Number of Spirits: 67
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Neo Starfire Angelis
Zodiac:

Magnolia, Ash, Creepy Hollows Crew, & Forum Members,

Would it be possible to convert the encyclopedia into a wiki? One that members can sign up to be able to edit and add to? It would be more comprehensive and as information is discovered it could be added to. Folklore and information could be sourced. It would be easier to search as well. What does everyone think of this idea? Please add your thoughts below. Thanks.

Drake
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Don't know yet.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sausage
My super power would be...: Laser-beam eyes
My magical/paranormal name...: Don't know.
Zodiac:

Not sure if that's a good idea considering that we're talking about a subject that people have multiple perspectives, opinions, and beliefs about. Wikis work because there is an accepted truth or fact about matters, but there's rarely such a thing in the metaphysical.
So if everyone were able to edit it, how exactly would we manage the varying viewpoints on subjects?

NeoStarFire
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Zodiac:

I was thinking administration being able to edit and having a section of the forum to post suggestions for the wiki

Drake
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Well then it wouldn't really be a wiki, since there would still be someone who'd control the flow of information and what gets posted. Plus you'd have to rely on them to update constantly.
In all honestly, the forums itself kind of represents what a wiki would be like. It's just not organized that well lol.

Oh yes, you can actually add new articles to the encyclopedia, and they need to go through an approval process as well I think.

NeoStarFire
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Maybe an Encyclopedia revamp? If they need help with it, I volunteer for it. Maybe an encyclopedia with a wiki structure?

Drake
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Why a wiki structure?

NeoStarFire
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

More interconnectivity. If something is refferenced, it has a link to it. Example, the page for a Succubus would also reference Cambions and Incubi. So there would be a link for both of those as well as a breakdown of sexual spirits.

Drake
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

It's a nice idea, but wouldn't that require someone to go through all the pages and add new links and such every time something new is added to the related field?
Approving new articles, editing them, adding links, checking "facts" and references. It's a lot of upkeep if only the administrators can edit it, which means there would need to at least be 1 or 2 people working full time on it depending on how much traffic there is.

NeoStarFire
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Maybe having forum members that are Tenured or at venerated level help? Maybe I should setup my own spirit wiki. I have alot of reference material. Hmmmmm....

Emmsie
new here
new here
You are...: in the learning process
Your favorite spirit to work with: Prometheus
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

I think a Wiki or a Wiki-esque thing is a great idea. I understand the reservations about it due to different beliefs, understandings (etc) about a particular spirit, entity, god and so on, but Wikipedia itself is a constant debate over what the 'facts' are - even with, and perhaps especially with, historical topics. Essentially there is very little - Wikipedia entry wise - that people consider 'fact' that doesn't have different opinion.

Wikipedia works because it is essentially moderated (aside from people protecting against flames or abuse, etc) by those who make the entries. It is weeded out and distilled by people adding their two cents and eventually what resides in an entry ends up being the consensus.

So on an entry, say, Abe Lincoln, you have people - some scholars, some not - adding facts about him. Those that the majority feel are accurate stay there. If something someone adds is debatable or those that follow the entry find questionable or wrong, often a dialogue opens up 'behind the scenes' (that you see if you become a Wikipedia poster) where the fact may be suspended on the entry while it is discussed and debated. Sometimes it will get added, sometimes not, sometimes with an asterisks in the sense of if, to name one example, there is a large group who believe 'x' and another reasonably large group who believe 'y' for example (or if it is a well known debate of what is fact). If something is added that is like, "Abe Lincoln had blue hair and was born on Mars" it will get removed.

People who post to Wikipedia 'police' it, for the most part, but it does not represent what 1 person believes as people do not have the sole power to prevent others from adding simply by how it works. In hotly debated entries there are some overseers to prevent constant changing from millions, but that is the minority. Wikipedia should never be considered 'fact' or be cited like a scholarly journal, but is extremely useful as a jumping off point for people's research.

I think it would be fabulous to start a spirit wiki with initial info taken from the encyclopedia here (not in place of the encyclopedia for sure), perhaps, and would be a great place to have a centralized jumping off point for folks to would be really interesting! :)

Return to “Spirit Research”