NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Everyone
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself.
My magical/paranormal name...: KITTY!!!!!!!!
Zodiac:

DualWanderer3 wrote:Is it really worth it if hafe of your personal knowledge can't be understood by people because their brain doesn't work the same way to understand without writing a book on the subject you add input to.

blessed be
darkwing wrote:Knowledge is knowledge, it doesn't matter if other people can't understand it, and there's no need to share it if they don't want to accept it : )
There are a lot of things that are so much about personal gnosis, they become impossible to put into words... or you have to over-explain and beat around the bush to get to the point where the information is available to people who are ready, but you don't sound like a nutter to people who aren't.

TRYING to write something coherent is important... but more important than that is actually writing ANYTHING... if people are at that level, they will understand... and perhaps what you write, someone else who also understands can add to what you've written, clarify it. Multiple perspectives can often make what you've offered clearer to the uninitiated.

However, you don't get that kind of group work, if you never post your thoughts at all. So it's best to just write.

It's worth it... at least that's how I feel. I'm working on an article right now, which talks about what magick actually is, how it works, WHY it works that way... and some of it is pretty obvious to practitioners, but may not make any sense to people who consider themselves not to be practitioners, who haven't done any personal work, but merely use other people's skills for themselves.

Some of my article is going to be like... a trail of breadcrumbs, leading the underinitiated to the realization that they actually are practitioners... and that if they don't start accepting that, there's a magickal clue-by-four waiting for them that will not be pleasant.

We've seen how many people come here, collect a thousand spirits and spells, and then implode.

It's important to teach these people what magick is, and how it's going to affect their lives... before they reach that level. It's important for us as serious practitioners, because we don't enjoy the drama and the cleanup of such messes; it's also important for us because if we do nothing, say nothing, then we are responsible for the ignorance that causes those implosions. If nothing else, we are negligent, and unethical.

I feel it's vital to close that gap in understanding.

I'm not interested in using that article to actually TEACH magick - merely to explain enough about it that those who do not wish to be practitioners will walk away before they implode... and those that really do want this path will begin to study, practice, grow and stabilize... so they never implode, or if they do, the experience will be less shocking, and less messy, and they will recover faster.

Unfortunately, much of what I want to express in that article is... extremely difficult for me to articulate in a subtle and tactful way - leaving people to their ignorance and just waiting for them to implode and leave, while it does solve the problem of the individual person causing issues, does not solve the larger ethical problems, and I find that I'm emotionally invested in my ethical view of the matter.

Until I can express it in an intellectual way that is available to non-practitioners (or, more to the point, practitioners who have no clue that they're practitioners) while being non-judgmental of the causes of this issue, I can't write the article. It would be missing something, and the tone would drive away the people it most needs to be reaching.

I've been sitting on it for three weeks now. I have no idea when it will hatch - though usually a long gestation period on an article means that suddenly, at 2am when I'm trying to go to bed, I will spring to the computer and write the whole thing in under 20 minutes... but that moment hasn't come yet, so... I wait.

When I can finally put it into appropriate language, when I can finally conceptualize it, capture it, and pin it down... I look forward to others examining my work, refining it, challenging it, adding to it, questioning it... I love the whole process. I also look forward to the successful feeling I get when the group of people I'm specifically targeting with a piece sit up and notice, and are able to learn something they need.

Helping people learn what they need... it's the best feeling.

-Raven

"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
AFrog
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Another important thing!
Power means nothing, if you're not determined enough to reach your goal. Every spiritual act, be it magic or communication or whatever, rises and falls with the intensity of your willpower. The most powerful being can't do piggeldy without having the will to do something.

heypanda
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
My super power would be...: Anti-Gravity

So Raven, we are all here practitioners, even if we don't work with magick, and we will eventually implode? I'm curious to know why. I look forward to your article.

NyctophiliaRaven
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Everyone
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself.
My magical/paranormal name...: KITTY!!!!!!!!
Zodiac:

heypanda wrote:So Raven, we are all here practitioners, even if we don't work with magick, and we will eventually implode? I'm curious to know why. I look forward to your article.
I did write a little on this topic on another thread. Here's that post. I promise I will expand on this at a later date, but right now, it's just not jelling together right.

-Raven

http://www.creepyhollows.com/phpBB3/pos ... ml#p719620

"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series

Return to “Educational Material”