new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: Elementals
If I could be anything, I would be...: a cat
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

So... here is the only place I've heard about gargoyles. I've never heard about them as magical creatures in our plane, ever. In movies only, but only a few weak references. That sounds crazy as lots of people talk about them here.

Maybe it's a geographical question? I live in Brazil. Maybe there are no gargoyles here.
I wish to learn more about them. They seem ancient, maybe we are too new to have them around.

Any thoughts?

::new::

Sacerdothyza

Happy to help, glad to learn.
[EN, IT, PT-BR]
draco_star898
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

From crystalinks, it's an abbreviated version:

In architecture, a gargoyle is a carved stone grotesque with a spout designed to convey water from a roof and away from the side of a building.

The term originates from the French gargouille, originally "throat" or "gullet"; cf. Latin gurgulio, gula, gargula ("gullet" or "throat") and similar words derived from the root gar, "to swallow", which represented the gurgling sound of water. A building that has gargoyles on it is "gargoyled."

Gargoyles are said to scare off and protect from any evil or harmful spirits.

A grotesque figure is a sculpture that does not work as a waterspout and serves only an ornamental or artistic function. These are also usually called gargoyles in layman's terminology.

From thewhitegoddess.com

Gargoyles - Protectors from Evil.

There are many theories has to how and why medieval architects and stone carvers developed gargoyles. It is believed that they were used to ward of evil and to act as guardians of the church to keep the terrible spirits of evil away and were inspired from a passage written in the bible. Adrienne Mayor believes they were inspired by the skeletal remains and bones of dinosaurs, found by Greek and Roman palaeontologists. Many gargoyles are similar to the legends and figures of the ancients Celts, such as the Green Man or Jack of the Green ... the god of tree worship. The Pagan artists who carved these were inspired by their culture and were the last vestiges of paganism from an age when god would be heard in trees and river plains. Or are they representations of deep rooted elements within human nature and expressions of man's subconscious fears or attempts to define or embody evils of the world into manageable elements.

It seems like they've been around been around as guardians for at least several hundred years. I know they are protectors of buildings, and they take the defense of their companions homes very seriously. They are wonderful friends to have!

Sacerdothyza
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: Elementals
If I could be anything, I would be...: a cat
Zodiac:

They might be related to geographic issues then.
Here in south america we don't have gargoyles as part of the architecture as in Europe, in fact we don't have it at all. My country itself it's only ~500 yrs old.
The native paganism of Brazil is very primitive and not very widespread within the people, anyway, there is no similar entity.

I believe I'll have to go to Europe to meet these ones :)

Thank you.

Sacerdothyza

Happy to help, glad to learn.
[EN, IT, PT-BR]

Return to “Gargoyle”