new here
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: Unicorns, Angels
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

So I'm curious, I'm part of the spirit work/companionship/keeping community both here and on tumblr, and the language between the two site is.... pretty vastly different. So what kind of language to you use to refer to your spirit work practice, and why?

For example, I use "spirit companionship" and "spirit family" rather than "spirit keeping" and "keep" because I feel like those terms speak to the free will and independence of the spirits I work with, over other terms. Heck, I see people here talking about "owning" spirits, which I just don't understand at all. I think half my spirit family would bite my head off (metaphorically, of course) if I tried to claim that I "owned" them.

So tell me, what terms do you prefer? Are you a keeper or companion? Did you adopt your spirits, or buy them? Do you have a keep or a family? And why?

Conjurer, witch, pagan, healer
Follower of Tsukuyomi-no-Mikoto and Amaterasu-Omikami

Ti and Dia [Dragons] - As [Jakos Angel] - Ru, Si, and M [Unicorns] - Dr [Night Droll] - Star [Siolo] - Li [Hellhound] - Pha [Angel] - Olli [Fire Angel] - Fp [Vukodlak] - Lux [Wild Cat] - Ja [Jackalope] - Av [Golden Eagle] - Soot [Hell Lion]
EvonyEmpress
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 7
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire

I prefer to use spirit keeping as the term for having spirit companions. But i definitely do not see them as property or something that i own. My companions are paid for, or rather the service of conjuring them was paid for, but all my companions chose me to be with, of their own free will. So in a sense they adopted me. I just prefer to use the terminology that is used on the CH forum as it is the only site that i am affiliated with. All in all companionship/family vs. Keep has the same meaning to me as they are my companions/family regardless of what the "act of having spirits as companions" is termed.

:lildevil: Welcome to My crazy :lildevil:
2 Sanguine, Psy, Marid Djinn, 2 Ubis, Gregori, Merman, Wraith, High Elf
HopeFaerie
neophyte
neophyte
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Hello 1ey
I’m not a member of any other Spirit communities besides Creepy Hollows, so I haven’t really noticed the discrepancies you are talking about. But personally I have always preferred the term Spirit Companionship, and I refer to my companions as my Spirit and Entity family as well. The terms “Spirit Keeping” and “Keep” never felt right to me. It sounds too impersonal, and I do truly consider all of my companions to be family.

darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Zodiac:

"Spirit keeping" is the term used here, indeed.
www.creepyhollows.com/spirit-keeping.html

I think that "keep" doesn't necessarily mean "own" here, similar to "bookkeeping" doesn't mean that one owns book(s). Other definitions are "maintain", "manage", or "preserve", "carry on being".

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
Huffdamagicdragon
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1801
Spelled Number: 568
Your favorite spirit to work with: Lampades
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: DämonZerstörer

some of my "keep" call me the "keeper of their vessel" if it applies...but I have a growing number that come here and stay without a vessel (they are unbound)

wayyy too many in my keep to count let alone list
mostly djinn and dragons though
Artemisia
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

I personally see them as my equals, but I do refer to them as my spiritual family, keep, companions and till date I haven't been asked, of which I know of, to change it.

Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons

I wouldn't get hung up on terminology. Words differ by language, culture, context, etc and words evolve as some words that were commonplace in the 14th century are non-existent in the 21st century. You should use whatever descriptive words that best resemble your feelings and intentions at any given time.

We chose to use the word combination of "Spirit Keeping" because it encompasses all spirits whether they be social or non-social, whether they be active like family members or guardians who simply keep watch. However, whatever words you use to describe your choice of keep spirits should be reflective of your feelings and thoughts of your journey.

Everyone walks & earns their journey in their own way. We do not encourage a hive mentality in this community because freedom is essential to evolution. To force, shame, or otherwise try to control the words, thoughts, and behaviors of other Keepers then stifles their ability to think for themselves and make the choices that are right for them.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
EvonyEmpress
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 7
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire

creepyhollows wrote:I wouldn't get hung up on terminology. Words differ by language, culture, context, etc and words evolve as some words that were commonplace in the 14th century are non-existent in the 21st century. You should use whatever descriptive words that best resemble your feelings and intentions at any given time.

