You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 2000
Spelled Number: 14
Your favorite spirit to work with: Monsters
If I could be anything, I would be...: kitsune
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Kit
Zodiac:

Well then i just ran across this from the total custom conjure lisiting in the dropping box filled with all the different spirits.
I have done a search here on the forum and nothing specific has come up for them, I do have some general information that probably should only be taken lightly but i will present it here also just so that nobody gets this confused with any other entity that may be spelled out close to Shikigami.

http://eos.kokugakuin.ac.jp/modules/xwo ... ntryID=198
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikigami

It appears that these could be classed as say, a tiny formed powerhouse, as the term Oni has shown up - but also within this is that these are more in respect as familiars (just as we have familiars here that show as cats, gargoyles, dogs, ravens etc.) These Shikigami can show as say a Oni form that is a little more smaller by stature/energy form?
I appears that they are brought forth just as any other familiar - to help delve into mystic practices and to help with magick in ways that the Shikigami can.
Also it seems that the formation of Shikigami, are just the same as yokai....so what is the difference? This is where i think i lose a bit of an understanding to shikigami but i am thinking maybe in a way Shikigami are yokai - but in representation of/as a familiar so there form takes that of the many facets of their keeper, where as a yokai that does not present as a shikigami has its own natural base form, and any form it takes pleasure in being seen as. (please correct me if i am wrong)
either way, I could see a Shikigami being useful to those in need of protection and maybe some mystic help.
Also maybe good for those who are looking at gaining helpers with mystic text if they can communicate well with them.
this may even be a spirit good for those that go ghost/spirit hunting on their own/with a team -as that way they have a spirit that only/may be viewable to just them!

I have run across though, the name Shikigami before for this type of spirit....
but i would still like to hear of experiences with one if anyone has any to share?
or shall this be a spirit that Kit delves into (a bit more later) and shares the information with everyone here???
:wizard:

LU.??MS
Chaos in a stream of ecstatic fire
Loose desire upon those who acclimate to stale order
No Karma perception - only truth of understanding and the faculties of being within a world abound in dimensional craft.
Right now we are following the dimensional craft of the world, please hold and we will get to your call shortly!
Endymion Ink
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: Moon Wisp
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Proud spiritual brother of Yllektmas
Zodiac:

If you do so...this would be different than your usual choices how?
Love that you are so adventurous and studious with your spirit selection.
Definitely an inspiration to us other keepers around these parts :)
Good luck! Keep us posted.

Endy

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Everything I write I have lived;
Everything I write is an implication
Of that which I have not..."
- P. M.

"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." - W. B. Yeats
fawn
new here
new here
You are...: a practitioner
Zodiac:

Your correct about them being a sort of familiar, but unless you practice Japanese witchcraft a shikigami won't be of much use to you. I used to have one, as I also used to practice this form of magic, it took the form of a crane - but it varies from spirit to spirit.

... a candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Kit
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

endymionfate wrote:If you do so...this would be different than your usual choices how?

this in itself is a little different - as even though i have yokai and Oni here, i do not use them actively (in the sense of always turning to them for information and magick help) where as a familiar i would know and come to understand their help in magick and text practice -they would participate in mystic acts.
Yokai can go off and be yokai - they dont take up with most of their keepers mystic acts (they can if they feel the need to) but they have their own way.
They can easily be seen as the same, BUT they are indeed set apart.
endymionfate wrote:Love that you are so adventurous and studious with your spirit selection.
Definitely an inspiration to us other keepers around these parts
Good luck! Keep us posted.

Once i get into something i cant help but at least obtain the minimum information on it so i can go about my way with dealing with the subject. I hope that with finding this information i can also maybe help others - as some people i think can grow and enjoy these spirits company as well -there certainly is similiaraties between many spirits, but there is usually a divide in wich spirit is turned to look forward to.
I will keep posted here if i do go ahead with maybe bringing in a shikigami - i think it would make for a nice addition but i would still like a little more information.
fawn wrote:Your correct about them being a sort of familiar, but unless you practice Japanese witchcraft a shikigami won't be of much use to you. I used to have one, as I also used to practice this form of magic, it took the form of a crane - but it varies from spirit to spirit.

Why would a Shikigami be of no use to someone who doesnt practice Japanese witchcraft? Couldnt the standard be that as a spirit they could assist in many other different forms of witchcraft? Does a shikigamis actions differ from that of say any other type of familiar? What in turn, kind of relationship is made with these shikigami? is it just one of say a practitioner to an assistant? Do shikigami usually take just one form for the keeper to only notice -or do they change forms according to actions being needed?

