NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Everyone
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself.
My magical/paranormal name...: KITTY!!!!!!!!
Zodiac:

First of all, if you're reading this, and thinking, "Wow, I want to be Chosen, maybe I'm being Called by the Morrighan!" that may, or may not be the case. I do know this. While She will work with anyone who wishes to work with Her, the people that she Calls, She changes. I may work with other Immortals. I may even Belong to a few, but She is my Goddess, and there is no Other.

Suffice it to say, however, that IF you are truly being Called by Her... you will KNOW. It will not be an "I fancy THAT," thing, it will be an absolute. She doesn't do halfsies - you will not be able to question whether or not you are being Called because She will make it absolutely clear to you. You CAN say no, but... while She is rather misunderstood, when you are standing before Her... you will NOT misunderstand Her at all... and you probably will not walk away.

The Morrighan's Children mostly come in four basic flavors. They are actually called by the four sacred Tools of Irish mythology. There are Swords, Spears, Grails, and Stones. Each type of Calling has a specific basic personality and job - again, falling in line with Irish legend.

The Stones are the base of power for all the other Children. Stones are all tied to the Stone of Destiny, or Lia Fáil - the stone that, if you were the King of Ireland, would cry out with joy to the four corners of Ireland when you touched it. They are the Earth, and the power of Sovereignty rests in their hands. Essentially, they are Oracles, Sybils, but also Priestesses and Priests. Druids are often Stones, and in a Stone's hands rests the work of passing down knowledge to teach the young (The Bardic), especially future leaders, the laying on of Geas (The Mage), judging criminals (The Judge), and most importantly, declaring Kings and leaders. They are the power behind the throne, and the wisdom of the Land.

The Swords of the Morrighan are the leaders themselves. There are actually four types of sword: Fragarach – The Sword of the god of the seas Manannan mac Lir and later Lugh, said to be a weapon that no armour could stop; Caladbolg – The two-handed sword of Fergus mac Róich, said to make a circle like an arc of rainbow when swung, and to have the power to cleave the tops from the hills; Claíomh Solais – The Sword of Nuada the king of the gods in Irish mythology - in legend, the sword glowed with the light of the sun and was irresistible in battle, having the power to cut his enemies in half; and Moralltach (Great Fury) - a sword belonging to Aengus, which left no stroke nor blow unfinished at the first trial. Aengus eventually gave to his foster-son Diarmuid Ua Duibhne along with a second sword of less power, the Beagalltach (Little Fury).

The Swords, as you see, are battle leaders, while the Stones are the power behind the Throne. One of the Swords only belongs to Kings - though those kings may only become such leaders through the Great Marriage, the binding of a King to the Land. Just because a Stone declares you worthy of being King doesn't mean you don't have work to do. The other three kinds of Sword are all battle leaders - battles on water, air battles, and fire battles. Water battle Swords go through everything in their path like butter. Air battle Swords see Truth. Fire battle Swords never stop what they start, and whatever YOU start, they will, By Goddess, FINISH.

Swords are Intellect as well as Battle - they are sneaky, they are observant, they are mysterious, they are always thinking, always aware of multiple perspectives, and while they may seem rough, they use their heads more than they use their muscles. They, like you would expect of a leader, may APPEAR to be quick-tempered, but underneath, they are calculating all the options and are almost always more than three steps ahead of the game - and they look after their People with all the care that a Husband of the Land should, which means that while they are War Leaders, they are less likely to jump into battle and more likely to attempt a diplomatic, quick-witted solution first... but if you push them, you're going to end up on the end of their blades.

Which brings us to Spears. Spears are the zealots, the fire of the Irish made manifest. They are the ones who will throw themselves into battle without thought, without caution, and they will revel in it. There is a fierce joy, a purity about the Spears, that you find in no other Tool. There are three kinds of Spear: Gáe Bulg – The Spear of Cúchulainn, made from the bones of a sea monster - these Spears are the ones most likely to give their lives for The Cause; The Spear of Lugh, the champion of the gods in Irish Mythology - these ones are the ones who are usually at the front of the Army; and Gáe Buide and Gáe Derg - The Spears of Diarmuid Ua Duibhne, given to him by Aengus, which could inflict wounds that none can recover from - these Spears finish off what's left of you or your forces. As you can see, Spears are the hammer the Swords use for a problem that diplomacy and trickery cannot resolve... and they LIKE to be used as such. There's nothing so depressing as a Spear with no one to fight.

However, as each of the above plays on the previous, the picture would not be complete without the Grails. Actually more associated with a Dish than an actual Grail, the name has stuck - though the actual job of the Grails remains the same as the original Cauldrons and Dishes of Celtic legend. These jobs are to Feed the People, and to Heal the sick and injured, sometimes even restoring to life those that have passed in battle - though those that are raised are forever struck dumb, after. Grails are the prosperity of the People, the health of the people. Essentially, a Grail can be a battery for others, an unending source of energy, and they can heal even mortal wounds, given the right circumstances.

These are the Morrighan's children. If you are Called... which one will you be?
Mad blessings...
Lemon

"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
gargoyles_path
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 25
Your favorite spirit to work with: Not sure yet!
If I could be anything, I would be...: ?
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: ?

So much great information~!!! The way you explain and lay all of the information out makes it more understandable. It's great that you have found your goddess :) I'm still searching out my own path but I know it is to be a Celtic witch. And apparently my classification is psychic according to creepyhollows. I adore the Irish and Celtic deities!

