The Catoblepas Report

Discussion of Dark Arts creatures starting with letters A-H.
Lampropeltis
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gods and creatures.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human's fine for now
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: It's a mystery! ;)
Zodiac:

I'm surprised there's so little information about these guys, (and I really need to bump the 'most underrated list with their name) and here's my experience.

I'm an artist, so I have to focus well, and when my energy and 'edge' drops below a certain point, there's not much I can do. I also have the tendency to... Oh, look a shiny object!!! Here shiny shiny shiny!!!

So due to this, I got a Catoblepas. When I perceive him, he vaguely resembles a giant boar-like animal similar to a prehistoric Archaeotherium. The encyclopedia describes scales, I've never picked up on scales, but then that's me.

Disposition-wise, he is quiet, serious, and deliberate, but he is typically also agreeable and cordial. Being praised, cooed over or hugged really isn't his thing, so I try to contain myself. He can be moody and I'm sure he's capable of aggression, but aside from emphatically letting me know that he isn't one for the warm fuzzies, he's never given me problems.

If he is average for his species, I'd say they're handleable for a beginner. However his energy while not dark, is quite heavy and comparable energy could knock more sensitive people for a loop till they adapt.

The Encyclopedia doesn't recommend treats, but I've noted that he distinctly seems to take pleasure from being around me when I work, providing logistical suggestions, and overall being a supportive presence. And he does appreciate being appreciated.

I adore my guy, (without telling him that I adore him. Sheesh.) And for someone who works solo and needs a slight endurance boost, or needs help with focus, they're great.

"With great power comes great responsibility." -Uncle Ben
Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

I've actually considered purchasing this spirit in the past because like you...I am a predominately right-brainer and can very much be distracted by shiny objects.

I hesitated because I really don't have anything "too" dark in my collection and am waiting (maybe forever) before I am more capable of hearing my spirits before purchasing a DA spirit.

But thanks for the review and comments on the Catoblepas; I'll definitely keep him on my "one day" list.

danaos
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 9
Spelled Number: 7
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire and Children
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Danaos Augustus Ravenheart
Zodiac:

Na"rayah this sounds like a perfect fit for you Luv. I know sometimes when my energy is low that my focus is off too.

Do let us know how it works out for you.

Bless be

I am what I am. I am ever changing, ever growing.

The more I learn, the more I realize I do not know,
Ghostly Decibels
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fallen angels
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fallen angel
My magical/paranormal name...: Azura Rose Jet
Zodiac:

I've eyed these guys for months. I like their ability to knock out obstacles (if I vaguely remember reading this) and think they would be really helpful to my career situation. I've hesitated because their energy sounds a bit too heavy for me and I consider myself new to spirit-keeping and given my sensitivities, I'm tiptoeing slowly into DA.

-arianna-
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampires
Zodiac:

I'm considering getting one (not sure if I'll get one now, waiting to see how strongly I feel called). I tend to work on 10 different ideas or projects simultaneously and I think a catoblepas would be a spirit that could really help me focus on my art the way I should. In the shop it says: "They are capable of stopping events from happening and often do when it is in their Keeper's best interest". I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experiences on that to share.

Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!

Zelda
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: changes day to day
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

I've got one coming. I don't know how I overlooked them, but maybe it wasn't the right time before. I've had a strong calling for a lot of DA spirits lately. I'm looking forward to working with him.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. ~Cicero
Aeryn K Angel
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 50
Spelled Number: 50
Your favorite spirit to work with: Elves
If I could be anything, I would be...: Elf,Faery
My magical/paranormal name...: Aeryn
Zodiac:

I've been drawn to the listing of the Catoblepas for some time now. Saturday, I finally put in my order... along with a basilisk that has been hanging around for a while... (and a special request for a human spirit that I choose not to mention at the moment).

I am ME.... and that is that!

Below is a picture of my pride & joy... Miss Kasha.
3graveyardvultures
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Your favorite spirit to work with: ALL
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My magical/paranormal name...: no name

Hi everyone :wave: I have a Catoblepas , he is one of my most helpful campions , he does an extremely good job to help me focus and complete work I have for the day. Also Mine is not dark at all , there maybe some that are... But he is not . They are a great spirit for those who are on deadlines or may get side tracked.I highly enjoy mine .

We must let go of the life we have planned,
so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
Joseph Campbell

Image*Image*
Image*Image*Image
3graveyardvultures
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Your favorite spirit to work with: ALL
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My magical/paranormal name...: no name

Na'rayah Earth wrote:
3graveyardvultures wrote:Hi everyone :wave: I have a Catoblepas , he is one of my most helpful campions , he does an extremely good job to help me focus and complete work I have for the day. Also Mine is not dark at all , there maybe some that are... But he is not . They are a great spirit for those who are on deadlines or may get side tracked.I highly enjoy mine .
I'm very curious now! If I may ask GYV, is yours from CH and did you ask for a "lighter" Catoblepas in nature? This I may consider then :D
Hi the one I have is very light in nature, I would go as far to say one of the most light natured DA I have in my keep. His energy has never been heavy or overbearing . Yes he is from CH , he is a preconjured though. :D

We must let go of the life we have planned,
so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
Joseph Campbell

Image*Image*
Image*Image*Image
Farrell
venerated member
venerated member

Hm, I had never heard of these guys. They sound fascinating and very focused. I hope the bumping of this thread leads to more reports from people who have them. I'm linking the encyclopedia article for those like me who hadn't heard of them before: http://encyclopedia.creepyhollows.com/a ... lepas.html

"al-ghuroor yantaqis al-Hikmah."
~8>X

Return to “Dark Arts A-H”