A Guide to Connecting for Non-Psychics and for Skeptics

Got any neat tricks on how to connect with Spirits? Post here!
Lampropeltis
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gods and creatures.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human's fine for now
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: It's a mystery! ;)
Zodiac:

Alternately titled, "So you're having a Phoenix"

I’m posting this in this section, so that people can see it when they aren’t logged in.

This guide is partially for (new) non-psychics, partially for skeptics, but hopefully others will find something handy as well. I don’t wish to offend non-psychics or skeptics by lumping them together, but the same information is handy for both types, so please bear with me.

For Non-Psychics: So, you enjoy ghost stories, may have encountered some uncanny coincidences, and you believe there's extraordinary stuff out there. And you now have a pretty tumbled stone in a clear plastic baggie with a label listing name, age, gender, appearance and species. And you may have felt a little more happy or peaceful than normal, but a Fawkes-like being straight from the Harry Potter world hasn't swooped in the door and said 'Howdy.'

The good news and bad news is that this is normal. If you couldn’t contact spirits before, even with a friendly spirit wanting to contact you, you’ll need to learn how. The spirit world isn't flashy. There are some extraordinary stories in the forum, but most of the time they're from people with a close rapport with their spirits, and they may be reporting several minutes of highlights out of a comparatively quiet week or month. Good to know, but you'd still like to get across and receive basic messages, or some form of contact.

So then... here are some options.

Mental contact: Every person has an energy signature. Some people are bold, others quiet, others fierce, and others gentle. Keep track of your trains of thought, learn what you think when, and learn what your energy signature feels like. Once you're aware of this, you may occasionally find a thought and energy signature pop up that isn't 'you' as you know it. There is a good chance that this is your spirit. This may seem too simple, but it is the beginning of telepathy.

Emotional contact: Every person has their own emotional range and reactions. And much like mental contact, if you keep track of your own emotions, and what you feel when, you may find an emotion popping out of nowhere, and have no physical or contextual explanation for it. There is a decent chance this is your spirit, and is also the beginning of empathy. Be warned that if you go this route, you will also need to learn how to either tone your empathy down in certain situations, or learn to shield like Fort Knox.

Physical contact: There is a exercise called 'making a psi ball.' or a ball out of energy that will give your hands a cool, warm, sticky, or tingly feeling. I'm not going over it here, as this article will be long enough, and there are excellent articles on it available. But your spirit can generate a similar energy. So if you extend your hand and request that they touch it in a way that you can feel, you may feel their energy or even a slight pressure. Thank them after making the request. Even if you feel nothing, give them the benefit of the doubt. They're probably trying as hard as you are.

Verbal contact: Except for in extraordinary circumstances, this is a one-way form of contact. But they can hear what you say or mentally think to them, even if you can't hear their response. And language is no barrier.

Visual contact: There are three ways to do this. First, keep watch in your peripheral vision. You may see streaks of light, moving shadows, and even flashes. This is a surprisingly common form of manifestation. Second, there are invocations you can use along with a mirror. Third, orbs sometimes show up in photographs.

Pendulum or dowsing rods: After shielding with at the absolute least, a bubble of white light encircling you, or a prayer to your deity of choice, you can use a pendulum to communicate with your spirit and receive yes/no answers. But even honest spirits are limited in discussing the tangible world. You can probably get them to answer 'would you prefer to have your vessel on this shelf or that one?' but lottery numbers are a no-go. If you get muddled or malicious responses, close the session, and upgrade your shielding next time.

Dreams: Many people have excellent luck with dream contact. I have not, but it remains an excellent option for some. If you wish to pursue this, there are many practices such as keeping a dream journal which can lead to remembering more dreams.

Flashy phenomena: Objects moving, odd smells, thumping, and manifestation are possible, but very rare. In some cases, it is possible to request a something flashy and receive it, but there are three major drawbacks. First, it takes a lot of energy for your spirit. Second, if you request something flashy, receive it, and wig out like a little girl, you will frighten or upset your spirit, instill a fear response in yourself, and the chance of a repeat performance will be zilch. Don't ask me how I know this. Third, spirits are not trained circus dogs, and should not be treated as such. Make a pest of yourself and demand performances, and even the sweetest fairy will be insulted and suggest that you take a long walk off a short pier.

Coincidence: Keep watch on the world around you. That beautifully shaped cloud at sunset, that animal crossing your path that's associated with your spirit, and that song coming on the radio at that uncanny moment are all signs. Sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence, but other times, it's wondrous.

