neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampires
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

*Disclaimer: I am not doing this out of personal reasons, nor am I tied in any way to the family. I merely wanted to put a post here that so rightly deserves more recognition than it's been given, and that I did not see a post involving her.

Cells, that have been donated in the name of science, have been used by countless researchers and scientists to discover vaccines, gene mapping, cloning, and much, much more.

But who was the first to "donate" these cells?

Her name is Henrietta Lacks, more commonly known by her cell line as "HeLa". And the real knee-kicker here, folks, was that she didn't even give her full, legal consent to have these cells used. An injustice, that even till today, her family is still coping with and some of them, I believe, are still attempting to sue corporations for the money they made off of their family member's cells.

Her cells were the first to actually multiply and grow successfully, a feat that, at the time, wasn't easy, in George Gey's lab. These cells seemed to multiply at an alarming rate, and no one, at the time, was sure how or why. There are many speculations. Her Spirit desired to help people as she'd done when she was living. The cells taken from her were cancerous, and that explains their growth.

I'm honestly not sure why her cells were able to do so, especially when cell cultures died so easily because of lack of sterilization and proper techniques during that time.

But none the less, as a person who believes in the paranormal, I have to go with her Spirit's desire to help others.

Henrietta has been on the moon, exposed to multiple chemicals and vaccines, and even injected with forms of HIV and AIDS. Technically speaking of course .... You know, her wonderful cells and all.

Because of her, many of the things today that we take for granted, like vaccines, are here for us because of her contributions. I'm not quite sure if she enjoyed her cells being taken without permission, but none the less, she's made major contributions to today's society, and I assume that maybe she might actually be happy and proud of her impact..

So thank you, Henrietta Lacks.

If you want to know more about her story, I advise you to trudge on, and learn about it. Hell, even get a binding of her, so YOU can hear her intriguing story through her.

Sovereign
active contributor
active contributor

Thank you. I do not recall ever reading anything about this or Henrietta. It is something to think about and I thank you again.

NeoStarFire
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 67
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Neo Starfire Angelis
Zodiac:

I agree. Thank you. Often in this world we take for granted what the people that came before us sacrificed, willingly or not.

Prinsiippi
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 40
Spelled Number: 63
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

::included::

Thank you, I had never heard of her either but I want to know.

LilyViolet
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: angels
If I could be anything, I would be...: angel

Very interesting, thank you for posting this 8)|*

EGOTIST
neophyte
neophyte
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampires
Zodiac:

No problem, besides, I've been reading about Henrietta in my biology class, and I had that nagging feeling of her wanting more people to know more about her. :D

Look around the internet, and maybe get a Binding of her Spirit. I'm sure she has MANY things to show us, as she's been all over the world, in the form of her cells.

desertofblackdark
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 3
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons :3
If I could be anything, I would be...: 58
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: desertofblackdark
Zodiac: