acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 30
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

I hope I'm putting this in the right spot.

Ancestors - a guide to those with not so enlightened relatives.

When I describe my family, I tend to just use the good parts, the parts worth learning from. But there is a whole pack of boring, narrow minded, ignorant, petty, abusive, addictive, and just about every other bad thing you can think of in there too. Even the best of us have not be saints, and there is some bad feelings that run very deep on all sides of my genetic lines.

With that said, even if all the family members you have ever had or have ever even heard of were repellant... that doesn't mean you should rule out giving Honor to your ancestors. Perhaps you know nothing of your genetic heritage, or would prefer to connect with family by adoption, still not a barrier to this practice. (my family LOVES to "take in strays" and tended to have few blood descendants. plenty of my ancestors and I don't share a drop of genetics more than I would with a total stranger... which is still what 99% or something like that? Blood calls to blood, but nothing beats Love.)

My own altar is very simple:
A white glass enclosed candle (picked up at dollar store or local grocery. if you can't find one check in your "ethnic" or Mexican aisle.)
A small black dish
A small white dish
A glass of clear clean water (tap is fine)
Nice additions might be small pictures in a frame or small items familiar and saturated with energies of an honored ancestor.

Things I have that you don't need but that I think are pretty spiffy:
Spirit lamp
Day of the dead chattering clay skull
2 shot glasses
Heavy black coffee mug
Antique white china tea cup
Rose of Jericho (resurrection plant)

What you give them depends upon who is coming through for you. The most common offerings include; coffee (often very strong), tea, liquor, cigars/cigarettes, spirit money (go look it up yourself - you have Google), baked goods, spicy foods, candles, incense, flowers, herbs. (note - in some cultures the food must be completely salt free in others it must be heavily salted)

I talk to them. I sing to them. I dance with them. I invite them to my celebrations and I share my troubles with them. They are as real to me as the fat cat napping on my favorite hoodie here in the living room. Ancestors I never met in flesh, energies that connect me to the whole amazing map of humanity, have helped to guide and shape the course of my life.

Despite having become isolated from the primary body of The Family, I remain connected to all the best that they had to offer. They have comforted me in times of pain, and stood beside me in the halls of those who would be my enemy.

But the most important thing they have taught me. is that all that remains is the Love. All that remains is the best things. The feuds and strife and struggles are all behind. They never encourage me to cut short my journey, but knowing what and who is waiting for me on the other side is an enduring pillar of my support structure.

I guess some women knit, and some of us talk to the dead. But don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

sadlotus79
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

I like to see this. :thumbup:

one of the most important things we can do is honour our ancestors,since it is on their shoulders we stand.

great post :D

When one tugs at a single thing in nature,he find it attached to the rest of the world.
John Muir

Men soon the faults of others learn
A few their virtues, too, find out;
But is there one—I have a doubt—
Who can his own defects discern?
Sanskrit Proverb

tagore.
starfire
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 125
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
Zodiac:

Maythen, that was just so beautifully done!!!!! :thumbup: :D

Also a good reminder to give our ancestors some honor, and yes even I have felt some of mine as well, a lot of times, when I was feeling low, they let me know that I was loved, no matter what!!!! :hug: Thank-you for sharing!!! :thumbup:

starfire ::dragons:: :kistune:

Keeper of many spirits, who I suspect are keeping me instead!!!

Keeper of Thor, my friend and protector
Aurum
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals
Zodiac:

sadlotus79 wrote:I like to see this. :thumbup:

one of the most important things we can do is honour our ancestors,since it is on their shoulders we stand.

great post :D
I agree. Beautiful.

I don´t know that much about my ancestors but I always make offerings to them. Mostly alcohol, because they are most likely Finns. I should remember to talk to the more.

Maythen21
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

I was talking about my ancestral altar with a friend, and we were discussing that not everyone knows about their ancestors. I have a head full of stories, several photos, and little trinkets from quite a few.

We were also discussing that some people have issues of abuse or trauma with blood relatives that makes connection with ancestors frightening or difficult. I admit, I've got a few of those myself, but when I set up my altar I specifically charged it to only allow through those energies with loving intentions, that had my best interest at heart, and that came for my highest good.

It's actually a wee little plant stand that is meant to go out in the garden, so don't think you need an antique table or huge spread. (although they probably would like it if you got a huge antique table and laid out a daily buffet :hungry: it isn't neccessary or expected)

A little incense, fresh water, offerings now and then... but mostly it's a way of opening the door. Of saying to yourself and to them that you want that connection.

I suppose it helps that I was raised with such a broad understanding of "family" since there was so little blood shared. To me family is about love more than genetics.
How many times in your life have you said to yourself "I just hate my situation, I'm surrounded by those who love and support me. I need a lot less of this." ::facepalm::

All part of the human family, at least for this life. :lol:

AmnesiaReminisced
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: volkh
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Bahliayree
Zodiac:

This is a really AWESOME thread.

