BACK TO BASICS: A Must Read

sage of aquarius
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced

Seer, just know that there is no such thing as coincidence. And it could be a sign of evolution on your path.

I know Crone has more familiarity with the Witch School than I do. But I can say that the Witch School has a website and they also have there course work published in a series of 3 books. I have the books and I can state that the material is well-written and easy to read. Each text contains 12 lessons that discuss the magickal tradition--the school is that of Corellian Witchcraft but the lessons are an excellent basis for anyone to learn the basics of magick. The lessons offer some background info on what the lesson covers, some exercises with energy that with later texts moves into work with the chakras, a spell to cast--these are a good place to start building one's own BOS, a glossary of terms that may be new to the student, and a quiz to see that you have grasped an understanding of the material and that on occasion causes you to discover what motivates your interest in magic.

Hopefully other of our elders will be looking back through their own libraries for good text for beginners.

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
crone maatkaere
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 2638
Spelled Number: 847
Your favorite spirit to work with: immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: vampire
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Raven Greywolf
Zodiac:

seer, i have actual experience with both witch school (i hold a lifetime membership) and took year one at gray's back in 2008. moonwriter is one of the nicest "professors" at gray's. the cost is like 40 a year and includes your courses and course material. with each successive level you take i think it only raises 5.00. witch school has actually published their 3 degree course in books which can be found through local bookstores and i believe even amazon. i have the original binder books which came with my lifetime membership and i can say that level one or first degree contains many of the basics that many members here keep asking about. if anyone gets any of the witch school books beginning with level one keep in mind that while it is leading the student to hopefully become part of the correllian tradition and clergy in that tradition, the detailed instructions followed by end of chapter exercises gives you a great learning opportunity with questions that make sure you understand how to do what was covered. gray's school also has classes that are mandatory for the year level as well as electives which can be taken after you complete and pass the mandatory ones. they require written essays on the subjects you learn which you post to the professors and are graded. both are great opportunities and while witch school is "all business", gray's is on a "hogwart's" type school with students sorted into houses/lodges and also competition in school activities. i totally enjoyed my year at gray's and would definitely return if i was able. i would definitely encourage our younger members to check it out just because there is so much you can learn there.

hope this helps more! hugs to all.... :grouphug:

witch, wa, da, specialty in egyptian, celt, asian, hindu magick
trained conjurer
cupping healer
reiki grand master and elven shaman

By the moon we sport and play. With the night begins our day...Thomas Ravenscroft
Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly....me
Ē\ tā\n ē\ epì tâs - "Either [with] it [your shield], or on it"...Spartan Mothers to their sons
Mau Emerald Nile
SEER777
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 32
Your favorite spirit to work with: WA/DA
If I could be anything, I would be...: A beloved pet
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Seer
Zodiac:

Thank you Sage and Crone...What a mind trip.

K. and I were college roommates for 3 years. I had been to her mothers house several times during those years. K told me that her mother practiced Wicca but never told me anything more than that. However, a memory of something her mother told us to do one time, I pass on to others and started my journey on this road.

I think it was about 2000 and it was during one of the Solstices. Susan told us to go outside at the exact moment of the Solstice and stand eggs up on their tips. I watched with amazement as the eggs stood on their own balanced on their tips. At the moment the Solstice ended (minutes later) all the eggs fell over on there sides. I was amazed to say the least. After that I observed every Solstice and Equinox and would tell that story to whomever would listen. Today I felt the need to tell the "family story" about her family. Then I found this thread about the GSW, then found her listed as an instructor. It makes one think.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -Seneca

"Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body." ~Seneca
Wiccan Warrior Alex
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Black Dragon/wraith
If I could be anything, I would be...: Wraith
My magical/paranormal name...: Given to a few close friends
Zodiac:

Fab resources, Grey's and Witch School. You may want to add to your knowledge by starting to collect a few reference books as well:

The Magical Formulary Books I and II : Herman Slater

Scott Cunningham, one of the Original green witches works:

