new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Sustenance through Magic?

Postby Supernaut » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:19 pm

This may be a stretch, but is it possible to gain bodily sustenance through magical means? I feel like the path of spiritual enlightenment would be a lot easier to follow if I didn't have to A) rely on a scarce resource to keep my body alive and B) stop to eat a meal three times a day.

"For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside-down, therefore no wonder he hath enemies." - Gerrard Winstanley

Alys
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 27
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Poppy

Re: Sustenance through Magic?

Postby Alys » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:59 pm

I'm going to say the short answer is no.

As to the magickal principles involve, briefly, I'd say that magick that produces results in the physical world tends to draw from natural principles. There is nothing about abstaining from sustenance that would lead a physical body to flourish. I think the best you could hope for is just to starve more slowly since magick tends to just tip the odds in your favor rather than upending natural principles entirely.

To draw on history, ancient ascetic practices regarding abstaining from sustenance are not done with the wellbeing of the physical body as the goal. They are done using denial of physical needs to sharpen spiritual practice. Inherent in that idea is that you are denying the body something it needs, not subverting the need or replacing the sustenance with something else that will suffice. A very extreme version of this is sallekhana--ritual starvation by Jain ascetics as the final and ultimate rite.

For those reasons, I would lean towards no.

Aprophis
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: Endless

Postby Aprophis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 pm

If you become a yogi like Prahlad Jani it is apparently possible to live off energy.
I mean food is energy too, basically transformed solar energy and earthen energy too, a marriage of heaven and earth so to say.

Two Roads diverged in a yellow Wood and I took both, for I am Quantum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aksho Kharneth Akhash
Aksho Slaaneth K'Khaa
Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
Aksho Nurgleth Dh'Akh

Alys
active contributor
active contributor

Postby Alys » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:09 pm

Prahlad Jani's two testing sessions are problematic. For that reason, I would say it would be at best a bad idea to attempt inedia without years of training under a dedicated teacher. I'm not saying it's not possible. But it is exceedingly dangerous, and many people who have attempted to follow his example have died.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

Postby Likes2Read » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:20 pm

Can we bump up our energy levels via magick? Yes.

Does it replace the need for a balanced diet and proper hydration? No. That's a health risk I don't recommend taking.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files. Visit my MP link (on the profile under my userID) for the spelled items that Etsy deemed too hot to handle! :) I look forward to seeing you there!

darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Your favorite spirit to work with: omnomnom
If I could be anything, I would be...: blingbling
My magical/paranormal name...: Blade Birch

Postby darkwing dook » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:55 am

Supernaut wrote: I feel like the path of spiritual enlightenment would be a lot easier to follow if I didn't have to A) rely on a scarce resource to keep my body alive and B) stop to eat a meal three times a day.

Mm,
A. Not sure, but I'd think it's still going to be hard.
B. Some people don't eat 3 times a day. Some only twice, others once. Some because of tradition, habit or even just not having money to buy food : /

"Knowing a trifle about everything gives life more color."
Zhuge Liang

"I enjoy za simple pleasures of darkwing dook."
: P

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

Postby Likes2Read » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:30 am

The amount of time and effort required to reach this state of spiritual advancement where eating isn't required, IF such a thing even exists, is far greater than the effort required to earn funds, go food shopping, and eat. So it'd be harder, not easier, to achieve this state of being.

Besides... the OP mentions that spiritual pursuits would be "easier" without need for sustenance. But really, no real accomplishments are easy. Legit advancement requires time, effort, and dedication. So it's OK if you're having to put in hard work to reach spiritual goals. That's a part of the package, no matter what those goals are. :)

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files. Visit my MP link (on the profile under my userID) for the spelled items that Etsy deemed too hot to handle! :) I look forward to seeing you there!

Aprophis
venerated member
venerated member

Postby Aprophis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Alys wrote:For that reason, I would say it would be at best a bad idea to attempt inedia without years of training under a dedicated teacher. I'm not saying it's not possible. But it is exceedingly dangerous, and many people who have attempted to follow his example have died.

Well, I didn't say you should just go ahead and do it. Becoming a yogi is lots of work actually, not just some lessons on doing yoga and getting a diploma like in the western world. It takes a lot more dedication than we think it does. A real yogi lives celibate and ascetic all his life.
There are even certain yoga positions that basically turn you impotent to support that.

Besides, afaik Prahlad Jahni has a hole in his palate through which 'amrita' is supposed to drop down, which grants sustenance. It is supposedly powerful enough so that some buddhas were basically pot bellied even if they lived ascetic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aksho Kharneth Akhash
Aksho Slaaneth K'Khaa
Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
Aksho Nurgleth Dh'Akh

Alys
active contributor
active contributor

Postby Alys » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Aprophis wrote:Well, I didn't say you should just go ahead and do it.

I'm sorry. It's less that I thought you said someone should do it and more that I'm afraid someone would try it who shouldn't. 1ak

Aprophis
venerated member
venerated member

Postby Aprophis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:00 pm

Alys wrote:I'm sorry. It's less that I thought you said someone should do it and more that I'm afraid someone would try it who shouldn't. 1ak

Darwin says, they'll do that anyway, no matter what people say :P

Aksho Kharneth Akhash
Aksho Slaaneth K'Khaa
Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
Aksho Nurgleth Dh'Akh

Return to “Spells/Spellwork”