Why I won't use a pendulum ever again

Wiserdice
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 1
My super power would be...: Super speed

So, this might offend some people who believe pendulums to be effective communication tools, but now I am merely writing down my own experiences with the pendulum, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or say that what they believe in is wrong. I don't mean to start a fight! Without further ado, here is what I experienced.

I obviously won't say where, but I purchased a quartz pendulum from a seller. She's got positive reviews and I really liked the items she was offering. The pendulum actually came free with my purchase. Anyway, when it got here, I immediately started working with it. I did read about the dangers of using a pendulum, but since in the listing it was clearly stated that it has a protection spell on it and whatnot, so nothing evil could influence the answers given, I was not worried.

I only have one spirit I am bonded to, and I tired communicating with him using this tool. I used the pendulum for 5 days, and because I am a skeptic and I have a hard time believing in certain things, I decided to try and use the pendulum without holding it myself. So, I attached it to an empty picture frame and tried using it that way. Well, it didn't work at all. What I mean is that it didn't move. And that got me thinking. Who was giving me answers for 5 days? My subconscious? Likely.

So, I did a little test. I started asking the pendulum questions. Stupid questions I obviously know the answers to. I could make the pendulum move in the yes direction if I wanted to or in the no direction if I wanted that. Or any other direction, really. Sometimes, I didnt even have to think what direction I wanted it to swing in, it just started giving me the wrong answers straight ahead. I did another test in which I asked questions from my spirit companion, questions I knew he could answer with ease, given his knowledge in that particular field, and "he" got most of those questions wrong. So, it was clear to me that I wasn't communicating with him in those 5 days.

I started researching this, and what I found is that you can indeed influence the outcome of the answers yourself. Also, there are these so called micro movements your hands do, so even if you think you are holding the pendulum completely still, well...think again. Even the slightest tremble that you can't see can make it move.

I really wanted to believe in this, let me just say that. And I did. But not anymore. To be honest, I have been feeling pretty damn weird ever since I had this experience. I feel like it sort of messed with my mind. I began to question pretty much everything. Did the pendulum really have that protection spell? Did an entity come through and influenced my answers? Did I buy an empty vessel? The worst is - but this might just be me overthinking it - that I now feel like there is a block created between me and my companion. That sucks the most. And I have actually had a dream in the beginning when I started using the pendulum in which my beloved companion showed up and he was very frustrated, angry even. I have never seen him like that. This might be reaching too, but I feel like it is because of the pendulum. So, I really don't know what to believe here. And yes, I tend to overthink but at first I really was convinced that he was just angry because of something else. However, I just couldn't shake this weird feeling off. Feeling that something was wrong.

Honestly, I wish I had never used it. But I didnt know it would cause problems like this. I think I am going to give the pendulum to somebody. Someone else might have better luck with it.

I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences with a pendulum. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Are you able to communicate with your spirits with this tool? And if you are, can you say with 100% certainty (or close to this number lol) that they are moving the pendulum?

"Remember all things are possible for those who believe. Believe and act as if it were impossible to fail. Beliefs have the power to create and the power to destroy".
CrashingDown
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 78
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Djinn
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: A secret.

Pendulums are one of the most inconsistent methods of communication with companions, particularly because they are so open to outside interference and your own influence like you experienced. Kind of like Ouija boards -- they require touch to channel energy and help the companion physically move the vessel in a way that they can give you responses. And just like a Ouija planchette, they are very easy to influence yourself, even if you're not doing it consciously.

Pendulums are all right for a beginner, but part of using them means you need to know how to discern between your subconscious influences and answers from a companion. You might want to give this thread a read. I'd also suggest meditating with the vessel for a while immediately before starting another pendulum session to help attune you to the companion's energy and pick it out from "something else" that could be moving it.

I'd also recommend studying up on how to protect your sessions from outside influences as well. Even if it's spelled, that's no reason not to take any precautionary methods of your own or ignore warding your space. And make sure whenever you use it, before you get started make sure your hand is as steady as you can possibly make it (e.g., rest your elbow on a steady surface, do whatever you need to do to keep your hand/wrist/arm still). And keep in mind that you sometimes have to "reset" the pendulum in the middle of a session to ensure you're still getting accurate answers/ensure you're still talking to the same entity, and you should never start the session without establishing how the entity will respond "yes" and "no" and asking a few establishing questions to ensure they're being truthful with you.

