Magick as a Gun

NyctophiliaRaven
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Everyone
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself.
My magical/paranormal name...: KITTY!!!!!!!!

Re: Magick as a Gun

Postby NyctophiliaRaven » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:09 am

I know it got repetitive, Drake. There were some... translation errors that forced me to restate my premise several times. What you see here is the stitching together of multiple replies without the debating context to demonstrate the necessity of the repetitiveness. I'd have cleaned it up better and made it more fluid and structurally sound, but I was in a hurry at the time and felt that some things do bear repetition, so I just edited out the comments made directly to other parties of the debate for privacy's sake, copied and pasted what was left, clarified what was left as best I could given the time I had available, and called it good. I know it's not my best work, but it's still useful. *shrugs* Not a god yet. Perfection seems to even elude their kind. Did my best. Good enough for me.

"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series

Drake
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1
Your favorite spirit to work with: Don't know yet.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sausage
My super power would be...: Laser-beam eyes
My magical/paranormal name...: Don't know.

Postby Drake » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:28 am

Makes sense.

So, trying for godhood are we.

Maythen21
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 30
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Postby Maythen21 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:53 am

Nyctophilia Raven wrote:I'm OK with teaching the stuff you can find everywhere... but there's something to be said for one-on-one.

However, I agree with what you've been told... once your chicks are hatched and flown... what they do is all their own.

I don't mind the public stuff... I'm all for the 101 being widely available. (I just don't have the temperament to teach it) Yeah Books! ::hail::

But if the moment I see that egg... and deep down I just Know it's rotten inside... or it's going to spread rot where it goes... Even if it's going to hatch out and look like a marsh mallow peep of sincerity...

Nope.
I can't nurture that.
:skull:

Or worse, I let it suck my brain, thinking it's a good egg, and it turns rotten anyway. :hissy:
And if I can't, don't, or wont provide the necessary guidance to ensure that my knowledge remains within the proper framework... then I am responsible for the negative outcomes.

Hey, I'm not saying other people can't go right on doing it. :peace: But I don't.

An overdeveloped sense of duty is sort of in my job description.

NyctophiliaRaven
venerated member
venerated member

Postby NyctophiliaRaven » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Drake wrote:Makes sense.

So, trying for godhood are we.

Beyond the innate Godhood we all can lay claim to? No. Yeesh, Gods, no. Who'd want to be responsible for this mess??? I'll stick to just being responsible for my own, TYVM. That's almost more than I can handle, most days.

"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

NyctophiliaRaven
venerated member
venerated member

Postby NyctophiliaRaven » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:46 pm

And, May...

I've not always been positive about my students... but I've never had one go bad. I've had a lot of them quit on me when they realized it was WORK and I was serious (and one quit when he decided I was seriously SCARY) but I've never, EVER hatched a rotten egg. Gods willing, I never will.

People who come to me to be taught, they come because they're ready to clean up their lives... not because they want to make bigger messes for themselves or anyone else.

For the most part, aside from mistakes that even you and I admit are things we ourselves either made, or nearly made, my kids have been good ones. And when they've spilled the milk... I make them grab the mop.

I'm not their Nanny. If they learn to clean themselves up... they'll be better teachers when it's their turn.

I have to say, though... I really do LOVE teaching...

Having to come up with a thousand ways to explain one concept...

Means I understand it from a thousand different perspectives.

Teaching is another way of learning. It's a way of pushing what you already know into deeper territory. Even the basics have something to teach us oldies. :)

Scordra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 601
Spelled Number: 77
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Elven
My magical/paranormal name...: Scordra

Postby Scordra » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:10 pm

There are many times I'm frustrated with people but those who plunge forth, often blind and naive, can also be the movers and shakers of the world (bring about some real change which can be for the better). Can there be disaster? Sure. But the cycle still occurs. Disaster gets cleaned up...EVERYone (open to learning) learns from it...and we move forward. It doesn't mean the same mistake won't happen...by another individual or even the same. And we can knock our heads against a wall, sometimes seeing this inevitable future. But...humans are all here for their own life lesson and often on their own learning curve.