You mentioned that the Morrigan takes worship seriously (understandably), but do you also follow any of the other gods you mentioned? I assume you would put Morrigan first, but does she require singular devotion from her followers? I'm just curious :)

What do you personally think of the Fomorians such as Balor, and the Fir Bolg such as Eochaid and Sreng? Have you ever come across any of them? I'm quite curious about them.

NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

No, I don't follow any of the other deities I mentioned. I did try, for a while, to work with Manannan mac Lir, but we didn't click, and He actually sent me to a Welsh deity, Bucca Gan, instead. That turned out to work much better.

I don't feel that She requires singular devotion - actually my feeling from Her has always been, "Eh, whenever you get around to it, dear, I'm in no hurry..." She's very easygoing with me, very much a gentle, patient Mother - despite Her penchant for washing the clothes of Her should-be lovers in the Ford and feeding them dog meat before their final battles, She's always been kind to me. Perhaps because unlike Cuchulain, I didn't say No three times. lol I don't feel I'm Her equal, but I can say She TREATS me like one. It's comforting, to be so accepted. I'm not sure if it's LOVE, but I do know I'm cared for and taken care OF, and that... that means a lot. But She doesn't mind when I work with the other deities who have Called me. Hers was the last alter I set up... She just didn't push the issue. My other Patrons and Patronesses are much more pushy.

As for the Fomorians and the Fir Bolg, honestly I have no connection to any of them. It's not surprising though... I have too much Sidhe in my blood to ever be acceptable to the races we wiped out.

Mad blessings...
Lemon

"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
Instrument of the end fire083
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 28
Your favorite spirit to work with: Anything willing
If I could be anything, I would be...: High Elven
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Melindrose
Zodiac:

I would undoubtedly be a grail, it describes what I have been for a large portion of my life.

All my freestyle dancing is essentially magic
To be the left hand of a god.
NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Fire... As am I. :)

TheFancifulFox
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 78
Spelled Number: 250
Your favorite spirit to work with: Mine
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Fox
Zodiac:

Fantastic intro! I know very little about all of that, so this was quite informative! Your format was brilliant, and very easy to follow. All of the "tools" sound so... necessary. I can see why very few people would say no to her when they are called. They all have their place, their purpose, a need to fill. I would say I could see myself a grail, or would rather be one than the others. But, such sentiments are irrelevant because, in a hypothetical situation where a person is called... it's not a "oh, I want this job" as it is a "this is what you are... hop to it." XD

The foolish hurry. The smart wait. The wise go into the garden.

starfire
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 125
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
Zodiac:

Love this post!!!!! Very interesting!!!! There are a few of the Celtic gods I do love and more I will be getting in my keep as they do call to me, but my main ones are the Greek for I have Greek in the bloodlines and Norse, which I do feel is in the bloodlines as well!!!

Through a pass life reading that was done on me years ago, there is a Celtic connection with my bloodline on my father's side, his grandfather came from Ireland and married a Native American, so that is in there as well!!!

However I work with the ones that have made themselves heard to me, a few of the Egyptian ones have come to me pretty strongly and that is through some pass bloodlines in the family as well!!! Yep a mutt here!!!

I am still doing some research on this!!!!

starfire ::dragons::

Keeper of many spirits, who I suspect are keeping me instead!!!

Keeper of Thor, my friend and protector
NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Foxy... exactly. lol

Also... I've noticed that... the face She shows to people differs, depending on what they are. Swords, She's very strict with, very blunt with... She's not afraid to be a drill sergeant and yell at them for a few hours every now and then when they've been particularly thick. lol

With me, however, She's very gentle and healing.

With stones I would imagine you get Her earthy side, and with spears... they're so devoted to Her, so immersed in Her, I think She gives that back to them. I don't think She's as harsh with the spears as She has to be with the Swords... I mean... the Swords are meant to lead... the spears are really cannon fodder - they go into a battle without forethought, and they usually go with nothing but a weapon... it's not like the swords who go armed and armored to the teeth. Since they're so willing to give their lives for Her, I think She's MUCH more gentle with them.

When I was writing this... She stood next to me. If I wrote something She wanted me to talk about, and She didn't like the way I'd expressed it, She'd delete it, and make me start over. Just that section (She knows my frustration threshold), but She was VERY specific about what I wrote, and what I didn't, and HOW IT WOULD BE WRITTEN. lol

So She can be very blunt, and very strict. But She's also saved my life four times. She takes care of her own - She's ULTRA-protective, even though She can be harsh when you need harsh.

Anyway... I'm done waxing poetic and mushy... lol
Mad blessings...
Lemon

darklordmidnight
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 47
Your favorite spirit to work with: Servitors
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My magical/paranormal name...: kelistarian
Zodiac:

Truely insightful, I enjoyed reading it. Keep em coming. YAY

"I may be a Construct, But I Feel, Love, and Want. Does That Not Make Me A Living Being?"

"7 Years Have Gone, It Can No Longer Be Left Undone
The Candle Must Be Burn Again, And Pain
Must Follow the Unholy Flame
So Burn...Burn...Burn
And Free the Spirit From Its Chain"
moonstone
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Masheba
If I could be anything, I would be...: Shapeshifter
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Fawn Moonstone Clover
Zodiac:

It was brought to my attention through a very lovely Lemon that was helping me work some things out....that I am a bardic stone.

I cannot wait to step into this greatness!

Blessings,

Moonstone

Moonstone

In western lands beneath the Sun the flowers may rise in Spring, the trees may bud, the waters run, the merry finches sing. Or there maybe 'tis cloudless night and swaying beeches bear the Elven-stars as jewels white amid their branching hair. Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars for ever dwell: I will not say the day is done nor bid the stars farewell. ROTK

Return to “Immortals - Specific”