Shadow selves

Do you want to teach others something? Let them shadow you!
silversamhain
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 15
Your favorite spirit to work with: gargoyles/dragonoids
If I could be anything, I would be...: a wyvern
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Caoimhe
Zodiac:

Hmm I don't know about the shadow self thing but I did meet myself in a really weird dream once! This topic reminded me of it.... and it's interesting so I'll share!

(trigger warning for scary and graphic dreams!)

About six months after I decided to really dedicate myself to working with spirits (before I knew there were spirits that weren't human) I was struggling with the idea of totally opening myself to all spirits. I had helped several friends through giving them messages from spirits, but I knew that more were showing up as I made myself known to them and I began to see that not all spirits were the cookie-cutter sweeties that the first few I worked with were. I had/have a fear of gore and pain and so on and I found that some spirits that hadn't quite passed on yet wanted to show me the form they appeared in when they died...... i.e. with horrific wounds that were enough to make me feel like puking. :W :: I was teetering on the edge of a precipice where if I worked with more, I wouldn't be able to go back and stop seeing them..... and then I had that dream.

I was with my family and it was really snowy outside, and the roads were dangerous. We were on our farm and had to go to another family member's house, and even though I insisted that it was too dangerous, my family insisted on driving on the icy roads. I was sitting in the back seat, and a spirit told me that when we came to a fork in the road, we HAD to take the long way on the left side. I told my family and they laughed and refused to believe me..... and immediately as soon as we picked the other side, we went off a bridge and died. It was a horrific death scene and I felt it all. Multiple broken limbs, and my family was dead in the car around me and I sobbed, trapped in the car, until I froze to death. (Eek!)

Shortly after I died, I became aware that I was in a big black room that was incredibly huge and I couldn't sense the boundaries of where I couldn't see anything, but I sensed a great presence with me. I don't know if it was a god or a spirit or what, but I got the feeling from it that I hadn't done what I was supposed to and had to do it again. I couldn't ask any other questions before I faded away again and woke up in my bed..... the date was the same as it had been when I'd woken up the day I'd died, and my family came in to tell me to hurry because we had to go. I was supposed to relive that day again....... but something nagged at me that I couldn't change what would happen even if I wanted to because I didn't know if I was supposed to or not. I was supposed to relive it again, but I didn't know if that meant dying again or changing the outcome.

All the way up until we were approaching the fork, things went the exact same and I panicked inside. I didn't want to die again and be stuck reliving such a horrific death. And at the last moment, I told my family that we HAD to go a different direction, and made them listen. The second we went the direction we hadn't picked the first time, we slid off the road into a ditch.... but no one was hurt.

I was anxious because I had changed what was supposed to happen that day, but when we returned home and I went to walk to my room (at the end of a long hallway that the washer/dryer sit in), as I walked down the hall I saw someone sitting on top of the washer watching me. As I got closer, I realized that it was me. The other me, the one who had died.

Her neck was broken and twisted kind of strangely, and bones were exposed from compound fractures. She was covered in bruises and cuts, though she didn't bleed. She was a spirit.

As my hair stood on end, I kept walking (nowhere else to go but to and past her since it was a narrow hallway), and she beckoned me closer. She didn't open her mouth to speak and I got the sense she couldn't. She had a calm expression, not happy but not negative in the slightest, waiting patiently for me to get closer.

Facing the anxiety I did when awake about acknowledging scary-looking spirits, I struggled with whether or not to just walk past her -- and just in time turned to face her. She stared into my eyes sympathetically, and beckoned for me to lean forward closer to her. I shuddered in fear as she gently placed her hands on my shoulders, and she raised her eyebrows as if asking permission to move forward. I nodded with reservations, but when she leaned forward we sort of... overlapped? and I could her hear (my) voice in my head.

She told me that I'd done the right thing, and if I could survive even my own death, then I would be fine -- that things will get better. Her time was over and I had to take over from here. She did remind me that I couldn't go back from here, but that it was how things were supposed to be. She said some other things too but I can't remember what exactly.... I wrote them down in my Book of Shadows and Spirits but don't have it here :lol:

It is rather weird and creepy to meet alternate selves 0vo Meeting an 'evil'ish shadow self would freak me out though. I can handle a physically maimed Caoimhe but one that knew all my fears and wasn't afraid to exploit them? eep

Maythen21
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 30
Zodiac:

Aprophis wrote:
Maythen21 wrote:I had a friend that initially greeted her shadow self with, "Wassup B*itch?"

She experienced one of the most beautiful and simple integrations I have ever had the priveledge to share. Mind you, her life and environment had already moved her well along this path without the assistance of ritual, but that first interaction was just priceless.
Soooooooooo....I guess her shadow self was the nice one? *runs and hides*
One of her secondary shadow selves was actually very innocent, passive, victimized, fragile... That's the one she had the most difficulty with. Vulnerability was much more difficult to accept than whatever bad *ssery the first Shadow represented.

CelticStar
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 10
My super power would be...: Anti-Gravity
Zodiac:

Haven't meet mine yet.

Do you suppose our shadow selfs have their own little world? Are we a shadow of them? I also wonder, while who we are, effects who are shadow selfs are..could the same be said that our shadow selfs determin who we could be in some way?

