Adelphia
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 66
Spelled Number: 666
My magical/paranormal name...: Adelphia D. Blood

Many people have come to the conclusion that the ancient Sumerian god Enki is the same being who later became known as Lucifer. This thread is to explore that connection.

Here is a bit of info to start it off:

"There are two others in the Sumerian pantheon of extreme interest: Enlil and Enki. They had the same father (Anu), but two different mothers. And guess what? These step-brothers didn't get along!

According to Sumerian texts (as detailed in Genesis of the Grail Kings [1]), Anu made a decision:

“The gods had clasped their hands together,

Had cast lots and had divided.

Anu then went up to heaven.

To Enlil the Earth was made subject.

The seas, enclosed as with a loop,

They had given to Enki, the Prince of Earth.”

Laurence Gardner points out:

“Enki was not happy about his brother’s promotion because, although Enlil was the elder of the two, his mother (Ki) was Anu’s junior sister, whereas Enki’s mother (Antu) was the senior sister. True kingship, claimed Enki, progressed as a matrilineal institution through the female line, and by this right of descent Enki maintained that he was the first born of the royal succession.”

“I am the great brother of the gods.

I am he who has been born as the first son of the divine Anu.”

Thus, through pride and envy Enki was discontent and sought to be "top dog." In this myth, we see a similarity between God being personified as the character of Enlil and Lucifer as Enki. And there is no shortage of interesting information out there depicting who did what amongst the people of earth and when. But what I find most interesting is the fact that Enki is depicted as essentially the "good guy" - the one who both created mankind as well as offered him wisdom and knowledge.

In his book, The Gods of Eden, William Bramley [2] noted,

“We therefore find Ea [Enki] as the reputed culprit who tried to teach early man (Adam) the way to spiritual freedom. This suggests that Ea intended his creation, Homo sapiens, to be suited for Earth labor, but at some point he changed his mind about using spiritual enslavement as a means.”

While Enki is credited for having created Adam and Eve, Enlil is depicted as the one who created Eden. And from a Biblical perspective, it was Enki who was the serpent in the garden offering spiritual enlightenment by offering the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. When they did eat the "forbidden fruit," it was Enlil who drove them out of the Garden. Enki then came to their aide and clothed them. Throughout the Sumerian texts, it is Enlil who is depicted as the stand-offish one who lets his people suffer. He is the one who causes the problems. Enki is depicted as the good guy, the savior, the angel of light. Wikipedia describes him:

Enki was considered a god of life and replenishment, and was often depicted with two streams of water emanating from his shoulders, one the Tigris, the other the Euphrates. Alongside him were trees symbolizing the female and male aspects of nature, each holding the female and male aspects of the 'Life Essence', which he, as apparent alchemist of the gods, would masterfully mix to create several beings that would live upon the face of the earth.

In character Enki is not a jester or trickster god, he is never a cheat, and although fooled, he is not a fool. Enki uses his magic for the good of others when called upon to help either a deity or a human. Enki is always true to his own essence as a masculine nurturer. He is fundamentally a trouble-shooter god, and avoids or disarms those who bring conflict and death to the world. He is the mediator whose compassion and sense of humor breaks and disarms the wrath of his stern half-brother, Enlil, king of the gods."
http://www.babylonrisingblog.com/Godvsgod2.html

This info came from born-again fundamentalist Christian slanted material, which has some good research within it! lol. I have other material but this was open on my desktop already :) Please contribute or share your thoughts.

"You can call me 'little sunshine'."-Crowley

Adelphia D. Blood
Sorcerer, Psychic Investigator
brolasta
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 53
If I could be anything, I would be...: Slayer
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Again, very interesting Adelphia. Some people say Enki is Satan and Enlil Jehova, I have no idea at all.

Zelda
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: changes day to day
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Thank you for posting that. It's all so interesting. The more I've studied, the more I suspected that Lucifer got a bad rap, as history is written by the victors. Different perspectives can be hard to find.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. ~Cicero
quintai
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 11
Spelled Number: 3

Everything you mentioned is roughly the same as I've heard/read as well. It's interesting to see the same stories as told from different perspectives.

Someone else here on the CH forum (who was it now? :think: ) had also brought up the idea that the RHP is dedicated to connecting with the divine, while the LHP is dedicated to transcending it--hence why many Luciferian sects focus on self-improvement and transcendence. Something about how the Christian view of God deals with an Immortal entity directly involved with our universe and the creation of mankind, who doesn't necessarily want us to know or believe other entities besides him exist outside time and space.

