Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

I found this to be super fascinating. FWIW.

http://lairbhan.blogspot.com/2017/04/th ... names.html

Kaliopia
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 68
Spelled Number: 280
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Kaliopia Amethyst Rayne
Zodiac:

Wow, very interesting read! I loath my birth name lol I actually cringe when I hear someone call me by name I dislike it so much lol. There's another name that I felt should've been my birth name since I was little, which it turns out really was the name I was supposed to be born with. Oh well...

Though, this kinda makes me feel the need to change my forum name...

Zero
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Loki, Immortal
Zodiac:

Great article!

I will tell you such foul truths and such beautiful lies, you will want to sew my lips shut.

Can a heart still break once it's stopped beating?
darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

Oo : 0
It reminds me of imina (諱), Japanese personal name. Some consider it personal name, real name, and even taboo name since the ones who should be able to call someone's imina are the parents and the masters/teachers.

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

darkwing wrote:Oo : 0
It reminds me of imina (諱), Japanese personal name. Some consider it personal name, real name, and even taboo name since the ones who should be able to call someone's imina are the parents and the masters/teachers.
Ooo! That's interesting. *scuttles down Internet research hole*

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

This factors into why it's recommended that we not use our spirits' real names on the internet. Better safe than sorry.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Abundance
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Very interesting article & some of the others on the site are also. Like you AmethystRayne, I've never cared for my birth name.

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Likes2Read wrote:This factors into why it's recommended that we not use our spirits' real names on the internet. Better safe than sorry.
That's exactly what it put me in mind of, L2R!

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Here's another one on names, with the addition of discussing the power of words more generally: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/agora/201 ... mpowering/
The Law of Names suggests that knowing the complete name of an entity or phenomenon grants you power over it, but it is also based on the premise that knowing the full name comes from fully understanding the entity or phenomenon. How often do we choose to refer to things by powerful words without complete and full comprehension? Names can also be very symbolic, therefore the names, or words, which we apply to others can confer certain emotions or images. These words are called “associational devices” because we associate certain thoughts and feelings with them. Imagine for a moment that we changed these associational devices. Do you think we could change the positive or negative reaction to certain images?

The Law of Words of Power suggests that certain words can influence an inner and/or outer reality of the person using the word. Everything about the way a word of power is implemented can increase or decrease the effects. This includes inflections, accents, stressed syllables, tone and rhythm....

The Law of Balance tells us we must strive to keep all aspects of our world in balance to avoid conflict and dissolution. When we balance our choices with knowledge and careful decision-making, we give ourselves and our communities the best possible chance at achieving goals and reaching our fullest potential. There are some things, some kinds of choices, which we must decide if they are worth holding on to, or consider the benefits of letting them go. Magic laws don’t have to remain confined to ritual space, and knowledge of them and their cause and effect can be used to improve everyday life and interpersonal relationships.

“Let it go, let it go”

This is more than just the words to a Disney animated film. This is about the power of letting go of judgments and false perceptions that create bias, stereotypes, prejudice and exclusion. This process of letting go isn’t as easy as just saying the words. In “Frozen”, Elsa learns that she can gain full control of her powers by letting go of her past and all the restrictions she was expected to live by. This is a good lesson for anyone living in the shadow of their past, that by letting go they gain more power over how they live in the present. When our choices are no longer dictated by the expectations or past actions of others, we begin to realize how much potential we have. Choices is a word of special power. The phrase “let it go” becomes a phrase of empowerment.

Why can’t others learn this seemingly simple bit of magic? Oftentimes, a community that embraces restrictions on choices is what author Peter Block refers to as a “stuck community.” A stuck community will often broadcast many reasons to fear what they define as people or situations outside the mainstream. They choose words and names of bias to describe individuals whom they don’t understand. This is what I refer to as “words of disempowering.”

...If we think of our culture in retributive terms, we may begin to understand why we have such a need for strong leaders that act quick and fast with a sense of authority. Rules and order breeds a certain amount of dependency in a community by reducing accountability on a personal level. If we are told how to think, act or restrict ourselves, we always know what is right and what is wrong. We never have to question anything, nor do we consider possibilities. Our vision is narrowed by the choices we make or by allowing others to make choices for us. The focus is no longer on the individual but the retributive agenda that becomes a never-ending cycle. Being in the “right” outweighs the potential value of being compassionate. This shouldn’t be conflated with the comparison of optimism to idealism. Idealistic is not always realistic. Optimism and possibility is about setting goals you can believe in and working for them.

Making the Descent

...This myth has been used many times over and again as symbolic of initiation and the quest for renewal and knowledge. Inanna had to learn to let go of those things that defined her in order to regain her power and the knowledge necessary for her to be a powerful goddess. As a symbol of the vegetative process, the crops rise from the ground, bear fruit, and return to the rotting nothingness in the soil, only to arise again. Imagine a community that willingly descends. False perceptions are removed. Idealism is removed. The “words” are silenced and identity is suspended. Then, like Inanna, the community returns through the gates, transforming the way it identifies itself, using new words and language to shape its vision, and seeing everyone with new clarity and possibility....

When we change our words, we change our power. We also affect others’ power. When we change the “names” by which we know others, we can effectively influence them, by perceiving them in a different light. This puts the idea of the Law of Names to work for us. Letting go of outmoded associational devices changes the way we empower or disempower our community.

InfernalNachos
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 3
Spelled Number: 4
Your favorite spirit to work with: Djinn
If I could be anything, I would be...: Something Fuzzy...
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Personal

Bump

A shame the 1st link is 404. Did read a couple of the author's blog entries though. I like the way they write.

The second link was a solid read. I saw it dealing more with social interaction and such, rather than the meta, but I suppose it does have its applications somewhere in the "reaping what you sow/energy you send out into the universe" aspect. At the very least it gave me food for thought and reflection.

Do nothing that is of no use.
-Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of the Five Rings-

Why waste magick on something you could easily achieve through time, effort and dedication?

Beware the noobsauce (take with salt)

Return to “Educational Material”