*bows head. I am ashamed to say I do not know my lineage well at all but your post shows that it is not difficult to open the door to connecting with them.

Thank you and bookmarked,

AmnR

SAGE LYON AZURE

Get some R&R. Everyday, Receive new truth and Reunite yourself.
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

Maythen21 wrote:I was talking about my ancestral altar with a friend, and we were discussing that not everyone knows about their ancestors. I have a head full of stories, several photos, and little trinkets from quite a few.

We were also discussing that some people have issues of abuse or trauma with blood relatives that makes connection with ancestors frightening or difficult. I admit, I've got a few of those myself, but when I set up my altar I specifically charged it to only allow through those energies with loving intentions, that had my best interest at heart, and that came for my highest good.

It's actually a wee little plant stand that is meant to go out in the garden, so don't think you need an antique table or huge spread. (although they probably would like it if you got a huge antique table and laid out a daily buffet :hungry: it isn't neccessary or expected)

A little incense, fresh water, offerings now and then... but mostly it's a way of opening the door. Of saying to yourself and to them that you want that connection.

I suppose it helps that I was raised with such a broad understanding of "family" since there was so little blood shared. To me family is about love more than genetics.
How many times in your life have you said to yourself "I just hate my situation, I'm surrounded by those who love and support me. I need a lot less of this." ::facepalm::

All part of the human family, at least for this life. :lol:

You are so correct! I have used the same motivations and definitions of the mental process that you outline here, but I don't maintain a specific altar but simply have "areas of respect" and ceremony all over the place...so it looks more like a Woolworth's with a lot of unusual stuff rather than a Cathedral or a Mage's Table.....

There are several ancestors that I talk with a great deal (My grandfather "PR" (for Percy Richard) is one of them) and get advice from in an "ongoing way"

C-

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
moongypsy
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: dark and white
If I could be anything, I would be...: I like being me
My magical/paranormal name...: moongypsy

LOVE this thread. Thank you for sharing this!

There is a thin line between brilliance and insanity
dbuddafly
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 2
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Maythen, I truly appreciate your post because I am a person that venerates my ancestors. Although, in my life, my family life has been less than desirable and I have been through what most could not believe, I have sought those family members that have come before me.

I would have to say that I have always carried them with me, but to actually create a space, that is fairly recent. My altar is very, very simple. I have no pictures of any of my ancestors as my maternal family will not give any pics to be copy and my paternal family is a mystery to me because dad left the islands to never return or speak of them. And as to my boys, I have a pic of one, but to respect my husband's feelings, I have omitted it from the altar. But what I do have is some names of those that have passed on to the spirit world. I have created little memorials on my computer and framed them of those I have names and D.O.B & D.O.D of. I have maternal grandparents, my boys and even a young man that I worked with that in life, became like another son to me. I know there are other ancestors that want a place, and as time goes on, and they come forward, I will create one memorial that will I will frame.

I have something like a perpetual light going on the altar (basically a seven day vigil candle that burns at all time, and if I know that one candle will go out while I am off to work or whatever, I light the new beside the other one.) For the boys, I have a white matchbox car, I have statues of angels on and a few other simple things on their altar. Sundays I offer a white scented candle and/ or incense. I always have water in glass on their altar. I use to offer food, candies and rum, but since we get ants seasonally, I have stop that practice.

I pray in front of that altar daily. Give thanks and appreciation for their presence. I telepathically speak to them daily, even when I am pressed for time. I speak to them about everything from my thoughts, feelings, disappointment, anger, etc. and always come from there altar knowing that they have listened. I even rant and rave and bawl my eyes out to them. And as it is, meditation near their altar is very productive.

And as of late, as I focus on growing spiritually, I have noticed things that can only be acknowledgments from my ancestors.

I just wanted to share. Today is one of those days that I am more open. Go figure.

Once again thanks for posting.

D

Dbuddafly
Maythen21
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

You're most welcome, I'm glad to see that others are finding connection and solace as I have.

Ancestral energy is such a special flavor, and they're often uniquely capable of understanding the strife and struggles encountered while having this human experience. They often know what it was like to experience poverty, illness, pain, betrayal, addiction, loss, the burden of service, rage, or wanting. They remember the blessings of little miracles; money found in a jacket pocket, the little scratch off winning, near misses and narrow escapes.

Right now my altar is a little cluttered. They've acquired several pieces of jewlery as well as a little saint icon with sacred soil in it. I suspect it's a less than subtle hint that the whole altar could use a scrub down and while I'm at it, some extra offerings sure would be nice since I've got to start house hunting. wink wink, nudge nudge.

You know, the dead are rarely subtle.

Return to “Human”