Fehu is the essence of abundance and the mark of Greed!

asbjorntorvol
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: Male
Zodiac:

Money Is Often The Cause For Conflict!... A Rich Mind Is Fuller Than A Lined Pocket!... Fehu Is The Essence Of Abundance But Also The Mark Of Greed!!!

Out of all the Runes in the Futhark one of the most common runes to find practitioners using is Fehu, and this is no surprise given its somewhat obvious connection to wealth which by most translates directly to money. The word Fehu in direct translation is livestock and wealth and given how money is such a big motivation for magickal practitioners it is no surprise to see the livestock aspect almost completely forgotten by most. This is not to say that wealth is somehow bad or irrelevant but, it is not its sole focus. Fehu does have a strong relation to wealth for better for worse.

In my first day working with Fehu there were a few images that came to me. The first of these was the color gold. The second was the fact that it was the first rune in their alphabetical order. This said to me one thing, Fehu is the first sound and the runes are vibrations and sounds. However, to think of it as only gold and wealth to me is a big misunderstanding of its deeper meaning. I would say that Fehu doesn’t only represent money or wealth but rather value as a whole be it intrinsic or otherwise. The things that we value which could be love or knowledge are also represented in this rune. It connects to the things that we value whatever that may be and so when calling upon Fehu we are calling also upon value itself. This makes perfect sense in our society as most find value in gold or money itself. We even have a saying “your weight in gold” which resembles this much.

Another observation I had on this rune is its appealing quality. It is a rune that could be called upon to make something more appealing. Its gold correspondence which in my visualizations was a gold aura to me is symbolic of beauty. Our society loves gold and so much material beauty is centered around the attraction of gold. In fact, gold, itself is a symbol of great wealth. Thus, Fehu is the rune of beauty and appealing. A rune that radiates attraction to those who peer upon it.

There Is Value In All Things!... To Create Is To Breathe Life Into Beauty!!!

Fehu however does not only correspond with the abundance of common value but in all things. Creation itself. The opposite of abundance is nothing and that is symbolic of Gunningagap. In fact, I would go as far to say that Fehu is the rune embodying creation itself. Nothing into abundance. Fehu is the rune of manifestation itself representing manifested reality. The rune of the corporeal world. To some degree this would make Fehu the rune of light and it is often considered a bright rune. It would also be fair to note the cow in the creation myth.

Old English Rune Poem

Fehu is a comfort to everybody,

though everyman ought to deal it out freely

if he wants to get approval from the Lord

Old Norwegian Rune Poem

Fehu causes strife amongst kinsmen,

The wolf grows up in the woods

Old Icelandic Rune Poem

Fehu is the cause of strife amongst kinsmen

And the fire of the flood tide

And the path of the serpent.

In the rune poem, it says that Wealth is a source of discord among Kin and I would agree with this. Money can be a complicated thing and does play a major part in conflicts. It only takes a quick glance at the general opinion on people who are rich from someone who is not to gather this. Those without money typically despise those who do, and those with lots of money tend to not care much for those without it. This doesn’t account for everyone mind. With this rune, one of the lessons I have found is in the realization that the more wealth we attain the more envy others may potentially feel toward us and as such we must be aware of potential discord. However, if we look at the Hávamál it does give some advice on our wealth.

“Hail, ye Givers! a guest is come;

say! where shall he sit within?

Much pressed is he who fain on the hearth

would seek for warmth and weal.”

The Hávamál to this extend and in relation to Fehu pushes us to share in our wealth. To enrich others and ourselves, not allowing ourselves to succumb to greed. Greed is the curse of Fehu and the mark is very easily to see on someone. This doesn’t mean only money but rather that which we can give. To some that may be knowledge, to others that may be joy. It could be physical things too such as food, water, warmth or even money. Thus, another lesson of Fehu is generosity, overcoming greed can greatly benefit one’s life and sharing with others may offer new opportunities, new insights, and more potential value. Help another when we can, but at the same time do not run ourselves dry. Another lesson is that there may be times we need help and it may cause discord when we ask others to help provide it. There will be times in our life where we need a helping hand, and that can be a big burden onto others.

One of the other important concepts with Fehu is to not let money, gold, riches, or wealth stop you from moving forward. Creation requires progress and you cannot progress while stagnant. If Fehu is the manifestation of things, creation, abundance then it is also the Rune of life itself. Life is always in motion and we move forward through work and pushing forward. We should be appreciative and grateful for what we have but never allow that to make us stagnant or complacent. We must see the value in things but continue to push forward with the currents of life and learning. There is more to life and magick than just money.

However, Fehu can also represent the lack of money and wealth. Poverty is something that rolls with the tides of time, as such we must be able to push through that poverty and with Fehu we should be like the wolf and hunt in the places he knows best. The reason the wolf hunts where it hunts is because he knows he will get what he needs there. The wolf sticks to what he knows, what he is naturally good at and as such abundance is natural. Know your strengths, know what your good at and recognize what areas need work.

When it comes to ritual Fehu can be utilized in several ways. Of course, money spells are all but common but one of the more uncommon uses for Fehu is its ability to bring life into something. If I were to create some form of fetish, talisman or magickal object Fehu would be perfect for breathing life into that item. Additionally, Fehu could be used in fertility rituals given its close relationship with life. Or be it simply to aid in the inspiration of new ideas the possibilities are endless with this rune.

Stay True & Stay Awesome!!!
A.Torvol

Stay True & Stay Awesome
darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

asbjorntorvol wrote: Out of all the Runes in the Futhark one of the most common runes to find practitioners using is Fehu, and this is no surprise given its somewhat obvious connection to wealth which by most translates directly to money.
Any examples of how to use Fehu in spell or ritual?