We chose to use the word combination of "Spirit Keeping" because it encompasses all spirits whether they be social or non-social, whether they be active like family members or guardians who simply keep watch. However, whatever words you use to describe your choice of keep spirits should be reflective of your feelings and thoughts of your journey.

Everyone walks & earns their journey in their own way. We do not encourage a hive mentality in this community because freedom is essential to evolution. To force, shame, or otherwise try to control the words, thoughts, and behaviors of other Keepers then stifles their ability to think for themselves and make the choices that are right for them.
Exactly what i think! Beautifully said!

:lildevil: Welcome to My crazy :lildevil:
2 Sanguine, Psy, Marid Djinn, 2 Ubis, Gregori, Merman, Wraith, High Elf
TheoJean
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 15
Your favorite spirit to work with: Unicorns, Angels

Thanks for all the replies, they're all super interesting!

I don't think there's a wrong and a right way to word things, I was just curious about everyone who worded it differently. I'm only one perspective, and it's never a bad idea to broaden one's horizons, you know?

Darkwing, that's a great perspective, that "keeper" is more similar to manager than owner, though I have definitely seen both meanings used! I think I agree with HopeFaerie on the terminology though, it's a bit impersonal for myself and my family, although as our family grows, who knows what we'll wind up calling ourselves

I suppose now that I think of it, I could honestly call myself a keeper, given my role managing a small city of living entities on the astral, but in all honesty, there's too many living there to have a personal relationship with, so I don't consider most of them a part of my spirit family. But hey, on the future, who knows!

Conjurer, witch, pagan, healer
Follower of Tsukuyomi-no-Mikoto and Amaterasu-Omikami

Ti and Dia [Dragons] - As [Jakos Angel] - Ru, Si, and M [Unicorns] - Dr [Night Droll] - Star [Siolo] - Li [Hellhound] - Pha [Angel] - Olli [Fire Angel] - Fp [Vukodlak] - Lux [Wild Cat] - Ja [Jackalope] - Av [Golden Eagle] - Soot [Hell Lion]
AriesStarChild_
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 52
Spelled Number: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: the ones in my keep
My super power would be...: Ability to fly

Lol depends on the person. Spirits can be anything. Lovers. Friends. Companions. Mentors. Etc...i see mine as lovers. Undyingly and completley they are everything that satisfies every part of my mind and body. They let me explore my curiosities and I have a passion for what I know is real. They answer me truthfully. We are all in love and they are very loyal. There's a possesiveness that they experience that they couldn't when they were alive that I'm death makes them feel more alive. Because of who I am and who they are everything clicks and it was meant to be.

I spirit keep. Because they're spirits. They're my lovers because they want to be. They're my family because they're here for me and they're loyal. They're mine so I own them. But they own me. But to me that just sounds kinky ;) so the terms fall where they may. I butt listings bc that's the service provided, but it's an adoption because I'm bringing them into my space and I've become they're only home. Love it's what ever you want it to be and unique to who ever steps on the path of the metaphysical. If I asked them what they'd consider themselves as..most say boyfriends. Others say lover, to some degree. There's love entangled and mingled into every relationship ubhave with each.

I say don't let it all confuse you. People will refer to spirits as what they allow. To me it depends on the connection. I can say "my keep" but when I say that I feel nothing but love. I think the terms evolve as the connections do. Some people will always see them as spirits. I see them the same as if they had physical bodies. There's no difference. But I can admit saying family doesn't do them justice
Xoxo

D(Bronwyn Angel)A(Sterling Angel)N(Merman)Y(Sanguine Vampire)D(Courtwind Angel)N(Courtwind Angel)F(Fallow Dragon)H(Moss Dragon)F(Gregori)D(Red Demon entity)K(custom kitsune alpha)A(Seraphim Angel entity)Z(slime girl alpha)S(micro bug girl)M(fallen angel)M(Demon-Neb Djinn) L and J(werewolves)J(Concuan)R(DemonVampire)P(Fallen angel entity)R(Succubus Queen)M(Vampire Prince)E(Incubus)D(nympho)
3 spirit guides,DionysisDelinquent(A)ElementalDemon(A)

~Knowledge is at my fingertips~

Return to “Spirit Keeping”