venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

I know Noc isn't here but i wonder whether someone knows the answer to this question?

What kind of situations is invocation most appropriate and what kind of situations is evocation most appropriate?

Formerly known as WhimsicalSage/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

The best answer, is not a definintion, nor a specific way of making judgements. It is better the really follow the idea of "Know Thyself" well, and operate on instinct rather than forumula.

Caiyros

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Caiyros Neptunias 1 wrote:The best answer, is not a definintion, nor a specific way of making judgements. It is better the really follow the idea of "Know Thyself" well, and operate on instinct rather than forumula.

Caiyros
So are you trying to say there is no set pattern for which is appropriate but rather to just follow a kind of gut instinct or whatever suits the individuals ability to know what suits them best?

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Everyone
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself.
My magical/paranormal name...: KITTY!!!!!!!!
Zodiac:

WhimsicalSage wrote:I know Noc isn't here but i wonder whether someone knows the answer to this question?

What kind of situations is invocation most appropriate and what kind of situations is evocation most appropriate?
Invocation is typically done by priests and priestesses of deities. Evocation is done to invite entities, spirits, intelligences, or elementals into an area for the purpose of working with those energies.

This essentially means that evocation is used far more often than invocation. Invocation would be used typically only when you wished to experience union with your divine as a gesture of devotion and closeness - it's generally done as an offering, as a blessing for those you are a priest for - such as when a mambo would take a lwa into themselves and then perform acts of divination or healing for their tribe, or a priestess would take their goddess into themselves for their coven, and offer the same blessings and other magical services to their covenmates.

Evocation can be done by any practitioner - you call the elementals to your circle to aid you in your magickal rites. You evoke your gods and goddesses. You evoke demons and angels and other intelligences of the planets and stars. You work with them, talk with them, learn from them, form alliances with them, bargain with them, trade with them, create relationships with them, befriend them, make offerings to them, share energies with them, and in exchange, they offer their energies to your rites and to your aims, your goals, and make your magick richer and more profound. From the everyday to the Great Work, from the alchemy of the soul to getting a better phone, evocation is used.

Invocation is better suited for devotional work. You can even go so far as to invoke yourself. When you're ready.

"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

MagickFromtheMysts wrote:
WhimsicalSage wrote:I know Noc isn't here but i wonder whether someone knows the answer to this question?

Invocation is typically done by priests and priestesses of deities. Evocation is done to invite entities, spirits, intelligences, or elementals into an area for the purpose of working with those energies.

This essentially means that evocation is used far more often than invocation. Invocation would be used typically only when you wished to experience union with your divine as a gesture of devotion and closeness - it's generally done as an offering, as a blessing for those you are a priest for - such as when a mambo would take a lwa into themselves and then perform acts of divination or healing for their tribe, or a priestess would take their goddess into themselves for their coven, and offer the same blessings and other magical services to their covenmates.

Evocation can be done by any practitioner - you call the elementals to your circle to aid you in your magickal rites. You evoke your gods and goddesses. You evoke demons and angels and other intelligences of the planets and stars. You work with them, talk with them, learn from them, form alliances with them, bargain with them, trade with them, create relationships with them, befriend them, make offerings to them, share energies with them, and in exchange, they offer their energies to your rites and to your aims, your goals, and make your magick richer and more profound. From the everyday to the Great Work, from the alchemy of the soul to getting a better phone, evocation is used.
Thankyou for that indepth information.
Invocation is better suited for devotional work. You can even go so far as to invoke yourself. When you're ready
What does that last part mean?

NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

WhimsicalSage wrote:Thankyou for that indepth information.
You're quite welcome.
MagickFromtheMysts wrote:Invocation is better suited for devotional work. You can even go so far as to invoke yourself. When you're ready.
WhimsicalSage wrote:What does that last part mean?
What I mean is that you are part of the Source of All Things - the Great Divine, the All That Is - which means that you, yourself, are Divine... and there will come a point in your journey through the Great Work where you will be ready to Invoke Yourself - and accept your own Divinity into yourself.

This is, in fact, the goal of true Magick - the awakening of the Divine Within, and the becoming aware of the connectedness to the Divine Within All. Thou Art God.

"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Oh, i see. Thanks.

silensviator
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 11
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human with Spirits
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: I don't know yet
Zodiac:

Thank you for the information. It helps me out quite a bit.

"The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever will be born must destroy a world." -Hermann Hesse

Blessings,
Silens
NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

http://ananael.blogspot.ca/2014/09/no-y ... perly.html

Another take on the argument about the definitions for invocation and evocation.

It's important to note that invocation and evocation actually both have two definitions - Noc is correct in that invocation is to invite within, and evocation is to invite without - but invocation and evocation are also ritual directions - an invocation is a phrase, a prayer. An evocation is also a ritual or prayer, but more formal. Only, in this form, you can see that the words mean exactly the same thing.

And you can also see that in both forms... people can swap the terms about in various traditions, and go along quite happily, and never have an issue with using the word evocation to mean invocation or the word invocation to mean evocation, and have nary an issue.

Here follows the argument. As to why I'm re-quoting here rather than just leaving the link above up? Well, sometimes these blogs vanish, and I'd rather the information not go missing, as I think that both sides of the debate should be represented. It's important that you understand the meanings of the words, but it's also important that you understand that, in the end, they are only words... and it's more important that you understand WHAT YOU ARE DOING... and that words don't matter so much as controlled actions do. Just my 2cents
No, You're Not Using "Invocation" Improperly

I came across a discussion recently on a Facebook forum in which a commenter was chided for using the term "invocation" improperly. The commenter had used the term just like I and most other ceremonialists I know use it, to refer to the calling up of a spirit into one's field of consciousness, and this was deemed wrong because "invocation" means "prayer or supplication."

I don't know if this is a meme that certain magicians have recently started throwing around, but in case it is I'm going to head it off right here. Invocation can mean "prayer or supplication," but like most English words it has more than one definition. From the dictionary.com listing:

1. the act of invoking or calling upon a deity, spirit, etc., for aid, protection, inspiration, or the like; supplication.

2. any petitioning or supplication for help or aid.

3. a form of prayer invoking God's presence, especially one said at the beginning of a religious service or public ceremony.

4. an entreaty for aid and guidance from a Muse, deity, etc., at the beginning of an epic or epiclike poem.

5. the act of calling upon a spirit by incantation.

6. the magic formula used to conjure up a spirit; incantation.

7. the act of calling upon or referring to something, as a concept or document, for support and justification in a particular circumstance.

So definition #5, "the act of calling upon a spirit by incantation," and #6, "the magic formula used to conjure up a spirit; incantation" both refer to calling upon and/or conjuring up spirits. And anyway, I really don't see the point of being overly dictionary-pedantic about the word as a technical magical term. "Invocation" has been used this way by magicians for more than a century, dating back to Aleister Crowley's works and before that the original Golden Dawn schema.

After all, when magicians use terms like "energy" - ala "energy work" - we're not talking about the physics definition of the term. There are a whole lot of other similar examples as well, and the entire reason that the dichotomy between "invocation" and "evocation" exists in ceremonial magick is that it's useful to be able to distinguish between summoning a spirit into a containment structure like a triangle and summoning a spirit into your field of consciousness.

I suppose we could make up new nonsense terms that would let us distinguish between the two methods and appease the pedants, but why bother? "Invocation" and "evocation" already work fine, especially as terminology that most ceremonial magicians understand. And as I see it, that's the entire point of language - to communicate with others precisely and efficiently. Anything else is just pointless posturing.

Return to “Educational Material”