The Transsexual Priestesses of Summeria

Background and historical information on specific human spirits.
p’yunik~*~chovexani
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Grigori and Phoenix
If I could be anything, I would be...: I like being human!
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: p’yunik~*~chovexani
Zodiac:

I have been visited by a human spirit as of late, what puzzled me is that this spirit looked very female, but under the feminine energy, there was a hint of buried masculinity that I could not figure out. The spirit was dressed in an ancient garb, and looked to be of a middle eastern or northern Africa race. Upon talking she made references to Sumeria and "Gala" so I looked it up and did some preliminary research.
I find this to be very interesting and well, it's peaked my curiosity to learn more about these clergies.

This is an excerpt from an article I was reading, I find it fascinating:
Yet another interesting similarity concerns the existence of transsexual Priestesses within the Sumerian clergy. We find several types mentioned in very early primary sources. The Gala Priestesses apparently petitioned the gods through singing, dancing, and various incantations. The Kurgarra and the Assinnu Priestesses were associated with the goddess Inanna. Their role is not completely clear, although they sometimes acted as surrogates for the goddess during sexually-oriented religious practices.

Although born male, these types of Priestesses lived as women, adopted female names, and spoke the sacred feminine dialect of Emesal. Their existence is traceable to pre-Kurgan times, circa 5000 BCE or earlier. While modern historians struggle to explain their significance, it seems clear that they could not have attained the privileged and honored position they did, without having some genuine spiritual and metaphysical gifts.
I don't know much about this spirit yet, but I am looking forward to working with her and unlocking some secrets perhaps. Can anyone else give me more insight? Perhaps why it was their choice to live as females? Was there some kind of significance with it?

~*PHOENIXGUIDE*~
KANUKA PEPPER SELENITE
The Phoenix wings her way through desert skies, defying Fortune's spite, revives from ashes and rise-Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Ուր եք գնում, կարող եք հետեւել Աստծո լույսի ներքո :phoenix:
You share 50% of your DNA with a banana. Get over yourself.
spirits aren't pets...they don't come when called
The Flying Dutchman
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 4
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Maybe in their culture females were thought to have better metaphysical ability than males? And they could achieve a better balance of female and male energies as transexuals than biological girls?
Just guessing.. Found this topic fascinating too so I'm gonna give it a ::bump::

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
p’yunik~*~chovexani
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Maybe in their culture females were thought to have better metaphysical ability than males? And they could achieve a better balance of female and male energies as transexuals than biological girls?
Just guessing.. Found this topic fascinating too so I'm gonna give it a ::bump::
Hmm I didn't think of that, but that could be it! Thanks for the bump, hoping more will contribute as well!

~*PHOENIXGUIDE*~
KANUKA PEPPER SELENITE
The Phoenix wings her way through desert skies, defying Fortune's spite, revives from ashes and rise-Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
p’yunik~*~chovexani
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

::bump:: ::Anyone::

~*PHOENIXGUIDE*~
KANUKA PEPPER SELENITE
Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

This is an interesting topic and it would be cool to see some more discussion and knowledgeable contributions/opinions here.

Caiyros - seems like you might have some interesting insights on the subject.

p’yunik~*~chovexani
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

NoctemAeternus wrote:This is an interesting topic and it would be cool to see some more discussion and knowledgeable contributions/opinions here.

Caiyros - seems like you might have some interesting insights on the subject.
Thanks for the bump noctem. I have gotten a little more info on the spirit here since talking with her. They believed embodying the goddess entirely (and becoming the sex of that goddess) was something that was very important. They were both her consort and her herself.

