Meditation, Dreaming and Energy Feedback?

Need help learning how to Meditate? Know any tricks on how to achieve it? Post here!
Drake
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Don't know yet.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sausage
My super power would be...: Laser-beam eyes
My magical/paranormal name...: Don't know.
Zodiac:

I've started noticing a rather strange occurrence when I meditate. I meditate lying down on my bed with my hands faced down on my waist and my legs spread slightly, after doing a grounding (roots into the earth) while standing or sitting.
I find that's the best position for me to get really relaxed, sitting just doesn't really do it for me, I don't have a good comfy chair.

Thing is, sometimes during meditation, I will sort of drift off and start to dream about things, but not quite asleep, sort of like teetering on the edge. It wouldn't last long and I would quickly snap back to focus, if you've ever seen someone falling asleep then waking up with a snort, it's sort of like that.
Thing is, past few sessions I've begun noticing something strange. Whenever I refocus and snap myself out of those dream like states, much of the time some part of me twitches involuntarily, and I don't mean like a snort or a muscle twitch but something stronger.
The intensity varies but usually it's enough that my hand or leg jumps. This morning my session ended rather abruptly when my finger suddenly curled inwards, it was so sudden and intense that it snapped me out of my meditation. I felt a rather strange tingle running through my hand for awhile after that.
I read that in cases of involuntary spasms or twitches it is usually because of the Spirit's energy and I was wondering if that was some sort of energy kickback from the sudden refocus.

The "dreams" themselves don't really seem like dreams, least not the traditional kind. I usually encounter several during one session, all brief but all different. I don't really understand them and am basically just watching them happen, but sometimes I hear people talking or even singing. Things are garbled though, even the images.
Plus when my session is over I don't feel tired or sleepy, rather I feel refreshed and clearheaded. Makes me wonder if those dreams are more a form of projection or something.

Is this a normal occurrence? And what I really want to know is, should I try and give into those "dreams" more or should I work on staying focused more?

Drake
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Hmm, so no one has any thoughts on this? Or did it just get overlooked?

Torerex
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 0
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Your "dreams" are basically what I always have dreamed. Obviously you aren't asleep because your still conscious of your physical body. I have had the twitching similar to what you described when I tried to force myself into lucid dreams from being just awake, but that doesn't mean that is the cause. I am honestly somewhat curious about what others will answer to this.

edsphinx
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: edsphinx
Zodiac:

Drake, do you keep a dream journal?

If not you should because it helps a lot when you read it later and "realize" of many messages that you just didn't pick up the first time.

I also meditate laying down in my bed and have the same twitches some times, is normal but isn't OBE in my opinion, because you feel a strong vibration when you are experiencing any OBE and you also are aware that you are "Outside" of your body.

Dark Blessings,
edsphinx
Sequinox
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Spelled Number: 1
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: High Elf
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Sequinox
Zodiac:

Hm, I imagined the intense sensation as being exactly like the snap back vibration from astral projection. Journaling is a very good idea. Keep up the good work. Try both ways, fighting and rolling with it. Observe the results.

Actually, as it turns out, it is easy being green.
Ashira
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 50
Spelled Number: 50
Your favorite spirit to work with: it changes lol
If I could be anything, I would be...: weredragon
My magical/paranormal name...: Ashira
Zodiac:

Actually, "exit symptoms" vary for each person and even from one OBE to the next. It is also possible for a person to AP without realizing that's what they're doing at the time it happens. I've had that happen to me a few times.

This sounds to me like it very likely may be the beginnings of AP. It's not uncommon for a person to get sudden muscle jerks like that when they snap back into their physical body. When in the midst of a projection, all it really takes is to refocus on our physical bodies to return to them.

I say it sounds like the "beginnings" of AP because it sounds like you hadn't fully exited your physical body yet. A lot of people will see and hear things before gaining the ability to move and often those senses are blurred or muffled until you learn to properly focus them on the astral. If this happens again, I would try just going with the flow. You might also try giving yourself a mental command to see and hear clearly to focus your senses better. And as already mentioned, keeping a journal of it is a good idea.

ImageSurrounded by angels...the scaly kind!
Drake
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

I keep a dream journal yes, but not a meditation journal.
I write down particularly vivid dreams that leave me with strong emotions when I wake up in it, dreams that I feel need to be remembered. So I only write in it maybe once every few weeks.

I've been taking the advice of several people since I last posted, yorick, Astral, fire, along with the advice in several topics and have been working on shielding, grounding, centering before meditation.
It's pretty much as Ashira said, it feels like the beginnings of an OBE. Recently there are moments where I feel parts of my body, usually the extremities, hands/feet start to get pulled or move when my body is perfectly still. Unfortunately this makes me excited and without thinking I end up back at square one, so that's something else I need to work on.
The changes are small, but I do feel as if I am progressing slowly. But I also do feel like I'm caught on something sometimes and can't fully let go.

The strong muscle jerks have not happened since I started grounding and centering, just some minor twitches. I also find the transition in and out of the dreams "smoother" if that makes any sense.

Ashira
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Seems like you're making progress, then. :) It's possible that when you feel like you're caught on something and can't fully let go that someone may be trying to help you to fully project. When I first started trying to AP, my vamp mate tried to help by lifting me out. But at the time, I hadn't quite adjusted to the exit sensations I got and was fairly stuck. lol But when I felt him lifting me out, I unintentionally held my breath. When I realized I was holding my breath, I started breathing again and it put me back at square one. lol

Keeping a dream journal and trying to recall as much detail as you can of any dream you remember is a good exercise to prepare you for full AP, though. It will help train you to remember your dreams in more detail as it instructs the subconscious that dreams are important to remember, and then when you do manage to full AP you'll be able to remember it much more vividly.

Drake
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

That's pretty much what I've been going through. It's like I can't quite get into the right state for everything to come together and end up slipping up somewhere.
I've asked my Fae to join/help me through the process, so perhaps it is her lending me a hand.

I'll try keeping a more detailed dream journal, though I haven't been having any dreams I can really remember recently. Not even a shred of detail, honestly it's quite weird.

Ashira
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

If you're having trouble maintaining the proper state to fully project during meditation, you might try projecting from your actual sleep cycle. That has worked for me. There are two ways I know of to do it. One is simply telling yourself before falling asleep that you are going to AP. Having the intent of doing it and giving your subconscious that instruction has been known to work. Another way is if you can become lucid during a dream, you can turn it into a projection from there.

I know I've recommended this book a number of times elsewhere on the forums, but Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce is the best book I've found on astral projection. In addition to all the other tips and tricks he teaches, he has this "rope" technique...can't remember if it was in the book or just on his website...but it's a way to force a conscious projection when you struggle with getting out.

Return to “Meditation”