The History of Goety – Shamanism, Witchcraft, Sorcery, & ...

Adelphia
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 66
Spelled Number: 666
My magical/paranormal name...: Adelphia D. Blood

Greetings all,

I just published an article on my blog I wanted to share. It goes into the the commonality of magickal practice (Goety) found in Catholicism, Hoodoo, Santeria, and the grimoiric tradition. It's long and easier to read on my blog so I'll just post the opening part and a link:

Definitions of GOETY

Etymology: Latin goetia, from Greek γοητεια ‘witchcraft’, from γοης ‘sorceror’.

Noun: (archaic) witchcraft, demonic magic, necromancy

Go"e*ty\, n. [Gr. ? witchcraft, to bewitch, sorcerer: cf. F. go['e]tie.]

Invocation of evil spirits;witchcraft. [Obs.] –Hallywell.

Goety is the art of the sorcerer, the practice of working magick with demons and other spirits, which is also classically known as witchcraft.

"In classical times, "witchcraft" was a direct reference to working with spirit Familiars, or the performance of necromancy." (Leitch, Aaron. Secrets of the Magical Grimoires. p. 13). Leitch further clarifies that classical scholars used the term necromancy to label any work that involves summoning of spirits, whether spirits of the dead, or demonic.

The classical definition of witchcraft is the same as that of conjurer, practitioner of the natural arts, or sorcerer. This is the same as what we understand today as shamanism – a shaman is a human who has built a relationship with spirits, and who has the ability to journey through the realms and/or evoke entities from other realms into our own, in order to perform workings through interacting with gods and spirits directly.

Shamanism, witchcraft, sorcery, conjure – it all comes from the same roots – the practice of magic and workings done through the collaboration of a human with the deities and familiar spirits he or she forms ongoing relationships with, often through traveling the astral and spiritual realms, and through conjuring the spirits directly into our realm.

This kind of magic can be seen throughout many cultures and time periods, it seems to be universal. Whether the spirits are demons, angels, nature spirits, the dead, loa, or others, there is evidence that many spirits from many realms and at varying levels of power have always interacted with humanity. We cannot deny this. In fact some believe that the most profound revelations and discoveries are bestowed into mortal minds directly by the most powerful spirits themselves. I see the mind as a psychic instrument that is able to both transmit and receive. It has been established that geniuses like Tesla or profound minds like Socrates have often had lives filled with spirit contact and were guided by otherworldly forces into their inventions, discoveries, and teachings. They were able to receive insights directly from these powerful spirits which changed the world.

Many ancient traditions speak of entities, called Watchers and Fallen Angels in the Judeo-Christian tradition, who came to earth to teach humans the concepts that shaped civilization. These same entities, beings of advanced intelligence from other realms, are still teaching us and performing magical workings with us today. In my own practice one of the spirits I work directly with is Azazel, who is head of the spirits or demons known as Watchers.

"The schools of magick or "natural philosophy" (that is, alchemy, astrology and spirit-working) were considered among the respectable sciences from the earliest of times. The medieval and Renaissance mages… were also physicists, doctors, astronomers, biologists, mathematicians, philosophers, architects, navigators, etc… In truth, the men who created most of our modern fields of scientific study were adept mages as well (such as Sir Isaac Newton, who was in fact an alchemist)… Not only was magick respected among the sciences, it was actually considered the highest and most sacred science." (Lietch, p.28)

...cont'd

http://castaspell.info/goety/

"You can call me 'little sunshine'."-Crowley

Adelphia D. Blood
Sorcerer, Psychic Investigator
Nightraven
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 40
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fae
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

A very well written article that makes a person think. Wonderful stuff! :thumbup:

Phil.

Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore-
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."- Poe
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

Very Good Post! I am adding one addition/correction as follows:

One thing to remember is that while Wicca is a legitimate pagan practice and spirituality, the word "witch" does not come from "wicca". The word "witch" comes from 2- Old & Late Anglo-Saxon. The "Wit" comes from Witan and Wtangemot" which means the "inner highest instincts" used for surival and knowledge of life. the "CH" came into AS from OF (Old French or perhaps Ocatanian) its meaning was "hooked onto" something else...but alone its meaning was "Wild Woman"...."Seer Woman", etc....so when these are put together, they mean something along the lines of The Organized Group Wisdom of Wilde (as in Nature) Women. The earliest use of the word “Witch” is the word “Wyche” and as far as I now this word is on a family document of my family and the document dates ca. 1250 AD on the Isle of Wight…Ana later relative Cing Witgar (approx 495-515 AD) or Wight was a member of the “de Wyche” family and they were mostly interested at that time – of “water rights” …so the oldest known wyche group is still alive and actively practicing in Massachusetts & New York State. LOL but true.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
laboshka
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 130
Spelled Number: 105
Your favorite spirit to work with: All Races
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Laboshka
Zodiac:

From both post I could take a lot of info, it is good to know more about what we are...

