Genesis based on Japan's Hidden Christian's Belief

Which legends thrill you? Make you wonder? Shaped your beliefs? We'd love to know!
darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

Hello:)

I'd like to share part of the bible based on Japan's Hidden Christian belief, or Kakure Kirishitan. The Genesis is called "The Beginnings of Heaven and Earth", or "Tenchi Hajimari no Koto" in Japanese.

A brief background, this Christian is practiced in secret because it was illegal to practice Christian faith since 1639, until the religious freedom around the 19th century. They were persecuted due to the Shimabara Rebellion involving many peasants who were Christians, led by Amakusa Shiro. Since they were hidden, the belief system merged with many local believes, such as Maria Kannon, using Guan Yin statue to represent Virgin Mary.
1 In the beginning Deusu was worshiped as Lord of Heaven and Earth, and Parent of humankind and all creation.
2 Deusu has two hundred ranks and forty-two forms,
3 and divided the light that was originally one, and made the Sun Heaven, and twelve other heavens. The names of these heavens are Benbò or Hell, Manbò, Oribeten, Shidai, Godai, Pappa, Oroha, Konsutanchi, Hora, Koroteru, and a hundred thousand Paraiso and Gokuraku.
4 Deusu then created the sun, the moon, and the stars, and called into being tens of thousands of anjo just by thinking of them. One of them, Jusuheru, the head of seven anjo,
5 has a hundred ranks and thirty-two forms. Deusu is the one who made all things: earth, water, fire, wind, salt, oil,
6 and put in his own flesh and bones. Without pause Deusu worked on the Shikuda, Terusha, Kuwaruta, Kinta, Sesuta, and Sabata.
7 Then on the seventh day Deusu blew breath into this being and named him Domeigosu-no-Adan, who possessed thirty-three forms. So this is the usual number of forms for a human being.
8 For this reason the seventh day of one cycle is observed as a feast day. Deusu then made a woman and called her Domeigosu-no-Ewa,
9 had the man and woman marry, and gave them the realm called Koroteru. There they bore a son and daughter, Chikorò and Tanhò,
10 and went every day to Paraiso to worship Deusu. One day while Deusu was away, Jusuheru seized the opportunity to deceive the anjo and said, “As I’m also like Deusu, worship me from now on.” Hearing this, the anjo worshiped him saying, “Ah, behold, behold!” Ewa and Adan then asked, “Isn’t Deusu here?” But Jusuheru replied swiftly saying, “The Lord is in heaven, but because I am like Deusu, tens of thousands of anjo revere me. Therefore, Ewa and Adan, you too worship me—Jusuheru!” Ewa and Adan listened and discussed the matter between themselves scrupling, “But we are supposed to worship Deusu.” Just at that moment Deusu, descending from on high, came to that very spot where they were discussing the issue. The anjo who had worshiped Jusuheru, and Ewa and Adan, were all startled by Deusu’s sudden apparition. They clasped their hands, and bowed their heads until they touched the ground. In acknowledgment of their error they demonstrated their remorse by offering the Konchirisan.
11 Deusu then spoke, saying, “Even if you should worship Jusuheru, don’t ever eat the fruit of the masan.”
12 And turning to Ewa and Adan, “If you bring your children to me, I will give them auspicious names.” Having heard Deusu’s most merciful words, everyone returned home together. But Jusuheru, after he heard all this, rushed ahead to Koroteru with the sole intention of deceiving Ewa and Adan. Along the way, he got hold of the fruit of the forbidden masan, and went to Ewa and Adan’s home. “Where’s Adan?” he asked, and Ewa answered, “He’s out just now guarding the gate of Paraiso.” Jusuheru continued, “I am Deusu’s messenger. Because it is Deusu’s will to bestow lucky names on your children, hurry and send them to Deusu.” Ewa listened and believed. “Thank you for taking the trouble to come all this way to tell me that,” she said, and paused fascinated. “And by the way, what is that medicine you are holding?” “Oh, this,” said Jusuheru. “It’s the fruit of the masan.” Ewa was surprised and said, “But I hear that fruit is against our law here in Paraiso. Is it permissible to eat of it?” Jusuheru, answering with a patent lie, said, “The fruit of the masan is something that belongs to Deusu and to me, Jusuheru.” He then added, “It is forbidden because whoever eats it will then obtain the same rank as Deusu.” Ewa listened and asked, “Is that really true?” Then Jusuheru, triumphing over Ewa’s doubts, handed her the fruit of the masan. “Eat this if you please, my good woman,
...”
source: https://muse.jhu.edu/book/7971