# 1982 - Magical Herbalism: The Secret of the Wise (ISBN 0-87542-120-2)
# 1983 - Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic (ISBN 0-87542-121-0)
# 1985 - Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (ISBN 0-87542-122-9)
# 1987 - Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, and Metal Magic (ISBN 0-87542-126-1)
# 1988 - Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner (ISBN 0-87542-118-0)
# 1989 - The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews (ISBN 0-87542-128-8)
# 1989 - Magical Aromatherapy: The Power of Scent (ISBN 0-87542-129-6)
# 1991 - Earth, Air, Fire, and Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic (ISBN 0-87542-131-8)
# 1993 - Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen (ISBN 0-7387-0226-9)
# 1993 - Divination For Beginners (ISBN 0-7387-0384-2)
# 1993 - Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner (ISBN 0-87542-184-9)
# 1993 - Spell Crafts: Creating Magical Objects (ISBN 0-87542-185-7)
# 1993 - The Truth About Herb Magic (ISBN 0-87542-132-6)
# 1994 - The Truth About Witchcraft (ISBN 0-87542-357-4)
# 1995 - Hawaiian Magic and Spirituality (ISBN 1-56718-199-6)
# 1997 - Pocket Guide to Fortune Telling (ISBN 0-89594-875-3)
# 1999 - Dreaming the Divine: Techniques for Sacred Sleep (ISBN 1-56718-192-9)
# 2009 - Cunningham's Book of Shadows: The Path of An American Traditionalist (ISBN 0-73871-914-5)* A rediscovered manuscript written by Cunningham in the late 70's or early 80's. Set to be released October 2009.[2]

Anna Riva whose magical oils are known worldwide:

# The Modern herbal spellbook (1974)
# Voodoo Handbook of Cult Secrets (1974)
# Secrets of Magical Seals: A Modern Grimoire of Amulets, Charms, Symbols and Talismans (1975)
# Spellcraft, Hexcraft and Witchcraft (1977)
# Candle Burning Magic: A Spellbook of Rituals for Good and Evil (1980)
# Powers of the Psalms (1982)
# Devotions to the Saints (1982)
# Golden Secrets of Mystic Oils (1990)
# How to Conduct a Seance (1997)

Dion Fortune, the British Occultist 1890 - 1946

* The Mystical Qabalah, 1935
* The Cosmic Doctrine, 1949
* Applied Magic, 1962
* Psychic Self-Defense, 1971
* Glastonbury: Avalon of the Heart, 1986
* The Circuit of Force (with Gareth Knight)
* The Training and Work of an Initiate (with Gareth Knight)
* An Introduction to Ritual Magic (with Gareth Knight), 1997
* What Is Occultism?, 2001
* Mystical Meditations on the Christian Collects, 2006

Isreal Regardie 1907 - 1985 Occultist (I have an autographed copy of the complete Golden Dawn, awesome book)

* A Garden of Pomegranates
* The Tree of Life
* My Rosicrucian Adventure
* The Art of True Healing
* The Middle Pillar
* The Philosopher's Stone
* The Romance of Metaphysics
* The Art and Meaning of Magic
* Be Yourself, the Art of Relaxation
* New Wings for Daedalus
* Twelve Steps to Spiritual Enlightenment
* The Eye in the Triangle
* Roll Away the Stone
* The Legend of Aleister Crowley (with P.R. Stephenson)

Torkom Saraydarian - easy to read and understand

The science of Meditation (Excellent, excellent beginners book)
Understanding Karma and Reincarnation
Learning about the Divine source of all human beings
Higher Worlds of life and Divine guidance
The healing of our physical, emotional, mental, and higher spiritual bodies
Understanding the flow of psychic energy
The science of the soul and the work of the Guardian Angel (Another very good beginner's book)
Developing the power of the human soul
Psyche & Psychism (two volume set) Plan to spend at least 6 months reading this set, they are huge !

Alice A Bailey: Her works are for the intermediate to advanced occultist, I have collected all of her works, they are phenomenal !

