Meditation: What do I keep out?

Need help learning how to Meditate? Know any tricks on how to achieve it? Post here!
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Likes2Read wrote:In that case, acknowledging (aloud, perhaps) that those old coping strategies can be safely discarded, because your situation is entirely different now, is a step to consider. The subconscious mind sometimes needs to hear these things, so it can get to work on its new task... especially when the NEW task is a direct contradiction of the OLD task.

A book I have reread multiple times is Urban Shaman by Serge Kahili King, who wrote about Hawaiian shamanic teachings. They acknowledge separate aspects of our mind, Lono and Ku, that roughly (though not precisely) behave like our concepts of the conscious and subconscious minds. When you address the Ku in this way, aloud, you are telling it what you want it to do for you.

BUT. (There is always a "but", isn't there?) Before addressing the Ku, be aware that it doesn't perceive the concept of NO or NOT. So telling it "Do not be afraid" will have the opposite affect. Therefore, only tell your Ku what you DO want it to do, not what you do NOT want it to do.

The book does a better job explaining all this than I just did, so I highly recommend reading the book. But this concept has stuck with me for a lot of years.

So now, armed with a new reading assignment, craft some marching orders for your subconscious that will give it new, constructive things to work on, like "Do ABC", rather than telling it "Do not XYZ".
One more thing is the tendency to ponder on the past or future, 'hidden meaning relating to those' and the sensations of that for some reason rather than now. When I tried to meditate last time and managed to focus on the present, I could feel the sensations of things in present surroundings more again too. I do know if I could create anything or go anywhere the first I would do is go into a 'sanctuary' I created for myself where I can't be disrupted by any disharmony.

I did work on creativity as said but the problem was half the time trying to 'perfect' it by adding 'structure' when it felt 'too sloppy'. That could have been where the issue started. The fear of 'failure' or feeling judgement.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

-Which case the above causes my mind to lose touch with things that would be perceived as normal around me. Sometimes 'getting back home' from exploring them becomes hard unless I find a trigger which allows me to do it, and perceive the energy/impressions of present current surroundings around me.

Its kind of like the experience of being an 'open world' virtual reality/game, in which I might decide to after having a not so great experience pack up then move/reside somewhere very far away. Then return to the 'normal area' after finding it too isolated or getting into a bit of trouble.

I found a binding which is designed to shut out any 1 aspect from any of your 3 bodies if it bothers you too much or you have trouble controlling it, would recommend?

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Likes2Read wrote:Step one: block out physical distractions. Be away from rooms where the TV is blaring, people will try to engage you in conversation, and every other kind of external distraction can arise. If your home is a noise-fest under normal circumstances, consider meditating after everyone else is sleeping, or before anyone else wakes up. Heading out to a local library or park might work well, too. Put your phone on its "do not disturb" setting.

Realize that everyone starting out with meditating will deal with distracting thoughts arising. This is a given. The thing is that when something does cross your mind, just ignore it and let it pass right on through. Don't feed the distracting thought with attention or energy, because then IT will become the thing on your mind, frustration will arise about that, and the tranquil mindspace you were aiming for will go right out the window. So when an unwanted thought arises, don't even acknowledge it. It'll fade away more easily that way.
Talking because I tried to meditate by doing the 'relax mind' part but when I was doing it or had done it I needed to bring/trigger my mind to focus on present surroundings in order to feel its energies.

What should I do also if I have a tight heart chakra?

pathtosirius
new here
new here
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 0
My magical/paranormal name...: None

Likes2read thank you about the post on meditation that is very helpful! I do agree about just setting the intention on focusing on one thing at a time helps very much, rather than trying to multi-task during meditation.
Either set the intention on focusing on your breath or of your choosing helps

pathtosirius
new here
new here
You are...: experienced
My magical/paranormal name...: None

servantofjustice what do you mean about tight chakra? During meditation one thing that opened my eyes was that if you are energetically sensitive, you can sense energy blockages whild just going immediately into meditation, these will manifest as physical sore-ness too. The Physical body and other different energy body isn't as separate as one may think, and the many sores and aches that one feels, even during meditation reflects on what is going on on multiple levels of your energy bodies.

postghost
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Spelled Number: 2
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Likes2Read wrote:Step one: block out physical distractions. Be away from rooms where the TV is blaring, people will try to engage you in conversation, and every other kind of external distraction can arise. If your home is a noise-fest under normal circumstances, consider meditating after everyone else is sleeping, or before anyone else wakes up. Heading out to a local library or park might work well, too. Put your phone on its "do not disturb" setting.

Track down some apps, if you have a smartphone, with guided meditations. Or search for YouTube videos with meditations in them. With those, you will be able to turn your attention TO one thing and focus on it, rather than turning attention AWAY from countless things and fretting that you haven't blocked out enough unwanted items yet.

Realize that everyone starting out with meditating will deal with distracting thoughts arising. This is a given. The thing is that when something does cross your mind, just ignore it and let it pass right on through. Don't feed the distracting thought with attention or energy, because then IT will become the thing on your mind, frustration will arise about that, and the tranquil mindspace you were aiming for will go right out the window. So when an unwanted thought arises, don't even acknowledge it. It'll fade away more easily that way.

Consider taking a class in something like yoga, or even meditation itself. Are there any new age bookstores or metaphysical shops near you? They might have books or classes you can make use of. If not, or if you think your family would throw a fit over having a new age book under their roof, look into an e-reader and purchase electronic books. (Though Kindle and Nook also have apps so you can read your e-books on phones, tablets, and computers, too.)

Finally, practice regularly. No one achieves nirvana the first time they try meditating, just as no one is going to win at Wimbledon the first time they pick up a tennis racket. Skills are developed over time and with practice, and with learning from mistakes. So be persistent.
thank you for the advice, it neatly sums up the main points about meditation. What I read and practised was concentrating on something (most often on your breath), just observe it as someone from the outside and don't think about it

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Another problem I often have is phlegm or blocked and runny noses. Is there any way to do this differently or something else you can do when needing to deal with it? Often happens or so in mornings and anytime.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

Any meds to knock out those symptoms will help. There are non-drowsy solutions available in the event you want to avoid that oarticukar side effect.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Also am I supposed to be clear of all my schedules if I want to meditate? Like being on holiday session or what?

I often have had assignments, and the recent flow I've completed in the last week were practically like 'slave labor'. Even ruined what was meant to be Halloween as a day for example.

At the same time I find it easier to visualize things from memory or what I've seen when doing it? I can draw anything or concepts I remember with ease for example and mould clay into it which I bought recently. I'm practically great at 'copying' things and remember faces 10x better than names.

I find that when pursuing artwork btw my expectations were often too 'perfect' and not 'realistic' enough to be expressed in the physical without lots of effort, which was what made me overthink to a point of not drawing them sometimes. When I did it imperfectly and failed to achieve would feel 'embarrassed' then try again from start.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

If we had to clear our schedules utterly, no one outside of a monastery would be able to meditate. :) Just block out time in your day where you won't be interrupted. Before anyone else in the house rises, or after everyone else is asleep, might have to be the go-to time frame if they're prone to interrupt or create distractions.

Try all methods of visualization (from memory, creating on-the-fly, and everything in between). Don't rely on just one thing. Expanding inner horizons is good. :)

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.

Return to “Meditation”