when they are not feeling well and can't sleep:

1tsp catnip herb per one cup of hot water.

Steep for ten minutes - catnip is not a strong flavor but sometimes I find it easier to get kids to accept herbs if it is sweet, so I add a little honey-which also fights colds. In the next day or so ill be listing other ways/recipes to use catnip as a medicine :)

Cloud nine gets all the publicity, but cloud eight actually is cheaper, less crowded, and has a better view.- George Carlin
In heaven all the interesting people are missing - Friederich Nietzche
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree.- Albert Einstein
Share small joys. Even if you cannot live like a wild animal, give up your fear of being happy- 3 of Chalices Ludy Lescot Tarot
"Cheese- milk's leap to immortality"-Clifton Fadiman
Aurum
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals
Zodiac:

This is not exactly a medicinal use, but Catnip tea can be used as a hair treatment/conditioner. It can also used to stain hair temporarily, but this only works on grey, white or blonde hair. It gives light yellow stain.

Cheese Sandwitch
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: in the learning process
Your favorite spirit to work with: demons
Zodiac:

How useful! I've heard of it being used for conditioner but I've never tried it. I'm going to have to now! :clap: I've learned something new about the stain though. I can see me begging the only friend I have with blonde hair to let me dye her hair with catnip. Ohhh the look on her face will be priceless haha
Thanks!

Cloud nine gets all the publicity, but cloud eight actually is cheaper, less crowded, and has a better view.- George Carlin
In heaven all the interesting people are missing - Friederich Nietzche
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree.- Albert Einstein
Share small joys. Even if you cannot live like a wild animal, give up your fear of being happy- 3 of Chalices Ludy Lescot Tarot
"Cheese- milk's leap to immortality"-Clifton Fadiman

Return to “Alternate Healing/Aromatherapy”