Site Admin
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Immortality is a complicated thing.

Some of you may be surprised to learn that Immortality is something bestowed on many species, but not uniformly. Immortality is something that has been given or cursed upon Humans, Vampires, Gnomes, Dwarves, Elves, Unicorns, Dragons, and many, many others.

For those who were mortal and then given/cursed with Immortality it is usually conditional. The conditions can range from something minor (achievable by the entity) to hefty (such as the demise of the planet Earth)... and there is a lot regarding the conditions in between.

Immortality can also be conditional upon a non-specified fulfillment of time, upon which the Immortality fades from the being.

Before I go any further. Questions?

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
Ferocious Harmony
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Spelled Number: 200
If I could be anything, I would be...: Me
Zodiac:

My question would be about the mechanics behind immortality, but I feel like that's not really a simple question :P

How does something like this get bestowed?

What type of conditions could there be for immortality?

This is extremely interesting to me. Thanks for bringing this up.

Do go on! :D

I read these words of my future in the past, and now my lie is true.

There is always a solution, have you the fortitude to seek it.

Ruby
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

I remember reading a story of this lady you guys encountered who was cursed with immortality. Though in her case, it seemed to be more of being reincarnated right away with the same painful memories instead of starting with a fresh plate. It brings me to the thought that for those who do submit to the idea of reincarnation (myself included) - does that mean we are immortal save for our memories?

ImageImageImageImageImage
Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

I want to know everything and anything.. I thought i'd have more specific questions but none of quality come to mind at the moment. Very interested in what more you have to share, though.

Ferocious Harmony
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Ruby wrote:I remember reading a story of this lady you guys encountered who was cursed with immortality. Though in her case, it seemed to be more of being reincarnated right away with the same painful memories instead of starting with a fresh plate. It brings me to the thought that for those who do submit to the idea of reincarnation (myself included) - does that mean we are immortal save for our memories?

I remember reading that too. Surely there must be a better way to organize one's memories to better process something like immortality. That was a tragic story though. That poor, poor woman. :(
NoctemAeternus wrote:I want to know everything and anything.. I thought i'd have more specific questions but none of quality come to mind at the moment. Very interested in what more you have to share, though.
I am in so much agreement with this it's not even funny. :D Bring it on!

starfire
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 125
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
Zodiac:

I remember reading that story to about the lady you guys had met!!!!

I have questions, but I am going to wait, because I am not sure just how to word them to make sense, hehehehehe. So I will wait until you type more :thumbup: :D

starfire ::dragons:: :kistune:

Keeper of many spirits, who I suspect are keeping me instead!!!

Keeper of Thor, my friend and protector
Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin

How does something like this get bestowed?
In favor or in curse, and usually the "in favor" situations are conditional with reasonable conditions, whereas the curse is either non-conditional (yikes!) or conditional without the reasonable assumption they can meet those conditions (dangling carrot in front of person but they can never get the carrot).
What type of conditions could there be for immortality?
Wow, there are MANY... I will give you the top 5.

1. Achieving retribution/justice/reparations/atonement
2. Performing set tasks that could, essentially, take thousands of years to accomplish
3. Death can only be achieved under specific circumstances (most of the time circumstances not known to the person/being)
4. Until someone agrees to take their place
5. With the condition that they will not know when, or if, they will die ("Immortality" that can last hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands of years)

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mortal Immortality means that someone started out with an expiry and was gifted or cursed with an Immortal lifespan. Which can literally mean Immortal; they live on Earth, and even if the Earth is blown to bits will move onto the next realm with the continued Immortality. In which case, their form will change, which, essentially makes their Immortality unconditional.

Some Immortality can be classified as enhanced mortality. Meaning that the person/being is no longer affected by the same trivialities of illness, or injury, that their regular counterparts are and therefore their life becomes elongated to the point of bestowed Immortality.

It is a complex issue to discuss Immortality to its full lengths because the criteria by which it is judged and given can vary so greatly.

Who does the bestowing? An entity that is truly Immortal. The classification being God, gods, goddesses, and other recognized deities that are truly Immortal by existence.

Not all of any race that has existed on Earth has ever been wholly Immortal. Meaning, not all humans, not all Vampires, not all Unicorns, not all Elves, etc. However, in MANY races, there has been endowment of Immortality. It is typically on an individual basis, but has been on small groups, and can be either gifted or cursed to them.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
Ferocious Harmony
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Thanks for answering Mags.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in this for the entirety of my perceivable existence. There is so much I'd like to understand about immortality. Yet I know my questions probably dip into the realm of privileged information. Which I am either not worthy to know or need to find out on my own to utilize properly.

Is this the type of thing that can only be bestowed or can it also be attained?

What about the philosophers stone? Have you ever come across anyone who successfully created one? If so, what are the benefits like?

What would you say are the pros/cons of unconditional immortality[Where it's not a curse]? Would you ever consider it?

Thanks for sharing this with us Mags. :wave: I know this is waving but I'm really trying to give you a high five for your exceptional brand of awesome. The hand is moving because I'm tensing for a high five of legendary status. :lol:

Snakat
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Zodiac:

This is somehting that I find very interesting. But I do wonder what would be important enough for a Immortal bestow or curse someone with it.

I second Ferocious Harmony question on last post. I would like to know more but don't even know if my question could be answer, probably would have to find myself.

Return to “Magnolia”