Aprophis
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: Endless

CelticStar wrote:Haven't meet mine yet.

Do you suppose our shadow selfs have their own little world? Are we a shadow of them? I also wonder, while who we are, effects who are shadow selfs are..could the same be said that our shadow selfs determin who we could be in some way?
Since they're the sum of our repressed feelings which reside in us, they probably don't have their own world and we also are probably not their shadows. And yes, they do determine who we could be in some way, since if we integrate them we become more complete.

Two Roads diverged in a yellow Wood and I took both, for I am Quantum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aksho Kharneth Akhash
Aksho Slaaneth K'Khaa
Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
Aksho Nurgleth Dh'Akh
Aprophis
venerated member
venerated member

Maythen21 wrote:
One of her secondary shadow selves was actually very innocent, passive, victimized, fragile... That's the one she had the most difficulty with. Vulnerability was much more difficult to accept than whatever bad *ssery the first Shadow represented.
I was that in my childhood and teens, now I'm just an uncaring bastard. I thank all the dark gods that this is behind me, painful lessons those were. 83

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aksho Kharneth Akhash
Aksho Slaaneth K'Khaa
Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
Aksho Nurgleth Dh'Akh
Aurum
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals
Zodiac:

Maythen21 wrote:
Aprophis wrote:
Maythen21 wrote:I had a friend that initially greeted her shadow self with, "Wassup B*itch?"

She experienced one of the most beautiful and simple integrations I have ever had the priveledge to share. Mind you, her life and environment had already moved her well along this path without the assistance of ritual, but that first interaction was just priceless.
Yes, I agree. I believe I have met my shadow self in my dreams several times. I find dealing with her very difficult, she is so needy and insecure.

CelticStar
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 10
My super power would be...: Anti-Gravity
Zodiac:

Aprophis wrote:
Bunni wrote: But what about the "lighter" side?

SEX originates from your animalic side... sex IS your animalic side... and it's perfectly good and fine, isn't it? Not a single thing wrong with having mind blasting sex ;)

There are many "programmed aspects" of the human psyche and being, that originate from the animalic side of us, and they are not inherently "evil" or even "dark"..
Which means with a repressed sexuality you're probably gonna have a nymphomaniac shadow self \D
Suppose if someone is naturally not sexual. Do you suppose their shadow self be different than if someone were to forcefully repress it (when they are sexual)? Or is it all a 'different path, same location/result' kind of thing?

Cell28
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 80
Spelled Number: 300
Your favorite spirit to work with: My custom Servitor
If I could be anything, I would be...: a Shapeshifter
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

Aurum wrote:
Maythen21 wrote:
Aprophis wrote:

Yes, I agree. I believe I have met my shadow self in my dreams several times. I find dealing with her very difficult, she is so needy and insecure.
Hmm, could be I've gotten to know her in my dreams too..- meaning my shadow self.. or perhaps it's just another version of me...-Idk- but boy is she different, so bossy and rude... She's always the one meeting my spirits in my dreams, and snubbing them, whereas "I" am only allowed to watch the dream-scene from some cloud X perspective (like watching a movie),wanting to tear my hair out, at her rude manners and bitter remarks..
I hope , one fine day I will be able to meet my spirits instead of her, I'm tired of watching this ungrateful chit alienating my friends. There must be a way to put her out of commission, and I hope i find it soon.. :irked:

:X ....Sorry, rant 's over..

feeling better now , lol )

Greetings,Tasha
Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

Dreamscape is one of the most powerful vessels for this kind of confrontation. Suffice it to say I, too, have encountered my 'shadow' here.. and one's shadow can manifest literally as a featureless/cloaked/concealed figure, an emotional instinct, or a direct and vivid vision of yourself in an unrecognizable, conflicting state.

The process of embracing one's shadow actually results a bit differently for everyone. All of us are considered 'DA' beings, but some of us are more darkly inclined and others have chosen a path of light - seeking a kind of energetic balance that lies 'without'.
You may meet your shadow, work with your shadow and utilize this as an empowerment of self control.. or you may come to absorb it and mold it or channel it into appropriate avenues.
You cannot escape it; all in all - sometimes it's a matter of mere acceptance, sometimes neglected or shunned..festering..devouring your sanity, some yet will want to dominate it, some will succumb.. and this affects who you allow yourself to be, what becomes of you, your outward and inward life.
Shadow is not inherently bad, though often constituting of vulnerabilities.. it's purpose and meaning is relative. The only option that will not nourish a genuine result is to ignore it.

Dionysos or Pan, the Baron Samedi, and Morpheus, are recommended deities to call upon for shadow work.

Some thoughts.

Aprophis
venerated member
venerated member

CelticStar wrote: Suppose if someone is naturally not sexual. Do you suppose their shadow self be different than if someone were to forcefully repress it (when they are sexual)? Or is it all a 'different path, same location/result' kind of thing?
Since I'm not sure there exists a naturally not sexual, since the human body is naturally wired that way on a biological level, I couldn't say. I know about asexual people where the body probably doesn't work the way it usually works, but since it's nothing that is repressed but rather nonexistant, I guess their shadow selves wouldn't be sexual.

Aksho Kharneth Akhash
Aksho Slaaneth K'Khaa
Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
Aksho Nurgleth Dh'Akh

Return to “Shadow Me”