And how about other runes?

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
SullyTheStag
new here
new here
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 5
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Animal/elves
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Stag or Elk
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Sully? (I have yet to truly find out)
Zodiac:

Hey!
(It excites me to find a person interested in runes because I can't find many.)

But let me explain something about runes and how to use them to help you further understand them. Runes have many meanings, among them a literal meaning such as fehu and cattle, or thurisaz and thorns. However, they also are meant to have a more self based meaning of sorts based on sort of the literal meaning. Personally, I think of how a rune affects me in life and how it affects nature and others as well because it will help you begin to understand how it will affect you before you use it. Runes are technically sounds and vibrations if you go along the galdr path, however runes can also be used as symbols to incite a certain energy or feeling to help yourself progress because runes are solar energy based as opposed to lunar energy. Another way to begin to understand runes even more so is to study what they are used in and to study what gods and beings they are associated with. Now I would give you other ways to do this with runes but that is your own path to take, to learn and understand runes is a self journey that shouldn't be influenced greatly from others unless its advice on what to do for the basics.

I also suggest that if you plan to further learn this topic go to real rune magick, its a website I actually trust above other sites when it comes to runes.

Also Darkwing, I wouldn't do rituals just yet. Wax on and wax off sort of deal. You have to learn and understand runes, or at least I recommend you learn and understand the ones you plan on using on a spiritual level or else there can be adverse effects. If you aren't careful with runes, the way you say them the way you write them, you can mess up royally. And I wouldn't recommend using runes unless you are absolutely sure about it.

Be careful and goodluck,
Sully (stag)

Ships are safe in the harbor but that’s not what ships are meant for!
Whimsy
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Unsure
If I could be anything, I would be...: A type of elemental
My magical/paranormal name...: Not yet known

This was quite an interesting read! Thank you for posting! I've never messed with runes before but this sounds really neat.

I'm fond of this Fehu rune already and I can see the complexity of this path.

So these runes, do you charge them in the sunlight then? How to you go about using them in the beginning? I have some ideas on the things that I would like to do with them but I wouldn't want to accidentally take it too far, too soon. Dabbling in things that you don't understand can be very tricky.

Do runes compliment eachother in certain ways? Can you meditate on them and gain an understanding of their meaning?

Cheshire Kitten ^..^ :)|

The Old God sleeps
down in the dark, moist,
odorous underfoot,
Waiting for us
To put down our roots.
Whimsy
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Unsure
If I could be anything, I would be...: A type of elemental
My magical/paranormal name...: Not yet known

I read more on Fehu and then Uruz which caught my eye.

Here's a quick article on that one
http://runesecrets.com/rune-meanings/uruz

I believe that the two of them are good concepts that are worthy to explore further and I feel like they could help me somehow on my own path.

Cheshire Kitten ^..^ :)|

The Old God sleeps
down in the dark, moist,
odorous underfoot,
Waiting for us
To put down our roots.
Antares80
neophyte
neophyte
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: White Arts
Zodiac:

I'm just learning runes! I was taught that aside from the associations given here, Fehu is also a matriarchal rune, (through its association with Freya) and in my readings it has read as such... any thoughts?

A Boobrie, 3 Courtwind Angels and a WA familiar have joined me, all from Magnolia and CH <3

0x.
Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)

I felt a very strong connection with runes that made me purchase a set of quartz runes to use for divination, but since I knew nothing about them I had to get a book about them. I still haven't had time to delve into it (so they sit in my closet waiting), but your post has really drawn my interest. I find this extremely fascinating. I don't know what my connection with runes is, but I have wanted a set of them forever, and even now I still feel the set that I have isn't exactly what I was looking for. LOL That may be why I haven't delved into the subject much. I made the wrong choice. When I think intuitively, I'd like a set of bone runes. Wood has some appeal too, but bone feels right. The quartz runes I purchased feel... like I was trying too hard. Can't really explain that.

This discussion of Fehu brought to mind my Forest Imp friend's abilities. My understanding is that he is strongly skilled in manifestation due to his very strong alignment with Earth energy. The creation and abundance discussion of Fehu echoed in my mind his skill in this regard.

I would be highly interested in more discussion on the runes.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
Antares80
neophyte
neophyte
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: White Arts
Zodiac:

They can be VERY honest. Brutally honest. Lol

A Boobrie, 3 Courtwind Angels and a WA familiar have joined me, all from Magnolia and CH <3

0x.
SullyTheStag
new here
new here
Your favorite spirit to work with: Animal/elves
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Stag or Elk
My magical/paranormal name...: Sully? (I have yet to truly find out)
Zodiac:

Whimsy wrote:This was quite an interesting read! Thank you for posting! I've never messed with runes before but this sounds really neat.

I'm fond of this Fehu rune already and I can see the complexity of this path.

So these runes, do you charge them in the sunlight then? How to you go about using them in the beginning? I have some ideas on the things that I would like to do with them but I wouldn't want to accidentally take it too far, too soon. Dabbling in things that you don't understand can be very tricky.

Do runes compliment eachother in certain ways? Can you meditate on them and gain an understanding of their meaning?
From my understanding you don’t really charge runes, however due to my inexperience with rune carvings I am not definite of that answer. And in the beginning it’s best to see what calls out to you and to begin to understand how and why, and what ways it affects you and can help you. And I actually frequently meditate on them and understand there meaning through means of meditation. And they most definitely compliment eachother.

-Sully (Stag)

Ships are safe in the harbor but that’s not what ships are meant for!

Return to “Educational Material”