THE R.M.S.TITANIC

Do you know of a charity that needs help?
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

Dear CH Forum,

Practically the Whole World knows about the tragic sinking of the Titanic April 14-15, 1912. Half a century later, my grandmother took me to see "A Night to Remember" , and she wept continuously through the last part of the film. Almost all the people in the downtown Philly movie theatre, the Trans-Lux at 1519 Chestnut Street, were openly crying. I felt like I had been beaten silly, and for the first time in my very young life, I suddenly understood tragedy. Clifron Webb and Barabara Stanwick (I had a crush on her and thought Webbb the most sedate of Actors).....

I realized that my grandparents whole generation was smacked in their emotional center for the rest of their lives. My parent's generation acted the same way, but either accepted the tragic feelings, or ran away in wild denial of having any feelings about it.

Decades later, I got some small artifacts from the ship, souvenir people were (and still are selling lumps of coal and pieces of wood)...the vibes were very strong. Later I got a "heart hatpin" that was part of the costume pieces that were used by Kathy Bates...and this item had both the "hotness" of BAtes and the sorrow of the tragedy.

This tragedy is perhaps the greatest non-war-no-military tragedy in the history of the world. In a little less than 2 weeks from now, on April 14th - 15th - It is the 100th Anniversary of this tragedy.

During the period around midnith April 14-15th, I am going to go somewhere (As yet undecided) and read out loud the entire passenger list....which I found on line:

http://www.lva.virginia.gov/exhibits/titanic/p2.htm

As I believe these were the bravest non-war civilians that ever lived and died ever, and that includes the survivors.

I am suggesting that at that period of April 14th & 15th, that everyone on this thread post a 2 sentence statement (or more), a meditation, prayer, or poem. If we all did this - each in our own way - I believe it would be an amazing and earth-shaking experience..

When I was a kid, I was playing on the ice of a lake and walking across it, running & jumping as a 14 year old might do...I heard this HUGH PING! SOUND, and the ice started cracking around me. There were some friends on shore. I sank through the ice and the current carrried me away from the broken ice hole....I was under water pounding on the ice, and I finally broke through using my head as a battering ram, got my hands on top of the ice , and used my back to break open ia new hole...at them time I wasn't thinking...this is all remembered through hindsight. I was hanging onto the edge of the ice...the guys on the shore threw a log tied onto a rope that they held and were yelling "Grab it!"...I did and the pulled me through a mess of cold water and cracking ice to shore.....That is a micrometer of 1% of what the Heroes & Heroines on the Titantic mentally & physically experienced. My experience is trivial...there's was not....

I ask that we all publicly and as a group honor the bravest of the brave on the 100th year of their Living Spirit of Bravery and Courage and use this as opening a Path for Valour that IS NOT related to war and is related to the Valor of Daily Every Day Life.

I Feel that if we do this....it will be much more than an Act of Respect (although it is that) but it will lead to Creation of a Goodness that has no ordinary limits, and let's us all "Grow Our Own Compassion" much further out into the world, no matter how great our current compassion might be.

Thank you,
Caiyros
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

I think this is a powerful idea.
Will be back to post on the anniversary...

Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

NoctemAeternus wrote:I think this is a powerful idea.
Will be back to post on the anniversary...

TRES COOL ! C-

Occult Metaphysical
TheWatcher
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 30
Spelled Number: 15
My magical/paranormal name...: Do i need one ?

il be back then posting something.

starfire
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 125
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

I will be back to post something as well!!! I have seened the moive a Night To Remember, quite a few times, and I do like that one!!! I did also see the the newer one as well, and I have different feelings concerning both moives.

However the fact remains that this was a very tragic event, and one that may have been prevented, if the right safety measures had been taken and in place in the first place!!!

starfire ::dragons::

Keeper of many spirits, who I suspect are keeping me instead!!!

Keeper of Thor, my friend and protector
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

starfire wrote:I will be back to post something as well!!! I have seened the moive a Night To Remember, quite a few times, and I do like that one!!! I did also see the the newer one as well, and I have different feelings concerning both moives.

However the fact remains that this was a very tragic event, and one that may have been prevented, if the right safety measures had been taken and in place in the first place!!!

