Princess:LadyRedStar
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
If I could be anything, I would be...: None-fine as I am
My magical/paranormal name...: Lady Red Star
Zodiac:

We are always being told that one of the first things we should learn is how to protect ourselves. However, there is very little offered as to suggested ways other than getting this spirit or that to protect us.

We need to know how to protect ourselves otherwise as well.

So, I thought we could use a thread where everyone can offer suggestions as to how they protect themselves. Other than with spirits/entities that is.

Brightest Blessings

Remember the ancient ways...they hold the key to the power within[/color][/list]
Wiccan Warrior Alex
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Black Dragon/wraith
If I could be anything, I would be...: Wraith
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Given to a few close friends
Zodiac:

Funny you should mention this, because I was just reading Maythen's post in an unrelated thread, and she had some
really good exercises and applications for basic protection skills one should study.

Full credit for this post goes to Maythen21:

Maythen21 wrote:I come from a family line of Keepers and, although I am now solitary, I have practiced in a group both as learner and teacher. I’m not quite sure where you are in your progress, so I’m going to start out with what I was taught as the basics. Techniques can be found in the CreepyHollows Encyclopedia as well as most basic primers on magic. I can also give you a brief outline on my preferred methods should you have questions. I come from a line that emphasized self reliance above the use of spirits or spelled items and frowned upon the practice of employing others to work your magic for you (so if your views and desires differ keep that in mind).

#1 Learn to ground and center.
There are as many ways to do this as there are people doing it. I was trained in a 4 elements type practice, which means I was expected to learn how to center myself using them singularly and in combination. Most people find that an earth based (I am a tree) type meditation works best for them. However I find a Fire based exercise to be pleasurable and stimulating. I also enjoy a water based meditation particularly suitable for cleansing and relaxing purposes. Practice this on At Least a daily basis. Really really. The effort and concentration you put forth is going to directly effect your progress. When you feel you have mastered the technique start varying the external factors. Once it’s easy to do at home in a quiet comfortable space, try doing it on public transport, like a crowded bus, commuter train, or subway. Have a friend throw energy at you while you try to concentrate and maintain your composure. Ground and center in a busy shopping center while a toddler is having a screaming tantrum, while in line at the DMV, or trapped in an elevator with your most annoying co-worker and his/her ten gallons of perfume/cologne.

#2 Learn to shield yourself.
Again, there are many techniques, and each person will find their own preferred. Learn to do it yourself, maintain it yourself, and keep it up in even the most distracting or abusive environments. Pay special attention to your back, the top of your head, the bottoms of your feet, and your hands as these are all spots that tend to be neglected, particularly when you are just learning. Once you get the hang of it, have a friend ambush you with energy bolts, darts, or balls. (this can be great fun at a public park) Learn how to modify and filter. Remember; a shield is only as good as that which you can maintain alone under duress.

#3 Learn to clean and maintain your own aura/energy/astral bodies.
I bless my shower head at least every three months. It isn’t sufficient to serve all your needs, but it’s an easy way to get passive assistance. Make psychic cleansing and maintenance a priority. If you are exposed to particularly nasty energy (prison, high school, customer service jobs, health care, etc) then this needs to be a priority.

These are the foundation for a healthy and balanced practice. Whether you decide to focus on divination, mediumship, conjuration, herbalism, or any of the many avenues you may choose, making these a daily habit will serve you well. Authors I have found particularly helpful and practical include Scott Cunningham (#1), Starhawk (some struggle with her political stance), and Raymond Buckland (I just ignore his obvious sexual bias and penchant for bondage). Although I am not a fan of all her work, Silver Ravenwolf’s book Mindlight is a fairly decent text for basic energy manipulation and visualization.
I suggest you stay away from DJ Conway, despite the lure of exciting titles. Cross examination of the authors work will reveal some glaring inaccuracies. For example; in her books on Celtic and Norse magic you will discover large passages that are identical, with only the names changed.

ImageIf everyone cared and nobody cried,
If everyone loved and nobody lied,
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.
Nickleback
gwae
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 16
Spelled Number: 0
My magical/paranormal name...: Shamuramat
Zodiac:

I did read Maythen's great post and took notes. However, I am soooooooo new to all of this and I do want to learn the very basics so my question is how???
How do I form this shield? I know now to pay attention and practice but how do I form it in the first place?
I am very new. I spent 37 years being told I'm crazy by family who looks on Science as the only way so I don't know any basics at all. I did understand the tree root thing so now I need to know this :)
I do anticipate going slowly but I'm not around anyone that can teach me although I will be starting with Grey's school next month.
I know a lot of the basics are old hat to those who come from a family background but for someone like me I am like a newborn.

Thank you all for wanting to teach us!!!

DarkAddictions
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: in the learning process
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Alex, I am glad you posted these suggestions in short paragraphs..I just bought abook this month by Richard Webster on Psychic Protection..Some of it was information I didnt need but I did find some great explanations as to "why I have to do certain things" and found a few, "How to's"..Unfortunately I got this book thru my Kindle and its a pain to read or refer back to the examples or exercises..I will be buying these books at a bookstore so I can refer to the exercises..Better yet, I will refer to your exercises here..Thanks a million :grouphug:

Alycat79
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 0

I tend to visualize a bubble around me that shifts between purple and pink light in an effort to change negative emotions that get aimed at me and make them positive. This bubble extends a few inches from me so that I'm sure that my head, hands and feet are covered and it's flexible in my mind and shifts as I move to keep me protected. To test the shield I visualize things hitting it and being repelled, though I honestly can't say how effect the shield is because no one here is knowledgeable enough to throw things at me. *sigh* I do know that I feel better when I'm in the office when I remember to ground and shield. ^^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Final stanza of the poem Invictus by William Earnest Henley

You have no power over me. - Sarah Williams from Labyrinth

The truly powerful never feel the need to brag about it. - Me

Princess:LadyRedStar
venerated member
venerated member
If I could be anything, I would be...: None-fine as I am
My magical/paranormal name...: Lady Red Star
Zodiac:

Yes, Alex, I read Maythen21's post and that thread. That is one thing that prompted me to start this one. Like so many opthers it says to do this but doesn't say "HOW" to go about doing it.

