Huldra

Which legends thrill you? Make you wonder? Shaped your beliefs? We'd love to know!
Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
Zodiac:

Let me just start by saying that I find folklore of different cultures interesting, and glad that there is such a subforum here on the CH forum.

The Huldra/Hulder is definitely an important part of the Norwegian folklore; right up there with the Nøkken, Tomte, Trolls, Dovregubben (The Mountain King). All of these are considered harmful or lethal to human beings, with perhaps the exception to the Tomte, but you wouldn't really want to annoy or irritate them either, since i.e. a Barn Tomte might pull a prank on you or frighten your livestock, or so I have heard.

The Huldra is said to take the form of a gorgeous, young maiden that often lures men into her trap. Her back has a hole in it like a hollow trunk of a tree and if a human was to see that, it would no bode well for that human. Mostly the folklore tells that if you run into this living entity, that your fate has practically been sealed.

The Huldra also has a tail -- like the Trolls in the Norwegian folklore do -- but I suppose that the unsuspecting target of the Huldra is so enthralled by her beauty, that they are unable to see their tail.

It also said that if there is a low floor of white mist over the field, is actually the Huldra dancing in that field amongst the straws of grass and wild flowers.

There also said to be a male version of The Huldra; the Hulderkall (English: Hulder Man), although there isn't much that has been said about the Hulder Men. Supposedly they just like the Huldra, only with women. So the only difference is the gender, so to speak.

And even though you know these might just be oral stories, they still shape you somehow. If you see the low mist hanging above the field, you think "Oh, that's the Huldra dancing on the field."

Most may just brush it off as silly, old tales or superstition, but I guess when you're into the paranormal you are likely to be more open to supernatural beings, and suspend disbelief. Or maybe I am just full of nonsense.

Dreamerunknown
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Yeah right, call the right stuff lol ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvtT3UyhibQ

:@
Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Sorry, I am afraid I don't follow you, but I loved the herdingkall.

Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

I realize that I may have phrased things a bit poorly in my original post, and that the Hulders (plural form of the word "Huldra") are not perhaps considered harmful or lethal, as in Black Arts harmful or lethal, but from what I have gathered from Norwegian folklore, is that people here in the old times were often cautious or wary, when it came to Norwegian folklore creatures because something bad or unfortunate may befall them, in meeting with the Norwegian folklore creature, if they ever ran into them. So sometimes they took every precaution necessary as to avoid running into them or being caught off-guard.

I realize there are always two sides of a coin, and do not claim to know every side of Norwegian folklore, but one part of this subforum's description does ask how a folklore or legend has shaped people, and that is what I tried to go for here. Again, I realize that I may have worded myself a bit better.

But my personal impression of the Norwegian folklore when it comes to the Huldra is; to be polite and respectful of the Huldra and the territory she is a guardian of, don't disgrace her, & to be cautious. The same goes for other Norwegian folklore creatures as well, as living entities, that may or may not be assigned a guardian of a natural habitat; such as caves, lakes, bogs, mountainous terrain, etc.

Just thought I should clear this up as to avoid any future misunderstandings. Thank you!

Dreamerunknown
neophyte
neophyte

Many beings love the call ;)

Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

I wouldn't be surprised if they do 2hp

MistMarianne
neophyte
neophyte
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Reminds me a bit of Mavka from Slavic folklore
No back, also lure young men into the woods, where they "tickle" them to death. Live in forests, mountain caves,fields and held special love for dancing and games.
Oh, and flowers ;)

Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Never heard of the Mavka, but it is somewhat similar to the Huldra - only that they (the Huldrer) has been said to bring the demise of the men they've allured, if they failed to satisfy her.

The mention of the Mavka has made me a little curious, so I think I need to look up this Slavic folklore creature, and read more about them. Thanks! :D

Ooh, and another thing the Huldrer and the Mavkas share in common, when it comes to the dancing.

And yes, flowers. Flowers are purdy. :D

Dreamerunknown
neophyte
neophyte

Yeah Slavic folklore has a lot of interesting stories, like that snake shifter woman who wanted to marry a man, then to expose her they put magpie eggs on the table at the day of the marriage banquet. She saw them and put out her snake tongue to devour them. Through that she was exposed and the man was saved.

Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Wow, that was a good call of the ones who came up with idea, and in the process saves the groom, then.

Also, I think other countries has folklore with the same theme; with a female supernatural creature wanting to take, or that have taken, a mortal man for husband. Like in Swedish and Japanese folklore.

But those folklore stories shifts the empathy in the favor of the bride-to-be or wife, since the man betrayed her trust in doing what she told him specifically not to do.

Return to “Folklore & Legends”