So...when you choose to teach you know there will be failure. If there's more failure than success..it could be how the lesson's taught or the material being taught. But no matter how good a teacher, some will fail. I don't mind so much anymore those that rush in. Whether it's based on ego, blind faith, even stupidity, it doesn't matter. We can teach a lesson that often teaches other lessons along with it. We don't have to take responsibility for that (the other lessons). Some of that is growing up and it can be the hard way. We don't have to clean up every mess because those are opportunities for learning too.

This is why I don't see planet earth as ever having world peace. It's a great idea but earth wasn't made for that (imho) at this level. It's a place we, our spirits/souls, come to evolve and grow. A place where people are at different stages and some progress...others may even regress. Life is pain and hurt, pleasure and happiness. Since we all live here together...we're all contributors to it...and both sides of the equation too! I've been the student and the teacher...the Fool and the High Priestess....and many times still, I recognize those cycles in different parts of my life....

So for those who wield magick like a loaded gun they've never sighted, cleaned, or fired before.....I can look at the negative....I can look at the positive...there's always two sides. With loss there is gain....I can duck out of the way from their bullet...or I can stand in front and meet the challenge, hoping my Kevlar is on. The approach depends only on what kind of person I already am or the kind of person I choose to become....I will add that neither is wrong, it's just your way of dealing with things. I'm thankful for all the teachers I've met in life, for their sacrifices and courage to teach. I'm also thankful for the opportunities to teach and the many things I've learned from being in that position....sometimes the greatest teachers have been the students that blew up a few things along the way....

May teachers, students, seekers, etc....keep things shaking and moving...hopefully forward!!

Love & Light,
Scordra

NyctophiliaRaven
venerated member
venerated member

Postby NyctophiliaRaven » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Beautifully said, Scordra...

And when they're not shooting themselves in the head, I completely agree.

When they are...

There's always going to be a part of me that shakes its head and thinks it was preventable.

But you're right. Mistakes are not preventable. Learning from them is, if you're of that bent... but mistakes themselves are HOW we learn (or IF) - without them we'd never get anywhere.

Thank you for your wisdom. I'll quit worrying about that kid and the fact that he's deliberately drowning himself. When you're deliberately drowning yourself, there are several ways it can go...

But none of them happen without your agreement. His fate is in his hands... as is his damage and his lesson.

Sometimes, we need someone to whisper in our ears... "There's traffic ahead. Quit staring at the trainwreck before you make one of your own."

Blessings...
Nycto

Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra

Postby Ashino Tsume roshi » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Nothing works well without self-discipline. And one must deeply, consecutively,continuosly, and courageously explored themselves, until they can handle the concept of Being and Nothingness.
C-

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss

NyctophiliaRaven
venerated member
venerated member

Postby NyctophiliaRaven » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:25 pm

MWatson-CHolmes wrote:Nothing works well without self-discipline. And one must deeply, consecutively,continuosly, and courageously explored themselves, until they can handle the concept of Being and Nothingness.
C-

Agreed. Wholeheartedly.

Scordra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 601
Spelled Number: 77
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Elven
My magical/paranormal name...: Scordra

Postby Scordra » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Nyctophilia Raven wrote:...There's always going to be a part of me that shakes its head and thinks it was preventable....I'll quit worrying about that kid and the fact that he's deliberately drowning himself. When you're deliberately drowning yourself, there are several ways it can go...

Blessings...
Nycto

Nycto...I don't think you will (totally) because you've got a :heart: that cares...and feels deeply about such things. We need people like you!! True compassion is hard to find and a teacher that has it ....even rarer still!! :hug:

Love & Hugz to ya!!
Scordra

Return to “What Went Wrong?”