The villian was Bruce Ismay who had some high position relative to the ship. He cheapened some metals and had less lifeboats than required in order to make the ship go faster and set a new speed record. Also he dressed up as a woman grabbed a baby out of another woman's hands and jumped into a lifeboat to save himself.

Here folllows a quote about the titanic:

"1. The bulkheads, which were supposed to form individual watertight compartments, should have gone much higher, in the hull, than they did. The lower upper edges of the bulkheads, as the ship began to sink by the bow, allowed the seawater to enter the first, then second, third, and so on compartments, thus causing the the ship to sink.

2. Metalurgic analysis of the metal hull plates revealed that the steel "recipe" was extremely poor, in that it was rendered very weak and brittle, resulting in the ice berg cutting a long gash through several compartments. Had the steel been like ours of today, the hull plates would not have failed, and there would not have been any flooding of any compartments, thus no sinking."

Recently they found some actual, provable footage of the Titanic sailing out of the harbour, but I have not yet seen it.

Possible Reasons for the Titanic Sinking: quoted from News.

Titanic Construction
One of the possible reasons for the Titanic sinking may have been the materials used in the construction of the Titanic. It was initially thought that the iceberg had cut a hole in the side of the Titanic, but further research shows that it had actually caused the hull to buckle in multiple places allowing water to enter between her steel plates. Analysis of the plating from the Titanic wreck found that it was of a metallurgy that loses its elasticity and becomes brittle in icy water.

Another factor may have been the quality of the rivets holding the hull together. Scientists found that the rivets contained a high concentration of slag. A side product of smelting, slag can make rivets brittle and the company had a shortage of skilled riveters, a trade that took great skill.

Turning Ability

Construction of the rudders on the Titanic met the requirements of a ship her size, but the design was far from revolutionary. BBC History research showed that the rudder of the Titanic was an exact copy of an 18-century sailing ship showing a great lack of technical development. Little thought was put into how a ship of the size of the Titanic would maneuver out of the way of something like an iceberg for example.

Another factor contributing to the limited maneuverability of the Titanic was her triple screw engine configuration. This setup had steam engines driving her wing propellers and a steam turbine driving her central propeller. The turbine engine was not reversible although the steam engines were. Accounts state that a telegraph had been sent to the engine room ordering to set the engines in reverse in order to avoid the iceberg crippling the ship’s ability to turn.

Orientation of Impact

Many believe that the Titanic could have been saved if she had hit the iceberg head on. The bow of the Titanic was naturally stronger and that the impact would have only affected one or two of the watertight compartments (the ship could stay afloat with as many as 4 flooded). The buckling in the side of the hull resulted in five compartments to be flooded which eventually sunk the ship. Another faulty design was the single pump design that the Titanic was equipped with. Multiple pumps may have saved the ship when multiple compartments were being flooded.

Weather Conditions

An obvious possible reason for the Titanic sinking is the weather on the Atlantic during the time of the tragedy. The ocean was unusual because of the calm sea without wind or swell. Under normal conditions the waves would have broken over the base of the iceberg giving lookouts sooner warning.

Speed

The official report to the Titanic tragedy dictated that the cause for the Titanic sinking was due to collision with an iceberg, brought about by excessive speed in which the ship was being navigated. It is said that if the Titanic had maintained a lower cruising speed (she was at about 22 knots which was 2 less than her 24 knots top speed) that the iceberg could have been avoided.

The Titanic Sinks

Shortly after the two final lifeboats were lost, the forward funnel collapsed and crushed part of the bridge and people in the water. People on deck began jumping overboard in hopes of reaching a lifeboat. The Titanic’s stern rose into the air and everything not connected crashed into the ocean. The electrical system failed, the ship broke into two pieces, and the bow went under. A few minutes later at about 2:20am on April 15, the stern stank into the ocean.

For those who jumped overboard in hopes of being rescued by a lifeboat, hope was dim. Only two of the 18 lifeboats launched picked people up after the rescue. 5 were saved by lifeboat 4, and lifeboat 14 went back and rescued four people, one who died afterward.

The two severed pieces of the glorious titanic acted very differently as they plummeted toward the ocean floor. The bow sunk relatively peacefully, as it was already filled with water. The bow of the Titanic is now embedded 60 feet in the bottom of the ocean floor. The stern’s decent was a little more violent as the pressure differential caused implosion as the bow sank into the ocean.

