sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

I keep seeing threads in the past few days related to physically shifting from being human to being another type of being. Vampires and Werewolves have been mentioned, and possibly others as well.

This thread isn't about that. This is about becoming another sort of being on the astral plane. I have been working at night, at bedtime, with my merfolk, sea dragons, and other sea creatures in order to strengthen my ties to the sea and sea magick. I know I don't technically HAVE to shift in order to keep up with them or travel underwater, as the astral doesn't require us to obey the physical laws of physics or breathe air, but I shift into a mermaid form when I am out and about with my spirits under the water. I still have a human personality, and it doesn't make me suddenly have a storehouse of memories of a bunch of experiences that I haven't actually lived through. But I like doing it.

So, who else shifts out there? Do you stick with one alternate form, or do you vary your target species according to what you're doing while projecting?

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

I do! The mermaid form was my first before I realized that projection was what I was doing. I have a couple of forms from childhood--again, before I realized what I was doing--but haven't picked up any new ones since then. Mermaid, lion, fae. And I vary depending on where I'm going and what mood I'm in. My astral form itself looks different from my physical form, but translates in other forms (e.g., same top in mermaid form and gold or silver eyes and black or silver hair.)

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

Thanks for this L2R. I like the threads that make me go, "OH THIS IS A THING! YAY!" ;)

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

I actually did a different kind of shifting starting when I was in my teens, and learning all these things from scratch. I used to go out with just my aura, not all of me, in the form of a Phoenix. There was an energy source that was very primal and cosmic to be tapped into when I did this, so I saved it for when I really needed it. But it was only since starting spirit keeping that I started to shift my actual astral self, rather than only the aura.

I have taken on certain forms deliberately because I am interested in the abilities that they have. For example, dolphins have echolocation, sharks have the ability to detect electrical currents in water, certain shrimp have complex eyes that can perceive far more colors than human eyes can (they have something like 16 types of receptive cells in their eyes, while we have 3 ot 4, IIRC), etc.

I should do the same with birds, as I understand they can perceive ultraviolet where we cannot. Or check out how snakes can perceive infrared via receptors on their face.

I know, this is all related to the physical world, and there might not seem to be a lot of spiritual advancement going on with a focus like that. But my goal is to perceive the word from someone else's POV, a perspective far different from mine, so I can gain understanding. And in that way, I think spiritual advancement can happen.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
AFrog
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret

I shift in the astral, too and like to experiment with my forms. My most common ones are a crossbreed form of human and cat (my first form I had shifted into. Higher sensitivity to touch and sounds), pure catform, white raven (I love to fly and it's mostly from getting quickly from A to B without teleporting or to watch smb.) and a blob of energy.
Rarer I shift into a dragon (it's very long ago I did this. The last time, I want to carry one of my humsn spirits through the sky :3) and a... "beast"form, when I get attacked (it's a mix of a bear, an ox, a big cat and dragon)
Or I just experiment with different other forms, which come to my mind atm, like you two already said: the form of a mermaid for underwater travel f.e. :p

I don't have a specific reason "why". I just have fun doing this and it was one of the first things I did in the astral, apart from defense training. I think it's also a good visualisation and senses training, if you shift into different forms in the astral.

Vryn Nightshard
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: The Beings with me
If I could be anything, I would be...: My true self
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

I do a lot of shapeshifting, but at the same time very little lol. In my astral travelling I tend to stick to a human form, albeit with a bunch of features that stick with me.
Here's an aspect that may seem odd to some people, I try both genders/flip between them.
Beyond that, I should get into more shapeshifting for sure

"An' ye harm none, do what ye will."

“Judging existence by comparison is not always the best pathway to progress.”

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Whether you're new to the metaphysical, or more experienced, there's always something to learn.
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
Zodiac:

Somebody mentioned 'astral travel' is basically traveling to places using that part of you called 'imagining'. If that's true I would prefer to take on a form that resembles simply blue, cyan or 'light' energy as a cloaked figure? And the other preferred form would simply be white/silver-gold 'armour' that encompasses my 'entire self'?

Reasons being my values I want to or have chosen the path to 'transcend' without or in the future feel for a need to have a set-in-stone 'physical form/appearance' aside from the armour/cloak? I would want to go for something similar to the 'true form' that many to most spirits/entities have perhaps? Feels 'better' to me.

darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

It is an interesting experiment : )

This can take some observation and research, for example birds' wings and various ways of how they fly. Then shifting the wings on the arms, copying how birds fly. It gets complicated when the wings are on the shoulders or the waists, since we don't have them naturally. It needs to feel like phantom limbs and requires translating how the feeling when the wings are on the arms is to the phantom limbs.

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
carl9010234
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process

Even though I have not achieved a full projection, I find that I am able to shift my astral form into other humanoid forms while in the physical. Although it does feel weird to have fingers and claws at the same time.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Breathing underwater with a mermaid or other sea-dwelling or amphibious form is interesting.

So is giving yourself abilities humans don't normally have, like echolocation (dolphins), detecting electrical pulses of others' muscle movements (sharks and others), seeing ultraviolet (birds and several other creatures), detecting infrared (some snakes)...

It's hard to maintain focus on those avenues of info long-term, as our brain gravitates toward the familiar and those sensations are anything but. However, it's great practice for learning how others perceive the world.

Return to “Astral Projection/OBE”