You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: Moon Wisp
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Proud spiritual brother of Yllektmas
Zodiac:

Am becoming more and more intrigued by the Leanan Sidhe.

I am interested if anyone has any information or experiences on/with them. I k.ow they have been mentioned a couple times here, but nothing meaty. Wanted to provide a thread for further discussion. Discussing mythology is fine...but i want to steer clear of pure speculation as it pertains to the entertainment industry, etc, if that is okay.

Main purpose here: I have a feeling, and have for quite some time actually (though it was recently stoked) that there is much more behind this tale than what is currently written. I am hoping some of the more experienced members of our board have some additional info and will shed some light for us.

Endy

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Everything I write I have lived;
Everything I write is an implication
Of that which I have not..."
- P. M.

"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." - W. B. Yeats
Endymion Ink
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
Zodiac:

Several hours of investigation later, both in the cyber realm and through meditation and work with the pendulum...

I am not at all surprised at the apparent connection between The Morrigan and The Leanan Sidhe.
These two entities have held a crazy appeal to me for years, long before spirit-keeping or being aware of spirit-keeping.
That said, I knew next to nothing about The Morrigan and absolutely nothing about the Leanan Sidhe.

After studying all this morning, and periodically over the past several weeks, I am all the more drawn...and largely because I do not ascribe to much of the mythology as it is represented in popular or slightly-less-than popular fiction. I could, of course, be absolutely incorrect in assuming this but, I'm following my intuition here.

I have written a short story about The Morrigan, in which, I believe, she has revealed herself to me in some ways, most of which (with the exception to her connection with war) is vastly outside what the mythologies state. I am beginning to wonder just how strong the connection between her and the Leanan Sidhe is...and in what way.

Could they be varying aspects of the same deity?
Are the Leanan Sidhe, in fact, a race (as has been alluded to by a couple of my friends here at CH) rather than a single entity?
And if so, what exactly is their connection to the Morrigan, if any?

Tangentially connected to this topic is the fact that I have a binding to John Keats on the way with my Remus Reading. I am interested to ask him if there is any TRUE connection between him and The Leanan Sidhe, as is voiced in popular myth and hinted at my W.B. Yeats.

Anyways...anyone with any insights please feel free to jump into the discussion. ESPECIALLY Miss Magnolia and Mr. Ash, but beyond them, I know there are a couple people with interests herein, or with bindings to Percy Byshe Shelley (another supposed tie). And then, of course, Sir Caiyros :P I always look for his enlightening posts!

And please...feel free to contradict me. I am a newbie, still, and will be for a long time forward, especially given my less-than-strong or at the very least extremely sporadic communicative abilities with my spirits.

Endy

- P. M.

Endymion Ink
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

P.s. To any concerned, I have no plans to sign my life away to anyone, spirit, entity, or otherwise. Just to put that out there. I am just not buying all that part of the story. At least not as it is presently told. And want to clear a bit of the murkiness of the tale.

Endy

- P. M.

Endymion Ink
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

*Teh Bumpage*

Endy

- P. M.

Ghostly Decibels
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fallen angels
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fallen angel
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Azura Rose Jet
Zodiac:

If you don't get any responses, establish a precedent by getting one bound and then report back to us how it goes :clap:

TheFancifulFox
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 78
Spelled Number: 250
Your favorite spirit to work with: Mine
My magical/paranormal name...: Fox
Zodiac:

I think she popped up in Star Trek. There's an alien that looks like she's based off of the mythology.
Deep Space Nine, season 4, episode 21 "The Muse". (On Netflix it's listed as episode 20.)

..... It's best if you don't ask how I found it ::facepalm::

The foolish hurry. The smart wait. The wise go into the garden.

Endymion Ink
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Terror: You are evil....lol. "Yea, bind a spirit that possibly will make a husk outta ya in a couple years, you know, so you can tell us how it feels" Ya tart. hehehe

Fox: Star Trek! hehehe I will say nothing, but will check it out.

Since this will bump the topic one more time, I am hoping somebody new will see it. But...if not, hopefully Mags and Ash will respond to my email one day when they are not insanely busy with all the Remus readings and free stuff they've given us :) I'm not in any hurry...just curious as heck. Still, the Remus order and it's free ten bindings will keep me busy bonding for quite a while.

Leanan Sidhe: We'll get this figured out...but feel free to interact with me and illuminate the mystery further in the mean time!! I would love to share the Truth of your story, if you would have it told.

Endy

- P. M.

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

Lol, I'm sure the leanan sidhe won't make a husk out of you.

As you can easily see by now in your journey, entities throughout history are not always presented accurately --or their 'negative' traits are amplified, brought to the fore over the positive.
There are many entities that come across as wicked, while keepers come to know them and have a nicer or at least more complex experience. Part of that is the difference between interacting with them in their lifetime vs in spirit, but it's also because there is a lot more to these beings.

So, there is truth to the legends..absolutely. They do bear a darker aspect, but it is like with keeping any DA spirit or being. If you're not up for the duality of DA, then avoid it, but if you're cool with it and strong enough to handle that potential --a leanan sidhe should not be such a problem.
If you have read some about them, you can observe a definite duality, they bestow much goodness as well..they are fondly regarded, despite these haunting aspects.

A DA being, the darker they get can be more suitable for the experienced; but are not necessarily going to be a danger to their keeper at any extent of darkness..as exhibited by many here.

[Note; there is a sort of counterpart faery mistress, of a similar name - the Lhiannan Shee of Manx origin, that is much darker..and yet comparable to the Baobhan Sith in those malicious aspects..so even in that case, there is potential to safely work with one.]

Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

From what i understand the Leanan sidhe is a type of Fae that used to fall in love with poets and inspire them like a muse. They would give them excellent poetry skills but the poet would have a shorter life due to the Leanan sidhe draining them.

Expect them to be DA. I think a Leanan Sidhe would be excellent for you and i can see why you'ld be drawn to one. You already have an outstanding way with words in my opinion, and a type of muse like the Leanan sidhe would be probably excellent for you. :thumbup:

I've also seen them compared to the Gancanagh, and i think that's a reasonable comparison. If you're really unsure about getting a spirit that no one else seems to have my suggestion is work with a practitioner that you trust and you can be assured that you wont get anything dangerous.

As for Morrigon, i know less about her, but there are a few people on here that have had bindings of her.

Formerly known as WhimsicalSage/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
Endymion Ink
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Thank you guys. And for strokin' the ego :p

Yes, good point shadowsage. As soon as money is not so scarce, i will speak with Magnolia and Ash about it. I trust them completely and know they would not bind something inherently "deadly".

I have begun working with this spirit a bit and am attempting to get to know her. Yhank you guys for your input (and yes, i guess i'll have to watch that Fox ;p)

Endy

- P. M.

Return to “Faery”