Chaos Magick: What it is and How it is done

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

Wanted to give this a bump. I find this practice to be an important, evolutionary form which we can all effectively apply using the world around us.
Also a potent reminder.. so much power is held by our very consciousness and WILL, inspiration is the spark and energy the fuel that brings desire to life. We each have the capacity to manifest what we envision, and through all avenues at our disposal - there is no limitation but that which we place upon ourselves.

Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

Noctifera wrote:Let's shoot the elephant in the room and get it over with already.
Not that it's so much an elephant in this room, but in 'the' room..yeah.

I notice this has gone undiscussed around here, no one really knows what it is, and likely because it's not a formalized system of any sort. It's entirely unique but it really isn't at all, it is everything it isn't..you're working with a paradox in and of itself, and that's the point. Or is it? Is there a point?

Welcome to Chaos Magick.
Where the hell is this? The most innovative magick out there and nobody cares. Lol?

Basically a practitioner of chaos magick believes in anything necessary to achieve their goal.
Before you speculate how 'wrong' this is, or ineffective it must be, consider the nature of scientific study. Science is a lot to do with experimentation and quantification. Scientists may use proven methods or established elements to meet their goals, but they also have to mix things up in order to find the answers which elude them. Any good scientist should be willing to throw out all that they think they know in favour of advancement. Magick is as technical but a little more complex, what works for one may not always work for another..there is power in consistency but a single method isn't going to reach everywhere you can imagine, so you have to be willing to get your hands a little dirty, apply your creativity.

You cannot, however..necessarily jump in just anywhere and get results. It's not this frivolous ordeal. There is an element of practice to this, as one must familiarize themself with the notion behind chaos magick and become acquainted with personal organization, personal responsibility, and have the capacity to believe in your applications. It takes work to achieve a most fertile state for magick, no matter how you're doing it.

Some seem to act like it's a certain thing, they seek to discover it's secrets as if there's a book to be read that'll explain everything. Not so. I mean some might argue there is, but none of them would direct you to the same source.
It has it's specific 'origins', in sigil magick for one which is why Austin Osman Spare is revered among this crowd..but never really 'existed' until a few ideas came together (Crowley's influence is as present) and the title was coined..it's not a title of specifity, the key is in 'CHAOS'.
What is Chaos? It is a riddle, an illusion, the relativity of the so-called universe, the nonsense and oversense..Chaos is the opposite of Order, meaning it is formless until it has form and otherwise is formless all over again (kind of like how an atom only takes shape upon measurement). There is unpredictability by design, meaning the result is calculated while the ingredients or alignment in the 'spark' are not. So therefore, it isn't to say there is no rhyme or reason, because there has to be..magick is all about intent, it's our very intent and will which controls the whole thing.
'Magick' can happen spontaneously as well, I believe that's still of the chaotic persuasion, but as it's a spawn of collective conscious or unconscious you never know what will come of it (though synchs can indeed be detected if you pay mind).

Possible Misconceptions:

Isn't this just like eclecticism?
Maybe, on steroids. But no, it is not. You may or may not choose to consistently believe in anything utilized in your work, or if it proves consistent quite likely you're not using all parts of it. The aim is to make things happen.

Chaos Magick is black magick.
No.

CHaos Magick is dangerous.
Not inherently so. No more dangerous than any other magick you could practice if you're not smart about it.

Chaos Magick is an ancient thing going back to so and so times and wielded by demons or malicious entities and the like.
No! "Chaotic" magick exists beyond 'CHaos Magic', it is not the same thing. Chaotic, destructive powers can be wielded and have since forever..but do not mistake this for that or blanketly attribute the more terrifying potential to Chaos Magick, which is essentially a modern development (think decades not centuries). Chaos Magick may or may not be dark or destructive, the chaos of it is in it's constant paradigmal shifting or core systemlessness.

Chaos Magick is disrespectful to all established faiths and systems of magick before it.
Absolutely not. Individually speaking, a practitioner is going to love these systems for their inspiration, and anything else they offer. Beyond that it's simply a matter of preference. As for it's presence as a whole, chaos magick could have emerged out of any view/mixed views but it's meant as a liberation of occultists from forced ideals, and an invitation to those who never imagined involving themselves in magick - an alternative, a new perspective.
On that note you can't paint all with the same brush, each involved in this manner of magick are still going to have their unique tastes, opinions and personal truths/inclinations.

Next - How it is done...

Well you have an idea of what it is, and that's actually how it is done as well. So all I'm going to do is point you to the most basic method (altogether as intensive as your desire): Sigils.

What is a sigil? It is a symbol of sorts that represents a certain will you wish to manifest. It can be as simple as wanting to find a penny on the road; as complex as creating a tulpa.
Really you can create it however you want, but there is a known and suggested outline for simplicity's sake...
Write out what it is you are looking to manifest, something with fair enough probability. Like "I want a stray cat to call my own".
Now eliminate the vowels, and eliminate repeating consonants..you're left with: WNT SR C L M
Now take the letters and piece them into some sort of wild design or modest symbol..you've got a unique sigil for a very specific desire.
You can include it in any sort of typical ritual setup. What you're going to do is invest energy into this sigil, believe in it and spend time with it. Place it/copy it wherever you deem appropriate in strengthening it's significance. You're bending reality.

