venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

When ever i've had a custom faeries they've always come through as female. I've also noticed that most people seem to have female fae. In most artwork stories and literature, faeries are more associated as females rather than male. We know that male faes exist, probably in abundance, but why do they just seem rare? Is it just because there are simply way more females than males in the faery realms? It's a simple question but just one i've wondered about. Anyone here who has had a male come through?

Thoughts?

Formerly known as WhimsicalSage/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
starfire
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 125
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

I often wonder about that myself!!!! I wonder though is that most of the females are more willing to come through then the males, and if males do come through maybe there is some need that they can handle better at the time? Just a thought!!!! ;)

starfire ::dragons::

Keeper of many spirits, who I suspect are keeping me instead!!!

Keeper of Thor, my friend and protector
Bellatrix Lestrange
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: experienced
If I could be anything, I would be...: Shinigami
Zodiac:

Well with orders sometimes if noone of that particular sexe comes through then they will ship what does come through..

I dont think they are rare..maybe CH's fae are mostly female..
There are male fae around though.. I guess it all depends on the fae race...

As Helpful Hobs,they are usually male..they help around the kitchen,love making breads and buns

Ch doesnt sell this range of fae but they can be custom conjured,and will very likely always come up as male,as there is a female version with a different name :) :faery:

ImageImage
ღƸ̴Ӂ̴ƷღIღloveღyouღGrellღSutcliffღƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒღ Image
Ruby
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

Gancanaughs should be all male. :P Yes, they are fae but at times they are sometimes not taken into consideration as they are DA and seem to work like charmers for male keepers than anything. Plus I don't think they are found in the faery section in the store, but under dark arts. That being said, with a female keeper like myself, he acts more like an incubus to me. :lol: When people talk about fae, I sometimes forget that I do have a fae because I usually refer to him as just my ganny and I welcomed him from a reverse adoption. xD

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Lionox wrote:I had a male Aubres Fae come through for me, along with my lady Aubres :)
You have two of these? I didn't know you had two. I think they do come through but it just seems less. It's not just to do with spirits that come through though. In art work and literature, the beauty of fae is very much associated with the feminine. Rarely do you see art work of say, a male woodland faery. However you do see male represented more with dark arts fae and other little folk races such as gnomes and brownies.
Is this to say something of the different aspects of male and female when it comes to nature....?
Bellatrix lastrange wrote:Well with orders sometimes if noone of that particular sexe comes through then they will ship what does come through..

I dont think they are rare..maybe CH's fae are mostly female..
There are male fae around though.. I guess it all depends on the fae race...

As Helpful Hobs,they are usually male..they help around the kitchen,love making breads and buns

Ch doesnt sell this range of fae but they can be custom conjured,and will very likely always come up as male,as there is a female version with a different name :) :faery:
This is the sort of thing i'm thinking. Gnomes and Hobs(i don't know much about hobs) are very much associated as males whereas the woodland races of fae and probably most races of traditional fae seem to be stereotypically associated with the feminine. Male fae of this type seem to just be rarer.....? Whereas in contrast gnomes can be more associated as males whereas, are females gnomes rarer? Gnomes have a simlarity with dwarves in that they're supposed to live underground. Dwarves are another one who are more associated as male than female. Does this say something about the masculine and feminine aspects of nature...?
starfire wrote:I often wonder about that myself!!!! I wonder though is that most of the females are more willing to come through then the males, and if males do come through maybe there is some need that they can handle better at the time? Just a thought!!!! ;)

starfire ::dragons::
I don't know. I've just wondered whether there's a surplus of females in contrast to the males and that's just why more come through.
Ruby wrote:Gancanaughs should be all male. :P Yes, they are fae but at times they are sometimes not taken into consideration as they are DA and seem to work like charmers for male keepers than anything. Plus I don't think they are found in the faery section in the store, but under dark arts. That being said, with a female keeper like myself, he acts more like an incubus to me. :lol: When people talk about fae, I sometimes forget that I do have a fae because I usually refer to him as just my ganny and I welcomed him from a reverse adoption. xD
Yes, Gangacangh i think are all male. But again they are Dark arts fae, not that there's anything wrong with it, but i see a contrast here between types and varieties of fae associated with different genders. The traditional WA fae that are most frequently portrayed always seem to just be feminine. It's in dark fae stories that they'll talk about the males.
Obviously, we know that there are male flower faeries for instance but it looks like the females seem to be more common. I suppose the heart of my question is about why is there such as distinction in genders between the different species? I hope that made sense. :lol: :wild:

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

::hijack:: I hilacked my own thread. :silly: But if i din't hijack here, i'd have to hijack your blog.
I love that new avatar Lionix.

Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

But back to the discussion, i'm not sure how much of it really is to do with stereotyping but whether maybe it is to do with the fact that more commonly female faeries were the ones to appear and inspire the artists, writers and shamans of old........? It's just something to think about. If more females come through in conjuration today, that may have just happened in the past as well.

Ruby
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

Haha, actually, Shadow, now that I think about it.. looking through several fairy pictures that I've seen in the past, they are usually rather whimsical in nature and colored in pastel.. maybe the male look rather feminine. :o I wonder if it might be because they do look feminine?

It is just speculation because I don't have a fae of WA nature, but as far as my ganny goes, I have never seen him with wings (maybe he doesn't show them to me or maybe we never discussed it) but maybe cultural preconception kind of labels the wings as more feminine.. if that makes sense. Again, pure speculation. :P Or maybe on a less serious guess, fairies = typically small = kind of cute looking = girl!

And I agree, Lionox. Your avatar looks awesome. :)

ImageImageImageImageImage
Untaimed
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them....
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

I have a few (4) male Fae (Earth, Seelie & Astral) & while I do have more females than males, I think that it MY case it just depended on the need & who matched best for me.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, remains and is immortal. -Albert Pine.
moonwind
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My magical/paranormal name...: Moonwind
Zodiac:

I also have some male fae here. Yes most of mine are female. But I must say my males seem to be more shy than my female. :faery: :faery: :faery:

Just because it does not work for them does not mean it will not work for you!

ImageImageImage

Return to “Faery”