Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: there all cool
If I could be anything, I would be...: dont know yet
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: carlos the jackel

sorcery vs witchcraft

Postby fundude53 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:47 am

so can anybody tell me whats the difference between sorcery vs witchcraft
up until yesterday i thought they were the same thing.

spirits lots

-arianna-
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
If I could be anything, I would be...: One
My super power would be...: Ability to fly

Re: sorcery vs witchcraft

Postby -arianna- » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:06 am

Witchcraft is generally associated with folk magic, outdoor rites, ecstatic states etc. A witch is often also a person who worships old gods and works according to and within specific traditions. It's a path that is very different to say ceremonial magic, both in practice and in way of thinking.

A sorcerer on the other hand is someone who clearly uses magic to cause changes in the outside world as well as in the inner world (in the minds and emotions of other people or even in his own mind and emotions). In contrast to other paths, the focus is on results. On applying methods that will effectively achieve a purpose. It's not about working within and preserving one particular magickal tradition, it's not about worshiping specific gods, it's about results. A witch would use folk magic to achieve a result. A ceremonial magician would use "high" magick to achieve the same result. A sorcerer could use either or even both, depending on what would be most beneficial and more conducive to his purpose.

The difference is more about how each term is defined. Witchcraft is understood in a particular way (as I mentioned above), while sorcery is a more loose term, with the only fixed understanding of it being the fact that it's primarily concerned with practical results and is not directly associated with one particular mode of operating (folk magic vs ceremonial magic for example, or indoor vs outdoor magic). While a witch usually has a specific tradition they would operate within (witchcraft of the British Isles for example, Iberian witchcraft etc), a sorcery isn't associated with any one tradition specifically and a sorcerer is more likely to wield power where they can find it instead of following one system or tradition only.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!

fundude53
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: there all cool
If I could be anything, I would be...: dont know yet
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: carlos the jackel

Postby fundude53 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:27 am

yea dude that helps the seller a talked to the other day was saying sorcery was way stronger than witchcraft well it would be if u not so bothered about whats morals or not being tied to a specific practice of magic

spirits lots

-arianna-
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
If I could be anything, I would be...: One
My super power would be...: Ability to fly

Postby -arianna- » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:13 pm

The difference is not moral. Different sorcerers will have different morals and different traditions of witchcraft will have a different code of ethics. Sorcery is just a broader term than witchcraft. To give an example, a sorcerer may be well-versed in witchcraft as it developed in the British Isles for example, but that wouldn't prevent them from working christian-based magic for example or tibetan magic if they tried it and found it effective and useful for their purposes. The thought behind it is "magic is magic is magic, no matter what tradition or culture it comes from."
A witch on the other hand may refuse to work with anything that isn't part of their tradition or that they see as opposing their tradition.

Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!

Dutchmasta
new here
new here
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
Your favorite spirit to work with: Ubis
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Atlantes

Postby Dutchmasta » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:05 pm

-arianna- wrote:Witchcraft is generally associated with folk magic, outdoor rites, ecstatic states etc. A witch is often also a person who worships old gods and works according to and within specific traditions. It's a path that is very different to say ceremonial magic, both in practice and in way of thinking.

A sorcerer on the other hand is someone who clearly uses magic to cause changes in the outside world as well as in the inner world (in the minds and emotions of other people or even in his own mind and emotions). In contrast to other paths, the focus is on results. On applying methods that will effectively achieve a purpose. It's not about working within and preserving one particular magickal tradition, it's not about worshiping specific gods, it's about results. A witch would use folk magic to achieve a result. A ceremonial magician would use "high" magick to achieve the same result. A sorcerer could use either or even both, depending on what would be most beneficial and more conducive to his purpose.

The difference is more about how each term is defined. Witchcraft is understood in a particular way (as I mentioned above), while sorcery is a more loose term, with the only fixed understanding of it being the fact that it's primarily concerned with practical results and is not directly associated with one particular mode of operating (folk magic vs ceremonial magic for example, or indoor vs outdoor magic). While a witch usually has a specific tradition they would operate within (witchcraft of the British Isles for example, Iberian witchcraft etc), a sorcery isn't associated with any one tradition specifically and a sorcerer is more likely to wield power where they can find it instead of following one system or tradition only.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

I completely agree with this explanation.

3 sanguine Vampires, psy vampire, 3 succubus, 2 nymphs, 2 star faeries, red dragon, gold dragon, silver dragon, brass dragon, mononoke , althena djinn, arkan sonney, baku, incubus, wraith, gregori, 3 chargaros elementals, 2 Bezelles, ikubu.

Entities: concuan, succubus Queen

Immortals: Lilith, Helios, Isis, Thanatos

Infusions: Lilith

Return to “Spells/Spellwork”