Many words might be derived from Portugeuse while some from local believes, such as:
Deusu: Deus or God
Benbo: maybe limbo or hell,
Manbo: maybe mundo or world,
Oribeten: maybe oliveto or mount of olives,
Shidai: the four elements or states of matter,
Godai: the five Buddhist elements,
Pappa: maybe papa or pope,
Oroha: maybe coroa or crown/chaplet,
Konsutanchi: Constantinople,
Koroteru: hortelo or garden,
Paraiso: paradise
Gokuraku: the Japanese Buddhist equivalent of paradise
Anjo: angel
Jusuheru: maybe Lucifer
Shikuda, Terusha, Kuwaruta, Kinta, Sesuta, and Sabata: Monday to Friday, from segunda-feira, terça-feira, and so on
Domeigosu-no-Adan: Sunday's Adam
Domeigosu-no-Ewa: Sunday's Eve
Konchirisan: Contrição or the Act of Contrition
masan: maçã or apple

Several differences are:
-Eve wasn't mentioned to be created from the rib, but directly, at the same day with Adam
-Adam and Eve had their children in the Garden, not on Earth. Chikoro is the boy and Tanho the girl
-God let them worship Lucifer, as long as they didn't eat the apple
-Lucifer was not in the form of snake when seducing Eve

There are more in Whelan's book "Beginning of Heaven and Earth: The Sacred Book of Japan's Hidden Christians", if you're interested:)

P.S.: Not sure if this is the right section, since it is treated as folklore in Japan:/ If there is a better section, please move it there:)

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

Very interesting and thanks for posting. It was fascinating to read! It does seem to me that all religions that have some version of "In the Beginning" have looked the other way, when asked: "If there was a real beginning, then who or what began it, and then what beget the who, and who begat the who, who begat...and so on
I think we have to look at the concept that There Is No Beginning At All.

So that leads us into a real problem of thinking, and no matter what people put into ideas of a beginner who or what...began the beginning...

And currently the Big Bang is heading for the trash bin in astrophysics, but leaving that alone, if there was a big bang that who, who was "The Who" created "The Whatever" that created the Big Bang?

It is interesting that almost all people "hang onto that" in some way, when proof does not exist, no explanation can exist, and so perhaps we need to look at Time.

Does the Present Exist? There is no Present beause you can never look at, feel, "be in", or anything else. Why? because the only "moment' per se can only be between the Past or the Future, and it cannot be that moment as the Past and the Future are immediately joined to one another. Therefore the present is merely an ancient concept, nothing more.

Going further, the future does not exist because by the time we recognize the future, it is in the past, so can we call it "The Now", no because it is in the Past. Another 'fact" is merely an ancient belief. Because the Past Time isn't there , if it existed before than it would have to stay in existence, which would be Now, but "Now" as demonstrated does not exist, and therefore where is the Future? It doesn't exist because the future is always supposed to be after the Now, but the Now does not exist.
So, in one way time does not exist without human belief systems.

No Beginning, No Now, and No Future do exist, and, personally, I wonder "What is this Amazing Something?"

Caiyros

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
Huffdamagicdragon
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 1801
Spelled Number: 568
Your favorite spirit to work with: Lampades
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: DämonZerstörer

I find it interesting that Adam is Sunday's Adam in the list of names. If you read the King James version take note there are 2 narratives of the creation of man and in the hebrew these 2 events have a different name for adam. so god created ahdahm (man) (the races?) then god rested and then god created ha-ahdahm (high man). So before we had the english story we had a friday adam and a sunday adam

wayyy too many in my keep to count let alone list
mostly djinn and dragons though
darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Quite interesting that you mentioned "There Is No Beginning At All", C:)
The native Japanese then didn't have the concept of a creator god; they considered the universe was spontaneously created. Historically, the Christian pioneer struggled to make the natives understand. They tried to compare the Christian God with Dainichi (or Vairocana) as he is the central figure in the Buddhism sects in Japan. In the end, they used the term Deusu from Deus:)

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Huffdamagicdragon wrote:I find it interesting that Adam is Sunday's Adam in the list of names. If you read the King James version take note there are 2 narratives of the creation of man and in the hebrew these 2 events have a different name for adam. so god created ahdahm (man) (the races?) then god rested and then god created ha-ahdahm (high man). So before we had the english story we had a friday adam and a sunday adam
Mmm these two Adams sound intriguing. Can one of them be related to the concept of Adam Kadmon, thus Adam Ha-Rishon vs Adam Ha-Kadmoni? Or there were two Adams in different era? Mmm...

Huffdamagicdragon
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 1801
Spelled Number: 568
Your favorite spirit to work with: Lampades
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: DämonZerstörer

darkwing wrote:
Huffdamagicdragon wrote:I find it interesting that Adam is Sunday's Adam in the list of names. If you read the King James version take note there are 2 narratives of the creation of man and in the hebrew these 2 events have a different name for adam. so god created ahdahm (man) (the races?) then god rested and then god created ha-ahdahm (high man). So before we had the english story we had a friday adam and a sunday adam
Mmm these two Adams sound intriguing. Can one of them be related to the concept of Adam Kadmon, thus Adam Ha-Rishon vs Adam Ha-Kadmoni? Or there were two Adams in different era? Mmm...
I personally believe there was eons between the friday and sunday

wayyy too many in my keep to count let alone list
mostly djinn and dragons though

Return to “Folklore & Legends”