the Maya's - a bigger civilization that originally thought?

Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 108
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire
Zodiac:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 90626.html

so I just watched a documantary on National Geographic, about Maya Snake Kings... and they were talking about discoveries. How they used some Laserthing, in the Jungle of Guatemala, to discover more about Mayan cities... with the Laser and some computer work they could put some pictures in 3d on the screen, and then with some science they made all trees dissapear on the photo. So then they figured out that they just made the biggest discovery in 100 years. That the Mayan cities where far bigger than they originally thought. Basically there lived more than 20 million Maya's in those times... or something, like a very big number. Basically now thanks to this discovery, the Maya's can be written down in the list of oldest and most big civilizations of history, next or almost close to the Egyptian civilization of Farao's and pyramide's and papyrus.

But my question during this documentary was like... oh great, now I'm scared. Cause seriously, what happened afterwards that such a civilization ceased to exist? I always thought it's thanks to Columbus that the Mayans dissapeared, but now I'm just getting to understand that's it's clearly a mystery as what happened with the Mayans? And clearly it's a bigger mystery than the Lost colony, cause the lost colony was only a few of hunderd people... not 20 million? I mean... It's quite a scary thought that such a large number of people could just... dissapear or stop working? Or... I don't know. Does anyone has an idea or well, a friendly spirit from Mayan times who could explain more about it?

But one of my thoughts was during the time I watched this documentary, that there was NO jungle in the time that these cities trived? Because clearly how are you going to build a big city like let's say New York in a Jungle?

proud to be chosen by so many spirits <3

Whatever is Out There has set my destiny, but I'll walk the way to get there.
darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

It's an amazing discoveries : D

About the jungle, over time nature (the jungle, sand, etc) would take over if no one stops it and the conditions allow it. Example is the pyramid buried in sand, or the most recent one is Fukushima:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rness.html

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

The Spanish wiped out the Aztecs. The Mayans were before this. As far as i'm aware, it was long since believed that the Mayans were swallowed by other cultures at the time. But really it's a mystery as to exactly what happened to them. I think there is several theories though but I can't remember them all off by heart.

Formerly known as WhimsicalSage/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

I remember reading, in the year that the Mayan calendar was supposedly ending, that there are some indigenous people in South America whose response to "The Mayans disappeared" is something like laughter and "They think we disappeared". So there are people living today who are descended from Mayans. Now, what do THEY say their ancestors did? Maybe someone should ask them what happened after the ancients abandoned the cities in which they once lived. Maybe there is an explanation and we just haven't asked the right questions of the right people yet.

Given the way indigenous people were treated by the people who arrived on these shores, if I were them, I wouldn't feel compelled to volunteer anything about my culture or history to anyone outside the culture who didn't have the good sense to ask.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 108
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire
Zodiac:

Likes2Read wrote:I remember reading, in the year that the Mayan calendar was supposedly ending, that there are some indigenous people in South America whose response to "The Mayans disappeared" is something like laughter and "They think we disappeared". So there are people living today who are descended from Mayans. Now, what do THEY say their ancestors did? Maybe someone should ask them what happened after the ancients abandoned the cities in which they once lived. Maybe there is an explanation and we just haven't asked the right questions of the right people yet.

Given the way indigenous people were treated by the people who arrived on these shores, if I were them, I wouldn't feel compelled to volunteer anything about my culture or history to anyone outside the culture who didn't have the good sense to ask.
hm... you could be correct about that one. I mean in the end, there are still some people left whose anchestors or something were part of the Templars ( and they were supposed to be all killed by the Church and the French King). So yes, it's fairly possible that there are descendants of the Mayans, but would they know what happened?
Because when Columbus and all those after him went to colonise the New World, there were many things destroyed. The language for example... so the only tales we can hear about those, are told tales... but how many truth does a told tale hold?

proud to be chosen by so many spirits <3

Whatever is Out There has set my destiny, but I'll walk the way to get there.
Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

In any culture whose history is handed down orally from one generation to the next, I would set a lot of store in any retelling they have of what their ancestors did, where they went, and why.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
InfernalNachos
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 3
Spelled Number: 4
Your favorite spirit to work with: Djinn
If I could be anything, I would be...: Something Fuzzy...
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Personal

Gotta necro this thread.