Lastly, treat and address your spirit as you would a friend. Keep their vessel in a clean, comfortable secure location when it's not with you, give them treats that are associated with them, speak to them, even if you can't hear their replies, and make them a part of your life. You're on an incredible journey and the flashy stuff comes with time.

For Skeptics: So, you live an ordinary life, you may avoid major blasphemy in your religion, or traipsing around graveyards at midnight, but you're pretty down to earth and live an ordinary life. But... you were browsing Ebay and found a cheap weird listing and thought 'what the hey'. Or maybe you’re a more hardcore Skeptic. Carl Sagan is your hero. You’re scientifically minded and raise an eyebrow when 'weird' subjects come up. However, you’re going through a rough patch and your beloved but wacky cousin Lady Moonlight is worried and gave you a rock that she says harbors a phoenix spirit.

And now you're looking at this rock. And you've been browsing this site with people talking about angels and dragons, and you're wondering how far down the rabbit hole you've gone. You think this would be really neat if it was real, but you really don't want to go off the deep end and start talking to a rock.

The good news is you'll be talking to the phoenix, not the rock. That the phoenix is typically invisible to our spectrum of visual light, is inconvenient, I'll admit. But there it is.

The means of connection listed for a non-psychic, are the same ones that you can apply, and apply to good effect. The main trouble is the whole 'talking to a rock' bit. It makes you a little queasy and sounds a little silly to you. How on earth do you talk to a rock? Or an invisible phoenix linked to a rock?

The Hamster Option: I may catch flack for this, but it's the best option I can think of that will keep you comfortable, and your phoenix well-treated. Imagine that your phoenix/rock is the coolest hamster or parakeet in the world. Let's say his name on the little slip of paper is 'Sparky'. He doesn't need food or water, but simply a nice habitat and good-hearted attention. So you can set his vessel (rock) in a discreet place of honor in your house, keep some things listed as associations or treats nearby, keep it well tended, and give him a mental nod as you go by. 'Hey Sparky, going jogging, see you later!' or 'Hey Sparky, there's a gorgeous sunset outside, want to check it out?' or 'Hey Sparky, Timmy's going off to soccer camp, don't suppose you could keep an eye on him for me?' Be sure to carry 'Sparky' around for the first month during the bonding period. Afterwards if he's bridged, it isn't necessary.

Favorable Bias: One of the hallmarks of good science is professional objectivity. But while that's essential when observing chemical reactions, in close relationships, or in figuring out whether your Phoenix is real and bonding with that Phoenix, favorable bias while unscientific, becomes necessary. Catherine MacCoun in her book 'On Becoming an Alchemist' explains it better than I can. 'The scientific method is very good at knowing some things, but it can be an impediment to knowing other things. Suppose, for instance, a gentleman is attracted to a certain lady and wishes to become better acquainted with her. Can he achieve this by measuring her, taking her temperature, and subjecting her to a CAT scan? Not only will these operations fail to tell him what he really wants to know, but they are likely to so annoy the object of his inquiry that she stops returning his calls. What he really wishes to know- the intimate secrets of her body and soul- can only be learned if he ceases to be objective. She will entrust her secrets to him only if he displays clear bias in her favor. And the more exclusive his knowledge of her- that is, the less it can be confirmed by any observer besides himself- the more precious it is to him.' So that's something to be considered.

Dealing with Weirdoes: In discussing things on the forum, we're more than happy to give you tips and recommendations, and dig up an obscure association for you. But even if you think we're a little loopy, please leave any 'more intellectual than thou' or 'superior priorities to thou' personal dilemmas you have out of it unless you have a good reason to bring them up. In a conversation with a clearly intelligent, skeptical and pleasant person, without provocation, they stated that they preferred to spend their time cultivating their relationships with people rather than spirits. Not that bad a slight, but this is a forum on keeping spirits. It's like stating on a forum dedicated to literature, that one prefers to spend their time cultivating their relationships with people rather than reading. Coming out of left field, it doesn't sound good. So take a deep breath, be wary and discreet if you wish, but there's no need to be super-defensive. There's two kinds of people. Weird ones, and ones you don't know well. Yes we're weird, but we're here to help.

