venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100519.html

"Long before Stonehenge was built, well before the Dead Sea Scrolls were written, ancient artists painted life-sized figures on canyon walls in Utah, USA -- but why? Nobody is sure. The entire panel of figures, which dates back about 7,000 years, is called the Great Gallery and was found on the walls of Horseshoe Canyon in Canyonlands National Park. The humans who painted them likely hunted Mammoths. The unusual fuzziness of largest figure led to this mural section's informal designation as the Holy Ghost Panel, although the intended attribution and societal importance of the figure are really unknown."

What do you guys think this can be? A ghost as the panel suggests? An Alien? A Spiritual Leader?

FeyLady68
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 30
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fae
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fae
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Thea or you can just call me Fey
Zodiac:

Really interesting!

The wiki page has a great picture of it, the second one down especially is a nice long range shot of the figures and if you click it you can get a bigger image and zoom around in it.
:thumbup:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_Canyon_(Utah)

Best wishes!

Spirit of the Earth... remember...
Spirit of the Sky... remember...
sologrl
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 1
Your favorite spirit to work with: vamps
If I could be anything, I would be...: valkyrie
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

wow O.O

Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

My personal, objective opinions of the mural because I highly doubt it represents the Holy Ghost since the tribes that originally lived in that area were not Christians:

*It represents an important gathering of a communal meeting of multiple, local tribes or an important event of the tribe who settled that area. The largest figure has a skull-like face which has been known in other tribes to represent one of several things:

* Witchdoctor or shaman who was proficient in magic as well as communicating with the dead, it could be the gathering had something to do with raising ancestral spirits
* A great act of human sacrifice lead by the witchdoctor or shaman to appease the gods or provoke the gods - in which case you could also add the theory the figures are representations of all the people who were sacrificed. If this is the case then it would also be a hallowed ground where they would make offerings & perform rites as the mural would then be spiritually charged area

The fact the skull-faced figure is bigger than the humans in the mural means they perceived whoever it is meant to represent as more important than mere humans or is greater in power than humans.

Alternate theory:

*There was a disease or epidemic that swept through that tribe and the figures represent those taken and the skull-like figure that is greater than the humans, thereby making the mural a memorial

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
ValisWindWalker
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 3
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Elementals
If I could be anything, I would be...: myself!
My magical/paranormal name...: Valis!
Zodiac:

Its makes me wonder why all the figures on the right are spaced apart and are colored different. They have different things going on. But on the left they have several of the other figures almost surrounding the skull like person.... i don't maybe it could be a picture of the afterlife on the right and a conjuring on the right...?

~`'\/'`~Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion,
honor and humility, mirth and reverence, within you
~`'\/'`~
• (¯`*•.¸。❁。¸.•*´¯) •
freya
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: no faves
If I could be anything, I would be...: fairy or elf
My magical/paranormal name...: freya
Zodiac:

It could also represent the different tribes or a meeting of a bunch of people because if you look, a lot have what look like blankets on and all are different weaves. Different tribes have different patterns that they use, even nowadays.

This is why I love Utah..all this history BESIDES the pioneers that has survived.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak. ~Author Unknown

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. ~Abraham Lincoln
SEER777
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 32
Your favorite spirit to work with: WA/DA
If I could be anything, I would be...: A beloved pet
My magical/paranormal name...: Seer
Zodiac:

The impression I get is this is a representation of different family groups with in the tribe. There seems to be women and children depicted as well as men. The men appear to have more squared shoulders and a more distinct head. Women appear more drapey in form. The largest figure in the Great Gallery is seven ft tall and nearly life-size, so you can deduce that the smaller figures are women and children. One figure seems to have multiple tiny figures next to their right shoulder. This could indicate death in infancy or miscarriage. The "infants" do seem to be attached to the male figure but the female is represented at his side and at equal size.

The skull figure (and family group), being separate from the rest of the figures could be a representation of a "ruling family" or family of the Shaman like Magnolia mentioned. There appear to be two children represented with this group a male and a female to his right.

In the middle of this picture the "child" seems to be of a reasonable age.
Thanks for posting Killar.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -Seneca

"Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body." ~Seneca

Return to “Haunted & Spirited Archeology”