The Amityville Horror

Which legends thrill you? Make you wonder? Shaped your beliefs? We'd love to know!
SEER777
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 32
Your favorite spirit to work with: WA/DA
If I could be anything, I would be...: A beloved pet
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Seer
Zodiac:

While I am sure nearly all of you have either seen the movies or heard the story, I stumbled across this picture that is very interesting. I think the picture of the ghost and the picture of the murdered child look very similar. Tell me what you think.

The origin of this terrifying picture is under some dispute, but the general consensus is that it is a photo taken during an investigation into the hauntings in Amityville New York. When the photos were studied someone noticed a little boy peeking around a staircase railing.

The little boy is believed to be the ghost of the younger of the DeFeo boys who had been murdered in the house by their own brother who claimed to be possessed by an evil spirit.

The first time that picture was shown was on the Merv Griffin show back in 1979. It was discovered 3 years after it was taken. Gene Campbell, who was a professional photographer, was brought into the house in 1976 when the Warrens went in with their team. He set up an automatic camera on the 2nd floor landing that shot off infrared film, black and white, throughout the night. There are literally rolls of film with nothing on them. There's only one picture of the little boy. In 1979, I was putting together a book that has yet to be published that included the photographs. The secretary I had at the time was about eight months pregnant. We had dozens of these pictures to choose from that didn't have the boy, and she asked me: "Which one should we put in the book?" I told her to just pick one. She came running back into my office about 5 minutes later saying that every time she picked up the photograph with the boy, the baby kicked her. We then asked my kids if they knew who this was. Missy said it was the little boy she used to play with in the house. I then called the Warrens and the photographer and let them know about the picture."

The home was purchased by the Lutz family who fled 29 days later after a horrific haunting that was eventually retold in the movie The Amityville Horror. George Lutz passed away in 2006.

The chilling story allegedly began Dec. 18, 1975, when Lutz, his new bride Kathleen and her three kids moved into a suspiciously cheap ($80,000 for 4,000 square feet) waterside Dutch Colonial house in Amityville on the southern shore of Long Island. Twenty-eight days later, they feld in terror.

As it turned out, six members of the family who used to live there, the DeFeos, had been shot to death in various rooms of the house about a year earlier. The family's eldest son, 23-year-old Ronald DeFeo, was later convicted of the murders of his parents and four siblings and sentenced to life in prison. He mounted an insanity defense, claiming an evil presence in the house told him to off his family, but a jury ruled he knew what he had done was a bit on the horribly wrong side.

According to George and Kathy's retelling of what happened during the four weeks they lived at 112 Ocean Ave., these are some of the events that spurred them to get the hell out of there:

* George would mysteriously wake up at 3:15 a.m. every night, which turned out to be the approximate time of the DeFeo murders.

* Their youngest daughter, Missy, started playing with an imaginary friend named Jodie, the name of the littlest DeFeo killed that night (represented as a really freaky pig in the 1979 film The Amityville Horror).

* The priest whom they called upon to bless the house after learning about its past claimed to hear an ungodly voice telling him to "get out."

* Windows and doors slammed and unlocked themselves.

And if you can live with all that, here's the kicker: Green slime supposedly dripped from the walls and ceiling.

The creepy travails of the Lutz family inspired a hit film in 1979 starring James Brolin and Margot Kidder as the unlucky newlyweds. A lesser Amityville Horror with Ryan Reynolds came out in 2005. The remake only scared up about $65 million at the box office, compared to the original version's $86.4 million.

The real-life couple penned their own account of the tale in 1977 and The Amityville Horror: A True Story by Jay Anson followed a year later.

Lutz became a cult figure in his own right, attracting both the believers and the skeptics in droves. He has been accused of intentionally moving into the Ocean Avenue house to profit from the DeFeo murders. Lutz actually sued MGM last year, angry about the remake's depiction of what supposedly happened during those 28 days. (I.e. he never tried to mutilate his loved ones in real life). However, in an interview last year, he said he has only made about $300,000 off of the entire affair.

