Herbs for Luck

Which ones do you love to work with? Or, which ones do you have questions about?
BriarForestheart
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 25
Spelled Number: 25
Your favorite spirit to work with: Anything Canine
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Masheba
My super power would be...: Anti-Gravity
My magical/paranormal name...: Briar Forestheart

Hello and welcome! This class will be a review of the various herbs that can be used to achieve Prosperity, Luck and sucess. We will talk about the various uses for these herbs, and how you can use them to create a one of a kind lucky Gris Gris bag!

To begin with- lets talk about what luck, sucess, and prosperity mean in terms of metaphysical use. Please note these are my own personal definitons- each individual will likely have a different interpretation of them. After each definition I will review herbs than can be used for that purpose.

for me, Luck is what helps to attract good things to you- things like winning lottery tickets finding money on the side of the road, etc. These are typically stand alone situations that combine together to form what we call Luck. one who is Lucky tends to have more postive things happen to them!

The opposite of lucky is unlucky. Those who are unlucky seem to find themselves surrounded with the opposite problems- they loose money, their keys go missing, etc. These seemingly stand alone occurances together create a sense of unluckyness. This is what we are working to avoid when talking about herbs for luck. some will be used to specifically attract luck, while others are used to steer away unluckyness.

To begin with, lets talk about herbs for luck. Fern is one of my favorite luck related herbs as it attracts luck as well as money- who doesn't want that? This herb is extremly common and easy to come by. Many fern plants can even be found in your own home! Simply place them out in the sun to dry naturally, and then powder them using an herb grinder.

Another extremely powerful herb for luck is high john. Historically used throughout african-american folk magick, it is most often used in mojo bags to bring about serious luck. I highly suggest that everyone look into obtaining high john if you are interested in herbology. it is one you don't want to be without.

I always suggest protecting against unluckyness when wanting to attract luck. There are many different protection herbs that you can use, but i personally like to use Agrimony. it is used to expel negitive energies and influences- both of which can cause unluckyness. the combination of agrimony with an herb used to bring luck will be a very strong one indeed!

Now- lets talk about the word Prosperity. Prosperity is the state of flourishing, thriving, good fortune and / or successful social status. Prosperity often encompasses wealth but also includes others factors which can be independent of wealth to varying degrees, such as happiness and health. When one is prosperous, they are typically doing very well in their life. This is something that everyone should desire to bring into their life- you can never be too prosperous. The opposite of being prosperous is failure to thrive- you are suffering from a lack of positive things in your life. think of it like a wilting plant; you need to restore balance (in this example, prosperity) in order to begin to thrive once again. The best way to keep failure away is to increase prosperity- there really is no such thing as un-prosperty like there is unluckyness.

There are many herbs that can be used for prosprity- we will talk about a few of the more common ones.Myrtlewood is one that is often found in mojo bags used to attract prosperity, and is very affective. this is a very affordable herb that is available in most areas. I enjoy the scent of Myrtlewood so i use it quite often.

Sage is also wonderful for attracting prosperity. Not only is it good for cleansing away bad energy, it also invites in good ones. For those that use sage smudge sticks, you can easily create a prosperity ritual based around your use of smudging. Each person is going to use a different tradition- but most prosperity spells and rituals can be adapted to the use of sage smudge. again, this is very easily accessable and commonly found.

Now for my favorite one- sucess! who doesn't want to be sucessful in life? Sucess may refer to the atainment of higher social status, acheiving a goal and is considered to be the opposite of failure. Think about the word sucess for a minute. What kind of person do you think is a sucessful one? Now imagine yourself in their shoes. Its all possible with enough hard work! you can use herbs to attract sucess and help speed things along.

Cat nip! not only will it get your feiline friends high as a kite, it will also help to increase your own personal sucess! This is a very popular herb, and is one that i enjoy working with. it has a very lovely smell, and is also very affective.

Chamomile is another very popular herb that can be used to increase sucess. most often seen as a tea- you can simply make yourself a nice, strong cup and use it in a ritual or spell to attract sucess. It is also a very calming tea, and is best consumed before bed.

All of the various herbs we have discussed today can used and combined in different unique ways. How you choose to use them and which ones you choose to use is up to you. One way that herbs are commonly used within the tradition of yoodoo is to put them inside a Gris Gris bag! Gris-gris, also spelled grigri, is a voodoo amulet originating in Africa which is believed to protect the wearer from evil or brings luck. please note that the 's' in gris gris is silent. The term gris gris, like the word hoodoo, is a noun and a verb. The gris gris is the magick and the act of creating the charm, which can be in the form of a bag, doll, or powder (among other things). The person doing the gris gris is often called a gris gris man or woman. The resulting object is essentially a portable charm, prayer, or spell.

