Examining our vocabulary: WA, DA, BA. Would you change these terms? How?

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

I was listening to a podcast called The Witch Wave yesterday, and an interesting point was raised. Both the podcaster and her guest are people who make a point of being as inclusive as possible to people of every race, every ethnicity, every sexual orientation, every gender, etc. Well, I'm paraphrasing here, but when a question regarding WA and BA came up, the guest on the show said that she didn't prefer to assign specific colors to magic, as in human history, making that kind of value judgment based on colors has led the human race into some pretty terrible places.

I thought, "She has a point." The Hollywood stereotype of "White Arts good, Black Arts evil" runs rampant, and is likely to have been deeply imprinted on the psyches of most people before they ever come to practicing magic themselves, and understand that there are also infinite shades of grey in between the two opposite extremes.

But in human history, making judgments on HUMANS who are white or black has resulted in some of the ugliest actions that our species has been capable of committing. :( So I can see how there could be people for whom applying "white" as a shorthand for good, and "black" as a shorthand for evil, would be an emotionally painful concept.

So, I thought I would bring this point up here, and see if anyone has ideas on OTHER ways to phrase ourselves without resorting to colors. Who has some ideas of what we could say instead?

I know that BA magick has also been referred to as "baneful" magick, so my first thought is that we have already got a term that is in use, and that people will understand because they are already familiar with it. Baneful magick. But what is the opposite of baneful? Beneficial? Would we want to say "Beneficial magick" for the workings that heal, build, and create, and "Baneful magick" for the workings that harm, sicken, and destroy?

I'm just tossing some ideas out there to see how folks feel about it. If you have other ideas, I would love to see them.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
xxMrS4nxx
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 9
If I could be anything, I would be...: Divine Being
My super power would be...: Laser-beam eyes
My magical/paranormal name...: I don't know
Zodiac:

well if u dun wan use colour why dont say good,neutral or bad? or classify based on it type atk, def, and etc

I'm a newbie and will stay a newbie for more than 10 year maybe! 2wk 2wk
Inedible
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

I thought that positive magic and negative magic were already in use. And you could always add neutral.

conxtion
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gods
If I could be anything, I would be...: Above God
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Michael
Zodiac:

To most people, Dark Arts = Black Arts

I would prefer to use Lisa Hankin's way -White Arts, Grey Arts, Dark Arts

Wealth, Health and Happiness are my nature.
Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

conxtion wrote:To most people, Dark Arts = Black Arts

Leaving aside the avoiding of using "white" or "black" for a moment, if I had my way, the terms we use here would be "White Arts, Grey Arts, Black Arts". That, to me, gives a clearer picture of the full spectrum of the Arts.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
conxtion
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gods
If I could be anything, I would be...: Above God
My magical/paranormal name...: Michael
Zodiac:

Come to think of it, the opposite of White is Black, and the opposite of Dark is Light; so yeah, it should be:
a) White Arts, Grey Arts, Black Arts
or
b) Light Arts, Grey Arts, Dark Arts.

Likes2Read wrote:
conxtion wrote:To most people, Dark Arts = Black Arts

Leaving aside the avoiding of using "white" or "black" for a moment, if I had my way, the terms we use here would be "White Arts, Grey Arts, Black Arts". That, to me, gives a clearer picture of the full spectrum of the Arts.

Wealth, Health and Happiness are my nature.
LilyCake
neophyte
neophyte

I was raised in an Asian tradition and never believed that morality was so black and white. I don't buy into the system at all, and most of the sellers that I buy from don't use it either.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

LilyCake wrote:I was raised in an Asian tradition and never believed that morality was so black and white. I don't buy into the system at all, and most of the sellers that I buy from don't use it either.
Is there a different system those traditions use instead that is similar in function to the Western approach? Or do Asian-tradition practitioners who are encountering the Western school of thought for the first time tend to wonder "What on earth are these people talking about, making differentiations along those arbitrary lines?"

Zero
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Loki, Immortal
Zodiac:

Neutral vs Malevolent vs Benevolent.

I will tell you such foul truths and such beautiful lies, you will want to sew my lips shut.

Can a heart still break once it's stopped beating?
LilyCake
neophyte
neophyte

Likes2Read wrote:
LilyCake wrote:I was raised in an Asian tradition and never believed that morality was so black and white. I don't buy into the system at all, and most of the sellers that I buy from don't use it either.
Is there a different system those traditions use instead that is similar in function to the Western approach? Or do Asian-tradition practitioners who are encountering the Western school of thought for the first time tend to wonder "What on earth are these people talking about, making differentiations along those arbitrary lines?"
My mother isn't a spirit keeper or anything like that. She just taught me that morality was much more complicated than black and white. Most of the sellers I buy from (who are westerners) simply describe their spirits' morality in their descriptions, which gives a fuller picture of who the spirits are.

Return to “General Questions”