All that said, I think pendulums are okay now and then, but they're definitely not my preferred method of communication either (as I'm sure you've gathered). I can't say I blame you if you don't want to try again. My last recommendation is to also not lean too heavily on tools like a pendulum and start focusing on how to build up your senses to be able to communicate with your companion without them, if you haven't already done so. If you'd like some recommended reads along those lines, let me know and I'll be happy to post a few resources for you.

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value." --Albert Einstein
Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

I would only recommend a pendulum or other physical tool as a stopgap measure while a new keeper is working on building telepathy skills. Tools have their uses, to an extent, provided we keep a few things in mind. First, we have to understand that these things are fallible, not a 100% perfect solution, Second, yes, we can influence the answers, be it consciously or subconsciously, And third -- and this is a big one -- when we are beginners, we DO NOT want to start asking life-changing questions like "does my significant other love me", "is my spouse cheating on me", "does my pet or my spirit family want to be re-homed", because we, and these methods, are NOT PERFECT, especially when we are just starting out.

I have seen people freak themselves out as beginners with a pendulum, or Tarot, or what-have-you, when they asked an extremely emotionally-charged question and got the worst-case-scenario for an answer, So the best thing to do is not torture ourselves with questions like that while we are starting out, Begin with easy things like "what color will my boss be wearing tomorrow", not things that turn our lives upside-down.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Wiserdice
new here
new here

CrashingDown wrote:Pendulums are one of the most inconsistent methods of communication with companions, particularly because they are so open to outside interference and your own influence like you experienced. Kind of like Ouija boards -- they require touch to channel energy and help the companion physically move the vessel in a way that they can give you responses. And just like a Ouija planchette, they are very easy to influence yourself, even if you're not doing it consciously.

Pendulums are all right for a beginner, but part of using them means you need to know how to discern between your subconscious influences and answers from a companion. You might want to give this thread a read. I'd also suggest meditating with the vessel for a while immediately before starting another pendulum session to help attune you to the companion's energy and pick it out from "something else" that could be moving it.

I'd also recommend studying up on how to protect your sessions from outside influences as well. Even if it's spelled, that's no reason not to take any precautionary methods of your own or ignore warding your space. And make sure whenever you use it, before you get started make sure your hand is as steady as you can possibly make it (e.g., rest your elbow on a steady surface, do whatever you need to do to keep your hand/wrist/arm still). And keep in mind that you sometimes have to "reset" the pendulum in the middle of a session to ensure you're still getting accurate answers/ensure you're still talking to the same entity, and you should never start the session without establishing how the entity will respond "yes" and "no" and asking a few establishing questions to ensure they're being truthful with you.

All that said, I think pendulums are okay now and then, but they're definitely not my preferred method of communication either (as I'm sure you've gathered). I can't say I blame you if you don't want to try again. My last recommendation is to also not lean too heavily on tools like a pendulum and start focusing on how to build up your senses to be able to communicate with your companion without them, if you haven't already done so. If you'd like some recommended reads along those lines, let me know and I'll be happy to post a few resources for you.
Thank you for your response! ^^ You know, the funny thing is that I was thinking the same. I felt like I was starting to get too dependent on the pendulum itself, and I began neglecting other forms of communication we established...communication forms that were working so well for us such as telepathy (okay, there is still a lot to learn on this front) or daydreaming. I went back to those, and no, I am never going to use a pendulum again! I'd really appreciate if you could point me in the direction of other resources! All I know is that as long as they don't require a tool for communication, I'm perfectly fine with them!

"Remember all things are possible for those who believe. Believe and act as if it were impossible to fail. Beliefs have the power to create and the power to destroy".
Wiserdice
new here
new here

Likes2Read wrote:I would only recommend a pendulum or other physical tool as a stopgap measure while a new keeper is working on building telepathy skills. Tools have their uses, to an extent, provided we keep a few things in mind. First, we have to understand that these things are fallible, not a 100% perfect solution, Second, yes, we can influence the answers, be it consciously or subconsciously, And third -- and this is a big one -- when we are beginners, we DO NOT want to start asking life-changing questions like "does my significant other love me", "is my spouse cheating on me", "does my pet or my spirit family want to be re-homed", because we, and these methods, are NOT PERFECT, especially when we are just starting out.