I still find it fascinating how the story is told so differently depending on who's telling it. I grew up in a fundie right-wing household, but I could never figure out why desiring knowledge and enlightenment (to "be like God") was so vile an act that it cursed woman to serve man and threw them both from paradise. And then my parents would send me to school so I could gain knowledge and enlightenment. ::facepalm::

I now have a distrust for deities in general so I can't help but think the snake/Enki had his own plan. Still, I find it interesting that the snake is so feared and reviled in Western culture due to its offer to enlighten a woman, while the God that cast them both out of Eden "lest they also eat from the tree of life and live forever" is worshiped. Why worship a being that essentially just cut your lifespan to a fraction of what it had been, all for desiring knowledge?

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

Also the parallel in 'Lucifer's very origin; Lucifer is the latin form for Eosphoros/Phosphorus.

Phosphoros had a twin brother Hesperos, embodying the evening star. In that, there is an inherent duality accounting for such a counterpart, and just as what Enki and Enlil represent.
They were later equated as the same astronomical entity, as of course both the morning and evening star are manifestations of Venus. Interesting to note.

Therefore the twins of light and dark theory is quite consistent in myth. We also have Prometheus and Epimetheus in a similar position.

StarsmacK
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 14
Spelled Number: 30
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire.
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Akacia
Zodiac:

Excellent and informative post.

There is also a theory that the Sumerian god Enki is actually an extra-terrestrial. This ties in with the theory that Satan is/was an extra-terrestrial. A Satanist community known as the "Joy of Satan" believes this to be true.

http://www.joyofsatan.com

This is the first website that began my journey down the LHP rabbit hole. Personally, my spiritual beliefs are not the same as those who belong to Joy of Satan. But, this was the first website that suggested to me the very interesting possibility...that perhaps the identity of Lucifer is NOT what most people think it is.

Bold lettering for a reason? Now we're on to something ;)

§†år § m å ¢K ☆
Aurora Magick
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 24
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Interesting. I always had ties to Enki, now it makes more sense as to why Lucifer might've appeared to me.

(btw, thank you again for your awesome spellwork :) )

Adelphia
acclaimed member
acclaimed member

Brolasta - one might even say, Enki is Lucifer and Enlil is Satan.

Zelda, thanks for asking for this thread to be created, and you make such an excellent point about history being by the victors! Something we should all bear in mind when assessing and evaluating religiously slanted information.

Quintai, thanks for sharing and I like the way you think. I agree the snake has his own plan, part of which at least would seem to be to foil the plans of the demi-urge. I agree about the fear of the snake that has been implanted through religion, while in more ancient traditions the snake deity was and is revered. Bringing out some of the info on this would be an interesting addition to this thread.

Noc, twins of light and dark, morning star and evening star, all of what you mentioned is very helpful and thanks for sharing. It does make a lot of sense, this duality and it being represented in various traditions. The ancient Jewish religion does not have a Satan, and says all evil comes from God, this is pure monotheism, which is an interesting approach and seems to be based on unifying two or more deities into one, as their deity's name is of course, Yahweh who is said to be the demi-urge in Gnostic thought.

In personal experience Yahweh (Enlil) is the oppressor and Lucifer (Enki) is the liberator.

AstralD, yes it would make sense then with your connection to Enki that you would have heard from Lucifer.

Starsmack! Thanks for bringing that up. About the Joy of Satan - and the rabbit hole of the LHP indeed - I did first get introduced to Enki through browsing their site 3 or 4 years ago. I did not become involved with them and only returned to their site years later after having had my own experience with the Goetic demons, to be shocked by how their priestess conveys them (at how off she is in so many ways). Researching them, I found them to be a scary cult with nazi connections. See here:

http://forum.rickross.com/read.php?12,55491,55958

I didn't want to bring up Joy of Satan because I didn't want to promote it, it is very seductive and has some truth in there indeed. Which is what makes it more dangerous.

Hope to hear some more info being shared here on these topics. :thumbup:

Adelphia D. Blood
Adelphia
acclaimed member
acclaimed member

I wanted to add another reference for the Joy of Satan group, if you were interested in the sources of the plagiarized material that is promoted there, this gives the breakdown of the original source material:

http://web.archive.org/web/201001132018 ... edietrich/
Overall, the Joy of Satan site seems promising to so many new seekers of occult and Satanism. it appeals to this audience because the ideas in the website were taken from professional authors. Maxine misleads people by making them think that she is knowledgeable about the occult, so that she can collect money for her neo-nazi organization. Not even one bit of effort was given to reveal the sources of her material. Its more convenient for her to hide this, so that the members of her group trust in her self-proclaimed authority. This accounts for the popularity of her website. People like the sources and techniques that she writes about, but they do not realize that the majority of it is cut and pasted from other authors.

Adelphia D. Blood
laurababy0105
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Spelled Number: 1
Your favorite spirit to work with: Don't know yet...
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

Ok I went to that site. 20 seconds in I got an overwhelming feeling that I want nothing to do with it. I have never had a feeling like that about a website.

Beauty is often found in the darkest places.

Return to “Black Arts”