The only way to walk through walls, the barriers of space, is through the voids that we create between here and that place.
Adelphia
acclaimed member
acclaimed member

CaiyrosArlenLeStrang wrote:Very Good Post! I am adding one addition/correction as follows:

One thing to remember is that while Wicca is a legitimate pagan practice and spirituality, the word "witch" does not come from "wicca". The word "witch" comes from 2- Old & Late Anglo-Saxon. The "Wit" comes from Witan and Wtangemot" which means the "inner highest instincts" used for surival and knowledge of life. the "CH" came into AS from OF (Old French or perhaps Ocatanian) its meaning was "hooked onto" something else...but alone its meaning was "Wild Woman"...."Seer Woman", etc....so when these are put together, they mean something along the lines of The Organized Group Wisdom of Wilde (as in Nature) Women. The earliest use of the word “Witch” is the word “Wyche” and as far as I now this word is on a family document of my family and the document dates ca. 1250 AD on the Isle of Wight…Ana later relative Cing Witgar (approx 495-515 AD) or Wight was a member of the “de Wyche” family and they were mostly interested at that time – of “water rights” …so the oldest known wyche group is still alive and actively practicing in Massachusetts & New York State. LOL but true.
Excellent notes on the origins of the word witch and it's history, thanks Caiyros. Fascinating about the earliest use of the word witch on your family document from 1250 CE on the Isle of Wight... is that the image you posted? I zoomed in on it and was unable to read it. Yes, fully agreed on your points. Witchcraft is not the Wicca religion and many practitioners of Wicca dissociate themselves from the word witch and witchcraft.

For me, it's the opposite, knowing the natural origins of witchcraft and goety. I prefer to use the word goety but witchcraft is more easily recognizable. I was obtaining the services of a professional and she needed to know the nature of my employment. As a practitioner, I described what I do as providing spiritual services. A little later she could not help herself, the curiosity! She asked, what is the nature of the spiritual services, and I answered "Witchcraft." "Ohhh," she says, "Wicca." "No, witchcraft." And she just kind of paused for a moment, commenting that there must not be very many people into this kind of thing, and then continued on with the matter of business...

Adelphia D. Blood
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

Adelphia wrote:
CaiyrosArlenLeStrang wrote:Very Good Post! I am adding one addition/correction as follows:

Excellent notes on the origins of the word witch and it's history, thanks Caiyros. Fascinating about the earliest use of the word witch on your family document from 1250 CE on the Isle of Wight... is that the image you posted? I zoomed in on it and was unable to read it. Yes, fully agreed on your points. Witchcraft is not the Wicca religion and many practitioners of Wicca dissociate themselves from the word witch and witchcraft.

C-

For me, it's the opposite, knowing the natural origins of witchcraft and goety. I prefer to use the word goety but witchcraft is more easily recognizable.

C- Thant's very reasonable. Paganism is Polymorphic unlike the Monomorphic Crowd.(LOL).

I was obtaining the services of a professional and she needed to know the nature of my employment. As a practitioner, I described what I do as providing spiritual services. A little later she could not help herself, the curiosity! She asked, what is the nature of the spiritual services, and I answered "Witchcraft." "Ohhh," she says, "Wicca." "No, witchcraft." And she just kind of paused for a moment, commenting that there must not be very many people into this kind of thing, and then continued on with the matter of business...
C-Why not add to this thread you knowledge in this area...tere's a lot of b.s. out there and its good to have some real info floating around.

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
starfire
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 125
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
Zodiac:

I find all of this very interesting and would love to see more information on it!!!! :thumbup: :D

I do agree that there is a lot of confusion and crap out there that does not help in knowing how things truly are, it leads to a lot of confusion!!!!

I am bumping this as well!!!! ;)

starfire ::dragons::

Keeper of many spirits, who I suspect are keeping me instead!!!

Keeper of Thor, my friend and protector
Adelphia
acclaimed member
acclaimed member

Thanks Caiyros, Lionox, and Starfire... If anyone has any other references highlighting the commonality of witchcraft/Goety/shamanism within varying magico-religious practices, or any insights or thoughts into the topic, please post them here :)

Adelphia D. Blood
truckingon
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 78
Spelled Number: 30
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them