Just under four hours after the disaster the RMS Carpathia arrived in the area and began rescuing survivors. At 8:30 she picked up the last lifeboat with survivors and left the area bound for New York.

MORE QUOTES:

Original Titanic Stock Certificate, International Mercantile Marine Company

In 1902 J. P. Morgan formed the International Mercantile Marine Company with an investment of $120 million. An American financier with a gift for creating fortunes, Morgan was involved in railroads and steel empires. He purchased Red Star Lines, the Mississippi, and the entire capital stock of the White Star Line; a British company, thereby giving him more than half of the total British Atlantic tonnage. This transaction created the first international corporation of its kind. Although the White Star Fleet continued to be British registered, have British crews, and to fly the Red Ensign, it was really an American liner company. From 1902 until 1927, the White Star Line was a wholly owned subsidiary of IMMC. From its inception thirty years earlier until the turn of the century, it was probably the most successful of the British transatlantic carriers.

The most famous member of the International Mercantile Marine fleet was the White Star Liner, Titanic. This “unsinkable” 45,328 ton, 882 1/2 foot ship was the largest liner the world had known. On her maiden voyage to New York April 14, 1912, the liner hit an iceberg shortly after Sunday dinner. Of the 2,340 crew and passengers aboard, only 705 were saved. This greatest of all liners became the greatest disaster in maritime history with the deaths of 1,635 people. The story of the Titanic is the best documented of all stories of ocean liner tragedies.

Caiyros
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Occult Metaphysical
Madie
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My magical/paranormal name...: MakFilia Lucis
Zodiac:

When I was little my grandmother used to tell me stories of the tragedy and I remember we would both weep. I've watched the film and refused to watch it again....I'll never forget how I cried for hours after nor how the terrible feeling of loss and pain stayed with me for days after...

The idea of reading the entire passenger manifest is a great way of remembering and honoring the lives that were lost or affected by this tragedy.

I'll be definitively posting here on the anniversary as well as commemorating and remembering in my own way. :candle:

Be the change you wish to see in the world

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in helping others

May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to the freedom for all.

starfire
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 125
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
Zodiac:

Yes even my husband, who is a welder said that it had to have been faulty mateirals and the fact that the bulk head doors didn't go all the way up like they should have, and because they thought that the ship would be unsinkable, they didn't put enough life boats on it, like there should have been!!!

It is too bad that they were in such a hurry to get the ship built, because maybe if they had taken more time and more care about the building of her, maybe it would have still been around today, as a token of history to be actually seen!!!

My personal opinion on how they did with first class an everyone esle kinda of made me sick, as for me it was a very negitivty way to treat human beings, even today they still do that to a certain extent!!!!

However they did what they did and people's lives were lost!!! I am not sure but whatever happened to Bruce Ismay?

I also have kept up with what they have been finding out about how the ship sank, instead of just a hole, it was determined it was a long gash in the side of the ship, that allowed more water to come into the ship!!!!

Anyway I find all of this really interesting, and I always have such a deep seated feeling for the lost of the people who were on that ship!!!!
LilyStarCross wrote:When I was little my grandmother used to tell me stories of the tragedy and I remember we would both weep. I've watched the film and refused to watch it again....I'll never forget how I cried for hours after nor how the terrible feeling of loss and pain stayed with me for days after...

The idea of reading the entire passenger manifest is a great way of remembering and honoring the lives that were lost or affected by this tragedy.

I'll be definitively posting here on the anniversary as well as commemorating and remembering in my own way. :candle:
I know how you feel on that as it doesn't matter which moive I watch, the Night to Remember or the more recent one, I always end up crying and feel so much emotions for days after!!!!

Keeper of many spirits, who I suspect are keeping me instead!!!

Keeper of Thor, my friend and protector
Midnight Healing Garden
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 50
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Count me in. I have followed the Titanic since Dr. Ballard found her. I will gladly post on April 14th and 15th.

Ghostly Decibels
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fallen angels
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fallen angel
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Azura Rose Jet
Zodiac:

I've seen the Titanic exhibit of recovered artifacts in Vegas twice and each time I cried.

Return to “Charities & Causes”