active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
Number of Spirits: 6
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampires
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

Bree, you might not get a huge movement at first. As you get better with the pendulum the movements will probably get more definite. Even if you get a slight, but definite, movement in the specific direction you can take it as a positive response in the beginning. If you're getting a definite movement, no matter how small, it's fine! Also, if you're not getting much movement you can try positioning your body in different ways. It can make a big difference. For example, if I sit on my office chair and prop my elbow on my knee I never get any movement out of the pendulum but I can lie in bed or sit in bed and prop my elbow on my pillow and get good movement. If I sit in bed, I can also prop my elbow on my thigh and get good response. For this reason, I do most of my pendulum work in bed! Play around with some different "positions" :oops: and see what works for you! :D

If it's still giving you grief after all of that, you can also try printing out a pendulum board to help you out. Feel free to print this one out. It is one that I designed with my own photo as the background graphic. http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x155 ... 1240875660 State that you would like to use the pathways shown on the board as your answers and then go through them using the system of demonstrating what the answer looks like and asking that it be repeated back. This is a very basic pendulum board but is a great start. I would only recommend this if all else fails because I do believe, strongly, that your own system will be the most powerful. But, if you look at the pendulum board and are drawn to it. Feel free to try it. If you don't feel drawn to that system don't waste your time!
Last edited by DollyLama on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Humans drool, vampires rule!
Who needs a prince when you can have a vampire?
scrubtech
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

The same thing happened to me Britannica!! I watched that video and changed the way I used my pendulum and got all messed up. :daze: My pendulum wasn't swinging as hard, it acted unsure, I was getting incorrect yes and no answers for things... :frustrated: It was really frustrating. What I decided to do was just stick with what was working before and not try to do it another person's way. The video is a nice guide for those who want to learn to use a pendulum for the first time, but for those all ready using one and then trying to re-learn another's method is difficult at best and erroneous at worst. Just MHO.
And I agree with DollyLama--it's a very personal thing. What works for one may not work for another.
And thank you, too, Magnolia for your input.

'Men have forgotten this truth,but you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.'
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
DollyLama
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

P.S. I looked at that video and also noticed that I use a much longer cord on my pendulum. I use almost double the length that she has there! You might try playing around with different lengths of chain or chord to see if that helps with your movement as well!

Some other things that I noticed that I do quite differently from the video are....I never have the pendulum at heart level. I can't work up there. My pendulum is, usually, around the level of my navel! That's where it ends up when I sit in bed and prop my elbow on my thigh. Also, I never have the pendulum in the center of my body - it's always off to the side...usually about midway between the center of my body and the side of my body. So, if you don't get much movement with the pendulum, or you feel cramped with it at the center of your body and/or at heart level, try moving around a bit. All of our bodies are unique so you might find a placement entirely your own that works wonders!

Also, if you are using a natural crystal pendulum and you're getting wierd stuff out of it, try cleansing it before you continue working with it. It's possible that it could have some residual energies on it that aren't helping matters especially if it's new to you.

scrubtech
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Me too!! I tried working at heart level and felt like my elbows and shoulders were cramping up!! :shock: I sit pretty much the way you described, but I don't have a problem with putting the pendulum in the center of my body...Just seems to naturally go there. :)
Good idea about clearing and cleansing the pendulum, too. I think some forget that it's a gemstone and retains negativity!! I like to charge my Quartz by burying it in the ground for a day or two. One time I left a chunk in the ground for a week (on purpose ;) ) and boy was it charged up! It buzzed like crazy. They (Quartz) like returning to the Earth--I think it makes them happy.

'Men have forgotten this truth,but you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.'
ladyevelyn77
venerated member
venerated member

I'm new to using a pendulum, but it did take time to get accustomed to making it work. I remember someone once mentioned that they have to use a small object because the heavier one was difficult to move. So that's something else you could look at.

Another thing I find is implementing patience. Sometimes my pendulum will answer quickly, and other times it's slow. I just keep repeating the question in my head. If I question the validity of the answers I get, I will deliberately ask a question that will be the opposite to check that I am working it right. If I'm talking to my spirits, then I just ask that they swing the opposite so I know that they are present still and truly speaking with me. Sometimes my pendulum just starts giving me wacky results, and I find that I'm tired from the position I'm in and my concentration is worn, that's when I know to set it down and give it one or two days.

I found a good guide on ebay that I bookmarked:
http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Use-a-Pe ... 0003052366

Hope that helps.

By the way, I received my pendulum from CH, and it is amazing. It started working right off. I had just reached a point where my pendulum begins to swing before I finish my question for my spirits. yay!!

mrblonde
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Britannica
I don't know if this will help you, but have you tried it with more than one of your spirits? My psy vampire barely moved it when I first started using it with her, while my red dragon swings it very enthusiastically (especially when we're talking business). So different spirits seem to answer differently. One of my sanguines gives sure answers, except she gives me a lot of maybes (she's quite playful), she swings it more if her vessel is sitting on the selenite tower and swings it out of control if she's just helped my wife with some magick. I can feel one of my other sanguines grab my wrist when I use it (she didn't answer well before she started doing that). I don't know if that helps, but it's just a thought.

Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

There is a lot of extremely good advice on this thread! I am going to see if I can feature this thread because there are good points made here about types of gemstones, different ways of holding it, different configurations of cord & pendulum, the fact different spirits respond differently to a pendulum, etc.

Very useful thread everyone and I'm sure your experiences & input are going to be invaluable to others who are new to pendulums!

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
DollyLama
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

ladyevelyn77 wrote:I'm new to using a pendulum, but it did take time to get accustomed to making it work. I remember someone once mentioned that they have to use a small object because the heavier one was difficult to move. So that's something else you could look at.
I think this is a great observation as well especially since it also demonstrates how much of a personal journey this can be. My favorite pendulum is rather old, large, and made of solid brass. It weighs a ton and gives me the most movement out of all of my pendulums. For myself, I can not get such strong, definite movements out of lightweight pendulums.

Also, with my brood and I, I find that the brass pendulum seems to be a nice neutral middle ground as it is not a specific gemstone that might appeal to some and repel others at the same time! If you find that you're struggling with a gemstone pendulum, you might consider trying one that's made of a metal or something else too!

Breetastic
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them!
If I could be anything, I would be...: Deity
My magical/paranormal name...: Eos Asta
Zodiac:

Thank you Dolly and mrblonde for the help!

I finally got the hang of it! My yes, is the pendulum spinning in a circle, my no is my pendulum going diagonally, and my NMI (needs more info) is it swinging left to right! It doesn't move as much or as fast as the Amy lady in the video, but it's enough for me!

:thankyou:

Oh, and one question, do I have to always program a pendulum I never used before, or do I just pick it up and go?

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul." - A. Powell Davies
Just passing through this life until the next one.
scrubtech
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Antime you begin working with a new pendulum, it's a good idea to start the process from step 1: Show me yes, show me no, etc...Some of my pendulums don't use the same directions for like answers. For example, my rutilated quartz rotates beautifully clockwise to indicate yes and counter-clockwise to say no. My amethyst pendulum swings toward me and away from me to indicate yes and side to side to indicate no.
My advice is to see what, if any, predispositions the pendulum might have and go from there. You can try to make a pendulum swing a certain way to indicate an answer: tell the pendulum to circle clockwise for yes...counterclockwise for no. Keep at this until the pendulum gives you accurate answers by swinging the way you want it to. I just prefer to let the pendulum choose its own way. The most important thing is that you're getting appropriate answers. If you feel your answers are always wrong or iffy--just start over.

Return to “General Questions”