neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: fallen angels
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: lovesclimbingthruwindows

Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'

Postby jasbro07 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:47 pm

Anybody else seen or read this? I didn't see it posted anywhere else on CH so my apologies if it is and I've overlooked it.
Just wondering what your thoughts are....personally I totally believe the story was invented for the masses but i still confess to wanting to believe that the Christ exists in some form. Just not the form imagined ...
Interesting times; do wonder what the long-long-term fall out will be. And, i also wonder what the effect will be upon those newer religions that teach upon the back of Christianity/Jesus Christ? ie., the Bahai' Faith which teach progressive revelation and that Jesus was real, the Bible is symbolic but truthful etc....

http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm

Biblical scholars will be appearing at the 'Covert Messiah' Conference at Conway Hall in London on the 19th of October to present this controversial discovery to the British public.

Jesus Christ: completely constructed from other stories for an ancient Roman propaganda campaign?

Jesus Christ: completely constructed from other stories for an ancient Roman propaganda campaign?
[Jesus Christ] may be the only fictional character in literature whose entire life story can be traced to other sources.

London (PRWEB UK) 8 October 2013

American Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill will be appearing before the British public for the first time in London on the 19th of October to present a controversial new discovery: ancient confessions recently uncovered now prove, according to Atwill, that the New Testament was written by first-century Roman aristocrats and that they fabricated the entire story of Jesus Christ. His presentation will be part of a one-day symposium entitled "Covert Messiah" at Conway Hall in Holborn (full details can be found at http://www.covertmessiah.com).

Although to many scholars his theory seems outlandish, and is sure to upset some believers, Atwill regards his evidence as conclusive and is confident its acceptance is only a matter of time. "I present my work with some ambivalence, as I do not want to directly cause Christians any harm," he acknowledges, "but this is important for our culture. Alert citizens need to know the truth about our past so we can understand how and why governments create false histories and false gods. They often do it to obtain a social order that is against the best interests of the common people."

Atwill asserts that Christianity did not really begin as a religion, but a sophisticated government project, a kind of propaganda exercise used to pacify the subjects of the Roman Empire. "Jewish sects in Palestine at the time, who were waiting for a prophesied warrior Messiah, were a constant source of violent insurrection during the first century," he explains. "When the Romans had exhausted conventional means of quashing rebellion, they switched to psychological warfare. They surmised that the way to stop the spread of zealous Jewish missionary activity was to create a competing belief system. That's when the 'peaceful' Messiah story was invented. Instead of inspiring warfare, this Messiah urged turn-the-other-cheek pacifism and encouraged Jews to 'give onto Caesar' and pay their taxes to Rome."

Was Jesus based on a real person from history? "The short answer is no," Atwill insists, "in fact he may be the only fictional character in literature whose entire life story can be traced to other sources. Once those sources are all laid bare, there's simply nothing left."

Atwill's most intriguing discovery came to him while he was studying "Wars of the Jews" by Josephus [the only surviving first-person historical account of first-century Judea] alongside the New Testament. "I started to notice a sequence of parallels between the two texts," he recounts. "Although it's been recognised by Christian scholars for centuries that the prophesies of Jesus appear to be fulfilled by what Josephus wrote about in the First Jewish-Roman war, I was seeing dozens more. What seems to have eluded many scholars is that the sequence of events and locations of Jesus ministry are more or less the same as the sequence of events and locations of the military campaign of [Emperor] Titus Flavius as described by Josephus. This is clear evidence of a deliberately constructed pattern. The biography of Jesus is actually constructed, tip to stern, on prior stories, but especially on the biography of a Roman Caesar."

How could this go unnoticed in the most scrutinised books of all time? "Many of the parallels are conceptual or poetic, so they aren't all immediately obvious. After all, the authors did not want the average believer to see what they were doing, but they did want the alert reader to see it. An educated Roman in the ruling class would probably have recognised the literary game being played." Atwill maintains he can demonstrate that "the Roman Caesars left us a kind of puzzle literature that was meant to be solved by future generations, and the solution to that puzzle is 'We invented Jesus Christ, and we're proud of it.'"

Is this the beginning of the end of Christianity? "Probably not," grants Atwill, "but what my work has done is give permission to many of those ready to leave the religion to make a clean break. We've got the evidence now to show exactly where the story of Jesus came from. Although Christianity can be a comfort to some, it can also be very damaging and repressive, an insidious form of mind control that has led to blind acceptance of serfdom, poverty, and war throughout history. To this day, especially in the United States, it is used to create support for war in the Middle East."

Atwill encourages skeptics to challenge him at Conway Hall, where after the presentations there is likely to be a lively Q&A session. Joining Mr.Atwill will be fellow scholar Kenneth Humphreys, author of the book "Jesus Never Existed."

Further information can be found at http://www.covertmessiah.com.

About Joseph Atwill: Joseph Atwill is the author of the best-selling book "Caesar's Messiah" and its upcoming sequel "The Single Strand."

