Adelphia
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 66
Spelled Number: 666
My magical/paranormal name...: Adelphia D. Blood

creepyhollows wrote:In general you should avoid using any type of media (movie, TV, fiction book) as research material. :( Movies are meant to entertain, be over the top, be completely false or very loosely based on fact. You're not going to glean much useful information in using a movie as a source of assistance.
:thumbup: I'm not sure it that is the impression I conveyed? At any rate, Totally agreed about people not using movies as research material. Although as a researcher and writer I also know that when I am researching and aiming towards writing a fictional account that is occult-themed, you can bet that my valid and legitimate research goes into the movie or story.

The movie when I watched it raised interesting topics for discussion, as occult-themed and paranormal movies may tend to do, if they are any good. I also caught a distinct occult reference in it which is linked with the dark lord so I take it this movie was made with him in mind and that is a little clue within. Although there were more obvious clues which made that pretty apparent.

Sean, thanks for passing on the oral tradition from your Irish ancestors! That makes a lot of sense.

Ed, I don't know, I just feel something is off but I am undecided either way, about my sineater. The info I got from him is potentially valid, yet I don't know how any sineater could be a happy seeming entity, even if enlightened, most sineaters described are quite weighed down by the work they do.

Also mainly the proof is in the pudding and I don't feel any evidence of my sins having been eaten.

Here's a quote from Magnolia in another thread about human sineaters:
The Sin-Eaters of the Catholic, Protestant and other similarly Christian faiths are humans who have received DIVINE presence to be able to consume the sins of the those they are divinely led to. Of course sometimes "divine" meant by order of the church (in most cases the Catholic church). However, the name "sin-eater" is, again, one of those all-encompassing monikers meant to help you immediately understand the divine human or the entity of other faiths that eats, devours or removes sin. There are different entities from different cultures that perfom the same task that are known by different names but are all essentially sin eaters. There is a lot to the sin-eater and like an onion you can peel away the layers for hours and each layer reveals more and more.

I think, again thanks to Hollywood, the most commonly known sin-eater is the one of Catholic-based faith. The actual texts on sin-eaters kept by the Catholic church reveals that sin-eaters divinely possessed for that purpose follows bloodlines and is generational dating back thousands of years.

One common thread among them all is that they are on the lighter side of Dark Arts.
http://creepyhollows.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... 46&p=50706

I noticed that an elder there was also reflecting on a movie which had a sineater in it, I haven't heard of the movie though it sounds a bit interesting.

"You can call me 'little sunshine'."-Crowley

Adelphia D. Blood
Sorcerer, Psychic Investigator
edsphinx
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: edsphinx
Zodiac:

Adelphia, was trying to download the movie to watch it complete and found out that there is two movies about Sin Eaters,

The Order (2003)
The Last Sin Eater (2007)

Which one of them was the one that you was talking about, I'm going to get both tonight and will try to make my own research after that, because I want to get a Sin eater in the next months but want to be full documented about them before of the purchase, may I ask who is the eBay seller from who you got yours?

Dark Blessings,
edsphinx
Turtlefae
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 40
Spelled Number: 135
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

I was going to mention SE's listing but I see everyone knows about it! When I read SE's listing for a sin eater, I was a little shocked, I had no idea sin eaters had such a tragic history. I found the description very tragic and disturbing, I didn't know sin eaters were like that. I was almost going to get a sin eater/soul cleanser from Lisa but I'm glad I didn't. After reading SE's listing, I feel like it would be extremely selfish of me to have a sin eater feeding off my negative energy and filling themselves up with even more negative energy and memories. In the SE listing, it said something about sin eaters being so filled up with other people's negativity/negative memories/trauma that they don't even remember their own selves, it's really sad. I wouldn't want to be a part of that and contribute in giving a sin eater any more negativity to fill themselves. I don't know, I just feel put off by it. I wonder why CH never mentioned those things in their sin eater listings/encyclopedia? I used to think that sin eaters just ate your negativity "for lunch" like converting it to positive energy or something but I find it very disturbing now to know that they actually KEEP it in them forever, just being consumed by other people's negativity, it's really tragic and I wouldn't want to be a part of that.

Now I'm wondering about Volkhs and psy vampires. I've read people mention how their volkh's eat their negative energy and the encyclopedia mentions volkhs devouring evil and malicious energies. Do Volkhs keep the negativity inside them like sin eaters do? What's the difference? And I've also heard about psy vampires feeding off someone's negative energy, again, what's the difference between that and a sin eater eating off someone's negative energy? I don't get it.

Adelphia
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 66
Spelled Number: 666
My magical/paranormal name...: Adelphia D. Blood

Hi Edsphinx, sorry I missed that - it was The Order. Excellent movie.

Chelly, interesting thoughts and questions. I'm not sure exactly how the volkh works. And with the sineaters, there are actually various types. Some may process the energy differently than the classical human type. It's an interesting investigation to be sure. Perhaps in the case of the sineater who keeps all the negative energy inside themselves, a good alternative might be a constructed sineater. That's something that would be interesting to develop or it may even exist already. Then there is also the sineater spell, I believe, through CH.

"You can call me 'little sunshine'."-Crowley

Adelphia D. Blood
Sorcerer, Psychic Investigator
quintai
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 11
Spelled Number: 3

Did you happen to find out of it's a sin-eater or something else, Adelphia? I'm very interested in this thread, and was curious.

1ncredible
neophyte
neophyte

::bump::

“One is only limited by one's imagination!!!”

“One should not dismiss anything without studying the subject profoundly!!!”
(1nfinite)

Return to “Human”