venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

I don't really like the notion of karma. Never been a fan. I understand karmic debt as a consequence for a rushed decision. But clearly consequence is the closest i'll come to understanding karma.

Formerly known as WhimsicalSage/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
Ryla
active contributor
active contributor
Spelled Number: 58

Adelphia wrote:I think the idea of karma being westernized is not religious and actually helpful because it allows a belief system for those who don't identify with traditional religions that helps understand the spiritual/hidden/invisible aspect of actions having consequences. However, the idea of karma can be misused in New Age...

One way the idea of karma becomes abused when a divine element comes into play, karma is cause and effect, which operates on its own. It's also abused when people say 'oh it's karma' to explain a negative occurrence or worse:
... karma’s bandied around these days to imply that there’s a divine plan. It doesn’t just represent the natural order; it goes on to suggest that this order is for our benefit. It’s straight out of the Bible. Hence: the universe is looking out for me; what goes around comes around; everything happens for a reason.

Well, everything does happen for some reason or another, but why should it revolve around me? That’s wishful thinking. A Facebook friend of mine recently received an unexpected $19 cheque in the mail shortly after losing $11 in cash. He called it karma, as if the two events were directly connected. However, we already have a word for remote coincidences like that: Luck....

It’s not easy. Countless causes and conditions collide to produce a constant stream of effects, and those effects in turn become new streams of causes and conditions. We never get the whole picture any more than we notice each frame of a movie, though we can see patterns with more or less clarity, depending on how much mental space we create for ourselves.

Trouble is, we don’t always want to see clearly. What we really want is reassuring explanations, even if they’re illusory.
http://www.thenakedmonk.com/2013/10/12/ ... ing-karma/
Well said about Karma being westernised, Adelphia. I also agree with the section you quoted.

Ryla
active contributor
active contributor
Spelled Number: 58

Bumping... anyone else want to come and share your thoughts?

Return to “General Questions”