You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: ---
If I could be anything, I would be...: ---
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: ---

The Hungry Ghost Festival
(also known as the Ghost Festival, the 7th Month, Yu Lan)

This is just a general write-up. Region-specific, dialect group-specific and family-specific beliefs are not accounted for. More information is available online if you have an interest in the topic.

In the predominantly ethnic Chinese parts of Asia, the Hungry Ghost Festival, commonly known as 7th Month, is celebrated for an entire lunar month, starting from the 15th day of the 7th Lunar Month. On that night of the full moon, people believe that the gates between Hell, Heaven and Earth are opened, and the spirits of the dead are able to visit the earthly realm to search for food and entertainment.

In traditional Chinese beliefs, there are two types of ghosts. The first is the ghost of a person who died well, and who is remembered and venerated by his/her living relatives. This ‘ghost’ eventually ‘dies’ and is reborn. The second type is called a ‘malevolent ghost’, which is the ghost of a person who died ‘badly’ (suicides, victims of sudden death, violence, etc). These are traditionally believed to be malevolent and responsible for most of the hauntings and/or possession of people. Some of these are stuck on the earthly realm because they are unable to transition properly. Those who do manage to transition end up in the Chinese equivalent of Hell.

There are many different origins thought to have given rise to this festival, but the most well-known one is the story of Mu Lien and his Mother.

Mu Lien was an ordained disciple of Buddha who was said to also have clairvoyant powers. One night, he had a dream of his deceased mother, suffering in Hell. His mother had a huge belly but a very thin throat, and was desperately hungry. However, every time food appears, she is unable to swallow anything because of her throat. Demons would also appear and eat all the food instead. Mu Lien cried when he saw his mother’s suffering. Before he left his family, he had left his money with his mother and asked her to be kind and generous to all passing monks. However, she became greedy and stingy, and held back her kindness and his money. That was why she became a ‘hungry ghost’ after her death. Heartbroken by his mother’s suffering, Mu Lien went to seek Buddha’s advice. Buddha told Mu Lien to place clean food on a plate, recite mantra seven times to bless the food, snap his fingers to called the deceased and finally to tip the food onto clean ground. Mu Lien did so, and saw that his mother’s ghost was finally able to feed.

In seeking Death I learned to live.
'Walk your own path. Seek your own truth.' -- Azrael
'What are words? Words are at once the most powerful and the most powerless things there are.'
Vanya GreyCrow
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: ---
If I could be anything, I would be...: ---
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: ---

During the 7th Month, families burn incense, red candles, joss paper and papier-mâché items for their ancestors and deceased relatives. Food and drink offerings are also laid out in homes, or along the side of the road together with the burnt offerings. Taoists and Buddhists conduct rituals to ameliorate the suffering of the deceased.

The aforesaid papier-mâché items range from the simplistic – gold and silver ingots, clothes – to the wildly extravagant – model bungalows, luxury cars, tablets, laptops, etc. Some papier-mâché models of ‘servants’ may also be burned to provide the deceased some domestic help in their dwellings in the netherworlds. The joss paper may also be folded into shapes resembling ingots before they are burned. Special ‘Hell Notes’, or the legal tender currency of Hell, may also be burned.

Besides offerings, various types of entertainment are also put on for the benefit of the spirits. Chinese opera shows performed in the various dialects, puppet shows, and raucous on-stage variety shows (called Ge tai) are some of the more commonly seen ones. At such shows, the first row of seats is always left empty. These seats are reserved for the spirits’ use. It is considered bad form and taboo to occupy any of those seats during a performance.

Speaking of taboos, there are quite a number to be observed during the 7th Month. They often vary from region to region, dialect group to dialect group.
Examples:
- Do not stay out late; your chances of bumping into a malevolent ghost are much higher.
- Do not swim; most drowning incidents happen during this month because the ghosts of those who drowned want company.
- Do not whistle; this is a sure-fire way of attracting ghosts.
- If you have to be out at night and you are alone, do not turn around if someone calls your name or taps you on your shoulder; it’s a ghost trying to get your attention.
- Always wash your feet after you come home; that way ghosts cannot follow your trail back.
- Do not disturb or kick any area where burnt or food offerings were laid; these are open portals to the dead, and disturbing it will result in an offended ghost attaching itself to you.

... and so on.

In seeking Death I learned to live.
'Walk your own path. Seek your own truth.' -- Azrael
'What are words? Words are at once the most powerful and the most powerless things there are.'

Return to “Educational Material”