Mind addicted to simulation?

Need help learning how to Meditate? Know any tricks on how to achieve it? Post here!
CatalpaSourwood
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 40
Spelled Number: 70
Your favorite spirit to work with: Hellhound
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Catalpa Sourwood

Abundance wrote:One thing that has helped me is learning how to observe the thinker. Eckhart Tolle discusses this in his book The Power of Now. It's not a new concept,and has been brought up by great teachers of spiritual nature many times. As humans, we so identify with the mind, to the point where it often takes over our entire life, and we forget how to be our true self. Especially in this busy fast pace world that has so many distractions. His book, and some seminars are on YouTube if you want to check it out.
Great advice! Thank you.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

What do you think it means for example that if you are put in an isolated/extremely solitary environment with 0 people at all nor much activity, that you start to become tired/sleepy without anything to do (especially without the people around you, maybe to give meaning but who knows?

And somehow when there is people around you, maybe interacting in something with them or their activity you might be less prone to be sleepy/tired.

For instance in MMO gaming I choose multiplayer communities because their activity somehow energises me. Especially when big crowds of people are around they keep me very energised for hours. But when they’re gone and whatever’s there is repetitive start to feel tired-bored.

HorizonSignal
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 5
My super power would be...: Anti-Gravity

That just sounds like you're extraverted. I'm the opposite (introversion); large groups wear me down and I need to retreat to get that 'recharged' feeling.

In response to your OP stuff, I think that's just a symptom of modern/western life. With the internet (and worse, the smartphone which lets you take it with you EVERYWHERE), there is never a shortage of novelty. You become habituated to instant access to the new. I started working with this aspect with an electronics 'fast'... I unplugged everything for 3 days, and stuck to reading books, meditation, cleaning the house.. etc.

The mental-music thing is interesting to see spoken about; I was never sure if anyone else had something like it. I've had the 'internal ipod' stuck on since I was 14 or 15 and only just started to try and take back control of that piece of my attention. I've tried to combat that by limiting my music consumption to JUST when I can give it my full attention and really savor it; no more 'background listening.' The rest is just sheer mindfulness to notice when I've started mental playback, and then focusing attention elsewhere (like the immediate sound environment).

Return to “Meditation”