:candle:

'I would rather be whole, then be good.....'
Carl Jung

“Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my Fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past me, I will turn to see Fear’s path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.”
Dune by Frank Herbert

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: experienced

Re: Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'

Postby Noctua » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:32 pm

To me, personally, the idea and validity of such is not unfamiliar.. I believe there is a Christ figure, but it's absolutely true that his qualities and purpose can be found in other sources.
My own thought is that the Christian faith was.. let's just say.. near totally inspired by already established figures, events, beliefs.. provoked by a need for control, and mostly successful because of fear.

I find the notions presented in this article to be very interesting, and not at all farfetched.. I think however, with any subject, there is always going to be a missing piece. We can only gather so much not having been there ourselves, and limited by perception..

“The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself.."
― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Aurum
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals

Postby Aurum » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:45 pm

I saw this the other day and it wouldn´t surprise me in the slightest to find out it was true. Very interesting article.

creepyhollows
Site Admin
Site Admin
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons

Postby creepyhollows » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:10 pm

The problem with conceptual theories is that someone else looking at the same evidence can draw a different conclusion. That is the issue with this. I think his theory is intriguing, but without some firsthand account from multiple sources laying claim to the invention, it simply becomes another conspiracy theory.

If it was simply a propaganda tool for controlling Jews, then it was the most successful propaganda story in the world, as it spread like wildfire across the globe, and is one of the top 3 foremost religions on the planet.

The fantastic thing about religion is that no one can prove a word of any of it, in any of them. It's all faith. There's no one alive today to say what happened with God, Christ, Buddha, Allah, Zeus, Ra, etc. So you are left to your own devices to sort through the religions and pick the one that you feel best suits your life path.

Personally, if you look at the size of this peon planet compared to the size of the Universe, I don't believe there's any doubt there is a God, and most likely we're all worshiping the same one, by different names.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER

jasbro07
neophyte
neophyte
Your favorite spirit to work with: fallen angels
My magical/paranormal name...: lovesclimbingthruwindows

Postby jasbro07 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:28 pm

Quote{"Personally, if you look at the size of this peon planet compared to the size of the Universe, I don't believe there's any doubt there is a God, and most likely we're all worshiping the same one, by different names."}

i was thinking a similar thing, Mags. A peon planet and our physical lives/memories being so incredibly short .... so if we're not actually worshiping the same God by different names then perhaps multiple Gods, for multiple cultures, all reinvented and renamed each eon with the story retold in different fashion....

:candle:

'I would rather be whole, then be good.....'
Carl Jung

“Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my Fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past me, I will turn to see Fear’s path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.”
Dune by Frank Herbert

ASH-MDA
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: HARPY, PROMETHEUS
If I could be anything, I would be...: HUMAN, LOL
My super power would be...: Super speed

Postby ASH-MDA » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:35 pm

THIS DIDN'T GET MUCH MEDIA PLAY. IT'S EITHER BECAUSE HIS EVIDENCE ISN'T SUPPORTIVE ENOUGH TO ACTUALLY SURVIVE SCRUTINY. OR, THE THOUGHT OF CRUMBLING ONE OF THE TOP RELIGIONS IN THE WORLD WOULD BE TOO MUCH FOR THE SOCIAL CONSCIOUS & IT WILL NEVER HAVE THE CHANCE TO BE REALIZED.

WISHES FOR YOUR DELIGHT,

WHAT I DO ON MY DAYS OFF

Syri
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Rich
My magical/paranormal name...: H

Postby Syri » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:28 pm

ash-mda wrote:OR, THE THOUGHT OF CRUMBLING ONE OF THE TOP RELIGIONS IN THE WORLD WOULD BE TOO MUCH FOR THE SOCIAL CONSCIOUS & IT WILL NEVER HAVE THE CHANCE TO BE REALIZED.

If this ever happened- solid evidence that Christianity was a farce- most of the population would go mad and we would have world wide riots I bet. It's best we leave it be and just keep on keepin' on. ;)

Sincerely,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Weirdo Syri,aka "The Crazy Cat Lady" :mrgreen: Friend of all things dark

Zero
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Loki, Immortal

Postby Zero » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:48 am

Mmm, I can't wait for this to make headlines on major media... I believe I'll laugh hysterically when it does.

I will tell you such foul truths and such beautiful lies, you will want to sew my lips shut.

Can a heart still break once it's stopped beating?

disasterwaiting
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 7
Your favorite spirit to work with: Kitsune

Postby disasterwaiting » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Interesting. Ill give it a read at work. :ghost4:

"To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don't grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float" Alan Watts

WhimsicalSage
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Postby WhimsicalSage » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Interesting! Bump!

This wouldn't surprise me if this was atleast partly true. It's wellknown that the bible is a highly edited load of hogwash. But i wonder what the actual evidence for this actually is. Don't forget archeologists are apparently satisfied Jesus did indeed exist.

Formerly known as Jumbo/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
"Destiny awaits us all." - The ghosts and technically me

Return to “What Went Wrong?”