Alycat has the right idea.

Brightest Blessings

Remember the ancient ways...they hold the key to the power within[/color][/list]
Maythen21
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 30
Zodiac:

The simplest easiest shield I know

SHIELD #1, THE WARM FUZZY -
This is for the Profoundly Limp Noodle to use, as all it requires is that you're still breathing
Erect this shield with slow deep breaths, in through your nose and out through your mouth. If you struggle to slow your breath then purse your lips like a fish.
That said, as you inhale imagine energy and strength pouring into
your body with the air. As you exhale, imagine your expelled
breath as a golden mist. As you continue to breath in and out
visualize this mist becoming a warm, protective sphere around you,
growing larger with each exhalation.

Allow the golden breath to swirl and expand into an egg or sphere shape, encompassing your entire body including your back, head, and feet (the spots most often neglected)

This is the shield I use with the very new, the very weak, or when my energy is extremly low. I've also found it works nicely when you are exposed to someone slavering to convert you. They think you are calmly listening while you are tuning them out.

gwae
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 16
My magical/paranormal name...: Shamuramat
Zodiac:

Maythen21 wrote:
This is for the Profoundly Limp Noodle to use, as all it requires is that you're still breathing

This is the shield I use with the very new, the very weak,
::rofl::
That's me!
I am in the habit of breathing so this is perfect.

Zin
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 50
Spelled Number: 50
Your favorite spirit to work with: Duojna, Black Dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: too many options! :o
Zodiac:

ciaryn wrote:I did read Maythen's great post and took notes. However, I am soooooooo new to all of this and I do want to learn the very basics so my question is how???
How do I form this shield? I know now to pay attention and practice but how do I form it in the first place?
I am very new. I spent 37 years being told I'm crazy by family who looks on Science as the only way so I don't know any basics at all. I did understand the tree root thing so now I need to know this :)
I do anticipate going slowly but I'm not around anyone that can teach me although I will be starting with Grey's school next month.
I know a lot of the basics are old hat to those who come from a family background but for someone like me I am like a newborn.

Thank you all for wanting to teach us!!!
This is something I'm good at! :D I've recently figured out how to put shields up around close friends of mine, even if they're a few states away, so I can probably help give a little more information here, too.

I took some of my starting information (at least so far as 'types' of shields I keep in my arsenal) from psipog.net, which has a fair amount of delicious info on fiddling with energy.

You may want to repeat what you want each shield to do each time you refresh it (I haven't been repeating because I can't recall everything I programmed into each layer, at the moment, lol) but here's the technique I use...

I'm normally pretty bad about visualizing, but it's key to this-if you can get a grasp and feel of energies, it'll be just that much more of a bonus here, too, and if you have a friend who can check energies, they can confirm if your shield went up successfully or not.

First, chill out, get to a place where you can just get everything wrapped around your head, if you know what I mean, then visualize yourself-maybe in the same place, maybe just in front of your mental eye, whatever makes it easier. You can just visualize over your usual body, as well, but I still keep feeling like I set my shields a little shallow on my backside when I don't use a proper visual.

I'll walk through a few sample shields, here, ones I've toyed with once in awhile and am currently working on adding to my repertoire, though, since it's a public forum, I probably won't touch on most or any of my personal layers. I'll figure out if I will as I write, haha.

So, there are two specific shields I have in mind that I've been working on-both ones I've been placing remotely, though the first hasn't been quite showing up as the visual I had planned...

When I build the first, I imagine a web of glowing strings of light wrapping around the person I'm shielding, moving quickly, layer by layer wrapping around, until there's a web of glowing strings of white light wrapped around, all the while willing them to act as protection-and to conceal the recipient from negative energies, individuals, etc. (a personal variation on the intent of Psipog's 'cloaking' shield.)

A second one is that I visualize huge, feathery wings and a tail emerging, and then wrapping up tight around the body in a bit of a bubble shape to form a feathery shield against outside attacks. It;s kind of cute, but not sure it's a very good one, yet, as I haven't had much practice with it.

I tend to play with a mix of offense and defense, in my shields, because, really...if you can pour the energy in and make it so you have something that can act back, it can be helpful, too-an example being a shield with retractable spikes I walked a friend through making, and which later jabbed me in the foot when we were playfighting! :scared: haha

Hope I was able to add a little more help and knowledge, here~ <3 Z

I walk a path I cannot see, but it's the one that's meant for me. <3
There are Powerlines in our Bloodlines
Proud to have many Giants in my Bloodline.
Seeker of Knowledge.
Gleok
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angel?
If I could be anything, I would be...: White light/not sure
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Does anyone know how to find this?

I'm with Ciaryn! What is Grey's School?! I tried the University link on CH and it doesn't work :( I've been trying to figure this out on my own for decades! This coming along with 'your crazy' stares, when I would try to order something from a local store. Unfortunately, I'm an auditory learner, and hence NEEEED a teacher :pray:

Every sinner was once a saint.

Everyone has a story, if we take the time to listen.

Once upon a time we were moonshine -Ani

I'm still the angel to a girl who hates to sin. -Tori

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
- Albert Einstein

A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes. The stars, the moon they have all been blown out. So I stayed in the darkness with you. -Florence + the Machine

Return to “Protection”