Escape Hatch: You can’t handle the hamster option, or the implied weirdness of keeping a Phoenix in the house. You want out. Please don’t toss the rock, even if you are rabidly convinced that this is hooey. There are three decent options that leave the Phoenix well-treated and out of your hair.
Option 1. The Creepy Hollows SRA (Spirit Rescue Adoption) program. You’ll be out the cost of postage and a bubble mailer, but your Phoenix will make someone very happy.
Option 2. If the Phoenix was a gift, and you are uncomfortable with it, return it to your cousin Lady Moonlight while explaining things gently. Your cousin has the right to know and it will clear the air. You can smooth things over by also handing her a scrap of velvet for Sparky (a treat for a Phoenix) and loaning her a book of choice, possibly a book on science for laypeople. (I personally recommend Bill Bryson’s ‘A Complete History of Nearly Everything’. If you adamantly wish to loan her a ‘debunking’ book, I recommend Carl Sagan as he takes the high road and fights clean.)
Option 3. Selling Sparky. You’re on a tight budget and need money, or you think that Creepy Hollows is a scheme to part fools from their money. If the former’s the case, Creepy Hollows spirit stone cost minus your price of shipping may be a good place to start your price. Be sure to photograph the plastic baggie and the paper with his information, but don't show or reveal his name in your listing. Or if you think the latter’s the case and you are uncomfortable selling a 'Phoenix', you could describe its origin, the information, and sell the stone for the value of the mineral, plus your time listing it. In this case your conscience is clean, a collector gets a Phoenix for a modest price, and on a small level you’ve out-competed something you see as bad.
In any case, Sparky wins.

Whoever you are, I thank you for your time, and hope this helps. :phoenix:

"With great power comes great responsibility." -Uncle Ben
Alycat79
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

Wonderful article, Lamp! And you've inspired me to try the touching exercise. :wave: Very informative, and it was nice to see a few of the things mentioned that I've picked up on (the animal associations, clouds, and the streaks and movements out of the corners of my eye come to mind, along with, at one point, growling), and I'll also second the comment about going the empathy route. Learn how to lock yourself down, because it's NOT fun when you're watching TV with someone, and a commercial for rescuing abused animals comes on and you start bawling your eyes out while your friend looks at you like you're crazy.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Final stanza of the poem Invictus by William Earnest Henley

You have no power over me. - Sarah Williams from Labyrinth

The truly powerful never feel the need to brag about it. - Me

Divinita
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

:thumbup: :thumbup: ::nice::

Divinita
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Alycat79 wrote:Wonderful article, Lamp! And you've inspired me to try the touching exercise. :wave: Very informative, and it was nice to see a few of the things mentioned that I've picked up on (the animal associations, clouds, and the streaks and movements out of the corners of my eye come to mind, along with, at one point, growling), and I'll also second the comment about going the empathy route. Learn how to lock yourself down, because it's NOT fun when you're watching TV with someone, and a commercial for rescuing abused animals comes on and you start bawling your eyes out while your friend looks at you like you're crazy.
those commercials get me every time!!!! :(
and i heard growling too, before my gargy arrived. :thumbup:

freya
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: no faves
If I could be anything, I would be...: fairy or elf
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: freya
Zodiac:

Awesome post and some great reminders for me! Thanks!

Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak. ~Author Unknown

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. ~Abraham Lincoln
Raexis
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 11

Thanks for all of the information!

I appreciate it. :D

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night." –Edgar Allan Poe
:pumpkin:
WILDNFREE
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 10
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: Arkan sonney
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Lady Sethunya
Zodiac:

Thank you for the information Lamp. Very informative and well put. We can all do with help on this journey.

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”
Cell28
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 80
Spelled Number: 300
Your favorite spirit to work with: My custom Servitor
If I could be anything, I would be...: a Shapeshifter
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

Wonderful post, and helpful reminder on little things I tend to forget sometimes.. ;)
Big Thanks for posting it ! :thumbup: :applause:

Greetings,Tasha
Wiccan Warrior Alex
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Black Dragon/wraith
If I could be anything, I would be...: Wraith
My magical/paranormal name...: Given to a few close friends
Zodiac:

::bump:: This thread deserves to be sticky noted to stay on top.
Very informative and well written Lamp !!!

Namasste,
Alex

ImageIf everyone cared and nobody cried,
If everyone loved and nobody lied,
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.
Nickleback
Lampropeltis
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gods and creatures.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human's fine for now
My magical/paranormal name...: It's a mystery! ;)
Zodiac:

Thanks guys, and you're very welcome. :D

It took some time to write, but these topics come up often enough that hopefully it will give someone a good lead, or help them avoid a stumbling block. ::wave::

"With great power comes great responsibility." -Uncle Ben

Return to “Connecting”