For more on the subject there are quite a few texts and articles out there; some notables are Phil Hine, Peter J Carroll, Robert Anton Wilson, Grant Morrison.. but more than that there are countless sources of relevance which many of you will be aware of already (whether you realise or not) if involved in the occult and otherwise.

So there you have it, that's all folks.

LP,
I would add C. Howard Hinton & A.L. Kitselman
S

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
Nightraven
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 40
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fae
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

The beauty with Chaos magick is that it can be adapted to fit within any system of magick. The idea is to bend your beliefs in order to achieve a goal. If you have to dress like a Knight when working with magick..do it. There are no rules in chaos magick..no hard one at least. You can jump from belief system to belief system without no trouble. You use your beliefs as tools..when finished..you can discard them.

Sigil Magick is powerful. Some other ways of doing sigil magick include forming your intent and then just writing down a sigil spontaniously without looking at what you are writing. Putting this aside..without looking at it..the goal is to surpass your conscious mind and hit the subconscious. Put the sigil somewhere for a few days and forget it. To charge it..you pick it up and glance at it quick..then get rid of it. The idea is to be in a state of "no-mind" when charging the sigil. Another popular method to charge a sigil is at the peak of orgasm.

Another way to charge one is to place it where other people can see it thereby lending their energy to it.

Phil.

Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore-
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."- Poe
shunrick
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: shapeshifter
Zodiac:

nice post. thnx for sharing

Life is a travel where wisdom and knowledge is your guide. The bonds you make are the pitstop but your destination is the afterlife.
AmnesiaReminisced
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: volkh
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Bahliayree
Zodiac:

excellent thread. i'm going to try this. :thumbup:

AmnR

SAGE LYON AZURE

Get some R&R. Everyday, Receive new truth and Reunite yourself.
Aurum
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals
Zodiac:

I have a question I hope someone can aswer. I have been planning on fashioning a spell to help my neurotic ADD dog. Chaos magick seems like a natural thing to do, considering his nature. I was thinking of creating a sigil, charging it and then offering it to him to eat. Of course I would use small, thin piece of paper and draw the sigil with a charcoal so it is safe to eat. Would this be a good idea? I mean the eating part, somehow it seems like a natural thing to do but I can be wrong. I wouldn´t want my spell to backfire.

Morag Rockwind
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Don't have one yet but willing to learn it.
Zodiac:

Chaos magick is basically you do your own thing. It is not tied down with any rules like the Left or the Right hand path is. You can do what you want, how you want it.

darklordmidnight
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 47
Your favorite spirit to work with: Servitors
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My magical/paranormal name...: kelistarian
Zodiac:

Love this post, however i would like to say if you are just focusing on "real" sources of magick, you are missing out on a lot. With Chaos you can incorporate fictional practices. Summon fictional charactors. You want to talk to Harry Dresden? Summon him. Or maybe bugs bunny. Have at it. It is your absolute belief in the thing you are doing. That is what is important.

"I may be a Construct, But I Feel, Love, and Want. Does That Not Make Me A Living Being?"

"7 Years Have Gone, It Can No Longer Be Left Undone
The Candle Must Be Burn Again, And Pain
Must Follow the Unholy Flame
So Burn...Burn...Burn
And Free the Spirit From Its Chain"
NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Everyone
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself.
My magical/paranormal name...: KITTY!!!!!!!!
Zodiac:

Why not make a dog treats, baked into the shape of the sigil, or pasted with a sauce of a different color, shaped like the sigil, on top.

http://www.cesarsway.com/dogcare/nutrit ... Dog-Treats

When I was first working with the runes, I would bake cookies or cupcakes; the cookies were in the shapes of the runes, and the cupcakes, I would decorate with piped icing in the shape of the rune. I would really concentrate, pouring power into the rune as I built it, and then also as I ate it. It was... interesting.

I also drew the runes on my skin with ink.

There's absolutely no reason you can't do that with sigils, too.

Bright blessings...
Selqet

"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
Aurum
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals
Zodiac:

Selqet wrote:Why not make a dog treats, baked into the shape of the sigil, or pasted with a sauce of a different color, shaped like the sigil, on top.

http://www.cesarsway.com/dogcare/nutrit ... Dog-Treats

When I was first working with the runes, I would bake cookies or cupcakes; the cookies were in the shapes of the runes, and the cupcakes, I would decorate with piped icing in the shape of the rune. I would really concentrate, pouring power into the rune as I built it, and then also as I ate it. It was... interesting.

I also drew the runes on my skin with ink.

There's absolutely no reason you can't do that with sigils, too.

Bright blessings...
Selqet

Thank you, that is a great suggestion and definitely something I could do.

Return to “EXPLANATIONS”