"People are disrespecting a true story," he told People. "It's my family's story and it's hurtful."

Kathy Lutz died in 2004 of emphysema while the second Amityville Horror was in production. She and George divorced in the late 1980s but remained close until her death at 57. George Lutz passed away in 2006.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -Seneca

"Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body." ~Seneca
p’yunik~*~chovexani
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Grigori and Phoenix
If I could be anything, I would be...: I like being human!
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: p’yunik~*~chovexani
Zodiac:

I have never seen this photo in question. It did however give me a bit of a jolt when I saw it, my eyes teared up as they usually do when I view something paranormal or am around paranormal energy.

As far as the actual murders and story go, I can believe that the son was INFLUENCED by an evil spirit, but unless he was actually possessed, he had the choice to do it or not. Some people I suppose are stronger than others. This past week I was part of a real live exorcism of a child, it was much different than how the movies portray it and I can see how not just anyone can do it. It's a test of wills. If one doesn't have a strong will or is lost, I can see how easily a spirit can take over. But this does not excuse a person's actions at all. I want to clarify that.

When I do watch documentaries on this house, I do feel the spirits of the family in the home, I get a lost feeling from them, I don't know if souls can be tormented after death but I believe if they are not being tormented, that something keeps them in that home.

Anyway, that is just my two cents :)

~*PHOENIXGUIDE*~
KANUKA PEPPER SELENITE
The Phoenix wings her way through desert skies, defying Fortune's spite, revives from ashes and rise-Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Ուր եք գնում, կարող եք հետեւել Աստծո լույսի ներքո :phoenix:
You share 50% of your DNA with a banana. Get over yourself.
spirits aren't pets...they don't come when called
freya
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: no faves
If I could be anything, I would be...: fairy or elf
My magical/paranormal name...: freya
Zodiac:

I don't know if the story or the pic are true...I just don't want to live next door lol.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak. ~Author Unknown

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. ~Abraham Lincoln
Untaimed
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 100
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them....
Zodiac:

I remember reading the book when I was younger & having to sleep with the lights on for a week straight. I thought that since I'd seen the original movie that it wouldn't be very scary. Yep, not the case, lol.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, remains and is immortal. -Albert Pine.
SEER777
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Do you think the ghost boy pic looks the same as the boy who was murdered pic? To me they look exactly alike except maybe that the picture taken of the murdered boy seems to be taken at least 6 months before his death. Can't quite wrap my head around why the eyes would be glowing. :think:

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -Seneca

freya
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Ok...dummy me...can anyone else see the face in the third space from the left, in between the stair poles? Is that his nightshirt or whatever?

Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak. ~Author Unknown

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. ~Abraham Lincoln
SEER777
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Yes, I saw that as well. I was going to wait to see if anyone else saw it.

freya
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

The eyes and the stair supports glow so maybe it's a trick of light?

p’yunik~*~chovexani
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Grigori and Phoenix
If I could be anything, I would be...: I like being human!
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: p’yunik~*~chovexani
Zodiac:

So wait....the picture was taken BEFORE his death?? They look almost exactly the same... Wow, this throws me for a loop. Does anyone else see something/someone standing behind the boy? I see another face beside the boy, maybe his younger sister?

~*PHOENIXGUIDE*~
KANUKA PEPPER SELENITE
The Phoenix wings her way through desert skies, defying Fortune's spite, revives from ashes and rise-Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Ուր եք գնում, կարող եք հետեւել Աստծո լույսի ներքո :phoenix:
You share 50% of your DNA with a banana. Get over yourself.
spirits aren't pets...they don't come when called
SEER777
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

freya wrote:The eyes and the stair supports glow so maybe it's a trick of light?
Well, human eyes do not glow under any circumstances that I am aware of. And, he does look an awful lot alike the murdered child.

Return to “Folklore & Legends”