LU.??MS
No Karma perception - only truth of understanding and the faculties of being within a world abound in dimensional craft.
Right now we are following the dimensional craft of the world, please hold and we will get to your call shortly!
fawn
new here
new here
You are...: a practitioner
Zodiac:

caramellesweet wrote: Why would a Shikigami be of no use to someone who doesnt practice Japanese witchcraft? Couldnt the standard be that as a spirit they could assist in many other different forms of witchcraft? Does a shikigamis actions differ from that of say any other type of familiar? What in turn, kind of relationship is made with these shikigami? is it just one of say a practitioner to an assistant? Do shikigami usually take just one form for the keeper to only notice -or do they change forms according to actions being needed?
They might be, but the purpose for acquiring a familiar is for assistance in your magical work, so when choosing wouldn't it make more sense to go with one that actually aligns with the magic you practice? I get that you like to work with spirits of Japanese origin, I do too, but think about your reasons for choosing each spirit. Just collecting spirits because they are of a specific origin won't benefit neither you nor the spirits in the long run.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, I just needed to put that out there. 2cents
If you do decide to bringing in a shikigami, I can only wish you the best of luck :)

... a candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Kit
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

fawn wrote:They might be, but the purpose for acquiring a familiar is for assistance in your magical work, so when choosing wouldn't it make more sense to go with one that actually aligns with the magic you practice?

I get that entirely in my research on familiars, I do practice magick, but not in the direct sense of it being Japanese magick. Thats why i was just wondering if it had to be magick derived directly as being from Japanese origin.
I have used my familiar (cat living (but now deceased), and now cat spirit (of new keep but has been with me for a while)) as one to bring me more awareness of surroundings, bring about information to come to me when needed, and helping set up energy when needing to do magick work.
fawn wrote:I get that you like to work with spirits of Japanese origin, I do too, but think about your reasons for choosing each spirit. Just collecting spirits because they are of a specific origin won't benefit neither you nor the spirits in the long run.

Japanese spirits and me seem to fit very well, but in terms of me knowing entirely of a shikigami being only one to stem directly from Japanese origin was but minimal in the sense i had only ran across the name/title when also getting information from my Oni and looking at the customs tab bar. As for reasons behind why i would welcome a shikigami (if i see need to at the moment):
- Further magick practice (even if done on a long run basis)
- For further protection as it seems Shikigami were also brought forth as protectors (not just those in magick) but for those needing help in gaurding temples and villages
- To further knowledge as it seems that these shikigami come with great wisdom
- to learn about self as these shikigami come in representation of the facets of who they are with (as you say you had one as crane, do you see that maybe that reflected on you in any way?)
* also as any familiar some have them just for the companionship of spirtual gains and availability, opening the senses and being a great advisor if needed for that person that the shikigami/familiar is with
(please correct me if i am wrong)

~As for my own reasoning for sticking with yokai/Japanese spirits so far that should probably be given more in detail in another topic that i would gladly make another time~ (to note: i do have other spirits that are not of Japanese origin/folklore but right now the callings have been from Japanese spirits in part from other spirits of different origin say such as vampires, or werewolves)
fawn wrote: I don't mean to rain on your parade, I just needed to put that out there. 2cents
If you do decide to bringing in a shikigami, I can only wish you the best of luck :)

Oh! no you didnt, as thats why i made this topic :D i wanted to learn as even though i had some base knowledge about this spirit i didnt in turn know fully about it in the way of its actions or in what is its line of abilties to bring forth to the keeper.
As for bringing one in - we shall see where i go! i will keep updated here and i hope that you can see that i do indeed keep with my research (if my blog was open to public on the forum you could probably see that i do indeed set myself with knowledge before i bring any yokai (of japanses origin -other culture/ any spirit in really :D )

and thanks for keeping up with my questions - i hope if you do have any more to share on this that you do so!
:D :kistune:

LU.??MS
hanabushi
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 26
Your favorite spirit to work with: Undecided!
If I could be anything, I would be...: Youkai
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Kinjou
Zodiac:

The form of practice that I believe Fawn is referring to isOnmyodo or Onmyojutsu:

http://hushicho.captainn.net/onmy/path.htm (that is a very modern and freewheeling interpretation of it, but not a bad place to start)

Onmyojutsu is based largely on Taoist sorcery practices adapted into the unique Japanese framework. I believe it's from here that the magician's familiar being referred to as Shikigami stems.

Onmyodo "proper" has an extensive "vetting" process that is difficult to access/obtain outside of Japan, those who practice Onmyojutsu without the formal lineage (and tend to incorporate a lot of Shinto and Buddhist folk practices as well) are referred to as Mahou, if I'm not mistaken. :)

Hope this is helpful, Kit :)

Search4DLight
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
My magical/paranormal name...: To be revealed...
Zodiac:

Hi there is definitely another thread with them as i have read it a while ago. I too saw this listing and thought WOW... naturally it brought up memories of Shinagami from Death Note and also the shikigami from Bleach...

Kit
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

hanabushi wrote: Onmyojutsu is based largely on Taoist sorcery practices adapted into the unique Japanese framework. I believe it's from here that the magician's familiar being referred to as Shikigami stems.

