Number of Spirits: 3000
Spelled Number: 350
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons, Vampires
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Soul Whisperer

Empaths and HSPs Which One Are You?

Postby lori67k » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:44 am

I often get asked what are empaths and how do I know if I am an empath or am I just psychic or just sensitive and why? I also get asked a lot on how one deals with gifts like these and what can they do to protect themselves. In the article below, borrowed from the angel messengers website, is a brief description of what an hsp and empath is along with some helpful pointers... Enjoy :)
<3 Posted with Love <3

Link to original post:
http://www.angelmessenger.net/empaths-and-hsps-which-one-are-you/

Empaths and HSPs Which One Are You?
by Rev. Sheri, founder of Angel Messenger

Have you always been able to sense other people’s emotions and intentions? Do large crowds and loud noises leave you feeling overwhelmed? Does it seem like you frequently need some alone time in order to recharge your batteries? If you answered yes, then chances are you an HSP (Highly Sensitive Person). However, not all HSPs are empaths, but all empaths, by default, are HSPs.

Both empaths and HSPs feel emotions very keenly; whether it is positive ones like joy, excitement, kindness or negative ones like anger, sadness, guilt, etc. However, HSPs have the ability to sense what other people are feeling without absorbing those feelings within their own mind and heart.

This is both a blessing and a bane as it helps the HSP to not soak in other people’s energies but at the same time can make him or her a tad too self-absorbed. How? Well, due to their sensitivity, the HSP will always pick cues from the environment but instead of feeling compassion towards others, they can react by becoming excessively focused on their own self and needs.

An empath, on the other hand, has a tendency to merge with others. He or she is like a sponge to other people’s feelings – both positive and negative ones. It is, therefore, very difficult for these people to not become swamped by the emotions and reactions of others. They often end up feeling stuck due to the energies they have absorbed.

Due to their highly attuned sensitivity; both empaths and HSPs frequently suffer from overstimulation. Being exposed to violent or gory images in the media, frequenting bars and pubs with loud music, emotional drama and other similar stimulants often leave them disturbed and emotionally disoriented.

HSPs can have a propensity towards falling into a trap of self-blame and guilt when things are not going well. They can suffer from depression, anxiety and high levels of stress. Both Empaths and HSPs might feel a need to avoid social contact. This might make it hard for these individuals to maintain friendships and intimate relationships in the long-run.

How to deal with being an HSP
First of all, accept that you are different from others. Indeed, your sensitivity causes you a lot of pain at times, but you must understand that this is also a priceless gift. Your ability to feel emotions so acutely gives you the ability to experience positive emotions more profoundly than others. Your sensitivity endows you with social skills that most people don’t have. After all, you can gauge what the other person is thinking or feeling no matter how good a façade they are wearing!

You can, therefore, use your sensitivity to make this world a better place. For instance, you can cheer up a person by saying the exact words that will lift his or her spirits up since you almost always know what those words are for any person. You will do especially well in jobs like counseling, medicine, healing, etc.

Now, the question arises how to deal with those times when you can’t handle the negativity that surrounds you? Here’s what you can do:

Accept how you feel. The harder you resist, the more negative you will feel.
Make a conscious choice not to hold onto negativity.
If possible, remove yourself physically from the negative environment.
Engage in physical exercise, read positive books, listen to uplifting music.
Interact with other positive and spiritual people.

What to do when you are an Empath
Life is still easier for an HSP by a few notches. Being an HSP who is also an empath is a lot harder. But here’s what you can do:

Accept your sensitivity to other people. However, make a conscious choice to not absorb their feelings. How can you possibly do this? This will require practice but adopt a policy to observe yourself and your reactions at all times. Continually ask yourself, “Does this emotion belong to me?” Every time you find yourself absorbing another person’s negative emotions, take a deep breath (breathing in Divine, white light) and release those emotions on an exhale (allowing your angels to transmute those energies into love and peace). Absorbing someone else’s emotions will NOT help you or them.Are Those Emotions Yours?
Understand that other people are responsible for how they feel. You can contribute to their happiness up to a certain extent, but making themselves happy is their own business – their own choice. Being happy is a choice. If some people constantly find themselves at the polar end of this choice, it may be time for them to consider their choices. However, this still does not make their choices your responsibility.

Every painful experience is also a learning experience. If someone is going through a painful experience, it is because there is an important lesson in it for them to learn. You cannot learn this lesson for them as each one of us has a unique curriculum in this school of life. Allow them to learn their lessons at their own pace even if it involves letting them go through and face difficult emotions. If you want to be there for them, then share your joy and happiness instead of allowing them to hijack the conversation to only focus on sharing their distress.

Both empaths and HSPs must draw the line somewhere. Having an inner support system and a method of spiritual practice can go a long way in helping them cope with everyday challenges. For an empath, it is vitally important to start living with the recognition of which energy is their own and which ones they have absorbed from others!

Angel Blessings,
Rev. Sheri
Founder, Angel Messenger

<3 I want to be the best that I can be. I want to do and have and live in a way that is in harmony with my idea of the greatest goodness. I want to harmonize physically here in this body with that which I believe to be the best, or the good way, of life. <3

This blessing... I send out to all of you <3 1ht <3

DualWanderer3
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 23
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Re: Empaths and HSPs Which One Are You?