I have seen people freak themselves out as beginners with a pendulum, or Tarot, or what-have-you, when they asked an extremely emotionally-charged question and got the worst-case-scenario for an answer, So the best thing to do is not torture ourselves with questions like that while we are starting out, Begin with easy things like "what color will my boss be wearing tomorrow", not things that turn our lives upside-down.
Yeah, that crossed my mind as well. I mean, what you said about telepathy. I felt the same way about it that using a pendulum can at least help with your telepathic skills, you see how that kind of communication should happen between the two of you. If nothing else, it showed me how to focus on sending the message to my spirit friend and receiving his response.

I feel I have to trust my intuition more. I've never had problems when I just relied on my mind (lucid dreaming, telepathy and so on). But I thought I would try out something new. Wish I had never done it though. But now it doesn't really matter. What's happened, happened.

Thank you for replying!

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Zodiac:

Go to the Spirit Tasking sub forum and look for the "Get communicating NOW with your spirits" thread for practice ideas.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Aerohopper
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male

I got the same problem with pendulum, inconsistent answers and micro movement of my hand can easily influence outcome.

niceprotonman
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: PeiNgoTorTorCheen
If I could be anything, I would be...: me
My magical/paranormal name...: TiuLengLui

I don't get the part where <... "he" got most of the questions wrong>.

Mathematically speaking, right and wrong answers should (almost) balance each other out, if it was a random / unbiased test.

If "he" got most of the answers "wrong", could it be that you were interpreting "Yes" answers as "No" answers? Maybe you gave confusing instructions to your spirit? Maybe one of you has left-right confusion (20% of the population has this problem)?

But anyway, if you think pendulum is not for you, sure, go ahead and explore other options, or even come up with your own more successful methods.

Good luck.

CrashingDown
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 78
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Djinn
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My magical/paranormal name...: A secret.

Wiserdice wrote:Thank you for your response! ^^ You know, the funny thing is that I was thinking the same. I felt like I was starting to get too dependent on the pendulum itself, and I began neglecting other forms of communication we established...communication forms that were working so well for us such as telepathy (okay, there is still a lot to learn on this front) or daydreaming. I went back to those, and no, I am never going to use a pendulum again! I'd really appreciate if you could point me in the direction of other resources! All I know is that as long as they don't require a tool for communication, I'm perfectly fine with them!
You're welcome! :D

Yeah, I understand the temptation to use tools when your skills haven't been honed to the point where you can clearly hear/see/feel/etc. Someone already mentioned one of the resources I was going to recommend, but I'm including the link here anyway since they didn't link it themselves. :lol:

* Get Started Communicating Now With Your Spirits
* Satan & Suns Parastock Seminar: Sensing, Feeling...
* Interaction Tips (this thread was about Alphas, but I'm sure you'll still find the exercises in it useful)

Also, have you tried asking your companion to do things like answer yes/no questions by touching or closing your hands (like right for yes, left for no)?

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value." --Albert Einstein
draco_star898
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

I'm going to touch on a part of what Likes2Read said about emotionally charged questions. When we are emotionally charged we are not operating through our psychic pathways and any info we receive from any psychic source we use might very well be wrong, whether it comes from a pendulum, cards, and even or own intuition. That's why it's best to consult an outside source we trust when it comes to emotionally charged questions.

As far as pendulums go you have to keep in mind that yes it is influenced by our subconscious, which is in turn being influenced by our intuition or our companions. It's not a bad thing, but you have got to learn to be open to this influence and remove your conscious doubt from the equation. This is why protection and having sessions in a cleansed and protected area is so important, bc you are opening yourself to influence. When we start doubting we become emotional and that starts mudding the waters and we begin to get irrational and confusing answers.

I don't use tools often, and generally it's tarot cards when I do, but I have worked with these types of tools successfully in the past. Plus there are lots of different things you can use pendulums for that are just as fun, they're great at picking up on energy in objects if your still developing energy sensitivity and I've seen others use them to check and clear chakras before!

I agree that learning telepathy and other psychic communication is always going to be the most helpful but just like with tools it requires the development of discernment, so it's always going to be working with what you feel most comfortable with as that will always be the most important.

Return to “General Questions”