You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: ---
If I could be anything, I would be...: ---
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: ---

Hi,

I've read about a method of meditation whereby one visualizes a candle flame and tries to hold that image in one's mind for as long as possible.

I'm wondering whether this effect can be achieved by listening to a piece of music during meditation, and then focusing only on a particular instrument (e.g. only the drums) throughout the entire song.

How else can one improve focus? I always end up getting distracted by an image of someone blowing out the flame i am visualizing, and having to rely on focusing on my breathing only instead.

I notice the thoughts and try to let them go, but the amount of thoughts coming up is rather more than i would like, so any tips on improving this aspect would be much appreciated!

In seeking Death I learned to live.
'Walk your own path. Seek your own truth.' -- Azrael
'What are words? Words are at once the most powerful and the most powerless things there are.'
Bjorg
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
My magical/paranormal name...: Leda Coral
Zodiac:

You indeed can use the music method. As you are listening to the music, and pull that one instrument to focus on, actually see it playing. You can also just focus on that instrument, and you will notices how the others tend to fall into the backdrop. I often use music in meditation but I tend to focus on certain tones, my own little quirk.

Cattle die, kinsmen die; the self must also die. I know one thing which never dies: the reputation of each dead man.
Psy Vampire from paternal side; Woodland Fae, Merfolk from maternal lineage.
Ruby
venerated member
venerated member
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Akira gave a good advice about music.

Personally I could never focus with music because it makes me think of scenarios for stories I want to write and that comes from walking to class with music blaring in my ears. For me, personally when it comes to meditation... I picture walking down a path of some kind. There's a door in the distance and I focus as hard as I can on me walking down the path to that door. It may sound really intense and whatnot but meditation doesn't quite work in a way of clearing my thoughts, when I'm focused on that particular thought, it keeps away anything else that could come to mind.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Vanya GreyCrow
acclaimed member
acclaimed member

Thanks, Akira, for the note on music.. will give it a go. I'm a big music listener, so i have the feeling this may work better for me than a candle flame.

brokenxidentity, interesting image... do you envision yourself ever reaching the door and opening it? Or is it just a path you keep walking along?

I have paths like that in my mind, but more for memory storage purposes (visualization technique).

'What are words? Words are at once the most powerful and the most powerless things there are.'
Ruby
venerated member
venerated member

You know, that's a very good question.. because as I walk down the path, sometimes I end up forgetting about it -- ironic as I try to focus on it. But when I do, I do picture myself opening the door from time to time and it would take me to another place. From there I visualize myself being with my spirits in some way, like flying with my dragon or something.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ashira
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 50
Spelled Number: 50
Your favorite spirit to work with: it changes lol
If I could be anything, I would be...: weredragon
My magical/paranormal name...: Ashira
Zodiac:

I have a book somewhere I once read a few meditation exercises from which help strengthen your ability to focus during meditation.

One is similar to what you initially described except instead of a candle flame, you visualize a baseball or softball down to the color of the thread, texture, weight and feel of the ball and hold it in your mind for like 5 minutes the first attempt and gradually try to hold it longer each time.

Another was to visualize a golf ball down to detail of the slick surface, the pits and the hardness and weight of the ball...but this time once you have it solidly in your mind, you morph it into a slightly larger type of ball, like a baseball. Once you have that solidly in your mind, you morph it into a slightly larger ball again like say a wiffle ball, then another and another (bowling ball, basket ball, etc.). You continue to do this with a series of slightly larger ones til you have a large colorful beachball.

There was also another exercise in which you visualize a red rubber ball. You start out the same as with the others getting the feel of the ball solidly in your mind, not just it's appearance. Then you change the color and hold it for a few minutes...then change color again. You can repeat this process for an endless cycle for as long as you wish.

These exercises not only help you to be able to focus for longer in meditation without losing the object of your focus, but they also teach you complete tactile imagery rather than simply visual imagery (imagining the feel of the texture and weight of the ball), and also strengthen your ability to control changes in the imagery. As a side note, if you happen to practice astral projection, these can be a great way to learn tactile imagery for using the "rope" method for forced exit. :thumbup:

ImageSurrounded by angels...the scaly kind!
Vanya GreyCrow
acclaimed member
acclaimed member

Thanks for the tips, Ashira!

I think visualizing different 'balls' with different tactile sensation would help keep me from losing focus by concentrating on just one image.. will give it a good shot.

Loviatar
new here
new here
You are...: a practitioner
Spelled Number: 1
If I could be anything, I would be...: my true self
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

I can't visualize but place an actual candle in front of me. It's not just a random candle, it has been given ...blessings? Might be the word. But it makes the world of difference. I can't explain it. I don't see it, my eyes are closed, i can't hear it or feel the warm but I can feel the essence of the lit candle and it makes it easier to focus. Mantras have been working as well. I slip to a state where I'm not sure if I'm actually saying the words or just doing what the words are suppose to ignite. Breath work is important, I start by breathing with the candle and with mantras it's a huge difference are you breathing in or out at what part of it, especially if you are inviting something or letting go of something.

Return to “MEDITATION/QUIET TIME”