* Bailey, Alice (1922), Initiation, human and solar, Lucifer Pub. Co., OCLC 1882542 - Intermediate
* Bailey, Alice (1922), Letters on occult meditation, New York, OCLC 16554444 - Intermediate
* Bailey, Alice Anne (1930) [1925], A treatise on cosmic fire, OCLC 59038059 = Advanced study
* Bailey, Alice (1997) [1927], The light of the soul : its science and effect : a paraphrase of the Yoga sutras of Patanjali, Lucis Publishing, ISBN 9780853301127, http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/415484607 = Intermediate/advanced
* Bailey, Alice A. (1987) [1934], A treatise on white magic, or, The way of the disciple (5 ed.), Lucis Pub. Co., ISBN 9780853301233, http://books.google.com/books?id=k80-QgAACAAJ - This is an advanced book for the adept.
* Bailey, Alice (1944), Discipleship in the new age, New York, Lucis Pub. Co. [, OCLC 7376440 Intermediate
* Bailey, Alice (1944), The problems of humanity, New York, OCLC 368105355
* Bailey, Alice (1947), The reappearance of the Christ, New York, Men of Goodwill, OCLC 80397436 Beginner friendly
* Bailey, Alice (1949), The destiny of the nations, Lucis, OCLC 221102891 Intermediate to advanced
* Bailey, Alice (1950), Glamour : a world problem, Lucis Press, OCLC 221718671 Beginner to intermediate
* Bailey, Alice (1950), Telepathy and the etheric vehicle, New York, Lucis Pub. Co, OCLC 19102973 Intermediate
* Education in the New Age—1954
* The Externalization of the Hierarchy—1957 Intermediate
* Ponder On This: A Compilation—2003
* A Treatise on the Seven Rays: Intermediate to advanced
o Volume 1: Esoteric Psychology I—1936
o Volume 2: Esoteric Psychology II—1942
o Volume 3: Esoteric Astrology—1951
o Volume 4: Esoteric Healing—1953
o Volume 5: The Rays and the Initiations—1960
* The Consciousness of the Atom—1922
* The Soul and its Mechanism—1930
* From Intellect to Intuition—1932
* From Bethlehem to Calvary—1937 beginner friendly
* The Unfinished Autobiography—1951 beginner friendly
* The Labors of Hercules—1974 (One of my Favorites ! beginner friendly)
* The Labours of Hercules: An Astrological Interpretation—first published 1982 Beginner Friendly

Franz Bardon - intermediate to advanced

* 1.1 Initiation Into Hermetics
* 1.2 The Practice of Magical Evocation
* 1.3 The Key to the True Kabbalah
* 1.4 The Golden Book of Wisdom
The Practice of Magical Evocation Intermediate - but a must read for anyone wanting to learn more about conjuration of spirits

It is important to stretch your mind and your understanding in many different directions. Learning, in the occult world is a layered approach. The more you learn, the more you will understand. When we reach the point where we realize we don't know much, we really start to learn.

ImageIf everyone cared and nobody cried,
If everyone loved and nobody lied,
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.
Nickleback
Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Zodiac:

Hey, hope this isn't tacky. But I have the 2004 edition to this book for sale in the Marketplace if you're interested.
# 1988 - Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner (ISBN 0-87542-118-0)
I somehow ended up with two copies in my library. I'm selling the brand new one...I think its only been opened once. :witch:

sage of aquarius
active contributor
active contributor

WOW Alex! Thanks for putting up such a full list.

Ellegria, hopefully someone reading this that is looking for a place to start will purchase the text!

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
crone maatkaere
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

alex, once more you amaze me and bring a smile to my face because of your tireless dedication to our craft always with that hand out behind you assisting those of us who follow you! many great books and information here and hope that everyone takes the time to at least peruse some of the titles if they interest you. :) remember, just because something has the word "wicca" in the title doesn't mean it's for wiccans or witches only and many times the instructions for help inside are invaluable to everyone wishing to work with their meditative work, chakras, etc. thanks alex!

hugs to all! :grouphug:

trained conjurer
cupping healer

By the moon we sport and play. With the night begins our day...Thomas Ravenscroft
Ē\ tā\n ē\ epì tâs - "Either [with] it [your shield], or on it"...Spartan Mothers to their sons
Mau Emerald Nile
Wiccan Warrior Alex
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Thank you Crone. And always, one hand reached out ahead of us, to those who know more than we. I am thankful to the many teachers/friends/mentors who have come into my life over the years to help me along my path. A special thank you to Brother Caiyros, for his infinite wisdom, help and advice, and to Sister Crone, who friendship, philosophy, and wisdom has also aided my own journey. We are never too old to learn!

The list is not just a list. I have read all of these books. I actually have a second copy of Bailey's "The Reappearance of Christ".

Elle, not tacky at all. The dates listed were the first publication dates, many have had additional material added and/or have been reformatted and edited in later editions.

Cunningham's books are easy to read and understand. Good reference material and foundation books. His herbals, oils, incense, brews
books are some of the most extensive reference books published. It was truly a labor of love for Scott, who dedicated his life to the craft.

Bright Blessings,
Alex

Nickleback
Wiccan Warrior Alex
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Anyone read something recently that needs to be added to this list?

Nickleback
crone maatkaere
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

dear alex, yes i have and it is called "the genesis race, our extraterrestrial dna and the true origins of the species as written by will hart". it is an amazing book to include in any metaphysical library for sure! :grouphug:

trained conjurer
cupping healer

Mau Emerald Nile

Return to “Educational Material”