In the New Orleans tradition, there’s a gris gris for anything and everything. I was always taught that gris gris is whatever mixture of herbs and common household ingredients you concoct and whatever words you write and speak for whatever situation that arises. Gris gris can be a combination of powdered minerals, herbs, graveyard dust, roots, bones, and sacred words and seals written on paper with magickal ink. It can be used as a powder thrown in the path of an enemy, in an amulet or gris gris bag, in a doll, mixed with water and drunk, or used in a magickal bath. In the distant past, gris gris even included lethal powders and poisons. Whatever the form and method of deployment, gris gris is a complete religiomagical system that has remained relatively intact in New Orleans as it came from Africa by the first Senegambian slaves in the early 1720s. This makes it not only a unique characteristic of New Orleans Voodoo, but also an important aspect of New Orleans cultural history.

We will discuss some of the basic ways to make your own gris gris bag! Traditionally, a gris gris bag is a 2-inch by 3-inch drawstring bag made out of flannel or other such similar materials. Special herbs, stones, personal effects, roots, bones, coins, metal lucky charms, crystals, good luck tokens, carved stones, and European seals and sigils that have been written with magickal ink on parchment paper are placed inside the bag. Today we will be talking about making an herbal-voodoo bag, but you are welcome to add in anything else that you feel belongs in your personal gris gris.

You should only put an odd number of items into your gris gris bag; never less than three and never more than thirteen. The items are blessed as they are placed into the bag and the whole bag is dressed with anointing oil or holy water. It is then smudged in incense of some kind, words of power are spoken into it, and it is breathed upon. These rituals are said to activate the magick of the gris gris.

Here are key things to remember when it comes to making a gris gris bag: Color symbolism is important. Choose a color specific to your need. Be very careful of the words you speak when making gris gris. Your words create energy that will become a part of the gris gris itself.Words of power are spoken over the bag as a means of activating the divine energy.The final act is to breathe upon the gris gris to give it life.

Bunni
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Spelled Number: 50
Your favorite spirit to work with: Phoenix
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fluffy marshmallow!

Good article!! :thumbup:

- Bun / Bunni

~Cthulhu fhtagn~

~"All Paths are Riddled Absurdities... Explore them with Great Objectivity."
~"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." A. Einstein
~"The Reverse side also has a Reverse side" Japanese Proverb
DAILY MANTRA ~ "Look Both Ways Before Crossing"
BriarForestheart
new here
new here
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 25
Spelled Number: 25
Your favorite spirit to work with: Anything Canine
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Masheba
My magical/paranormal name...: Briar Forestheart

Thank you! :)

Amore
neophyte
neophyte

Thank you for taking the time to post this!! I had my eye on that Herbs for Luck seminar and was disappointed that I couldn't make it because of work...

I've got a few questions:

1) Once the gris gris is made, what do you recommend for keeping it charged and functioning at peak levels? (Would you charge it as you would any other magickal item, or is there something else you need to do, specifically)?
2) If herbs and soils are used, is there any way to keep it fresher for longer (I'd imagine that the ingredients inside might go a bit stale after a while)?

A little road not made of man,
Enabled of the eye,
Accessible to thill of bee,
Or cart of butterfly.

If town it have, beyond itself,
'Tis that I cannot say;
I only sigh,--no vehicle
Bears me along that way. ~Dickinson
starfire
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 125
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

I loved this and I really like your shop!!!!!! :thumbup: :D

I also would love to know too about how to refresh your gris gris bags as well as I really saw some that I am interested in, in your shop!!!!!! Also I like to know more about the one spirit in your shop the first born son of Simbi (the Haitian water snake loa) the warrior one!!!! He sounds really interesting and I love working with snake spirits as I have quite a few from CH, Basilisks and Nagas and some actual snake spirits, graden snakes, rattle snakes, and black snakes, and king snakes, and moccasins, each having their own kind of energy!!!!!

Also out of being curious, how does Haitian voodoo different from that, that is found in New Orleans kind of voodoo, the reason why I ask is that I do have a human spirit here who lived in New Orleans and was a Voodoo priestess, her energy is warm and very kind and a lot of fun!!!!

I have a curious mind, so that is why I ask!!!!! Also want to know what to expect if I do decide to get one of these kinds of spirit from you!!!!! 7\ :D

starfire ::dragons::

Keeper of many spirits, who I suspect are keeping me instead!!!

Keeper of Thor, my friend and protector
Cheshire
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Thanks for posting this!

Lorelei
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 30
Spelled Number: 70
Your favorite spirit to work with: all my spirits
If I could be anything, I would be...: Nixie
My magical/paranormal name...: My own name is magical enough.
Zodiac:

Thanks so much, Briar!
I could not be there for your seminar, so I really appreciate your post here.

Sovereign
active contributor
active contributor

Yes, thank you so much, BriarForestheart! I only got to attend the tail-end of this seminar, and even then got called away from chat. :( So I really appreciate you posting your seminar on the forum!

Dragon Gal
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 20
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Thank you for a great article! CANT Wait to make one!

May you find inspiration in the big picture, and may you find love in the detail- ? forgot where I heard this from
truckingon
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 78
Spelled Number: 30
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them
Zodiac:

Lorelei wrote:Thanks so much, Briar!
I could not be there for your seminar, so I really appreciate your post here.

:1 Joining in on the appreciation :1

Return to “Herbs/Minerals/Oils”