Onmyodo "proper" has an extensive "vetting" process that is difficult to access/obtain outside of Japan, those who practice Onmyojutsu without the formal lineage (and tend to incorporate a lot of Shinto and Buddhist folk practices as well) are referred to as Mahou, if I'm not mistaken. :)

Hope this is helpful, Kit :)

yay! thank you!!! and thanks for the website!! :D
ah okay no wonder i kept going in a bit of a circle with the information between Onmyojutsu and Onmyodo to Shikigami! :D
this is actually quite interesting!!! ....hmmm this brings about new thoughts!
(yessssss!!! its finally kits time to ask questions on something he is confused a bit about!!)

1) lets start with the main!: does one who bring these spirits in need to undergo some sort of vetting processed as mentioned above
2) Does the magick really have to be specific? as with other familiars, i find that the breach of other cultural texts of magick are as good as texts from their own origin and culture.
3) Hoe does a Shikigamis actions differ from a person who may not be within practice as a Onmyodo to make use over such a magick of origin.
4) seeing as how Shikigami are offered in the store - does the practice matter in repsect of having need be done? As i would assume as they are offered maybe in terms of how these are given in custom conjuration they will compliment the keeper even if that keeper doesnt have a large base known in Japanese magick.
^ just to note: I do understand though that such magick could actualy be beneficial in respect to as stated "the practice done in effort with a spirit that is knowledgeable on it, would make a better connection between the magick work and familiar"
but seeing as how our spirits breach over origin restrain then i would imagine there wouldnt have to be too much worry on such a thing > but should be looked to in the need of making a better connection.
Search4DLight wrote:Hi there is definitely another thread with them as i have read it a while ago. I too saw this listing and thought WOW... naturally it brought up memories of Shinagami from Death Note and also the shikigami from Bleach...

i have used the search bar but sadly whenever i do look for a shikigami thread in only makes a hit in the topic of an actual topic of Shinigami (not shikigami as typed though, it was just a typo in the title) vs Reapers and such.
if you do find though an topic made with much information on the forum with shikigami experiences and information then please post it here...because then i fear the search bar is being grumpy with Kit.... :eh:

I am loving this information!!!! thanks for all help being done in this topic!!! :wizard:
.....may i ask for more.....??? (answers to my questions!) :D

LU.??MS
hanabushi
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 26
Your favorite spirit to work with: Undecided!
If I could be anything, I would be...: Youkai
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Kinjou
Zodiac:

caramellesweet wrote: 1) lets start with the main!: does one who bring these spirits in need to undergo some sort of vetting processed as mentioned above?[/i]

Well, let's see what I can answer here. Please keep in mind that I'm no expert, just a very humble lay practitioner. :) I'll try to give credits where I can, but I'll be honest and tell you, I can't remember exactly where I read or was taught everything.

As far as I personally know, there are two types of shikigami (there may well be more outside of my personal experience): There are the kind that are created by the Onmyoji themselves (very much like the servitors I read about here), and then there are the kind that are associated with specific mythic figures within the practice (variably referred to as shikijin. The following translation is kind of headache-inducing but might give you an idea:

http://eos.kokugakuin.ac.jp/modules/xwo ... ntryID=198

In terms of there needing to be a vetting process, there might well be a formal one but I don't know of one. The only point I can think of in this vein is the concept that in a situation of one Onmyoji vs. another, it is said that it is possible for the stronger magician to turn another's shikigami back against them. This may or may not be true, and may or may not refer to the level of discipline in employing one's familiar spirit against another magician. However: I doubt that you (or anyone else in their right mind) are thinking of warring on anyone, so I think one can reasonably count this point as irrelevant to your situation. :)
2) Does the magick really have to be specific? as with other familiars, i find that the breach of other cultural texts of magick are as good as texts from their own origin and culture.
Again I can only speak from my own personal experience as an *extremely* eclectic [iMahou (using elements of Onmyodo, Taoism, Wicca, and a few other traditions!), I don't find that it has to be particularly specific. Especially when dealing with the very Nature-oriented paths, I find that they are strikingly similar at their base and therefore play nicely together. Other's mileage may of course vary.
3) How does a Shikigami's actions differ from a person who may not be within practice as a Onmyodo to make use over such a magick of origin.
4) seeing as how Shikigami are offered in the store, does the practice matter in repsect of having need be done? As i would assume as they are offered maybe in terms of how these are given in custom conjuration they will compliment the keeper even if that keeper doesnt have a large base known in Japanese magick.
I can't see CH offering something that wouldn't work well unless you had a formal background in Eastern Mysticism, so I'd have to say probably not. The only situation in which I could see it becoming any kind of issue is if one had a shikigami like the ones I mentioned in the article (specific Japanese demigods/immortals), in which case, much like the advice you gave me regarding Youkai (having a small base of them and building up to the more complex ones), I could see something like that being useful to the practitioner though not *strictly* necessary.

Incidentally, I think that your natural touch with Youkai will serve you well in this department, but that is only my opinion. :)

Hopefully some of this rambling is helpful to you! :D

Return to “Dark Arts”