I live in this area. And I can say with the utmost certainty that the Maya are still alive and well. Maybe a bit "watered down" speaking on the assimilation level. But they are there.

For example, I lived in Campeche, Campeche, Mexico for several years. Well... in a tiny village close to there. If you go to public places like hospitals and government buildings, you see duplicate bilingual signs and posters... which isn't too odd, as many places have bilingual posters and such. The odd thing is that one poster was in Spanish and the other in Mayan.

There are indigenous in this area that still speak no Spanish.

Their resident brujos of the area still practice the ancient methods. Pray to the "Old Gods" and perform many of the rites. Still trying to get the wifey to let me go study under one, but she's not having it...

And if you've ever flown over southern Mexico at night, you surely have noticed the huge spots devoid of light. This area is all rainforest and completely capable of housing ancient civilizations as well as living entities.

And Mayan is the next language I want to learn. It's interesting, very interesting, that it's sentence structure is the same as English. Where as almost all of your romance languages are structured the opposite. And they greatly outnumber their opposites, so I'm inclined to say that English is backwards. But the language of the Maya is a pretty good reason to argue the other side of the coin.

Anyways, I can rant about this all day, and very likely veer off into some rabbit trails, so I'm gonna shut it down here.

Do nothing that is of no use.
-Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of the Five Rings-

Why waste magick on something you could easily achieve through time, effort and dedication?

Beware the noobsauce (take with salt)
Alemina
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 10
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Orede
Zodiac:

Okay, I technically don't have anything concrete to tell but I am descended from the Mayans on my moms side. Unfortunately, my great grandma was the last person in our family, that I know of, that actually spoke Mayan. She didn't pass it on completely because no one else but the tribe's people could understand it. She died last year, I believe. My great grandmother did a lot of black magic and would curse our family whenever she got the chance. That said, my grandpa was the only one that visited her until he finally decided it wasn't a good idea. We were lucky that his wife (my beloved grandmother) easily identified such magic and dispelled it quickly. No one talks about our family or visits them because of the dangers they bring (from both sides of my family)

As for the reason for their disappearance, I think it might actually have something to do with black magick. You see... I heard that almost all the tribes people do magick handed down from back then. My great grandmother once spelled rocks with black magick to multiply once in our home and spread hatefulness, bad luck, mistrust, and so on for evil spirits to form. I think she only did things that wouldn't completely hurt her son (my grandpa). Anyway, based on stories, if I had to guess what happened to them, I think jealousy and fear created an environment of distrust and therefore people started using black magick more and more. Maybe a lot of people simply left and others died in the chaos. I'll ask my family if they know anything, though, as I've been very curious myself.
Last edited by Alemina on Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thankful to be in this community. <3 May we learn a little more each day.

Alemina
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 10
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Orede
Zodiac:

Sorry for the wait. Apparently, our ancestors moved because, at the time, there wasn't very much water left. As time went on, their water supply/source shrunk. Until, eventually, they had to leave. Especially since there were a lot of people and often took baths and used water to make their food (tortillas, tamales, etc). The tall temples they had were mostly used to pray to the water god because they rarely got any rain. People left with those they trusted and cared about. Which is why there are tribes all over the place.

When the mayans left and created new tribes in Washington, Texas, other areas of Mexico, and many more, they didn't want to make those giant temples because it took too much time and effort. It was also because the first mayan people made those and they wanted something easier, "modern", and practical. They still all bathed together, naked, but their houses looked different. In the modern day, I don't think anyone bathes naked in water sources anymore for at least about 30 yrs.

Anyway, this is the story that was handed down. Was that really all there was to it?

Thankful to be in this community. <3 May we learn a little more each day.

Return to “Discoveries”