new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: vampire
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Vedis
Zodiac:

Okay...so here we go. I was reading about the history of gargoyles and came to notice inconsistencies in texts. In some texts, gargoyles are called fallen angels other texts they are demons. Perhaps they are neither. However, one description I read described the gargoyle in a more organic manner whereby they were used as some sort of sentinel outside of buildings and over time they began to be associated with specific spirits or entities that were previous known as demons or evil spirits (no further info given). They merely got renamed in the passage of time.
Stupid question time:
What is a gargoyle- really? Are they truly demonics relabeled by later people's or have they always had s unique separate identity rather than merely being spirits or entities relabeled as something else over time? I have seen them sold as demons, indicating they are/were some sort of low born demon? This gets at how there is so much variance with conjurerers that descriptors of what they bind get confusing.
Thanks for any input.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

There is no such thing as a stupid question. Stats have shown that if one student in a class is unclear on a particular point, up to 3/4 of the students in the class might also be unclear on the same thing. So never feel bad about asking a question.

I'm inclined to believe that gargoyles are sentinels and protective spirits, even if they have a fearsome aspect about them, as I have a kindly gargoyle among my spirits. But I'll let the people with better knowledge of the history between gargoyles and humans be the ones who answer other parts of your question.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Gargoyles have been sometimes demonized and called demons because of their appearance but they aren't demons really. It's just one of those things where anything that's remotely terrifying is called a demon. I'm sure i remember a post from ash or magnolia (i can't find it) but i think it said something about gargoyles working with sages, or was that mages, over a thousand years ago and possibly mirrors aswell. But i can't remember whether i'm getting my post memories mixed up. lol

Formerly known as WhimsicalSage/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

I have a few Gargoyles and they are POWERFUL protectors, and can work protectings in groups, larger than the usual portrayed "4-corners" or "all corners" routines. I personally like gargoyles.

Caiyros Arlen

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
Vedis
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: vampire
My magical/paranormal name...: Vedis
Zodiac:

So, this sounds like a more accurate view of gargoyles is that of sentinel type guardians. These types of entities (?) are common throughout a number of human cultures. I notice they seem to get lumped into basic categories. So, if you are conjuring or observing a gargoyle, beyond using a species-specific portal (?) as means of communication, how do you characterize or identify them?
Do you find gargoyles originating from different cultures or time periods share specific qualities or do you evaluate them on a case by case basis? I guess I'm getting at the idea that the term gargoyle is perhaps very broad? And from an architectural motif, perhaps not that old? So, do you also know them by another name? :)

Aeryn K Angel
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 50
Spelled Number: 50
Your favorite spirit to work with: Elves
If I could be anything, I would be...: Elf,Faery
My magical/paranormal name...: Aeryn
Zodiac:

Gargoyles are amazing.
I have a considerable number around me, ranging from very small to gargantuan. They are all very powerful protectors, as well as "cuddly" in that they won't hesitate to take me under their wings and console me if they think I feel bad or have been hurt in some way.
I have some from different areas of the world. They do tend to share some of the cultural "eccentricities" of the country in which they originated. For instance, my 2 largest guys are from England, and they do enjoy their cup of tea (with peanut butter, of course). I have a female from Japan that enjoys kabuki, and told me that she once protected a geisha.

I am ME.... and that is that!

Below is a picture of my pride & joy... Miss Kasha.
brimstone
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

Aeryn wrote:Gargoyles are amazing.
I have a considerable number around me, ranging from very small to gargantuan. They are all very powerful protectors, as well as "cuddly" in that they won't hesitate to take me under their wings and console me if they think I feel bad or have been hurt in some way.
I have some from different areas of the world. They do tend to share some of the cultural "eccentricities" of the country in which they originated. For instance, my 2 largest guys are from England, and they do enjoy their cup of tea (with peanut butter, of course). I have a female from Japan that enjoys kabuki, and told me that she once protected a geisha.
I totally agree with this, Aeryn. My English Boys are very refined- even their vessels reflect this. I have one who won't talk, but I did manage to get "Istanbul" out of him. He reminds me a little of Genghis Khan (yes, I know that would make him Mongolian, but that's the image I get).

When my first 4 Gargoyles arrived, I asked them if they were demons. Their jaws collectively dropped. "We are NOT demons, we are protectors!"- so that's the word from my inside sources.

And by the way, having a female Japanese Gargoyle who enjoys kabuki and who once protected a Geisha is about the coolest thing I have ever heard!

Return to “Gargoyle”