Postby DualWanderer3 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:41 am

Dose being a cancer sun and tauros righsing normaly make the traits worse?Not to menchen when stress turns to anger and you mucals become pulled back rubber bands.You could walk away but how well dose it help when your doing it with a trigger fingher fist that has redirected aggretion. Negativity seems more instincuale at points with it only burning out after seething the emotions for hours no matter how hard you try to calm down consciously.

I don't know if its because of having a fighting spirit,being bled of positivity over the years,or that its just me but the thoughs ways of copping don't seem work as well as you would think if blood boils over a certaint point.

blessed be

lori67k
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced

Postby lori67k » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:11 pm

one of the most common traits empaths and hsp's tend to have, regardless of astrological influence is taking things personally, and feeling victimized not just by these gifts (because most often, we have no idea where all these other emotions and awareness is coming from, we rarely identify that these shifts is coming in from an outside source, most are not even aware it isn't them it's someone else), we will often internalize our experiences, especially if our environment and experiences of personal events are toxic, we can then internalize them and with gifts like these, it only seems to amplify those beliefs of victimization; therefore end up drawing more of that to us.

I learned long ago (as with anything) to see these gifts as an opportunity to view my world differently, more positively and honestly; changing my perceptions from these begin a curse to being a true gift, then learning to identify when emotional changes and awareness occur, that is in fact coming from outside and not within, and begin looking for ways to protect and shield myself from those sources only allowing so much of it, that i wish to let in at any given moment so I am not so overwhelmed

Astrological and being an empath or hsp can be tricky sometimes, but this is an opportunity to learn more about the self, and grow rather than stay in the same place, emotionally and mentally... at least that's my perspective per my own growth in both life and with these gifts

Blessings 1ht

<3 I want to be the best that I can be. I want to do and have and live in a way that is in harmony with my idea of the greatest goodness. I want to harmonize physically here in this body with that which I believe to be the best, or the good way, of life. <3

Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 19
Spelled Number: 9
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire

Postby Fireshadow » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Eh, I learned about Empaths and HSP's when I learned about my MBTI personality-type :) The definition you give, seems to be a definition of an INFJ.
The way I learned to deal with depression, negative feelings, the pain and sadness, was to go to an INFJ-blog, where many people suffer from the same and give you tips, and just meet other INFJ's :)
The great thing is that they are great at counselling as well, so whenever you're down, they can bring you back to happiness :)
Next to that, sometimes it really helps if someone is down, and you can help them to get back up to their feet. You're counselling two persons in that moment, yourself and the other.

With ( a thousand) people who encountered the same, and tell you all about it, it's taking away some preassure of feeling lonely and trying to find a way on your own. And although I like the astrological, spiritual, religion, etc, it seems easier for this to just get a simple scientific explanation as what you are, and why you feel this way. :)

'I've got this disease pumping through my veins, and I can't ever rip it out or scrub it clean. I'm a whole new level of freak. And I'm just trying to take this... curse, and make something good out of it. Because I have to.' - Sam Winchester

' Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times. If one only remembers to put on the light.' - Albus Dumbledore.

Luke:' I don't believe it...'
Yoda:' That is why you fail.'

lori67k
neophyte
neophyte

Postby lori67k » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:54 am

Thanks for sharing Fireshadow

If you don't mind... what is MBTI and INFJ? My bad, I don't know what that means

I had to learn about my gifts, how being an empath both explained what I was experiencing as well as confuse me all at the same time; on my own, through trial and error. It was indeed a journey to discover why I am who I am and to accept these sensitivities as gifts

Fireshadow; I found this blog to be more descriptive than anything I've discovered in the past; it is something I resonated at the core with and knew (er felt) in my heart from many conversations from others asking similar questions that it very well could resonate with them as well which is why it is shared here

Many blessings 1ht

Engel
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

Postby Engel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:18 pm

I found this post helpful with how to clear me energy from other people's emotions, as well as setting healthy boundaries; especially with the point on other people's choices and emotions being their responsibility and theirs alone. I often fall into the trap of wanting the other person, who might be dealing with some hard times, to be happy. But really, it has to be that person's choice to be happy or make a change, so to try to take on that person's problem really isn't as productive and/or helpful as an Empath can lead oneself to believe. It's a hard lesson for sure and I am just learning to respect people and just allowing their own stuff to be their own, and helping when and if asked. So thank you so much for posting this, lori67k! 1tu

lori67k
neophyte
neophyte

Postby lori67k » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:29 pm

My pleasure Engel; I know exactly what you mean; it all comes back to 'pick your battles' type pf thing

Thanks for the kudos hon; happy to be in service where and whenever I can :)

Engel
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

Postby Engel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm

The rule of 'pick your battles' is indeed a wise rule of life to live by. :) It saves for many a heartache.

lori67k
neophyte
neophyte

Postby lori67k » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:32 pm

oh yes... it absolutely does; too bad many of us learn that the hard way, lol but gratefully, it is never too late, we are never too old, to change our thoughts, our lives etc... and learn new things

Well said Engel, thank you

Aurum
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals

Postby Aurum » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:11 pm

I think I'm both. It was recently revealed to me that I am a quite strong empath, coming from long line of empaths. I never knew and I have been trying to figure this gift out. I never knew because even if many empath traits fit me, I'm never overwhelmed and I don't think other people's emotions have that much effect on me, but I suppose my natural defense system is quite strong.
I know I am a highly sensitive person, and a a result I have built a wall around me when I was very young and now I have to work my way around it.

Return to “lori67k”