~*PHOENIXGUIDE*~
KANUKA PEPPER SELENITE
brotony101
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Zodiac:

Would love to see more on these priestesses, thus a brand new ::bump::

Blissed Be,
~Tony

Companion, friend & student to many spirits & entities: Djinn, Vampire, Dragon, Creature, Immortal, Alien, and Human (Historical & Giants). Creepy Hollows RULES!
p’yunik~*~chovexani
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

More of what I have:
How common were transsexual and intersexual priestesses in the ancient world? Almost every form of the Goddess was associated with them. Inanna, also called Ishtar, had Her Assinnu. The Assinnu were the hierodule priestesses of Inanna whose change was performed by crushing the testicles between two rocks in the earliest references. Inanna also had transgendered priests who did not do this and who wore clothing that was female on one side and male on the other called the Kurgarru. They were two distinct groups. Becoming an Assinnu was a mes, a call from the Goddess. This mes is a common thread among all transsexual and intersexual priestesses. It was recognized that transforming one's life and body was not a choice but a destiny, the call usually in the form of dreams of Inanna when young. We have several different accounts of Inanna's decent to the underworld and rescue from Her sister, Ereshkigal. In one, Asushunamir (She whose face is Light), the first Assinnu, was created to save Inanna. In another version, two beings, the first Kurgarru and Kalaturru, neither males nor females, are created by Enki from the dirt under his fingernails for the mission. As hierodules, the Assinnu were seen as mortal representatives of Inanna and sex with Assinnu was congress with the Goddess Herself. As magicians, their amulets and talismans were the most powerful of magick to protect the wearer from harm, even just touching the head of an Assinnu was believed to bestow on a warrior the power to conquer his enemies. As ritual artists they played the lyre, cymbals, 2 string lutes and flutes and composed hymns and lamentations all in Emesal, the women's language, said to be a direct gift of Inanna, as opposed to the common language of men, Eme-ku.
this from:
http://gallae.com/His2.html

~*PHOENIXGUIDE*~
KANUKA PEPPER SELENITE
Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

I don't know much about this but i did a little research and i found this.
One of the earliest recorded communities of transgender individuals is that of the Gala, the third-gender priestesses serving the goddess Inanna of Babylonia during the 8th century BC. The goddess Inanna herself was a symbol of gender deviance, and was often portrayed as androgynous. She was simultaneously the hyperfeminine goddess of sexuality and a hypermasculine god of war. For this reason, the worship of Inanna often incorporated transgender elements (Harris 82). The temple practices of Inanna were highly complex; there were a number of different types of Gala, each of which served a different function in the rites of their goddess. One type of Gala priestess was the Kurgarru, a biological male who wore a robe that was feminine on one side and masculine on the other. The Kurgarru were highly esteemed in Babylonia; in one story of Inanna, the genderless Kurgarru were created in order to save Inanna from the Underworld. However, even more prestigious were the Assinnu, or the transsexual priestesses of Inanna. The Assinnu underwent ritual castration as part of a mes, or a divine calling of the goddess. The Assinnu were believed to have been imbued with great powers of protection and fortune. Warriors of Ancient Mesopotamia would touch the head of an Assinnu before battle, believing just this brief contact would spare them from danger. However, the most important role of the Assinnu was that of a hierodule, or sacred prostitute. The Assinnu were believed to be the physical incarnation of the goddess Inanna, and by sleeping with an Assinnu a follower of Inanna was essentially coupling with the Goddess herself (Platine 2). Not much is known of the Gala in ancient Babylonia; however, it is evident that the transgender priestesses of Inanna held a lofty position in the spiritual institutions of Mesopotamia.
From http://www.transgender.org/atsww/Transg ... ranean.htm

There are also some citations at the bottom of the essay, so there might be some follow-up books there you could look up on Inanna-Ishtar.
Does any of this help?

Was it Inanna that the Gala priestess that you have with you worshipped?

Do you know what kind of gala priestess you have with you? Is it the Kurgarru?

Formerly known as WhimsicalSage/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
p’yunik~*~chovexani
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

I did read that site, thanks, jumbo :)
I am finding out lots of interesting stuff with her help. How great was the ancient world???

~*PHOENIXGUIDE*~
KANUKA PEPPER SELENITE

Return to “Human Spirit Bios”